Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → IE being strange...
IE being strange...
2004-07-15, 11:46 AM #1
For the past few weeks I've been unable to download any pictures in any format other than bitmaps. When I right-click save as on a picture, it only gives me the option of a bitmap. For .gifs and other stuff I want to download the actual file, anybody know how to change this?

------------------
gree gree.
2004-07-15, 11:48 AM #2
Try RightClick|Copy
Then paste in some folder on your hard drive.
Rename the file if necessary.

------------------
nytfyre m0d || f33l t3h p0w3r || t3h l0st c0gz || OMF > *
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2004-07-15, 11:51 AM #3
[insert over played reasons why you should stop using IE, and tiresome responses to the browser's flaws.]

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

--------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-07-15, 11:52 AM #4
1.) Download firefox.
2.) Murder IE.
3.) Repeat step 2 as necessary.

------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness
Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical CodeĀ® (NECĀ®) Online - Legal requirements for wiring projects.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-15, 11:53 AM #5
Right click, copy, irfanview, save as. Kind of tedious, but yah. I would tell you to use firefox, but if you've gone this long without trying/using it, you've probably got a good reason.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-15, 12:04 PM #6
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q260650%22

------------------
"Music is the universal language and the
dialect we speak in is Hip Hop!" - King Solomon
2004-07-15, 2:27 PM #7
Come to the light.

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-15, 3:51 PM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DogSRoOL:
1.) Download firefox.
2.) Murder IE.
3.) Repeat step 2 as necessary.

</font>

Please stop it every IE help thread does not need firefox propaganda in it.

------------------
<Outlaw_Torn> you mean your related to that damned sasquatch, Mech?
<MechWarrior> Lets just say the part of the family tree that does fork has bossy the goat in it.

<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
2004-07-15, 3:55 PM #9
Yeah, seriously guys, stop it.*

*This post made possible by FireFox, and the number 3.

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-15, 4:00 PM #10
"Guys plz help me with IE"
"SWITCH TO FIREFOX! BURN THE MICROSOFT HEATHENS! LOL I AM WITTY AND HELPFUL!"

"Guys plz help me, my priest is molesting me"
"CONVERT TO ISLAM! DEATH TO THE INFIDELS! ALLAHU ACKBAR!"
2004-07-15, 4:03 PM #11
You know... It's not that I don't want to use IE anymore, it's that I can't. Seriously. You know why? It's not because of security holes and other such flaws, it's because it has no tabbed browsing.

I CANNOT function on the internet anymore without that. Tabbed browsing is the best feature ever.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-07-15, 4:03 PM #12
Man oh man you guys are getting just worse and worse.

------------------
<Outlaw_Torn> you mean your related to that damned sasquatch, Mech?
<MechWarrior> Lets just say the part of the family tree that does fork has bossy the goat in it.

<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
2004-07-15, 4:04 PM #13
Except...not Jon. Have you ever USED firefox? I would think so, but if not, I'd suggest it. It's a great program, and it truly does replace IE in everything except filebrowsing. There's no REAL reason to USE IE for the internet anymore, except maybe extreme personal preference or ignorance to Firefox/Opera's existence.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-15, 4:22 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
blah blah blah, Firefox has a lot of great features that IE doesn't blah blah blah, DEATH TO THE INFIDELS!</font>

That's nice. The version of IE I've been running since late last year has had the following added features:

The Media Bar has been removed
    Enhanced security
    Popup Blocking
    None of that retarded tabbed browsing

"But, Jon!" you might be asking, "Isn't Internet Explorer made by Microsoft, the most evil corporation in the entire world?!"
To which I would then respond with, "Shut the hell up," followed by thrusting a metal pike through your face.

Simply put, Internet Explorer was designed by the company which also designed the operating system and basic user interface that virtually everybody uses (or emulates under another OS, lolololo because pirating windows software and running it on linux is so cool lol [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif])
IE is designed to match the Windows UI and follow Microsoft's standards for UI development. Many people use IE because it follows Microsoft's philosophy of creating a familiar environment in all programs, not out of ignorance.

