Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Star trek vs. Star Wars
Star trek vs. Star Wars
2007-01-29, 8:06 PM #1
Its probably really old, but I found it pretty funny. They did a pretty good job with the editing

2007-01-29, 8:42 PM #2
Ahhh yes, I love this video.
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2007-01-29, 8:53 PM #3
Captain! The enemy is firing......... 400 GIGAWATTS OF PARTICLE ENERGY!"

"Let's get the hell out of here!"

LOL
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-01-29, 8:56 PM #4
That's right, run, *****es.

Also, this guy sucks at spelling. In the credits he lists "Cmd. Ricker", "Darth Vador", and "Darth Sithious"/
2007-01-29, 9:53 PM #5
In all honesty, the Enterprise wouldn't have lasted long enough to do what it did.

The calcs are so horribly low.

An ISD's point defense is something like 22,500 TW.
The Falcon was hit with a blast rated at at 218,700 TW.

The Death Star is 1E38 joules.

Lets not forget the capability of a single ISD to perform a BDZ(Base Delta Zero) operation on a planet.

Calc's courtesy of SD.net.
I hear the ICS has an obscene number for an Acclamator's broadside. Something like triple digit teratons I think.

Also, I personally thought the editing wasn't exactly spectacular, save for that bit where a pair of TIEs made a run on it and it were shot down.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2007-01-30, 2:58 AM #6
It was funny enough.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2007-01-30, 9:04 AM #7
Hilarious
I WANT TO BELIEVE
2007-01-30, 9:08 AM #8
I found Commander's post almost just as hilarious...
2007-01-30, 9:16 AM #9
Needs Worf's "They're locking lasers on us" quote
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-01-30, 11:34 AM #10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p55YD8QhQ3o&mode=related&search=
2007-01-30, 11:37 AM #11
Haha, brian that's amazing

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-01-30, 12:52 PM #12
Originally posted by Commander 598:
In all honesty, the Enterprise wouldn't have lasted long enough to do what it did.

The calcs are so horribly low.

An ISD's point defense is something like 22,500 TW.
The Falcon was hit with a blast rated at at 218,700 TW.

The Death Star is 1E38 joules.

Lets not forget the capability of a single ISD to perform a BDZ(Base Delta Zero) operation on a planet.

Calc's courtesy of SD.net.
I hear the ICS has an obscene number for an Acclamator's broadside. Something like triple digit teratons I think.

Also, I personally thought the editing wasn't exactly spectacular, save for that bit where a pair of TIEs made a run on it and it were shot down.

Sir, you win todays title of Ubergeek. :P
nope.
2007-01-30, 12:59 PM #13

Best part of this thread.
2007-01-30, 1:25 PM #14
Indeed. That was quite an amazing vid.

Originally posted by Brian:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p55YD...elated&search=
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2007-01-30, 2:25 PM #15
Obviously made by a Trekkie. If it were made by a Star Wars fan, the entire federation fleet would have encountered a single Victory class Star Destroyer, and been annihilated.
Wikissassi sucks.
2007-01-30, 2:29 PM #16
Originally posted by Isuwen:
Obviously made by a Trekkie. If it were made by a Star Wars fan, the entire federation fleet would have encountered a single Victory class Star Destroyer, and been annihilated.

I've been a star wars fan longer than I've been a trek fan, and I have to say that I think the federation would beat the empire. The empire's fighters would just be picked off by point defense alone, and torpedos can be easily calibrated to go through shields.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-01-30, 2:41 PM #17
Star Wars technology even though super advanced, hasn't progressed that much in a loooooong time, unlike Star Trek technology and I think there is little understanding of technology in the SW universe. Even ST cadets could adapt to the star wars technology and quickly find its weaknesses or steal strengths as people in the Trek universe seem a lot more adaptive. Star Wars also relies on sheer numbers of forces it has and the force. However, the Q and maybe even just the borg could handle these advantages. Either way, Star Wars universe is a lot more fun than ST :p.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2007-01-30, 3:59 PM #18
I'd like to see a Q face off against darth vader. Course it'd be over pretty fast.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-01-30, 4:52 PM #19
Originally posted by Glyde Bane:
I've been a star wars fan longer than I've been a trek fan, and I have to say that I think the federation would beat the empire. The empire's fighters would just be picked off by point defense alone, and torpedos can be easily calibrated to go through shields.

pffft. the empire would win. the reason? We got the death star! :D
Last edited by mb; today at 10:55 AM.
2007-01-30, 5:22 PM #20
That was pretty funny... although I think Glyde has the right idea... no contest.
2007-01-30, 5:50 PM #21
Quote:

HAHAHA! No. Just...no...

