Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → AAAAAHHHHH!! Stupid people!
AAAAAHHHHH!! Stupid people!
2007-01-28, 9:44 AM #81
You know, I think I've recently been coming to realize what Nietzsche meant when he said that God is dead. (Without actually reading any Nietzsche, keep in mind. This is based off some light Wikipedia research and a lot of thinking). I've actually come to realize that I can agree with his claim despite the fact that I believe in God. The God he was talking about was the God like the old gods, the gods that were myths for how the world worked. He was claiming that we don't need God to explain how our world works anymore, and he's right. However, that doesn't destroy God, only one form of him that wasn't important to his nature to begin with.

Einstein wrote about this, too, though more genteelly. Science has broken free of Religion, thankfully, but there are still things that Science cannot answer, and those are the things Religion deals with.

And finally, having faith is not the same thing as being dumb. Quoted from the Wikipedia article on Kierkegaard:
Quote:
The leap of faith is his conception of how an individual would believe in God, or how a person would act in love. It is not so much a rational decision, as it is transcending rationality in favour of something more uncanny, that is, faith. As such he thought that to have faith is at the same time to have doubt. So, for example, for one to truly have faith in God, one would also have to doubt that God exists; the doubt is the rational part of a person's thought, without which the faith would have no real substance. Doubt is an essential element of faith, an underpinning. In plain words, to believe or have faith that God exists, without ever having doubted God's existence or goodness, would not be a faith worth having. For example, it takes no faith to believe that a pencil or a table exists, when one is looking at it and touching it. In the same way, to believe or have faith in God is to know that one has no perceptual or any other access to God, and yet still has faith in God.
Basically, there is a life room for both pure rationality and faith.

(Creationists are annoying)
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2007-01-28, 10:13 AM #82
Quote:
And finally, having faith is not the same thing as being dumb.

That assumption, that you must be stupid to believe in God, I see all the time among those people who believe they are superior because they don't believe in God. When I meet a person like that, there is only one way to deal with them. I ignore them.

Apparently, several of you have misunderstood my assertation that science is faith. I'll give you some more time to think about it. I'd rather you argued against the interpretation I meant you to have, and not the one you do. Though, as usual, you are likely too ingrained in the western style of imperical thought to understand it.
Wikissassi sucks.
2007-01-28, 10:46 AM #83
Originally posted by Isuwen:
Apparently, several of you have misunderstood my assertation that science is faith. I'll give you some more time to think about it. I'd rather you argued against the interpretation I meant you to have, and not the one you do. Though, as usual, you are likely too ingrained in the western style of imperical thought to understand it.

Your thinking is every bit as "imperical". If it seems people aren't understanding you, then explain anew so that they will. You can't affect their understanding capabilities but you can affect your own explanations.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2007-01-28, 1:45 PM #84
That assumption, that you must be stupid to believe in God, I see all the time among those people who believe they are superior because they don't believe in God. When I meet a person like that, there is only one way to deal with them. I ignore them.

It is irrational to believe in something that is not observable through evidence. Do you ignore everyone who doesn't believe in leprechauns?

Careful with your words, asserting that science is faith is just plain wrong. I'll assume by your earlier post, you meant we have faith in our own observations, as if our reality may or may not be real? Perhaps.. however, science resides in our observed reality, as does the idea of god, therefore debating the repercussions of both within this reality is useful.
Jedi Knight Enhanced
Freelance Illustrator
2007-01-28, 2:35 PM #85
Apparently, several of you have misunderstood my assertation that science is faith. I'll give you some more time to think about it. I'd rather you argued against the interpretation I meant you to have, and not the one you do.

Oh, do tell, what is the interpretation I have? If you think we are misinterpreting your assertion, then you should try to explain it better. Right now, you're just copping out from what was obviously a not well thought out statement.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-01-28, 2:35 PM #86
Attachment: 15293/beliefs.jpg (122,807 bytes)
2007-01-28, 4:12 PM #87
Wasn't Noah's Ark supposedly at Mount Ararat?
Back again
2007-01-28, 4:18 PM #88
We're elitist because we care.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-01-28, 4:19 PM #89
Quote:
It is therefore easy to see why the churches have always fought science and persecuted its devotees. On the other hand, I maintain that the cosmic religious feeling is the strongest and noblest motive for scientific research. Only those who realize the immense efforts and, above all, the devotion without which pioneer work in theoretical science cannot be achieved are able to grasp the strength of the emotion out of which alone such work, remote as it is from the immediate realities of life, can issue. What a deep conviction of the rationality of the universe and what a yearning to understand, were it but a feeble reflection of the mind revealed in this world, Kepler and Newton must have had to enable them to spend years of solitary labor in disentangling the principles of celestial mechanics! Those whose acquaintance with scientific research is derived chiefly from its practical results easily develop a completely false notion of the mentality of the men who, surrounded by a skeptical world, have shown the way to kindred spirits scattered wide through the world and through the centuries. Only one who has devoted his life to similar ends can have a vivid realization of what has inspired these men and given them the strength to remain true to their purpose in spite of countless failures. It is cosmic religious feeling that gives a man such strength. A contemporary has said, not unjustly, that in this materialistic age of ours the serious scientific workers are the only profoundly religious people.
Wikissassi sucks.
2007-01-28, 4:23 PM #90
Quote:
Your thinking is every bit as "imperical". If it seems people aren't understanding you, then explain anew so that they will. You can't affect their understanding capabilities but you can affect your own explanations.

