Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Grindhouse
Grindhouse
2007-04-06, 9:16 PM #1
This is a place holder until i can write a full review, but let me just say that both directors did an awesome job and the fake trailers in between the two movies were just plain hilarious.

So for those of you who have seen Grindhouse already, which film did you prefer?
Think while it's still legal.
2007-04-06, 9:25 PM #2
Careful SAJN, one of these days someone will post "Omg this movie rules" or "Omg this movie is overrated!" before you!

:psyduck:
2007-04-06, 9:29 PM #3
ROFLUMADEFUNNYJOAK!
2007-04-06, 9:36 PM #4
I'm too lazy to look it up and haven't seen the movie yet, but did the two directors help each other with making both segments or did each director did his own?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-04-06, 9:54 PM #5
I kind of want to see this, but it seems like it might be...excessivly violent.

PS - what kind of role did Michael Biehn get?

PPS - is it like three hours long?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2007-04-06, 10:05 PM #6
I haven't seen it yet, but I'm most looking forward to Death Proof. The other film just looks... meh.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2007-04-06, 10:08 PM #7
No way, I had no idea it's out. They're cutting the film up in Europe though, with separate release dates each. Absolute fail. Might as well wait until the DVD version.
幻術
2007-04-06, 10:26 PM #8
I doubt I'll see it. Maybe years from now, but where I stand on my current money situation. . .and fear of gore. Yeah.
My blawgh.
2007-04-06, 11:03 PM #9
Both flicks ruled. I probably enjoyed Death Proof a tad bit more, just because the dialog was just plain ol' hilarious and vintage Tarantino, not to mention a really kickass car chase. For those about the violence, Planet Terror is full of it, but there is hardly any in Death Proof (Death Proof is pretty dialog driven, but still damn good).
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2007-04-06, 11:14 PM #10
As of the moment, Death Proof. However, the two films were "different" enough to void direct comparison. Planet of Terror had some great moments, but in the end I think I still enjoyed Death Proof more.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2007-04-06, 11:37 PM #11
I could only sit through the first one before i left to go get drunk
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2007-04-07, 12:02 AM #12
I just got back from watching it. It was ****ing awesome. Just. ****ing. Awesome.

Planet Terror definitely had more awesome per minute than Death Proof, but Death Proof had a ****ing awesome ending.

I'll say I liked Planet Terror more because it had more great moments, and it was Rodriguez at his best. I mean, Rose McGowan with an M-16 leg ( and minigun ), what's not to like? It had many more memorable lines and great moments. "Hey JT, this is good sausage." Tarantino's cameo was brilliant and more entertaining than in Death Proof. And I will say, of all the blood, gore, lesions, and missing limbs, the most disturbing part of the movie was Marley Shelton (the nurse) getting her hand caught in the door . Also, the missing reel during the sex scene was just plain funny, and the scene with the butterfly knives was 15 kinds of awesome . "She's brainless." The film was over the top and hilarious. "I never miss."

Death Proof was definitely more slowly paced than Planet Terror. A lot of the movie was just a bunch of girls shooting the ****, and while the dialogue wasn't boring, it also wasn't terribly memorable. Not as many one-liners as in Planet Terror. Kurt Russel was pretty entertaining in the first half of the movie, but much better in the second. A few characters make a comeback, Marley Shelton, Rose McGowan (who looks better with black hair, blonde doesn't suite her), Tarantino etc. Tarantino's character in Death Proof wasn't as entertaining as in Planet Terror. I was hoping to see a cameo from Rodriguez, but alas, no. The car chase was ****ing awesome, and the ending was totally worth the wait. Great movie.

The trailers before the first movie and in the intermission was also ****ing hilarious, and worth the price of admission alone. Danny Trejo as Machete was brilliant, and the appearance of Cheech Marin was great. Tarantino and Rodriguez need to get back together and produce Machete, because it would be a kick *** movie. Don't was kind of dumb. Werewolf Women of the SS was pretty dumb too, but Nicolas Cage's appearance as Fu Manchu was hilarious. Also, Rob Zombie directed it, so it was what it was. Thanksgiving was the second-best, following Machete, because of its ridiculousness. Sheer awesome.

Great film. I highly recommend it. Grindhouse is what happens when the studios bring in Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino, give them an unlimited budget, and say "Go have fun." ****ing awesome. Also, Machete needs to be made into a full length feature film.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2007-04-07, 6:16 AM #13
I haven't seen it yet, but from the first trailer I saw, I think I want to see Machete more than anything.

Found this with a google search:
http://www.filmwad.com/grindhouse-s-machete-to-get-his-own-feature-film-1876-p.html

Quote:
... what started out as a mere fake trailer for Grindhouse is now going to become a straight-to-dvd solo flick. Evidently, this tidbit was released by Rodriguez himself, who spoke of it as if it was already a done deal.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2007-04-07, 9:05 AM #14
Neveh hoid of it. :/
nope.
2007-04-07, 9:49 AM #15
I want to, but when I do I probably won't be able to decide. They both look awesome.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-04-07, 7:59 PM #16
Just got back. I adored it. "This one's a no-brainer." I have to say I liked Planet Terror best, but I think I'll have to buy the dvd once it's out and then decide. I loved Tarantino's little Pulp Fiction allusions: "tasty beverage," "big cahona burgers," the mention of a "foot massage," and plenty of others I can't remember. I was disappointed that Death Proof didn't tell us what ended up between Jasper and the girls' fourth friend. But I loved loved loved Grindhouse as a whole.
2007-04-07, 9:49 PM #17
I enjoyed Death Proof more than Planet Terror, but the theatre experience as a whole was awesome.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2007-04-07, 9:56 PM #18
The movie was awesome. I'm not sure which half I liked better; both were absolutely hilarious. Now I can't wait to see if they actually make that Machete movie! :neckbeard:
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2007-04-08, 9:51 AM #19
I'm going to see it today at 4:00.