The Empire could almost literally just TIE-spam(Bad exageration probably but...) the Feds with their VASTLY superior production capabilities(Functional DS2 in less than a year). Then there's the fact that the Empire doesn't need to do any technobabble nonsense to WTFPWN the Feds. Just comparing the numbers, medium transports in SW can go head to head with the Fed's best capital ships. Hell, the Slave I(Technically a Firespray Attack Craft isn't it?) has more firepower than most Fed ships.

Quote:
Star Wars technology even though super advanced, hasn't progressed that much in a loooooong time, unlike Star Trek technology and I think there is little understanding of technology in the SW universe. Even ST cadets could adapt to the star wars technology and quickly find its weaknesses or steal strengths as people in the Trek universe seem a lot more adaptive. Star Wars also relies on sheer numbers of forces it has and the force. However, the Q and maybe even just the borg could handle these advantages. Either way, Star Wars universe is a lot more fun than ST :p.

...adaptive? Your talking about a universe that created the term "Redshirt". There isn't even a word low enough to describe their infantry tactics, or lack thereof.

The Q probably wouldn't step in. The Borg are screwed by their equally weak weapons, ships, and horrendous tactics, their only advantage is numbers. The Borg's infamous adaptability doesn't work so well when it's turned into a billion scorched particles and plasma in the first salvo.

Have you realized, that any Federation vs Empire scenario is a Quadrant-sized Space Commie Power without balls vs a Galaxy Spanning Fascist War Machine. It would be like America fighting Japan in WW2, only without Banzai Charges, fighting to the last man for an inch of soil, and giving all Japanese warships AA guns in place of guns that make foes wet themselves from twenty miles away.

We haven't even factored in super-weapons yet. Galaxy Gun? Sun Crusher? The various "special" Star Destroyers possessing above average size and/or firepower, like the Eclipse.

I've probably spent way too much time on SpaceBattles...
<Rob> This is internet.
2007-01-30, 6:01 PM #22
I don't think many people were taking it that seriously... they were just toying with the idea.
2007-01-30, 6:06 PM #23
SD.net is full of a bunch of retarded ninny fanboys who make up really big numbers while having sex with their life-size Chewbacca dolls. They're the worst Star Wars fans in the universe - they're even worse than the people who go to Star Trek conventions dressed up as Spock. Know why they're even worse? Because they're actually ruining Star Wars by getting SW-related jobs. Please don't invoke "numbers from SD.net" in any sort of conversation, you'll only encourage people like Mike Wong and his even worse contemporaries. If there's one site on the internet that deserves to be discounted outright, it's SD.net.
2007-01-30, 7:16 PM #24
Originally posted by tinny:
Star Wars technology even though super advanced, hasn't progressed that much in a loooooong time, unlike Star Trek technology and I think there is little understanding of technology in the SW universe.
I blame the expanded universe on that one. o: They seemingly forget to downgrade technology when writing ANCIENT Old Republic era material, and keep all the conveniences like hyperdrives and highly advanced droids. KotOR being a prime example of this, KotOR machinery does everything Imperial era machinery does and then some, despite it being set four thousand years in the past.

It might've made more sense if the interplanetary travelling was kept to a single solar system. Rather than making hyperjumps from one corner of the galaxy to another all the time. With apparently faster navigation computers than even the Falcon had. Oh well.
Seishun da!
2007-01-30, 7:31 PM #25
KoToR is a game. Would you rather it made you sit for a couple months while your ship crossed the galaxy?

The age of the place is part of what makes the Star Wars universe so nice, and it's not at all implausible that they reached a technological plateau millenia ago, and there's just no further to go.
Wikissassi sucks.
2007-01-30, 7:35 PM #26
Originally posted by Commander 598:
. Hell, the Slave I(Technically a Firespray Attack Craft isn't it?) has more firepower than most Fed ships.

And that's where you're wrong. The Firespray has pretty weak shielding (Play XWA) and very average firepower. All it's got going for it is a strong hull and once again average speed.

A galaxy class starship would swat small fighters as if they were less than insects. If you think that a small fighter has more firepower that has rows apon rows of phaser banks and a torpedo launcher that shoots torpedos BIGGER than the firespray... then :v:

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-01-30, 7:57 PM #27
Originally posted by Isuwen:
KoToR is a game. Would you rather it made you sit for a couple months while your ship crossed the galaxy?

The age of the place is part of what makes the Star Wars universe so nice, and it's not at all implausible that they reached a technological plateau millenia ago, and there's just no further to go.