I am not saying that you cannot understand because I have explained it wrong, I am saying that you cannot understand because you cannot understand. Eastern philosophy is lost on you.
Wikissassi sucks.
2007-01-28, 4:26 PM #91
And logic is completely lost on you.

"You X because you X."

...uh huh
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-01-28, 4:33 PM #92
More truth is discovered by idiots in a game of chance than geniuses following logical rules.
Wikissassi sucks.
2007-01-28, 4:35 PM #93
Yay, the old "modern science is flawed because it started out in the West" argument. Please actually give us cogent arguments, I'm afraid no one's going to listen if you keep telling us that you're super-special and fully understand Eastern philosophy while it's beyond the comprehension of us mere mortals. Seriously, I get tired of all the woo that relies on "alternative ways of knowing". When you said "too ingrained in the Western style of empirical thought" what you were saying was that we won't understand because we're too ingrained in a methodology that asks for evidence. Pray, tell me, why is that such a bad thing?
2007-01-28, 5:17 PM #94
Einstein said it better, as I've already quoted. The greatest scientists don't reject religion, they embrace it.

Quote:
"modern science is flawed because it started out in the West"
That's not at all what I said. I said believing in science took faith, not that the science was wrong.

Quote:
When you said "too ingrained in the Western style of empirical thought" what you were saying was that we won't understand because we're too ingrained in a methodology that asks for evidence.
Again, you are wrong. I was saying that you are too ingrained in a methodology that considers empirical logic to be the be all and end all, when it is actually one among equals.

Why do you think is that mankind is so inclined towards hating one another?
- That Texan guy on the Simpsons.
Wikissassi sucks.
2007-01-28, 5:38 PM #95
That quote is talking about devotion and inspiration, the final sentance being a comparison in that context. Where does it say science takes faith?
Jedi Knight Enhanced
Freelance Illustrator
2007-01-28, 5:40 PM #96
It doesn't, which is why I never used it in support of that claim.
Wikissassi sucks.
2007-01-28, 5:44 PM #97
Oh, my bad. Where does it say the greatest scientists embrace religion then? ;)
Jedi Knight Enhanced
Freelance Illustrator
2007-01-28, 5:49 PM #98
That is the meaning of the entire quote.
Wikissassi sucks.
2007-01-28, 5:56 PM #99
It's really not though. It's a comparison.

A great scientist is devoted like a preacher. A great scientist is inspired like a philosopher. In that way, science is like religion.

It doesnt mean scientists are religious. At least, that's what I get out of it.
Jedi Knight Enhanced
Freelance Illustrator
2007-01-28, 5:59 PM #100
If they are so like the religious, then what is that difference that keeps them from being religious?
Wikissassi sucks.
2007-01-28, 5:59 PM #101
Originally posted by Freelancer:
We're elitist because we care too much.

*cough*
2007-01-28, 6:09 PM #102
If they are so like the religious, then what is that difference that keeps them from being religious?

Wow, ok.

Belief in the supernatural or belief in anything without evidence. Faith.

That quote is drawing comparisons, because he is saying science is replacing religion as the driving force in our way of life. Comparisons on devotion, inspiration, and human strength.
Jedi Knight Enhanced
Freelance Illustrator
2007-01-28, 7:27 PM #103
But religion is not the belief in the supernatural or belief in anything without evidence. Perhaps your definition is too narrow?
Wikissassi sucks.
2007-01-28, 7:56 PM #104
Perhaps your definition is too narrow?

Perhaps your definition is too broad?
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2007-01-28, 8:34 PM #105
On the contrary, I would consider that the defining factor of religion.