Rodriguez said if the box office is high enough he's going to finish making machete. He said that he has a roughly 45 minute cut of it that just needs a storyline to go with all the action he shot. He said it would take about a week of shooting and editing to make a finished movie, and apparantly Danny Trejo is begging him to finish it.
>>untie shoes
2007-04-08, 10:27 AM #20
Definitely the most fun I've had at the movies in a long time.
2007-04-08, 11:06 AM #21
Yea, I really wanted to see machete
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2007-04-08, 11:41 AM #22
That movie was ridiculous. I was skeptical, and went only because Tarantino hasn't steered me wrong yet.
I have to say Planet Terror was a bit much for me, but I'm not really a zombie movie buff like some of my friends. Death Proof was friggin' outrageous; it boils the chase movie down to its essence, and has become my favorite. The perfect homage and practical parody of the hicksploitation, slasher and chase genres. I thought it was great how it subtly advocates stuntmen and women, and traditional special effects, by producing one of the first chase scenes in 10 years that you can truly get into.

I also love the continuation of Tarantino's decision to cast more or less down-and-out actors like Russel, and a non-actress like Bell (apparently a good actress besides being a ridiculous stuntwomen).
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2007-04-08, 4:47 PM #23
I have never giggled like a little kid more during a movie in my entire life. My stomach hurts from laughing.

That was awesome.
>>untie shoes
2007-04-15, 2:56 AM #24
Just got back, it was pretty much pure awesome.
2007-04-15, 7:26 AM #25
We laugh for about five minutes into Deathproof because of the trailer for Thanksgiving. I hate to say, but I think Thanksgiving was the funniest damn thing in the entire movie.

Both of the actual movies were good, too. I loved the missing reels during the sex scene - so much story lost. It was hilarious. The lack of a lapdance scene made me :gbk:.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-04-15, 7:44 AM #26
Really can't wait to see this (and not the stupid EU version). I still can't believe they've cut the movie in two. Wombats. Here's what they're playing now (with my subtle commentary):

[http://intuitive-ds.com/personal/HUmoviesFAIL.gif]
幻術
2007-04-15, 11:35 AM #27
Mr Bean's Holiday and Norbit are fail?

You suck at life.
2007-04-15, 11:38 AM #28
Norbit is definitely fail.
>>untie shoes
2007-04-15, 1:01 PM #29
They made another Mr. Bean movie?
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-04-15, 2:30 PM #30
Pan's Labyrinth is not fail.
2007-04-15, 2:40 PM #31
The Last King Of Scotland won an oscar or two.
nope.
2007-04-15, 2:48 PM #32
Originally posted by Wolfy:
Both of the actual movies were good, too. I loved the missing reels during the sex scene - so much story lost. It was hilarious. The lack of a lapdance scene made me :gbk:.

They show a little bit of the lap dance in the trailer. Word is they had to cut stuff so it wouldn't be NC-17, and they just decided to cut huge chunks.

And Koobie, they may be cut in half, but you get 20+ minutes of extra footage and probably don't have the missing reels so stop whining.
2007-04-15, 3:01 PM #33
There's a Mr. Bean movie? I must see this!
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2007-04-16, 11:53 PM #34
Originally posted by Victor Van Dort:
Pan's Labyrinth is not fail.

Word. Grindhouse is also awesome though.
Aquapark - Untitled JK Arena Level - Prism CTF
2007-04-17, 10:38 AM #35
The should have switched the order of the films. Death Proof was too slow to dump the audience into after the bloodbath of Planet Terror.
omnia mea mecum porto
2007-04-17, 11:10 AM #36
Even if Pan's Labyrinth is not too bad (I've only read a couple of reviews that pretty much qualified it as a pseudo-psychological horror movie with Nazis, haven't seen the actual movie), they're playing it in (ZOMG) Spanish. What good is that? And I can't stand neither Mr. Bean nor toilet humour about fat people. I'm sure some people really dig that stuff, though. Sad.

Originally posted by Vinny:
And Koobie, they may be cut in half, but you get 20+ minutes of extra footage and probably don't have the missing reels so stop whining.

I didn't know that.
幻術
2007-04-17, 11:14 AM #37
@Roach

I'll agree with that. After seeing Planet Terror I was looking forward to more action.
2007-04-17, 11:31 AM #38
The dvds are supposed to feature "never before seen remastered and recut definative versions" of the movies along with the full cut of the movie "machete."
>>untie shoes
2007-04-17, 11:38 AM #39
That=Pure Concentrated Awesome
2007-04-17, 12:38 PM #40
I'm actually going to be seeing it for the second time tonight because:
A. the two friends who could go with me last week are both free to go and want me to go too.
And
B. our local cinema during the fall and spring has "$5 tuesdays" and i can't resist the cinema experience when its that cheap.
"It sounds like an epidemic."
"Look, I don't know what that means. But it happens all the time." - Penny Arcade
Last.fm

↑ Up to the top!