Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Maximus vs. Leonidas
Maximus vs. Leonidas
2007-03-26, 4:22 AM #1
Someone had to see this coming at some point.

So, unleash Hell, or dine in it? :hist101:
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2007-03-26, 4:41 AM #2
Greeks beat Romans every time.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2007-03-26, 4:43 AM #3
Me == posting for the underdog.

(Better odds) :P
2007-03-26, 4:45 AM #4
Hmmm.....

Well, with their preferred weapons, I think Leonidas would at least get the first shot with the spear, and drive him to a certain move until he's close enough for sword. I think one-on-one, a Spartan could take just a really good fighter.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2007-03-26, 4:47 AM #5
Titus Pullo.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-03-26, 5:12 AM #6
Greeks >>>>> Romans

In interestingness, history, culture, and anything else I can think of.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-03-26, 5:51 AM #7
Leonidas is a much better dancer.

[http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q72/chazghostle/leodance.gif]

That is how we're judging this, right?
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2007-03-26, 6:02 AM #8
Originally posted by SMOCK!:
Greeks beat Romans every time.

Indeed, the Romans never conquered Greece.
2007-03-26, 6:35 AM #9
Maximus could use a plethora of sweet weapons and shields. Leonidas just had one shield, a sword, and a spear.

Maximus would probably have some sweet Roman armor on.

Also, Mr. Leonidas wouldn't be fighting in a phalanx, so he wouldn't be at his best.

I think Maximus would win.
2007-03-26, 6:45 AM #10
leonidas is 49087580976872890672736740741309673246707609868974837597860986704563496x more manly than maximus

just look at the 2

leonidas is a fighter and loves to be a fighter
maximus hates fighting and killing and wants to go home and be a farmer

leonidas has an exposed and extremely manly torso
maximus covers his less manly torso with armor

leonidas rocks a manly beard
maximus has glorified stubble

leonidas's wife stabbed a dude
maximus's wife got killed like a noob

leonidas killed giant persian WTFISTHAT
maximus got stabbed by some dude who wanted to bang his own sister...
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2007-03-26, 7:00 AM #11
Jim7 seems to have an obsession of exposed and extremely manly torsoes... oh my.
2007-03-26, 7:37 AM #12
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Titus Pullo.

2007-03-26, 10:45 AM #13
FGR is right on this one. Titus Pullo > * That man eats out tongues! Lets see Maximus or Leonidas do THAT.

I'm going to have to go with the Roman though. Maximus fought A LOT of people usually single-handed. Where as Leonidas had 1,000 men (not 300, can't forget the Thespians) at his command.

Also Romans > Greeks IMO. The Roman Empire covered much of the known world. and lasted arguably until the 15th Century (as Byzantines). Not to mention they had some awesome buildings.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-03-26, 10:56 AM #14
come on, maximus fought a tiger. that makes him win.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2007-03-26, 11:00 AM #15
This is tough. But, I have to go with Maximus.
2007-03-26, 11:11 AM #16
I think Achilles would be more comparable to Leonidas than Maximus. They were both born to be warriors, and devoted their whole lives to it. They were also good at dispatching large amounts of elite enemies with relative ease. Achilles tore apart the Apollonian guard, and Leonidas the Immortals. Maximus struggled with some crude barbarians.

That being said, I'm going to say Leonidas wins over Maximus, but Achilles beats Leonidas. Leonidas grazed his enemy's cheek when he threw a spear at him over a long distance. Achilles nailed a guy in the neck, killing him instantly, over an impossible distance.
2007-03-26, 11:12 AM #17
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
FGR is right on this one. Titus Pullo > * That man eats out tongues! Lets see Maximus or Leonidas do THAT.

I'm going to have to go with the Roman though. Maximus fought A LOT of people usually single-handed. Where as Leonidas had 1,000 men (not 300, can't forget the Thespians) at his command.

Also Romans > Greeks IMO. The Roman Empire covered much of the known world. and lasted arguably until the 15th Century (as Byzantines). Not to mention they had some awesome buildings.

Didn't Alexander conquer more than the Romans did? Not sure on this one, so i'll stay out of the poll.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2007-03-26, 11:14 AM #18
Originally posted by JediGandalf:

Comparing Roman to Greek culture is hard, as to which is better, because the Romans came in after the Greek's nation was already in decline. Their warriors were roughly equal, though of course the Romans eventually had better technology.

Easily Leonidas. Maximus was a badass, but he was no Leonidas. Honestly, Leo melted FACES--he killed a wolf with just a sharp stick when he was like, 12. Anyone who says anybody but Leo wins is a liar, and a dirty whore. Simple as that.
D E A T H
2007-03-26, 11:14 AM #19
Yes, Tinny, he did, but that Empire crumbled quite soon after Alexander's death.

I have to agree with Dj-Yoshi, since Romans basically copied a lot of Greek stuff.

Yet I think Rome was still technologically more advanced to Greece (unless some history geek(ette) can prove me wrong), so saying that Greece would have defeated Rome would be pretty much the same as saying that 19th Century USA could defeat present day USA. :P

IMO.
2007-03-26, 11:19 AM #20
if its the Leonidas from the 300 film then he easily wins... comic book characters have obscene amounts of strength over reality based counterparts.

Plus the whole "hard as nails" thing he had going, beats the hell out of Maximus anyday.
2007-03-26, 11:24 AM #21
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Yes, Tinny, he did, but that Empire crumbled quite soon after Alexander's death.

I have to agree with Dj-Yoshi, since Romans basically copied a lot of Greek stuff.