But please, educate me as to why I'm wrong, and how it changes the meaning of that Einstein quote. :downs:
Jedi Knight Enhanced
Freelance Illustrator
2007-01-28, 8:40 PM #106
Didn't Jesus say religion was feeding the poor and taking care of widows, in which case, everyone is wrong?
2007-01-28, 8:47 PM #107
Jesus was a dumb hippy anyways.
2007-01-28, 8:50 PM #108
Yeah, but he drank a lot and hung out with whores and drifters, sounds like he knew how to party.
omnia mea mecum porto
2007-01-28, 8:54 PM #109
Yeah, thats true.

But his ideals were crap. What a bunch of dumb hippy crap. I bet I couldn't even tolerate talking to Jesus if we were both high.

Hey, wanna go put cigars out on people?
2007-01-28, 8:57 PM #110
But religion is not the belief in the supernatural or belief in anything without evidence.

You're right. Religion is the belief in the supernatural based on supplied evidence. Such evidence of course is totally :downs:
2007-01-28, 9:34 PM #111
Guys, Einstein wasn't saying that Science is Religion, he was saying that they have different goals that intertwine at some points (read the rest of the quotes I linked).
Quote:
The development from a religion of fear to moral religion is a great step in peoples' lives. And yet, that primitive religions are based entirely on fear and the religions of civilized peoples purely on morality is a prejudice against which we must be on our guard. The truth is that all religions are a varying blend of both types, with this differentiation: that on the higher levels of social life the religion of morality predominates. - Albert Einstein
Science attempts to tell us how the world works.
Religion attempts to help us lead better lives by giving us some convictions and morals.

The only problem is that Religion used to tell us how the world works, but as Nietzsche said (kind of), that God is dead.

Creationism isn't religion. Creationists are the same as scientists who believe that their work invalidates religion. They are both taking the belief they have in their chosen primary system and assuming that the tiny overlap means they are at war.
Ban Jin!
2007-01-28, 9:48 PM #112
Actually, it's really naive to say "religion gives us morals and science explains how the world works." The truth is, most religions are a hodgepodge of both. Most of the major religions attempt to describe historical events, and often, those historical events run contrary to the equivalent scientific history. What's worse is the doctrines in these religions are tied to these false histories.

It's fine if you want to relegate the history portion to the trash bin where it belongs and take the morals, but I don't even bother. It's pretty damn simple and more effective in my opinion to form your own morals.
2007-01-28, 9:58 PM #113
Science isn't faith, science is doubt. The most important part about the Scientific Method is disproving theories. There are no true scientific 'laws' - for instance, Newtons "laws" of motion don't actually work when you're talking about really big numbers or really small ones.

The Scientific Method takes infinite theories, infinite ideas and whittles them down until we have what is most likely (but not absolutely certain). The idea of creating a theory based on observation is simply a way of weeding out the ones that can be very easily disproven, as well as giving us a good starting point. After you develop a theory you test it. Then you publish your results and your experiment's procedure for other people to test. And test. And test. And then keep testing until someone proves the theory is bogus. The theory is never, ever, ever accepted as gospel or absolute fact.

The only people who have faith in science are people who don't understand it. I am not misinterpreting what you are saying, I am disagreeing with you and stating that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what science is.

What you're probably doing is confusing 'Science' with 'Technology', where engineers are basically forced to treat the scientific principles they're using as immutable fact in order to actually get any work done. When you design a bridge you generally don't design it to prevent spontaneous total existence failure, even though - scientifically speaking - that is a (infinitesimal) possibility in any structure; but, of course, designing something to prevent that would be rather stupid.
2007-01-28, 11:10 PM #114
Originally posted by Jon`C:
And test. And test. And then keep testing until someone proves the theory is bogus.

I'd like to point out that some theories (the very likely ones) may never be (at least completely) disproven. If you don't make that distinction, the :downs: people will run around thinking that science is an endless loop of proving itself wrong. Rather, it's an endless process of whittling away towards the truth. We can never truly get there, but we can get close enough to assemble a very good understanding.
2007-01-28, 11:35 PM #115
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Science isn't faith, science is doubt. The most important part about the Scientific Method is disproving theories. There are no true scientific 'laws' - for instance, Newtons "laws" of motion don't actually work when you're talking about really big numbers or really small ones.

The Scientific Method takes infinite theories, infinite ideas and whittles them down until we have what is most likely (but not absolutely certain). The idea of creating a theory based on observation is simply a way of weeding out the ones that can be very easily disproven, as well as giving us a good starting point. After you develop a theory you test it. Then you publish your results and your experiment's procedure for other people to test. And test. And test. And then keep testing until someone proves the theory is bogus. The theory is never, ever, ever accepted as gospel or absolute fact.