In short, I think you're a paranoid-delusional alarmist who needs to spend less time reading Slashdot and more time looking at market share graphs.
2004-07-15, 4:25 PM #15
Uh, Jon, that's all and good, but no one said ANYTHING anti-Microsoft. I use Firefox because IE has obvious security holes which are going to take a WHILE to patch, it lets adware through, the popup blocking in Firefox is AMAZING, the extensions in Firefox are AMAZING, and I loved tabbed browsing. Not because IE is made by microsoft.

That, and Firefox has never crashed for me, and has a better interface IMO.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-15, 4:32 PM #16
If the only reason you don't use IE is because of tabbed browsing, I suggest you get your hands on a copy of NetCaptor. All the ease of UI that comes with IE, but with tabs and a popup blocker.

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-07-15, 4:37 PM #17
I could pick up on this thread and argue with Jon`C, but thatd be like trying to explain to a rabid dog why biting people is bad.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yecti:
...All the ease of UI that comes with IE, but with tabs and a popup blocker.</font>

Its funny, but I never found IE's user interface to be easy to use or even appealing.

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-07-15, 4:45 PM #18
That's nice because it's your opinion...

But it's not mine, and it's not a lot of people's

Attempting to change other people's opinions is about the most foolish thing to attempt.

And you can yammer on about security holes, and I could yammer on about how everything has holes, just the more common things get blasted for them. That's pointless though, because it's trying to change opinions. It's as sad and pathetic as trying to convert people to other religions.
2004-07-15, 4:48 PM #19
6.0.2900.2149.xpsp_sp2_rc2.040610-1520

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
I use Firefox because IE has obvious security holes which are going to take a WHILE to patch</font>

Fixed.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">it lets adware through</font>

Fixed.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">the popup blocking in Firefox is AMAZING</font>

I haven't seen a popup that I didn't open since last year.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">the extensions in Firefox are AMAZING</font>

Apart from the SA Forums extension, I haven't seen anything that IE can't do.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">and I loved tabbed browsing.</font>

Tabbed browsing is redundant in an environment with a taskbar. Tabbed browsing is only acceptable now in MDI applications where a list isn't possible. SDI is preferred. See: Visual Studio, Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, AutoCAD, Photoshop, CorelDRAW, etc.

Next version of IE coming this fall to a computer near you.

[This message has been edited by Jon`C (edited July 15, 2004).]
2004-07-15, 4:48 PM #20
It's not so much that IE has security holes, it's that it has more holes that SWISS CHEESE. That and some of them Microsoft can't even FIX. Hell, the FBI says you shouldn't use it. Reason enough for me.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-15, 4:51 PM #21
That's nice, really, once again, trying to change opinion.
2004-07-15, 4:55 PM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jon`C:
stuff</font>

Not all of them have been fixed I'm sure. I'll admit in SP2 adaware may be cooled down a LOT, maybe even eradicated, but I doubt it went that far. Besides that, SP2 is only a BETA, not available to everyone, only if it works for you. If it doesn't work for you, you're SOL my friend, and hey, guess what, I've got XP Corporate, so it doesn't work for me.

Tabbed browsing is awesome. I don't want 10000 instances of firefox when I can have one which takes up less resources than 10000 but can do the same job. Not only that, but you can reload ALL tabs at once, navigate the tabs more easily, etc. Just because it's not logical, doesn't mean it can't be preferred, Jon, and a lot of people prefer tabbed browsing (though I'll be happy to admit not everyone does.)

As far as extensions--mouse gestures anyone? Radial menus? Maybe there's nothing YOU want, though I doubt you've been through the tons of extensions they have (and neither have I admittedly), but I know there's plenty I use. Bugmenot, Adblock...yeah...good stuff.

[EDIT]
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth:
That's nice, really, once again, trying to change opinion.</font>

Yeah, sure, if you want to be unsafe in your browsing, and want to have enough security problems that the FBI advises against you using your client, hey, BE MY GUEST. Better you than me my friend.

