Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I hit a seagull with my car today.
I hit a seagull with my car today.
2007-04-06, 4:57 PM #1
Good lord.

I was driving down a street in Providence when I saw a seagull standing the middle of the road. There was a pile of spilled potatoe chips or something so it was doing what seagull do best: eating garbage. The thing is, the seagull knew I was coming closer with my car, I saw it watch me with its black doll eyes, but the damn bird didn't want to move. I'm here in the driver's seat thinking it would fly away like any other normal bird, but no, the seagull wasn't planning on flying anytime soon. Well, that isn't entirely true. It did try to fly away...but at the last second. So yeah, I hit it.

Damn, when did certain birds become so fat and lazy that they aren't willing to fly away from danger...or atleast move aside? That seagull reminds me of those fat winged rats in New York City. I couldn't swerve to the side or competely stop; that would be dangerous on a fairly busy city street.

A seagull is not a small bird or rodent. It's not a squirrel or chipmunk. When you hit a seagull...you feel it. There isn't much question.

So...to make me feel better...anyone else ever hit a bird with their car?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-04-06, 5:06 PM #2
I was once driving home in the dark, going about 60mph, when out of nowhere, a giant owl swooped down and slammed into my windshield. The owl proceeded to roll off the left side of my windshield, and tear my driver's side mirror off.

I damn near **** myself when it happened.
2007-04-06, 5:09 PM #3
I got a pigeon once. Didn't feel it, though.
2007-04-06, 5:12 PM #4
I don't drive yet, but once I was in a car and my friend ran over a cat that was holding a bird in its paw. Most of the cat was smeared onto the street but the bird didn't get hurt. It fluttered away with the injured wing from the cat. :\
Back again
2007-04-06, 5:24 PM #5
Once when my family was driving along a highway through the Sandhills the car started making a funny noise. We pulled over, and it turned out a bird had gotten lodged in the engine somewhere.
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2007-04-06, 5:57 PM #6
Not quite an animal, but my mother hit a cyclist with her car last year, goodness me, talk about a mini-heart attack. Luckily for us, cyclist, bicycle AND car were perfectly undamaged. Still, at the moment itself it was certainly "EEK!" worthy.
Seishun da!
2007-04-06, 6:03 PM #7
I almost missed hitting a bird, but then a car flies past me and kills the poor thing

2007-04-06, 6:18 PM #8
Providence? As in Rhode Island?
"And lo, let us open up into the holy book of Proxy2..." -genk
His pot is blacker than his kettle!
2007-04-06, 6:29 PM #9
Originally posted by Echoman:
Good lord.

I was driving down a street in Providence when I saw a seagull standing the middle of the road. There was a pile of spilled potatoe chips or something so it was doing what seagull do best: eating garbage. The thing is, the seagull knew I was coming closer with my car, I saw it watch me with its black doll eyes, but the damn bird didn't want to move. I'm here in the driver's seat thinking it would fly away like any other normal bird, but no, the seagull wasn't planning on flying anytime soon. Well, that isn't entirely true. It did try to fly away...but at the last second. So yeah, I hit it.

Damn, when did certain birds become so fat and lazy that they aren't willing to fly away from danger...or atleast move aside? That seagull reminds me of those fat winged rats in New York City. I couldn't swerve to the side or competely stop; that would be dangerous on a fairly busy city street.

A seagull is not a small bird or rodent. It's not a squirrel or chipmunk. When you hit a seagull...you feel it. There isn't much question.

So...to make me feel better...anyone else ever hit a bird with their car?

Providence as in Providence RI??? cause i live in RI too

man i never thought i would meet anyone else on these forums from the same state :downs:
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2007-04-06, 6:30 PM #10
Originally posted by LordVirus:
Providence? As in Rhode Island?

Yeah

This explains why there was a seagull in a city.
2007-04-06, 6:31 PM #11
Originally posted by SiliconC:
I was once driving home in the dark, going about 60mph, when out of nowhere, a giant owl swooped down and slammed into my windshield. The owl proceeded to roll off the left side of my windshield, and tear my driver's side mirror off.

I damn near **** myself when it happened.

Hey owl, look out! A car is coming!

Orly?

WWWHHHHACCCCKKK!!!

...Yarly
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2007-04-06, 6:35 PM #12
2007-04-06, 7:29 PM #13
Look at it this way. If the bird was dumb enough to get hit by a car, you're doing the species a favor.
Pissed Off?
2007-04-06, 7:54 PM #14
Originally posted by zephiyr:
I almost missed hitting a bird, but then a car flies past me and kills the poor thing
So you almost missed it, and it survived that only to be hit again by another car!?
2007-04-06, 8:06 PM #15
Wow Savage, something like that happens only once in a lifetime.
Back again
2007-04-06, 8:31 PM #16
Whacked a seagull on the highway once doing 140 km/h. ****ing thing went through the front grille and burnt on my radiator.
2007-04-06, 8:43 PM #17
I watched a full-size Chevy pickup hit a full-size buzzard...man. I was behind the truck..the bird ricocheted off the windscreen of the pickup and must've gone 10ft in the air.
woot!
2007-04-06, 8:46 PM #18
Don't worry about it. I'm big in conservation of wildlife and other animals, but even this isn't a big deal. Accidents happen, all you can do is continue the flow with it.

