Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2 Should've been BANNED
Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2 Should've been BANNED
2004-07-15, 11:30 AM #1
I saw Kill Bill Vol 1 a week ago, Had just tried a spliff, but doubt that has anything to do with what happened last night.

I think the movie was just a more comical, weird, less-artistic american version of Crouching Tiger. And f***** up and violent.

A girl I was seeing at uni had just seen Kill Bill 2, and that night when we slept, she started flailing her arms about and murmering like she was in pain and having a nightmare. I just thought it was her being her usual weird self.

But last night, I had the most horrific violent dream in my 20 years of life.
A gang of asians were after my family. I had a katana sword and was killing person, after person.

Blood, screaming, clashing metal, pain, it was awful. In the dream I had horrible wounds all over my body from slashes from their swords.

I woke up searching for the wounds in a cold sweat, but nothing was there. I was shaking.

I've never reacted to a film like this before, apart from predator, mebe.

I think we should be more careful about what we release into the main stream, when so many *cough* well rounded sane *cough* individuals react badly subconsciously

Oh, and another thing, after this dream, I'm reconsidering buying a katana from eBay.

[This message has been edited by clan ruthervain (edited July 15, 2004).]
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2004-07-15, 11:33 AM #2
...I guess if you took the movie seriously. I saw it and can't recall ever having any bad dreams. It was a great modernized martial-arts flick.

------------------
Roach - Caught in the war of hemispheres.
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-07-15, 11:34 AM #3
Welcome to my world

------------------
mir·ow ( V ) Pronunciation Key (meer-oh)
Someone or something that possesses unfathomable awesomeness
2004-07-15, 11:36 AM #4
Haven't seen it.
Seen Predator.
Scared me in that scary-movie kind of way (scared, but not really -- hard to describe)
Never had any dreams though; wish I did -- I like scary dreams. Am I wierd now?

------------------
nytfyre m0d || f33l t3h p0w3r || t3h l0st c0gz || OMF > *
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2004-07-15, 11:43 AM #5
I thought it was a ridiculous piece of **** movie... and wished seeing it had been a bad dream. :P Vol.1 atleast, my common sense stopped me from bothering with the second one.
2004-07-15, 11:47 AM #6
I loved it, loved the cinematography, the overall...everything about it. It was true blue Tarentino (sp?). But I'll admit, it was bloodier than hell, and it probably would freak out quite a few.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-15, 11:49 AM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
I loved it, loved the cinematography, the overall...everything about it. It was true blue Tarentino (sp?). But I'll admit, it was bloodier than hell, and it probably would freak out quite a few.

</font>

The ridiculous amount of blood should be somewhat funny, not freaky...

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

--------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-07-15, 11:51 AM #8
I've only seen volume 1 but i didn't like it that much. I normally like martial arts films but i found that to be too distasteful really. It was just gore for the sake of it.

------------------
/fluffle
/fluffle
2004-07-15, 12:11 PM #9
I heard that most of the blood was obviously fake. And that it was done in a cheesy sence.

Bad dreams are just that. Bad dreams, they happen. Nothing 'forces' this on you.
However it can influence. Sometimes its something you ate, or something you saw before you sleep.

Perhaps this means you're sensitive to things like this and should avoid it.

Just always remmber that its just a movie, or its just a tv show, or its just a game.

Also, who hasn't had a nightmare about a monster movie they heard about or saw when they were a small child? Does that mean we should ban monster movies? no.

Just my thoughts on the subject. *shrug*

------------------
"Judging by the name of the author, and the name of the work, I'd guess it's an energy "beam". You know, like in the Japanese cartoons where those guys with big hair fly around, talk philosophy, and shoot fireballs at each other." - Hellequin

[This message has been edited by Oberfeldwebell (edited July 15, 2004).]
*insert some joke about pasta and fruit scuffles*
2004-07-15, 12:17 PM #10
SHOULD be funny, but some people would probably be more than a little freaked out by the gratuitous violence and gore.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-15, 12:18 PM #11
I think we should retain freedom above safety. Just because theres a few wackos out there is no reason to kill the other 99% of people's fun.

