Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2 Should've been BANNED
Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2 Should've been BANNED
2004-07-16, 3:57 PM #41
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Roach:
Puncturing the aorta can result in a 12 foot blood squirt.

</font>

Do you know this from experience?
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-07-16, 4:35 PM #42
My brother cut the artery between his thumb and index, and that squirt pretty far. That's a smaller artery, and farther from the heart.

------------------
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2004-07-16, 5:50 PM #43
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
I think you'll certainly enjoy Battle Royale 1 and 2, ruthervain!</font>

Those movies rock [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-07-16, 6:59 PM #44
So far Brian and I are the only ones who have actually addressed the topic

------------------
Ω of 14
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2004-07-16, 9:43 PM #45
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evil_Tofu:
Do you know this from experience?</font>

Sure, why not?

------------------
Roach - Caught in the war of hemispheres.
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-07-16, 11:55 PM #46
First off, I'm not for banning any movies at all.

However, I find it bothersome how none of you seem to want to question the effect of violent movies (and videogames for that matter) to healthy minds. Science has yet to point out anything conclusive one way or the other.

Many will say "But I've seen tons of gory material and I'm fine." and I can't say I haven't seen lots of that and I've never gotten the urge to kill anyone. I don't think this is proof enough for us to disregard the thought of violent material affecting us completely.

I can't imagine any stable person going out on a whim to kill people because of something he saw on film...I believe that if there are detrimental effects of some sort, they're more subtle than that.

[Edit] Why do the forums parse out single spaces before new lines (it would help dividing a big paragraph dealing with essentially the same issue into "subparagraphs" to keep it coherent if they didn't)? [/edit]

[This message has been edited by Krokodile (edited July 17, 2004).]
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2004-07-17, 2:25 AM #47
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by clan ruthervain:
blahblahblahblahblah</font>

In short: Grow up, it's just a movie. People like you are the reason most great books are banned in some states

------------------
Punktkerbe | www.hl2central.net
2004-07-17, 6:36 AM #48
Books are banned?

Which books have been banned?

On a completely unrelated note, I think it's terribly amusing how "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" was renamed and the scenes mentioning "Philosopher" were refilmed for the American release.

And as for the topic, well.. it's not really that interesting anyway. Osiris and Brian have pretty much discussed it as far as it can go, it's much more fun to go off on a semi-related tangent.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-07-17, 7:12 AM #49
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
Books are banned?

Which books have been banned?

On a completely unrelated note, I think it's terribly amusing how "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" was renamed and the scenes mentioning "Philosopher" were refilmed for the American release.
</font>

Not one to follow Potter series, what was the original title?

Oh and Ruthven, hush. No they should NOT be banned because your subconscious mind decided to give you a bit of fright. How about this, don't watch the Kill Bill series (or any other frightning/violent movie) until you can stomach the content and don't ruin the fun for the rest of us. World doesn't revolve around you mon ami.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-07-17, 7:23 AM #50
"Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"
Harry Potter almost was banned as well, because it "promotes witchcraft"

Some books banned in many states are:

Farhenheit 451
Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn(probobly not spelled right at all)
To Kill a Mockingbird
Uncle Tom's Cabin
Gone with the Wind
The Bible
Of Mice and Men
Lord of the Flies
Catcher in the Rye
------------------
Punktkerbe | www.hl2central.net

[This message has been edited by matrixhacker (edited July 17, 2004).]
2004-07-17, 7:33 AM #51
Gandalf - The original title was indeed Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. It was changed to Sorcerer's Stone in the States because it was basically thought it would market better. When she wrote the book, conquering the States wasn't exactly on her mind! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2004-07-17, 7:44 AM #52
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by matrixhacker:
The Bible</font>

Where?

------------------
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-07-17, 8:12 AM #53
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Krokodile:
However, I find it bothersome how none of you seem to want to question the effect of violent movies (and videogames for that matter) to healthy minds. Science has yet to point out anything conclusive one way or the other.</font>

THERE IS NO DIRECT LINK BETWEEN VIOLENT MEDIA AND VIOLENT BEHAVIOR

------------------
<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
<jipe> .. yes, Ubuu, we're racist commy nazi jews, and we hate male pattern baldness
<Professor`K> Sorry, but half-way through your logic, my head exploded
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-07-17, 10:23 AM #54
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by matrixhacker:
"Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"
Harry Potter almost was banned as well, because it "promotes witchcraft"

Some books banned in many states are:

Farhenheit 451
Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn(probobly not spelled right at all)
To Kill a Mockingbird
Uncle Tom's Cabin
Gone with the Wind
The Bible
Of Mice and Men
Lord of the Flies
Catcher in the Rye
</font>

He means nations.

Although it's worth noting that some of the above books are banned in U.S. public schools, notably Huck Finn.

------------------
Ω of 14
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2004-07-17, 10:30 AM #55
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by oSiRiS:
He means nations.

Although it's worth noting that some of the above books are banned in U.S. public schools, notably Huck Finn.
</font>

Except that I remember reading Huck Finn in my junior year.

------------------
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-07-17, 10:34 AM #56
Avenger, when the heck did batle royale 2 come out, i gotta see that

------------------
Here lies the body of speedy john, the motorbike stopped but he went on
nope.
2004-07-17, 12:18 PM #57
You lot should be thankful that 'Of Mice and Men' is banned.

You've been spared the torture of every British schoolboy doing English GCSE.

Next up, the taming of the shrew. :-(

Also Battle Royale 2 was out a year or so ago. I haven't found an English version of it, so you'll have to download the original mpeg and a subtitle file and vobsub them.
I don't imagine it'll be released in Britain or America. It's a lot more political than the first, it's very anti-American and even subtly pro-'terrorist', depending on how you see it (and depending on the subtitle file you get). The opening scene is of two towers collapsing, for which Shuya Nanahara (and Noriko, probably) is responsible.

The Battle Royale books are also very political, but in a different way. They seem to be quite anti-communist, in a way, but also anti-American too. The books are a lot more violent than the films.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2004-07-17, 12:29 PM #58
You lot should be thankful that 'Of Mice and Men' is banned.

^...Uhhh, why?

------------------
Haggis: "For God's sake, snap out of it man! That bottle is empty! It's been empty since the first day we got to this godforsaken place and you drank it all! You're losing touch with reality!"
Otter stares at Haggis, a suspicious expression on his face.
Otter: "You just want my whiskey! I'm on to you!"
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-17, 3:10 PM #59
Read the next sentence.
2004-07-17, 10:58 PM #60
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wolfy:
THERE IS NO DIRECT LINK BETWEEN VIOLENT MEDIA AND VIOLENT BEHAVIOR

</font>

I read through the document. The research conducted by those cited is not the only research on the subject out there. Here's a link: http://whyfiles.org/165video_violence/3.html (also contains a link to "the flipside of the argument", as in the side taken by the document you provided).

When I say science has not been able to provide us with anything conclusive on the matter, I mean science has yielded contradictive results and thus the big questions remain unanswered.

I'm not saying there has to be a direct link. I'm not even saying there is a link. I sure as hell am not shifting people's responsibility of their actions over to videogames or TV. My common sense simply can't get over the thought that maybe constant exposure to realistically depicted murders, rapes, thefts and whatnot on TV and playing them out in videogames isn't completely harmless even when you can distinguish them from reality.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.

↑ Up to the top!