Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Dell Goes Linux
Dell Goes Linux
2007-03-29, 2:48 AM #1
Holy Smokes
D E A T H
2007-03-29, 3:17 AM #2
You know what the best part of this is?

Broadcom will finally release opensource drivers for their network hardware or they'll lose Dell as a customer. :neckbeard:
2007-03-29, 3:29 AM #3
A step in the right direction.

Quote:
Broadcom will finally release opensource drivers for their network hardware or they'll lose Dell as a customer.

That'd be nice, wouldn't it...
2007-03-29, 3:38 AM #4
Very cool. I couldn't tell from the article: are all Dell machines going to be Linux in the future or do you get to choose?

Also, a note to Dell: I haven't stopped distrusting you outright, but this is cool.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2007-03-29, 3:40 AM #5
They've improved their business model dramatically over the past few years. I rather like them anymore.

I imagine you'll be able to choose.
D E A T H
2007-03-29, 3:49 AM #6
Do they still build propietary motherboard/power supply combinations so that if your power supply gets old and dies you can get a new one on your own?
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2007-03-29, 4:15 AM #7
Not sure.
D E A T H
2007-03-29, 4:40 AM #8
Originally posted by SMOCK!:
Do they still build propietary motherboard/power supply combinations so that if your power supply gets old and dies you can get a new one on your own?

the pinouts are proprietary, yes.
2007-03-29, 4:40 AM #9
AMD and Linux now...nice!
woot!
2007-03-29, 4:50 AM #10
Quote:
Very cool. I couldn't tell from the article: are all Dell machines going to be Linux in the future or do you get to choose?

That's dumb. Of course they'll still ship machines with windows pre-installed.

This whole thing is dumb. It's not as if you need special hardware to install linux or windows. Any* computer can run either.

*General statements not meant literally.
Wikissassi sucks.
2007-03-29, 5:00 AM #11
Originally posted by Isuwen:
That's dumb. Of course they'll still ship machines with windows pre-installed.

This whole thing is dumb. It's not as if you need special hardware to install linux or windows. Any* computer can run either.

*General statements not meant literally.

They save money on the windows license by using linux. How is that stupid?
D E A T H
2007-03-29, 6:17 AM #12
Except people who order Dell want an easy OS to use such as Windows. Not everyone has time to waste learning how to use Linux when you can just use a OS you known for so long.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-03-29, 6:18 AM #13
but it never hurts to have more choice, i think its pretty cool.
2007-03-29, 6:28 AM #14
Originally posted by Echoman:
Except people who order Dell want an easy OS to use such as Windows. Not everyone has time to waste learning how to use Linux when you can just use a OS you known for so long.

Apparently enough people wanted linux, or we wouldnt be having this conversation :p
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2007-03-29, 7:01 AM #15
Ubuntu is actually very easy to use, but I've heard they're putting SuSE on them or something.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-03-29, 7:05 AM #16
Yeah, they'll end up putting some crappy distro that no one wants, which leaves everyone in the exact same situation had they just gone with windows.

Unless, of course, they do lower the price for not getting a windows license, but somehow I doubt that. (They'll make it up in other places)
2007-03-29, 7:14 AM #17
Originally posted by MBeggar:
Apparently enough people wanted linux, or we wouldnt be having this conversation :p

The thing is, I doubt majority of Dell customers actually want Linux. I wouldn't be surprised a good handful of those customers don't even know what Linux does.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-03-29, 7:22 AM #18
If it will cost less to install Linux, then you could purchase that and install whatever the hell you want. I just hope they would make it cheaper, but CM is probably right that they'll keep the same price. :gbk:
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2007-03-29, 8:37 AM #19
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Yeah, they'll end up putting some crappy distro that no one wants, which leaves everyone in the exact same situation had they just gone with windows.

Unless, of course, they do lower the price for not getting a windows license, but somehow I doubt that. (They'll make it up in other places)

The nice thing is that they will ship machines that have working linux drivers, so if you buy one with a wireless card that runs linux, you will know ahead of time that it is possible to get said wireless card working, even if you switch distros. Most people don't care and just want to browse the web and check email.
2007-03-29, 8:41 AM #20
Oh, and hopefully it won't be loaded down with a trillion crappy applications that nobody wants. But knowing Dell...
2007-03-29, 8:57 AM #21
Nice to know that Linux can be pre-installed on Dell machines and honestly thats awesome :). At last there will be some PCs that are not infected by our 'loved' Windows. However would this Linux on Dell system allow dual-boot? It would be nice :)
2007-03-29, 9:00 AM #22
A Linux PC is still a PC. To the best of my knowledge, there's nothing stopping you from dual-booting on any current Dell (or any popular pre-built) machines. Toshiba certainly didn't seem to mind that I had dual-booted with Kubuntu & XP on my laptop.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-03-29, 9:22 AM #23
I thought that all the Linux zealots built their own machines and despised companies like Dell, Gateway, etc. :confused:
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-03-29, 9:37 AM #24
Only because they support the micro$ofts :downswords:

o.0
2007-03-29, 9:43 AM #25
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
I thought that all the Linux zealots built their own machines and despised companies like Dell, Gateway, etc. :confused:

Obviously, Mr I-compile-my-gentoo-from-scratch or even Miss I-know-enough-to-install-Linux-myself isn't going to say, sweet now I'll buy a Dell for Linux.