------------------
Ω of 14
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2004-07-15, 12:26 PM #12
I found the movie to be more along the lines of "funny" not scary. I always liked over-the-top violence, that's why I liked JO so much! (g_saberrealisticcombat 2)

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-07-15, 1:03 PM #13
Vol. 2 was a lot better than Vol. 1 anyway; and there was a lot less blood.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-07-15, 1:09 PM #14
Everyone was tlaking about how the blood was nuts, the way it sprayed like 5 feet in the air, but my biology teacher said that can actually happen 0_o. That is crazy. The movie was meant to be cheesy most of the time, it was just a great film IMO.

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-15, 1:09 PM #15
Agreed. 2 was more story-driven and ... better, I guess. Much less blood and fighting.
DO NOT WANT.
2004-07-15, 1:28 PM #16
I thought both movieswere great and ive never had any wierd dreams to do with movies since I was 9 and watched dantes peak and volcano about 10 times in one weak, there was volcanos everywhere and iIwas incinerated but there ya go.

------------------
Here lies the body of speedy john, the motorbike stopped but he went on
nope.
2004-07-15, 1:29 PM #17
Yeah, I don't think you should buy a katana or be allowed near any sharp instruments.

Really guys, I have violent impulses because I watched a movie!!
2004-07-15, 1:33 PM #18
i like how you call yourself sane... it would be like richard simmons calling himself straight

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-07-15, 1:35 PM #19
Ummm, is Richard Simmons the american dude who's gay and has weight loss programmes?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Boco (edited July 15, 2004).]
nope.
2004-07-15, 1:39 PM #20
I wasn't planning to watch it but now that you mention all the violence it sounds more interresting.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-07-15, 1:54 PM #21
When I was about 6 and watched Jurassic Park, I had bad dinosaur dreams for almost a year afterward. Ban Jurassic Park! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged

Blown away by the force of the word, woken up by the sound of the siren. It's genocide.
2004-07-15, 2:15 PM #22
I like Tarantino. I just saw Resevoir Dogs last night. I liked it a lot, and Pulp Fiction was a work of genious. I haven't seen either Kill Bill, but maybe I will. Many have told me they were bad, but they were people who didn't understand Pulp Fiction or Resevoir Dogs beyond the literal.

They're movies you have to think about. What you see is almost always the opposite of what the theme he is suggesting is.

Natural Born Killers, that I'm told he had something to do with, was a little too warped for me to even try to figure out the theme. Rodney Dangerfield's character just ... just ... something. Something about violence and warped values in the media and society leading the masses astray perhaps.

In Pulp Fiction, for instance, take a look at any scene. Almost all center around one doorway out of many, symbolic of the choice made, and all the others it was chosen over. ie: The briefcase scene (where they pass dozens of doors, picking a single one), and Butch's watch retrieval scene (notice the bright door it seems he's headed toward, and the sudden turn to the dark door of his apartment). The character's meet their fates as a direct result of the choices they make, there were always other options, but they chose this one. Jules Winfield was the only one who really saw it, when he had his little epiphany that everything happens for a reason, something Vincent couldn't, or wouldn't see.

------------------
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....

[This message has been edited by Bounty Hunter 4 hire (edited July 15, 2004).]
2004-07-15, 2:40 PM #23
And notice how Vincent died because he shunned the light, and Jules lived to tell his tale. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-15, 3:06 PM #24
Man I LOVE Pulp Fiction!

"TELL THAT ***** TO CHILL!"

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
[="Rememeber that history isn't how the corporate controlled media made it look like. Read between the lines and free your mind. Evolution is the birth of equality and the anti-thesis to opression." - Immortal Technique=]

Massassian since: March 12, 2001
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-07-15, 3:50 PM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Roach:
...I guess if you took the movie seriously. I saw it and can't recall ever having any bad dreams. It was a great modernized martial-arts flick.

</font>

Wait a minute... someone actually took Kill Bill serriously? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

------------------
<Outlaw_Torn> you mean your related to that damned sasquatch, Mech?
<MechWarrior> Lets just say the part of the family tree that does fork has bossy the goat in it.

<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
2004-07-15, 4:04 PM #26
Does anyone else like the thrill of a nightmare?

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-07-15, 4:14 PM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Boco:
Ummm, is Richard Simmons the american dude who's gay and has weight loss programmes?