No, but even in the books/comics there's hyperspace technology in stories taking place thousands of years before the rise of the Empire. Surely it wouldn't be that tough to let stories take place on a smaller scale, like I said, a single solar system, then you'd be able to have the shiny planet exit/entry cutscenes while still leaving room for a believable technological development. Especially considering you keep hearing people in the movies going on about how this model of ship is outdated and no one wants that speeder now that a new model is out. If they've been on the same technological plateau for millenia than no one would hardly give a toss about a new model, because it most likely will have exactly the same features the previous one did due to that plateau.
Seishun da!
2007-01-30, 8:23 PM #28
For those of you who are lacking in awesome Star Trek footage:
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2007-01-30, 9:36 PM #29
Originally posted by Glyde Bane:
And that's where you're wrong. The Firespray has pretty weak shielding (Play XWA) and very average firepower. All it's got going for it is a strong hull and once again average speed.

A galaxy class starship would swat small fighters as if they were less than insects. If you think that a small fighter has more firepower that has rows apon rows of phaser banks and a torpedo launcher that shoots torpedos BIGGER than the firespray... then :v:

XWA is a game, with game mechanics. I can take out an ISD with a multitude of craft in XWA that it should be very impossible to accomplish with by movie statistics. Also, the basic XWA Firespray isn't carrying the armament of the modified Slave I. Remember those seismic charges that shattered several large asteroids?
<Rob> This is internet.
2007-01-31, 7:11 AM #30
Star trek would lose hands down.

By the time the enterprise crew had explained what they were doing they would have been blown to dust.

"Captain I'm re-routing auxiliary power to improve shie-"*BOOM*

:P

Originally posted by Bobbert:

Most of that is from DS9. DS9 rocks. It's by far the best Star Trek. :)
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2007-01-31, 8:49 AM #31
Originally posted by Bobbert:

I've never really though about how many times the Enterprise blows up and the crew goes back in time...

Star Trek is quite impressive, and I think more interesting than Star Wars, but as has already been seen an arguement will never, EVER, go in either's favor.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-01-31, 12:34 PM #32
The Galaxy-class ships that are destroyed in that video are not the Enterprise.

Edit: First Gal is the Enterprise-D saucer section landing. Second is the Odyssey getting hit by a suicide run. Third is the Enterprise-D's engineering section exploding, granted.
2007-01-31, 12:48 PM #33
I remember seeing in that clip the enterprise exploding when they're caught in that endless loop in which debris hits their engines and they spiral away and blow up.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-01-31, 12:50 PM #34
nah thats a different clip

In that the USS Bozeman (Old ship with Star Trek II uniforms and I think the Reliant model) slams into one of the Enterprises warp engines when a tractor beam fails.

It never gets a chance to saucer seperate and you see the whole ship blow.
2007-01-31, 12:51 PM #35
I just watched it again to list them off and I never saw it.
2007-01-31, 1:26 PM #36
I have to say, that shot of the Enterprise E flying between the Borg Cube and the Defiant is amazing, I loved that in the movie. They timed it well to the (admittedly cliched) music in this video.
2007-01-31, 1:42 PM #37
The big difference here is that you can't "calibrate" things to penetrate the shields of an ISD. Star Wars doesn't run on the "frequencies" BS that Star Trek spews out.
2007-01-31, 1:51 PM #38
And Star Trek doesn't run on the same principles of Star Wars... Your point? People are still trying to argue one or the other.

I'm sure the trek-folk would easily, VERY easily, figure out that those 'bulbous things that are unshielded and emitting assloads of energy' are important, and will blast them right-quick.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-01-31, 1:52 PM #39
Originally posted by Duo Maxwell:
The big difference here is that you can't "calibrate" things to penetrate the shields of an ISD. Star Wars doesn't run on the "frequencies" BS that Star Trek spews out.

Thats true, I don't think that energy uses different frequencies. :)
2007-01-31, 2:12 PM #40
The tactics used by commanders in Star Trek are awful. They either fly their ships like they are tiny snubfighters, or they sit and shoot at each other like huge barely mobile destroyers. They are neither. Their ships are more like cruisers. Star Destroyers, however, are gigantic destroyers and carriers. I'd bet on the destroyers. Now, if Star Trek transporter tech can pierce Star Wars shielding, they have an unstoppable weapon. Why do they never use this weapon in the show? Beam sections of their ship into space, or just get it into the buffer and forget about it. Beam the bridge crew off. Or, at least, half of them. The upper half, from the waist up.

As long as we can all agree that they would both totally own the Battlestar Galactica. It doesn't even have shields.

Someone should make a movie like that one with all three in it. Maybe throw in some Go'uld ships too.
Wikissassi sucks.

↑ Up to the top!