------------------
There is no signature

[This message has been edited by Dj Yoshi (edited July 15, 2004).]
D E A T H
2004-07-15, 5:05 PM #23
*yawn* You can preach all you want to, but it won't change a thing.

Been using IE for many, many years. Never had any problems because I don't use a browser like a moron.

But, key thing here, you don't see me trying to preach about it on every single thread that mentions one of its competitors.
2004-07-15, 5:09 PM #24
That's because you don't need to preach IE to get it out to the public. It comes BUNDLED with windows. Oh and have you ever had adware? If so you've had a problem. With Firefox all I've ever gotten is tracking cookies. It's really really good not to have to check for adware everyday, or viruses for that matter.

You don't need to use IE like a moron to have trouble with it.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-15, 5:11 PM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Apart from the SA Forums extension, I haven't seen anything that IE can't do.</font>
Yeah, what Yoshi said. Ubernew IE does the Adblock thing? Mouse gestures? Radial menus? Every extension here, both inane and useful, IE can emulate?

I'm thinking one of two things: One, you don't know what you're talking about. Two, new IE is so bloated old IE looks anorexic. Mind telling me which is more accurate?
2004-07-15, 5:12 PM #26
Nope, never.

Never any viri in 12ish years of using Windows either. Don't use antivirus crap either, find it pointless.

It's not hard to be cautious, and despite what you may think, if you really know what you're doing, the chances of crap like that happening are slim to none.

And regardless of something's popularity, if I wanted to preach about it, I would, but like I said, I find it sad and childish.
2004-07-15, 5:16 PM #27
I find you sad and ignorant. If you say you've never had a virus, you're lying. If you said you've never had adware, you're lying. If you said you've never had a popup, you're lying.

So if you LIE you've never had a problem with Firefox.

Why do I say this? Because even Detty, whom preaches Windows almost as much as...well...actually I don't think I know anyone else that preaches windows like he does...has had viruses and adaware I know. Admittedly, is it easy to take care of? Yeah, sure it is, if it's simple. But why should you have to when you can use a better internet client.

And I just realized Jon--all of your arguments are pretty much null and void until SP2 becomes publicly available.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-15, 5:18 PM #28
You can call me a liar all you want to, but it will do no good. Thanks for acting like you know me though. Based on the fact that it's happened to you and because it happens to lots of people, you assume that it happens to everyone. Well, not true. Especially when people know what they're doing and don't do foolish stuff like randomly flipping through sites you found on a search engine while looking for the crack to something.

Oh, and on this one:

"If you said you've never had a popup, you're lying."

Never said that, so don't go putting words in my mouth, though Google toolbar easily fixes that problem.

[This message has been edited by Darth (edited July 15, 2004).]
2004-07-15, 5:20 PM #29
AHAH! But you see that's a problem with IE. Google toolbar hasn't been out forever, and its predecessors were shaky at best. But you are lying. It's just to what EXTENT.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-15, 5:22 PM #30
Sorry, but no, I don't have to lie to support what I say. Pretty sure you can ask the people here who's known me for a long time on that one.

And no, Google toolbar hasn't been around forever, but it's been around a good while. And popups weren't always commonplace, so it wasn't really an issue that much in earlier days.
2004-07-15, 5:25 PM #31
I've had an issue ever since my 486--roughly 9 years ago. Maybe 8. Google toolbar's been around less than a year. How do you figure?

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-15, 5:28 PM #32
Then you must have spent most of your time looking at tripod and geocities sites, because other than stuff like that, it wasn't really that common until a couple of years ago.

But anyway, that doesn't matter. Doesn't really relate to the point at all.
2004-07-15, 5:29 PM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ictus:
I'm thinking one of two things: One, you don't know what you're talking about. Two, new IE is so bloated old IE looks anorexic. Mind telling me which is more accurate?</font>

I'm sorry, you must be under the impression that every extension available for Firefox comes prepacked with every Firefox distribution. This would seem to indicate that you, actually, don't know what you're talking about.