</font>

Yes. If you've seen him, then you know how much every American wants to kill him.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Oberfeldwebell:
I heard that most of the blood was obviously fake.</font>

Most? ALL of it had better be fake. I sure wouldn't be happy if I was asked to star in a film only to be chopped up by some sword swinging actress later on.

I haven't seen either of the films. Don't plan to. They really REALLY did not look like my cup of tea.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-07-15, 5:59 PM #28
Let me get this straight. You and your girlfriend had dreams after watching a movie, so you want to BAN the movie? That's incredibly short-sighted. So you had nightmares, STOP WATCHING RATED R MOVIES. Walk out if it gets too violent. But to ban something because it affected YOU some way?

It's like ozzy osbourne... he got in an atv crash and started going off on how they should be banned because HE got hurt. Nevermind the fact that he's old, can barely walk and talk, and shouldn't have been on one in the first place, but don't ban it simply because he was unable to control himself properly.

I say we ban people who try to take away our right to freedom.

------------------
Brian's Web Log is CLOSED.
2004-07-15, 6:06 PM #29
I remember having nightmares after watching Aliens. ...Them stalking around my house, me hiding. Don't get me started on the face huggers.

It couldn't have helped that I was 6 when I saw it.

The idea doesn't scare me as much now, perhaps I'm overevaluating my chances against killing machines now.

------------------
2004-07-15, 6:07 PM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
Most? ALL of it had better be fake. I sure wouldn't be happy if I was asked to star in a film only to be chopped up by some sword swinging actress later on.

</font>

That's what I call cheap casting.

"Oh, we'll promise to pay you one million dollars! We swear to god we'll pay you!"

That's nothing. I used to have dreams that a clown came out of my pillow, and it would steal my blanket. I was freaked out. i must've seen glimpses of "It" or something. This was when I was 3.

------------------
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"

[This message has been edited by mscbuck (edited July 15, 2004).]
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-07-15, 6:12 PM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
SHOULD be funny, but some people would probably be more than a little freaked out by the gratuitous violence and gore.

</font>

Yeah, and some people really oughtta lighten up and remember it's a movie. Anyone bothered by violence in a movie shouldn't be watching movies anyway. They obviously don't have the ability to discern fantasy from reality.

------------------
I resent that.
>>untie shoes
2004-07-15, 8:55 PM #32
Only seen the first one so far, but I thought it was get. It poked fun at all the old Hong Kong, kung-fu movies and that was great. The violence was so excessive that it couldn't be taken seriously and it was pulled of relly well.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-07-15, 10:12 PM #33
Kill Bills were both great movies. I just loved them!
Tarantino list from top to least top but still pretty freaking good movie
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
Kill Bill vol. 2
Kill Bill vol. 1
Jackie Brown

------------------
People who get murdered are victims, people who get killed in war are casualties and people who don't get killed at all are just plain boring. -Said by me-

In my dream world people wear trenchcoats and piss on sanity's grave.
Yeah, you stay here and take life seriously. I'll go and have some fun.
2004-07-15, 11:10 PM #34
Argh, I loved Kill Bill. It's just a splatter joke film, not a serious film like for example Saving Private Ryan.. I thought that one was a lot more disturbing, because it was realistic.

------------------
No signature for you.
No signature for you.
2004-07-16, 7:34 AM #35
Vol. 1 was pretty good, but man, Vol. 2 rocked.
2004-07-16, 7:36 AM #36
1 was better, but 2 made me appreciate 1 even more.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-07-16, 1:22 PM #37
morpheos you missed out from dusk till dawn

------------------
nope.
2004-07-16, 2:35 PM #38
[http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2004-07-16, 2:53 PM #39
The funny thing about the 'ridiculous' amount of gore is that it isn't too far from realistic. I'm thinking specifically about Vol 1. where the Chinese woman walks on the table and cuts the bloke's head off.

Blood pressure would make blood spurt several metres into the air, providing the head was cut off cleanly. The heart is a very strong organ.
It might not go on for quite as long as it did in the film, though.

I think you'll certainly enjoy Battle Royale 1 and 2, ruthervain!
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-07-16, 3:52 PM #40
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
Blood pressure would make blood spurt several metres into the air, providing the head was cut off cleanly. The heart is a very strong organ.</font>

Puncturing the aorta can result in a 12 foot blood squirt.

------------------
Roach - Caught in the war of hemispheres.
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto

↑ Up to the top!