Yet I think Rome was still technologically more advanced to Greece (unless some history geek(ette) can prove me wrong), so saying that Greece would have defeated Rome would be pretty much the same as saying that 19th Century USA could defeat present day USA. :P

IMO.

You're right, but I think if Caesar also quickly died his empire might have crumbled as quickly. The technology jump also would not be as pronounced as the difference between present day and the 19th century.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2007-03-26, 11:27 AM #22
Might be true, but just thinking about Optimates defeating Caesar during the Civil War is too much alternative history for me :P
2007-03-26, 12:07 PM #23
Alexander's Empire didn't really crumble right after his death. It was carved up and his generals took control of several sections. Like Ptolemy I of Egypt.

Optimates? Don't you mean Pompey?
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-03-26, 12:15 PM #24
Yeah, I thought Pompey was the leader of the Optimates of something.

And that's pretty much what I meant by Alexander's empire crumbling... yet now I realize the verb was quite misleading.
2007-03-26, 2:10 PM #25
Who's Maximus?
2007-03-26, 2:10 PM #26
Ohhhh, Gladiator.

Leonidas. He's way hotter.
2007-03-26, 2:38 PM #27
Also,

MAX-I-MVS! MAX-I-MVS! MAX-I-MVS!

(yes those are Roman letters)
2007-03-26, 3:18 PM #28
Leonidas kicks ***.

My favorite part of the movie is when he looks over to the hunchback and says "I hope you live forever."
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-03-26, 3:25 PM #29
Originally posted by landfish:
come on, maximus fought a tiger. that makes him win.

But Leo fought a saber toothed tiger, or whatever it was.

As a child.

Leo wins.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-03-26, 4:32 PM #30
Originally posted by Gilgamesh85:
Leonidas grazed his enemy's cheek when he threw a spear at him over a long distance. Achilles nailed a guy in the neck, killing him instantly, over an impossible distance.

I don't think the intent was to kill. He told the Persian king that he made prove that he can bleed, and I think he even bulls-eyed one of the piercings, which when ripped out caused the bleeding.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2007-03-26, 5:08 PM #31
I'm pretty sure if he was going to lob a spear that far, he'd shoot to kill, not 'cause blood.'
2007-03-26, 5:20 PM #32
You just don't understand the symbolism...
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-03-26, 5:32 PM #33
Yeah it didn't matter if he killed Xerxes or not. He knew he (Leonidas) was going to die. And he knew that once he was dead, all of Greece would unite and slap the persians around a few years later.

The whole "hitting him with a spear" was just a way of saying "what now *****? I thought you were a "god"
>>untie shoes
2007-03-26, 5:33 PM #34
He'd have bled if he'd gotten it square in the face, too. AND he would have died, causing the army to possible fall apart, or at least lose a ton of morale. He was trying to kill him, but i guess he was pretty sure all he was going to do was make him bleed. And he was content with that.
Warhead[97]
2007-03-26, 5:34 PM #35
I think somebody is forgetting to understand the symbolism... and the fact that if he had killed Xerxes it would have made the movie REALLY inaccurate to history....
>>untie shoes
2007-03-26, 5:37 PM #36
Originally posted by Antony:
Yeah it didn't matter if he killed Xerxes or not. He knew he (Leonidas) was going to die. And he knew that once he was dead, all of Greece would unite and slap the persians around a few years later.

The whole "hitting him with a spear" was just a way of saying "what now *****? I thought you were a "god"

Then some 50 odd years later, the Spartans actually get help from the Persians against...uhh...**** I wanna say Athenians.
2007-03-26, 5:39 PM #37
The result is not the point. Or rather, the result is exactly what needed to happen for the movie to remain vaguely historically accurate and for the symbolism to work. I was simply discussing the character's motivation.
Warhead[97]
2007-03-26, 6:22 PM #38
Originally posted by Gilgamesh85:
Leonidas grazed his enemy's cheek when he threw a spear at him over a long distance. Achilles nailed a guy in the neck, killing him instantly, over an impossible distance.

Actually, I think he hit his cheek on purpose. Seriously, Leonidas said in the end, he'd bleed. I think he wanted him to live, knowing that his people would see him as a mortal, crushing their morale.

Just a thought
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2007-03-26, 9:27 PM #39
Maximus was really really transparent.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-03-26, 9:57 PM #40
Here's a summary of the topic in general from another forum (which shall be unnamed).

Quote:
Maximus was trained primarily in 1v1 combat and his hole gimmick was to ****ing pwn everyone with his lightning quick reflexes and extravagant finesse in weapon handling. King Leonidas was known for his excellent strategy and ability to train his warriors to fight well. also, Maximus has access to better weapons because of the time period difference, including telephones that he can throw at people

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Maximus+Decimus+Meridius&word2=King+Leonidas]Google Fight

Quote:
You know who doesn't give a [censored] about your stupid google fight [censored]?

Maximus Decimus Meridius. Commander of the armies of the North. General of the Felix Legions. Loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son. Husband to a murdered wife. And he will have his vengeance -- in this life or the next.

Quote:
you did it wrong 'tard. it should look like this

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php...=King+Leonidas

and i think they're about even. gladiators are badass and all, but spartans are pretty crazy.

Quote:
Leonidas could kill maximus, king kong and dumpledore at the same time

[http://x013.uploaderx.net/x/1174008119097.jpg]

Quote:
Yeah, leonidas killed a wolf as a boy. He was like a double PHD of badass. Maximus was a farmer.

I'm pretty sure Leonidas ate bullets, excreted ice cream and walked on water.

↑ Up to the top!