The only people who have faith in science are people who don't understand it. I am not misinterpreting what you are saying, I am disagreeing with you and stating that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what science is.

What you're probably doing is confusing 'Science' with 'Technology', where engineers are basically forced to treat the scientific principles they're using as immutable fact in order to actually get any work done. When you design a bridge you generally don't design it to prevent spontaneous total existence failure, even though - scientifically speaking - that is a (infinitesimal) possibility in any structure; but, of course, designing something to prevent that would be rather stupid.

I HATE YOU JONCEY. :argh:

I read through pages and pages of crap to make sure someone had posted about constantly trying to disprove scientific theory and you do it on the second to last post.

Gimboid :P
2007-01-29, 1:32 AM #116
Freelancer, the difference between forming your own morals and following a religion is that the main component of a religion is having the faith that you will be rewarded in this life and perhaps the next if you follow a set of standards. Belief in something unseen and probably unlikely is a required component of any religion.

What I understood Kierkegaard as saying was that faith is not simply the rejection of reason. Rather it is, as the Bible says "the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen". Unfortunately, there are those in the world who do interpret faith as blind obediance and do some horrible things for it. All I can do is have faith and hope like hell that they are wrong and that there is some force for good in the world that will sort it all out. That faith then drives me to strive for that good. In believing in that force for good, I am believing in a god, so to speak.

As for the bits of supposed history, most of those stories are the remnant of the old religions. However, I can retain the faith that are based off the stories if I interpret them as stories that my chosen God wants me to hear to help me understand the faith that I am striving for. (Hypothetical "I", here). In any religion there are a few stories that must be true for the religion to not be crap (Jesus dieing for our sins, Buddha being enlightened, Mohammed receiving revelation, etc.), but these can rarely be utterly proven or disproven, leaving room for faith.

Let me add now that faith is not static. Faith changes over the course of a life. People understand their God better and learn more about life, people change religions as they find they can have more faith in one than another.

Finally, has anyone read The Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett? In the story there are creatures called The Auditors that are outside of the world and live by complete rationality. As soon as they make human bodies for themselves, they start to experience emotion and they become confused. In one scene, they pick apart works of art molecule by molecule to try and find the piece that makes the pieces powerful.
While the story doesn't really deal with faith, it does deal with rational lives. Emotion and faith are human things. To live by rationality alone, emotion alone, is dangerous and dehumanizing. We are made special as a species both by our ability to reason and our ability to feel complex emotion.

(Good way of explaining science, Jon`C. You wouldn't believe how many times we've had debates caused by that fundamental misunderstanding in my physics class).
Ban Jin!
2007-01-29, 4:05 AM #117
I'm afraid you also misconstrue Jon'C. Religion is also doubt, and faith and doubt are two faces of the same emotion. At the same time you doubt the theory, you have faith in the process.
Wikissassi sucks.
2007-01-29, 4:14 AM #118
To have faith in the scientific method would be to believe that it is an acceptable method of coming to explain the world around us without any logic, reason or empirical data.
2007-01-29, 4:15 AM #119
Religion is also doubt, and faith and doubt are two faces of the same emotion.
No, religion is faith. And faith and doubt are two completely contrary emotions. And, no, I don't 'misconstrue': I know exactly what you're talking about and I disagree with you.

Quote:
At the same time you doubt the theory, you have faith in the process.
No. In fact, according to the scientific theory, there is almost certainly a better alternative to the scientific method out there. Show me it and I'll use it. I'll also patent it and become king.

EDIT:

Maybe I do 'misconstrue'. Do you mean faith in a mystical and/or philosophical sense? I suppose even the staunchest atheist has some blind faith. Like faith that reality isn't an illusion, that other people aren't just figments of our imaginations. You know. Things of that sort. Frankly, however, if you will admit to me that you are a real person I'm inclined to believe you. Also, I don't have magical powers and I'm not fortunate enough to spend the majority of my time in the company of a host of nude and open-minded nubiles, so I figure this would be a pretty lame delusion.

At any rate, if this is what you're suggesting you're basically trying to tell us that anything except complete Pyrrhonism is founded on nothing but blind faith. Of course, the system of Western Skepticism (from which the modern Scientific Method is derived) is highly influenced by Pyrrhonism so if that's what you were suggesting it would be a really funny infinite loop of :psyduck:.
2007-01-29, 2:58 PM #120
i hate it when both my JK editing heroes fight. :(
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM

↑ Up to the top!