Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → How often do you visit a library?
How often do you visit a library?
2007-04-05, 11:09 AM #1
I was just thinking about how awesome the public library is, and I was wondering how many of you have discovered this wonderful place.

There are tons of free things, and knowledge is literally everywhere. Yes, there are things you can learn from a library that you can not learn from the internet! :neckbeard:
2007-04-05, 11:10 AM #2
Rarely.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-04-05, 11:14 AM #3
Never.
D E A T H
2007-04-05, 11:22 AM #4
my uni has a public library, i go there to study sometimes.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2007-04-05, 11:23 AM #5
Originally posted by Axis:
Yes, there are things you can learn from a library that you can not learn from the internet! :neckbeard:
Hardly. And that gap is getting smaller every single day. Eventually, every book in existence will be archived on the internet.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-04-05, 11:24 AM #6
I haven't been to a public library in ages. I used to go to my university library or its satellites if I needed anything.
Pissed Off?
2007-04-05, 11:26 AM #7
When I have to write a paper that I can't completely BS. So, rarely.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2007-04-05, 11:26 AM #8
When I have to write a paper... Coincidentally, I've been to the university library twice in the past 3 years...
2007-04-05, 11:51 AM #9
My school has one. These days I never go in though unless I need to steal things out of it when I'm setting up Lighting and Sound equipment.
nope.
2007-04-05, 12:14 PM #10
I go to my university's main library a couple of times a week. Occasionally to study, mostly just for a place to use my laptop in peace and pass time.

I've never taken out a book, don't even know what the procedure is.
2007-04-05, 12:15 PM #11
I used to work at the local library back home, so naturally I was there all the time. Now, though, I just go in for a visit every once in a while to see my old coworkers, so rarely I guess. I still get books and such out though.
Stuff
2007-04-05, 12:30 PM #12
Our public library has a large collection of Star Wars novels, as well as a decent video selection - all for free. Me likey!
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2007-04-05, 12:44 PM #13
Originally posted by Axis:
Yes, there are things you can learn from a library that you can not learn from the internet! :neckbeard:

You suck at the internet.
2007-04-05, 12:52 PM #14
I used to work in the library at university. And even then, I would still drop by from time to time.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-04-05, 1:30 PM #15
In four years of University I never went to the university library, heck I only went in the actual building (it has other things like lecture theatres) three times.

I used to go to the local library quite a lot as a child but now I just use the intarweb for finding things out, or I buy the books myself.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2007-04-05, 1:57 PM #16
Originally posted by Detty:
I used to go to the local library quite a lot as a child but now I just use the intarweb for finding things out, or I buy the books myself.

Thats about the same for me.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2007-04-05, 2:10 PM #17
Go there to do hw once in a while

I go more to my school library and less to public libraries
一个大西瓜
2007-04-05, 2:19 PM #18
I just buy the book. It's fine. I've got lots of shelf space to fill.
Wikissassi sucks.
2007-04-05, 2:57 PM #19
Originally posted by Freelancer:
Hardly. And that gap is getting smaller every single day. Eventually, every book in existence will be archived on the internet.

There's so many books that aren't on the internet that it isn't even worth counting. It'd be easier to count the ones that are. I think you grossly exaggerate the number of ebooks.
2007-04-05, 3:11 PM #20
I spend a good couple of hours every day in the Library at school. Mostly doing school work, but also browsing the internet... I don't have my own computer anymore, so the only way I can check email and such is in the Library.
2007-04-05, 3:18 PM #21
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
Our public library has a large collection of Star Wars novels, as well as a decent video selection - all for free. Me likey!
This is why I use the library. Almost all I did during middle school was read Star Wars novels, so I was there all the time. Right now I'm waiting for my turn to read Allegiance. Too bad they don't have any of the SW: Empire comics; I've thought of buying them myself and donating them to the library so other people can use them, because I know they'd just be sitting on my shelf a lot of the time.
2007-04-05, 3:25 PM #22
Used to go a lot, but then I hit college and pretty much stopped going.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2007-04-05, 4:16 PM #23
Library is for dorks.
:master::master::master:
2007-04-05, 4:42 PM #24
Calling dorks dorks is for dorks.
2007-04-05, 5:49 PM #25
Originally posted by Reid:
Calling dorks dorks is for dorks.

Dorks take stat seriously.
2007-04-05, 6:04 PM #26
I hardly believe stat was kidding

America is stupid becuase our culture, and people like stat...

2007-04-05, 6:41 PM #27
:awesome::awesome:libraries rock, they are charming and awesome:awesome::awesome:
2007-04-05, 6:49 PM #28
rarely anymore. we moved and the library system here sucks. i miss the CCPL.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2007-04-05, 7:02 PM #29
Originally posted by zephiyr:
I hardly believe stat was kidding

America is stupid becuase our culture, and people like stat...

Ahahhahaha. It's easy to tell that you don't know stat...at all.
D E A T H
2007-04-05, 9:29 PM #30
My work includes closing a library for the day... that's about it.
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2007-04-05, 9:44 PM #31
i go fairly often, sometimes just because its an awesome building.

[http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c334/darth_alran/library.jpg]
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2007-04-05, 10:45 PM #32
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
There's so many books that aren't on the internet that it isn't even worth counting. It'd be easier to count the ones that are. I think you grossly exaggerate the number of ebooks.

I never said more than half of all books are archived on the internet. I said that eventually they all will be.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-04-05, 10:50 PM #33
Doubtful. Theres these things called copyrights.

o.0
2007-04-05, 11:06 PM #34
Originally posted by Greenboy:
Doubtful. Theres these things called copyrights.

libraries do it, don't they?

Just extend that concept to the internet.

Libraries should have been obsolete ten years ago.
2007-04-05, 11:14 PM #35

libraries do it, don't they?

Just extend that concept to the internet.

Libraries should have been obsolete ten years ago.

Noooo. There's nothing like parusing through a book in a nice soft chair. Also in a library, you see the wealth of knowledge and literature right then and there. On the internet, you have to go an find it yourself. Sometimes, I would be stuck thumbing through back issues of American Journal of Physics that I nonchalantly picked up. 3/4 of the time I couldn't understand the complex equations but the concepts were no doubt fascinating.

Seriously, I rue the day when everything is available on PADDs (Star Trek device) and books are considered antiquities.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-04-05, 11:15 PM #36
Sorry. Please try again.

o.0
2007-04-05, 11:22 PM #37
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
Also in a library, you see the wealth of knowledge and literature right then and there. On the internet, you have to go an find it yourself.
Um, this won't always be the case. Books could be archived in an organized manner; just like in a library.

In fact, Google has already done the leg-work.
2007-04-05, 11:31 PM #38
Um, this won't always be the case. Books could be archived in an organized manner; just like in a library.

In fact, Google has already done the leg-work.

Not the same though. You still have to look for a specific title or subject. Great and all for research but what I'm talking about is aimlessly wandering about the bookshelves and going "Hey. That looks interesting. Lemme read it."
2007-04-05, 11:46 PM #39
I'm going to be very upset if books get replaced with pdfs. I've found heaps of great stuff just meandering about the library. And I mean meander.

Plus, reading a pdf by monitor's glow doesn't give the same fuzzies as reading a book on the couch or in bed.

The only thing I want electronic copies of are journal articles because I do research and I don't like going to the library to find some undergrad scum :P hasn't replaced the journal I need.
2007-04-05, 11:50 PM #40
I guess that makes you guys inflexible old dinosaur humbuggers.

↑ Up to the top!