Oh, and DJ Yoshi -- I have XP Corporate too. If the XPSP2 release candidate won't work for you maybe you should try, you know, not using a pirated copy? Just a little suggestion.
2004-07-15, 5:31 PM #34
So...I'll take a crack at answering his question instead of flame bating...

Murc, have you installed anything net related that might cause this? Any popup blockers, add ons, etc? Removing anything that looks suspicious in Add/Remove Programs might help. Also running AdAware or Spybot may help; now I don't think what you're experience would be a direct cause of spyware or malware, more likely a side effect.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-07-15, 5:34 PM #35
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jon`C:
I'm sorry, you must be under the impression that every extension available for Firefox comes prepacked with every Firefox distribution. This would seem to indicate that you, actually, don't know what you're talking about.

Oh, and DJ Yoshi -- I have XP Corporate too. If the XPSP2 release candidate won't work for you maybe you should try, you know, not using a pirated copy? Just a little suggestion.
</font>

It's not pirated, but thanks for asking. My uncle secured me a LEGIT version via his company. I just heard it wouldn't work for corporate edition.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-15, 5:40 PM #36
Way to be disingenuous and/or dodge the question, Jon. Let me try again.

Can new IE do the Adblock thing, mouse gestures, or radial menus?

Also, I liked where you raged down from your Angry Developer Mountain to lay down Design Law. God forbid mere mortals choose heretical TDIs.

[This message has been edited by Ictus (edited July 15, 2004).]
2004-07-15, 5:45 PM #37
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth:
It's not hard to be cautious, and despite what you may think, if you really know what you're doing, the chances of crap like that happening are slim to none.
</font>

Damn straight. A program (or OS for that matter) is only as good as the person using it.

*sigh* I'm a little sick of all the browser/OS/video card/etc etc wars. Despite the thousands of words posted about X program is better than Y because of Z, it all comes to down to whether or not you could be bothered to learn to use your computer properly. No one browser/OS/whatever else you want to mention is any "better" than another. You're supposed to use whatever fills your needs the best.

For example, generally I prefer using Firefox, primarily for tabbed browsing as I usually have a minimum of 6 or 7 programs open at once for work and I prefer to keep the number of things in the taskbar as low as possible. But there are plenty of sites I need to access that don't work under firefox, so I use IE as well. Same goes for my OS, I use both windows and linux as each fills a certain need and they each do some things better than the other.

Now lets all move on shall we?
Run: forgetting passwords and stuffing up profiles on a regular basis.
2004-07-15, 5:47 PM #38
Bout time someone's sensible about it. =P
2004-07-15, 5:50 PM #39
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ictus:
Way to be disingenuous and/or dodge the question, Jon. Let me try again.

Can new IE do the Adblock thing, mouse gestures, or radial menus?
</font>

Ad blocking and mouse gesturing plugins have been available for a really long time. Radial menus I wouldn't know about, but there's nothing stopping someone from developing a plugin that could do it.
2004-07-15, 5:55 PM #40
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by -Run:
Damn straight. A program (or OS for that matter) is only as good as the person using it.

*sigh* I'm a little sick of all the browser/OS/video card/etc etc wars. Despite the thousands of words posted about X program is better than Y because of Z, it all comes to down to whether or not you could be bothered to learn to use your computer properly. No one browser/OS/whatever else you want to mention is any "better" than another. You're supposed to use whatever fills your needs the best.

For example, generally I prefer using Firefox, primarily for tabbed browsing as I usually have a minimum of 6 or 7 programs open at once for work and I prefer to keep the number of things in the taskbar as low as possible. But there are plenty of sites I need to access that don't work under firefox, so I use IE as well. Same goes for my OS, I use both windows and linux as each fills a certain need and they each do some things better than the other.

Now lets all move on shall we?
</font>

You know I really agree wholeheartedly, but I still believe Windows/IE is highly flawed. Also, can you tell me you've never gotten adware? I know I did constantly until I went Firefox. HRMMMMMM

But as long as you don't say Firefox sucks or there's no reason to use it, I'm okay. Because those statements just aren't true for the general masses.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!