You showed no malice and only impatience, and although it lead to the death of another living thing, put it behind you.

:hist101:
2007-04-06, 8:50 PM #19
Yuck. That'd just about make me mad enough to bust out my 12 gauge and polish off the rest of it's suicidally-lazy family.
2007-04-06, 9:03 PM #20
WE HAD A DEAL!
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2007-04-06, 9:28 PM #21
I hit a crow once. "Thud" is an inaccurate description, it was more like "BAM!" complete with a shudder through the entire truck.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2007-04-06, 11:41 PM #22
A pigeon flew headfirst into my windshield once. We don't really have birds bigger than that here.
2007-04-07, 12:17 AM #23
Some sort of small bird, maybe a sparrow or something, once swooped in front of my car and got stuck in my front bumper when I hit it. I saw it in a parking lot, its neck broke on impact.

Also a little while ago a groundhog jumps in front of my car. I was going 35 and didn't even have enough time to brake, it jumped out so quickly. I hit it between my wheels. In the rearview mirror, I see it roll twice, then merrily walk off the road and down into the creekbed on the other side.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2007-04-07, 12:20 AM #24
Once when my family was driving home from vacation on December 24 my mom drove straight into a dove. o_o
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2007-04-07, 7:59 AM #25
Once when I was a kid my family was driving on a highway and all of a sudden out of nowhere there's this huge red splat on the windshield. Turned out it was a bat, but the damned thing exploded like a water balloon (only reason we knew it was a bat was my dad caught a glimpse before the hit).
2007-04-07, 9:13 AM #26
Originally posted by Warlockmish:
Wow Savage, something like that happens only once in a lifetime.

Pfft, nothing.

About 15 years ago my friend's dad was driving along the motorway at night, when a duck flew through the windsheild and hit the back window. Needless to say it died, but luckily it was a company car. :P

Actually about 2 years ago I was heading down to my gran's for the weekend, and we were driving past a field in this town when 2 cats chasing each other come flying across the road. My dad hits the brakes, but he only saw one of them run away. He waits a sec and then drives forwards a few feet. Yeah, the car mysteriously dropped a few inches at the back when he moved. :(
nope.
2007-04-07, 10:12 AM #27
Not a bird, but probably the most impressive roadkill ever.

Deer gore. (not for the faint of stomach)
2007-04-07, 10:30 AM #28
One time on a roadtrip a roadrunner came all up ins the passenger side window, which was open, smacked the pylon there, and flew (dead) back out of the car... that was a shock.
2007-04-07, 10:31 AM #29
A friend of mine hit a chicken at about 75mph.

My father used to get annoyed by this farmer's chickens always being in the road... so one day he just kept going. He said he nailed about 4 of them that day. He continued to do this for the next few days. After that, no more chickens in the road.
>>untie shoes
2007-04-07, 10:53 AM #30
the other day i was driving through the mall parking lot the day after a snow storm, i almost didn't see the group of about 15 seagulls sitting in the snow

it was odd
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2007-04-07, 11:28 AM #31
There are more people here in the New England area than I expected. Hmm.
"And lo, let us open up into the holy book of Proxy2..." -genk
His pot is blacker than his kettle!
2007-04-07, 11:29 AM #32
Originally posted by Aglar:

Oh deer!
2007-04-07, 11:39 AM #33
Originally posted by SavageX378:
Oh deer!

:neckbeard:
2007-04-07, 12:52 PM #34
My mom hit a deer once. Felt it.
2007-04-07, 1:00 PM #35
Originally posted by Reid:
My mom hit a deer once. Felt it.

. . .wow, I read that wrong. :eek:
My blawgh.
2007-04-07, 2:37 PM #36
I hit a cat once about 8 years ago. :( I could feel its bones breaking under my tire.
"The funniest thing about time is when it doesn't. I'll leave you hanging there for the moment, and let you age while the shadows don't lengthen, if you see what I mean." ~~Steven Brust
2007-04-07, 3:08 PM #37
I hit a deer. Ten point buck. Totaled my motorcycle. Ripped my shoulder out of socket. Broke my wrist. Took half the skin off my back. The deer walked away. *******.
Wikissassi sucks.
2007-04-07, 4:05 PM #38
Originally posted by SenatorPheba:
I hit a cat once about 8 years ago. :( I could feel its bones breaking under my tire.

You evil man.
2007-04-07, 4:44 PM #39
She's not a man...
2007-04-07, 5:06 PM #40
Originally posted by Aglar:

:o

↑ Up to the top!