Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Dell Goes Linux
Dell Goes Linux
2007-03-29, 8:25 PM #41
Originally posted by Jon`C:
the pinouts are proprietary, yes.

Still? I'm fairly sure they changed. Almost positive.
2007-03-29, 8:27 PM #42
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
Crap. Now to play games on a new dell machine [Which looks unlikely] i need to BUY windows. Damn i was hoping i could avoid that expense.

Did you even read the thread? How on earth...

Doh! :argh:
2007-03-29, 8:32 PM #43
Aww... seriously?

I wonder what brand of Linux they will use. I use Ubuntu.

---
and Brian is a banned admin?
gosh what have I missed out on.
Back again
2007-03-29, 8:38 PM #44
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Still? I'm fairly sure they changed. Almost positive.

I'm reasonably certain they're still proprietary. It's not like their motivation is to keep people from replacing their own power supply. More like it's to keep people from starting a fire by being computer retarded.
2007-03-30, 5:46 PM #45
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
I thought that all the Linux zealots built their own machines and despised companies like Dell, Gateway, etc. :confused:

What about businesses that use Linux? Do they built massive amounts of PC's from scratch? Or do they use Dell's/HP's and install over Windows? I think this a great option for businesses looking for a large amount of cheap PC's with Linux.
2007-03-30, 7:35 PM #46
I believe most businesses, especially ones with a good number of similar PCs, have their own customized cd installer that runs pretty much by itself. Slap it in, come back in an hour, and it's done.
2007-03-30, 8:37 PM #47
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
I believe most businesses, especially ones with a good number of similar PCs, have their own customized cd installer that runs pretty much by itself. Slap it in, come back in an hour, and it's done.

Yeah, most will just buy a ton of the same box from like Dell or HP, then ghost (or something similar) them with a copy of one preconfigured machine. Since it would be all the same hardware. Makes it really easy to fix your problems too.
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2007-03-30, 9:16 PM #48
Originally posted by Cool Matty:

Once again, the issue is the support contract and hardware compatibility. Dell preconfigured with Linux is great even if they do have their own automated install DVDs.

But actually the proper way of doing it is with network imaging. :colbert:

↑ Up to the top!