This is more a step towards putting Linux out there as an option in terms of a desktop OS. Using a simple OS like SUSE or Ubuntu is great if you just want to check email and surf the web. (I.E. Grandma) Heck, no worries about spyware. Which is probably the biggest reason I would have a new computer user use Linux. Windows can get pretty effed up if you don't understand that stuff.
2007-03-29, 10:08 AM #26
Originally posted by Vegiemaster:
Obviously, Mr I-compile-my-gentoo-from-scratch or even Miss [/color] I-know-enough-to-install-Linux-myself isn't going to say, sweet now I'll buy a Dell for Linux.

Lies. Women don't use Linux. I call shenanigans on your entire post.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-03-29, 11:53 AM #27
Crap. Now to play games on a new dell machine [Which looks unlikely] i need to BUY windows. Damn i was hoping i could avoid that expense.
2007-03-29, 12:00 PM #28
Originally posted by Wolfy:
Lies. Women don't use Linux. I call shenanigans on your entire post.

You just never see them because they hide in their mom's basements too. :downs:

[edit]
And they have neck-beards, so they blend in...:ninja:
2007-03-29, 12:30 PM #29
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
Crap. Now to play games on a new dell machine [Which looks unlikely] i need to BUY windows. Damn i was hoping i could avoid that expense.

TE, do you have this functional inability to understand technology in any form?

Dell ALWAYS charged for Windows. That hasn't changed.
2007-03-29, 12:39 PM #30
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
TE, do you have this functional inability to understand technology in any form?

I was thinking it, but you said it perfectly. :downs:
2007-03-29, 1:52 PM #31
I actually bought my last PC from LAC Linux. It came preinstalled with a nice warranty, tech support, backup cds, etc. I would like to have more of a choice, esp. since places like Dell can probably manufacture the PCs for a cheaper price.
2007-03-29, 3:37 PM #32
I wouldn't be surprised if the price reduction is minimal or nonexistent.

As for Broadcom drivers, yay. Here's hoping there are some Dell laptops with 4318s.
2007-03-29, 5:04 PM #33
Originally posted by JediGandalf:

The majority of Linux users are businesses who want the hardware/software technical support contract. If you're ordering 500 laptops it's much easier to get them preinstalled with Linux on hardware with guaranteed driver support.

Either way this is an amazingly good move. It means vendors will need good drivers or they lose Dell (and probably other manufacturers) as customers. Broadcom, ATI and NVIDIA I'm looking at you.
2007-03-29, 5:14 PM #34
No, those companies will continue to make hardware and drivers for the vast majority of Dell's machines that will still come with windows. Dell is more likely to just use different hardware in the linux machines than it is to drop a company just because their linux support sucks. It doesn't mean Dell won't pressure them to shape up, but don't hold your breath.
Wikissassi sucks.
2007-03-29, 5:23 PM #35
A great move, in the right direction.

50 kudo points to Dell.
2007-03-29, 5:40 PM #36
No, those companies will continue to make hardware and drivers for the vast majority of Dell's machines that will still come with windows. Dell is more likely to just use different hardware in the linux machines than it is to drop a company just because their linux support sucks. It doesn't mean Dell won't pressure them to shape up, but don't hold your breath.

Hurr?

Broadcom already released opensource drivers for their Tigon series cards because they were being pushed out of the server market.

Dell saves a lot of money by buying their components in bulk. Combine that with the fact that Broadcom's biggest OEM competitor (intel) already offers full opensource drivers and you pretty much eliminate any incentive for Dell to retain Broadcom as a source.

Broadcom is going to jump on this. However, just like with the Tigon drivers, I don't expect them to become part of the kernel without being rewritten.
2007-03-29, 6:01 PM #37

Do you know...anything about the hardware market? Like...at all? Because everything you post screams :downswords:
D E A T H
2007-03-29, 6:06 PM #38
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Do you know...anything about the hardware market? Like...at all? Because everything you post screams :downswords:

His previous posts have yet to demonstrate knowledge of much of anything.
2007-03-29, 6:33 PM #39

You need to start understanding the business mind set. Things run like clockwork. Day in, day out, never does it cease without so much as a hitch. Businesses don't just simply switch devices because of something like this. Think about what they now have to support. They have to support computers with the old and the new devices. They have to test out the new device and its driver. This means that tech support needs to learn about this device and its driver. They need to know how to troubleshoot the device and its driver. This is added cost to Dell. It is much more advantageous for Dell (and for us) to grab Broadcom by the horse-collar and demand quality drivers for Linux or Broadcom loses additional business in their new Linux machines.

Edit: Businesses threatened with losses of LARGE contracts get them to do ANYTHING.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-03-29, 8:12 PM #40
Anything?

↑ Up to the top!