Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → AAAAAHHHHH!! Stupid people!
AAAAAHHHHH!! Stupid people!
2007-01-25, 3:47 PM #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zwbhAXe5yk&NR

Yes, God exists. Why? THE BANANA SAID SO!
"It is not advisable, James, to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener."
"Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it."
2007-01-25, 3:48 PM #2
Heh, that's an oldie. Doesn't help his case that wild bananas are so full of seeds that they're hardly edible for us.
2007-01-25, 3:51 PM #3
A fresh banana also had a proper structure (though, perhaps, not integrity) for another thing... :ninja:
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-01-25, 4:27 PM #4
:psyduck:
Attachment: 15260/chimp.jpg (13,088 bytes)
2007-01-25, 4:33 PM #5
Originally posted by Recusant:
Heh, that's an oldie. Doesn't help his case that wild bananas are so full of seeds that they're hardly edible for us.

Haha, yeah, banana's today have been bread for convenience by man, not divine intervention.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-01-25, 4:45 PM #6
Why did creationists have to go and co-opt one of my favourite fruits; that's not fair. Bananas are yummy.
Stuff
2007-01-25, 4:58 PM #7
You have to admit, some things ARE too perfect for them to be made by random chance.

Bananas, however, is a bad example.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-01-25, 5:18 PM #8
Who said anything about random chance? :confused:
Stuff
2007-01-25, 5:40 PM #9
Those idiots remind me of an excellent rebuttal to ID buttnuggetry.
2007-01-25, 5:57 PM #10
Originally posted by Glyde Bane:
You have to admit, some things ARE too perfect for them to be made by random chance.

No I don't.
omnia mea mecum porto
2007-01-25, 6:02 PM #11

Yeah, some things are too perfect for them to be made by random chance. Luckily, they weren't made by random chance.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-01-25, 6:40 PM #12
"AAAAAHHHHH!! Stupid people!" <-- I imagine God must be thinking this ALL the time.
2007-01-25, 6:44 PM #13
Christians can have the Banana. But us Atheists are claiming Starfruit and Pomegranates.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-01-25, 6:48 PM #14
Wait is this real? Or is a joke?
2007-01-25, 7:05 PM #15
I think atheists should get tomatoes because no one seems to think they're really fruit.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-01-25, 7:38 PM #16
Originally posted by Wolfy:
A fresh banana also had a proper structure (though, perhaps, not integrity) for another thing... :ninja:

[sub]Ask your mom about this.[/sub]
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-01-25, 8:32 PM #17
It's just as dumb for you to think all or even a majority of Christians believe this stuff as it is for this guy to think there is any way to prove God's existence. All arguments coming from proponents of creationism and intelligent design show a fundamental misunderstanding of evolution, yet all the attacks flying back attack the religion and not the individual's logic. News for the naive: I believe in God. I believe in evolution. And, no, I do not believe in intelligent design. Anyone who believes in intelligent design believes that God is a moron, because there is nothing intelligent about the way we are designed.

And, besides, bananas are the Super Fruit. If you could eat only one thing for ever, the banana is a really damn good choice. So stop being a bunch of asses just because you don't believe in God - the banana will still taste good even if some nut thinks it's proof of God!
Wikissassi sucks.
2007-01-26, 12:16 AM #18
I swear we've had this exact same thread before, and I'm going to say what I did last time:

If anything, bananas are proof that God exists and hates the human race. They are a terrible atrocity that make me gag.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2007-01-26, 12:23 AM #19
Smock, since most humans like bananas, I think only one thing is proved.

God hates you.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2007-01-26, 12:55 AM #20
You people should read the comic book Preacher. All the 66 issues of it.
幻術
2007-01-26, 2:30 AM #21
I'm with Smock: I've disliked bananas for as long as I can remember. They aren't just something I don't like because I had a bad experience in my childhood and never gave them another chance, either. They just don't taste good to me.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2007-01-26, 2:50 AM #22
Banana is the most popular fruit in Finland. You just proved you aren't a real Finn, Krokodile. Shame on you.

Isn't there only one major subspecies of the cultivated banana? It makes it extremely vulnerable to devastating disease scenarios. Hardly perfect...
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2007-01-26, 4:27 AM #23
Originally posted by Isuwen:
It's just as dumb for you to think all or even a majority of Christians believe this stuff as it is for this guy to think there is any way to prove God's existence. All arguments coming from proponents of creationism and intelligent design show a fundamental misunderstanding of evolution, yet all the attacks flying back attack the religion and not the individual's logic. News for the naive: I believe in God. I believe in evolution. And, no, I do not believe in intelligent design. Anyone who believes in intelligent design believes that God is a moron, because there is nothing intelligent about the way we are designed.

Well that was random. I don't think anyone here has actually said anything like that in this thread.
2007-01-26, 4:32 AM #24
Banana must be one of the stupidest godbotherer arguments ever.

Oh well.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-01-26, 4:42 AM #25
Originally posted by Emon:
Yeah, some things are too perfect for them to be made by random chance. Luckily, they weren't made by random chance.

Such as the universe, where most theories suggest it was made by random chance :P
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-01-26, 1:03 PM #26
Originally posted by lassev:
Banana is the most popular fruit in Finland. You just proved you aren't a real Finn, Krokodile. Shame on you.

Isn't there only one major subspecies of the cultivated banana? It makes it extremely vulnerable to devastating disease scenarios. Hardly perfect...

It's the most popular fruit in America, too. Followed closely by apples and then distantly everything else.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-01-26, 2:43 PM #27
Originally posted by Koobie:
You people should read the comic book Preacher. All the 66 issues of it.

quoted.

seconded.

bananas are okay as long as they'r enot in smoothies.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2007-01-26, 3:38 PM #28
Pretty much everything in that video is strong evidence in favour of evolution.

Fruit is edible because it is a means of seed dispersal, what better way to ensure your offspring is widespread than to be eaten by an animal and have your seeds pooped out miles away?

If the fact that the banana is a perfectly ergonomic fruit for human (and ape) hands isn't just a coincidence it's because the banana and apes probably evolved alongside each other. Of course, you all agree with me anyway.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2007-01-26, 5:14 PM #29
Originally posted by Detty:
Pretty much everything in that video is strong evidence in favour of evolution.

Fruit is edible because it is a means of seed dispersal, what better way to ensure your offspring is widespread than to be eaten by an animal and have your seeds pooped out miles away?

How does this have anything to do with evolution? It seems like just as much of a leap to say God brilliantly designed plants with an efficient way of dispersing seeds.
2007-01-26, 5:23 PM #30
Such as the universe, where most theories suggest it was made by random chance :P

No they don't.
>>untie shoes
2007-01-26, 6:53 PM #31
Originally posted by Axis:
How does this have anything to do with evolution? It seems like just as much of a leap to say God brilliantly designed plants with an efficient way of dispersing seeds.

No, because that adds a needless God entity.

Hypothetical Situation: Plants need to disperse seeds in order to maximise possibility of rooting, not all areas are suitable for growth nor will they always remain suitable. As it stands plants just dump their seeds on the ground where they stand and let them grow there.

Immediate Problem: All of the offspring are directly competing for the same resources and quickly make the area devoid of the natural resources required for growth.

Freak Mutation: One plant produces seeds that manage to get slightly further away, the offspring don't compete for resources to quite the same level and therefore more survive. This means of dispersal can be tiny spiky barbs that attach to other creatures, the propeller flight of sycamore seeds or even scents that encourage animals to eat them. Regardless of the method, it's a completely random mutation but it's beneficial.

Inevitable Result: Generations pass and these means of dispersal become more reliable as it's always beneficial to disperse to a certain extent. The scented seeds develop an edible fruit, the animals love these, over time the fruits become more and more delicious. It's a brilliant way of making animals do all the hard work for the plant.

What's that? A monkey: Look at these monkeys, they seem to be quite good at staying alive, swinging from tree to tree. They seem to be quite good at doing things with their hands too. What if the plants throw in a few random mutations that happen to make them slightly more appealing to the monkeys? Those plants are bound to do well. Maybe a shape that's easier to grip, perhaps a thick skin to protect the delicious fruit but that's also easy to remove if you have the right kind of limbs.

Oh look, the monkeys became people, but they still like the lovely long and slightly bent fruit.

That's just one completely made up way it could have happened. It's also a lot easier for me to believe than that God made the banana just so that we could eat it easily.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2007-01-26, 6:58 PM #32
Well said.
2007-01-26, 8:56 PM #33
I understand where you're coming from, but for me its just easier to believe that God made the banana so that we could eat it easily. This video definitely comes across as being cheezy, though. I understand where you're coming from Detty, and I respect that.

;)
2007-01-26, 9:02 PM #34
Doesn't anyone find the idea of a God who set up these awesome systems like physics and evolution so he didn't have to do any minute work a lot cooler than a God who designs every single detail?
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2007-01-26, 9:48 PM #35
It is rather strange and somewhat nonsensical that in this dangerous and ever-changing universe of chaos, from exploding nebulae in space down to the violent life of an atom, such trivial and ill-defined things such as "sin" and "salvation" exist. The earth is caught is sea of deadly radiation and the smallest defect in our genetic makeup can kill us, therefore it isn't surprising that it is quite hard to believe, for me atleast, that surreal concepts of religion would have any belonging to our reality.
2007-01-26, 9:54 PM #36
Are you suggesting that God is lazy?
:p

Anyway, Det, your "hypothetical situation" is fine, but it explains nothing.

Consider this:

1. Fruits evolved a "good taste" in order that animals would eat them and disperse the seed.

- or-

2. God created fruits with a "good taste" so that humans would have something to enjoy and spread seed.

I'm not taking a side here, I'm just saying that the ... edibility of bananas is not evidence of evolution any more than it is of Creation. It's simply a fact that can be interpreted in several ways depending on your worldview.

That said, I think it was pretty stupid of those guys on the video to try and use it as evidence, since it clearly doesn't prove anything one way or the other.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2007-01-26, 10:00 PM #37
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:

2. God created fruits with a "good taste" so that humans would have something to enjoy and spread seed.

Yeah, alright Dr. Dino.
2007-01-26, 10:02 PM #38
YOU WILL ALL KNOW THE TRUTH WHEN YOU ARE BURING IN HELL.

Also, when you're down there, ask Jim Morisson if it was worth it.
2007-01-26, 10:06 PM #39
[http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/stevenvaladez/a_pommysucks.jpg]

Why wasn't this posted earlier?
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-01-26, 10:06 PM #40
Ask Mother Teresa too.
omnia mea mecum porto

↑ Up to the top!