Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Spread the transmission
Spread the transmission
2007-05-01, 12:10 AM #1
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

:eek:
2007-05-01, 12:12 AM #2
I herd u liek to crack HD-DVDz.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-05-01, 12:16 AM #3
:tinfoil:
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-05-01, 12:17 AM #4
Good game, MPAA.
omnia mea mecum porto
2007-05-01, 12:23 AM #5
What a silly little number...

When will you people finaly understand the meaning of true security?
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2007-05-01, 7:47 PM #6
K this is going to sound really stupid, but what exactly are those numbers for? Do they have something to do with cracking HD-DVDs?
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2007-05-01, 7:52 PM #7
It's the HD-DVD Processing Key, the key used to encrypt all HD-DVDs. With it, the encryption is useless. If this key were to be changed (to make it secure again), every single HD-DVD player would be useless for newly produced HD-DVDs (until a firmware update).

At least that's what I think it means.

Previously we've just seen hardware keys... keys tied to specific HD-DVD player brands. That's a smaller scale of this breach (all that's needed to fix those is just reissue a new key and firmware for the specific player brand).

2007-05-01, 8:09 PM #8
But they can't remotely update the firmware, can they? They'd have to recall every single HD-DVD player. Besides, how'd they get this in the first place? Couldn't they just do that again.
2007-05-01, 8:11 PM #9
Originally posted by The Mega-ZZTer:
It's the HD-DVD Processing Key, the key used to encrypt all HD-DVDs. With it, the encryption is useless. If this key were to be changed (to make it secure again), every single HD-DVD player would be useless for newly produced HD-DVDs (until a firmware update).

Doesn't matter if they change it, it'll just be uncovered again.

Edit: Wow, I just checked out Digg, and the response at this is amazing :P
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2007-05-01, 8:17 PM #10
It's because Digg doesn't want to be sued, so they removed it, and the people that post on digg are pissed off they're being censored.
2007-05-01, 8:25 PM #11
The key has passed on to the super information highway of the internet

There is no way to stop the contamination

End of line
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2007-05-01, 8:25 PM #12
Hmm... This will make HD-DVD really popular among consumers, but not so much among film companies... at least until Blue-Ray is cracked. I bet Sony is really, really happy right now.

I don't want HD-DVD to die though, 1000$ players don't make me happy.
2007-05-01, 9:48 PM #13
Wow, who figured that out? (He might want to go into hiding).
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2007-05-01, 10:28 PM #14
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Hmm... This will make HD-DVD really popular among consumers, but not so much among film companies... at least until Blue-Ray is cracked. I bet Sony is really, really happy right now.

I don't want HD-DVD to die though, 1000$ players don't make me happy.

Saw a press release from Wal-Mart a few weeks back that said they were going to heavily support HD-DVD and they were flexing their e-peens saying that means blu ray is dead.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-05-01, 10:45 PM #15
If I recall correctly, I believe the person who found it found it in an unencrypted, plain text file on one of his HD-DVDs.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2007-05-01, 11:55 PM #16
Can't stop the signal.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-05-01, 11:58 PM #17
Originally posted by happydud:
Can't stop the signal.

Information wants to be free, yo?
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2007-05-01, 11:59 PM #18
That guy killed me, Mal. He killed me with a sword. How weird is that?
Think while it's still legal.
2007-05-02, 12:23 AM #19
Can't stop the signal.

Beat me to it.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2007-05-02, 2:04 AM #20
Somehow when I saw this thread I thought of "Hackers" at the end when they play that song "Hack The Planet"

O_o

Am I weird?
If my smoking bothers you, don't breathe.
2007-05-02, 4:18 AM #21
Originally posted by 82nd_Fister:
Somehow when I saw this thread I thought of "Hackers" at the end when they play that song "Hack The Planet"

O_o

Am I weird?

I love you
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2007-05-02, 6:34 AM #22
Originally posted by Ric_Olie:
If I recall correctly, I believe the person who found it found it in an unencrypted, plain text file on one of his HD-DVDs.

Wow. I so want that to be true.

This is kind of sad, though. I haven't invested in either format, but in the back of my mind I was rooting for HD DVD. Unless Bluray is similarly cracked in a relatively short amount of time, this could pretty easily cement it as the winner.
2007-05-02, 6:57 AM #23
You can never stop the trans- er signal.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2007-05-02, 7:06 AM #24
Attachment: 16164/hd-dvd.png (339 bytes)
Sorry for the lousy German
2007-05-02, 7:38 AM #25
So this will make the first "illegal prime" much shorter then, no? IIRC the previous shortest one had the DeCSS code embedded in it.
Stuff
2007-05-02, 8:30 AM #26
Originally posted by Impi:

Slick.
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2007-05-02, 8:44 AM #27
Can't stop the signal, but can you STOP THE PIGEON?
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-05-02, 8:53 AM #28
Originally posted by Aglar:
Wow. I so want that to be true.

This is kind of sad, though. I haven't invested in either format, but in the back of my mind I was rooting for HD DVD. Unless Bluray is similarly cracked in a relatively short amount of time, this could pretty easily cement it as the winner.

My recall was not entirely correct. However, the process for obtaining the title key is relatively simple. There is an .aacs file that contains the encrypted title key on each disk. The AACS-LA has the process for decrypting the key thoroughly documented on their website in a pdf file.

Not that it matters anymore, since the unencrypted key is out for all to see, but I believe that's how it was obtained.

[Edit]Found what I think I was referring to in my first post
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2007-05-02, 10:12 AM #29
I read the forum post back from Feb 11, when it was first discovered, and no it wasn't discovered in a plain text file. The guy essentially "watched the DVD from RAM" and through analyzing various memory dumps and a minor stroke of luck, he found it. It's on the doom9 forums somewhere.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-05-02, 10:24 AM #30
I read the forum post back from Feb 11, when it was first discovered, and no it wasn't discovered in a plain text file. The guy essentially "watched the DVD from RAM" and through analyzing various memory dumps and a minor stroke of luck, he found it. It's on the doom9 forums somewhere.

Right. Keys have been out for individual movies before, but not the universal key like this new one.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2007-05-02, 4:38 PM #31
You punks, now I got a cease and desist from those jerks. Argh!!!!!!!!!
2007-05-02, 4:41 PM #32
Wait, what?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-05-02, 5:42 PM #33
That's why you have a disclaimer on the website saying you aren't responsible for the **** we post.
Wikissassi sucks.
2007-05-02, 5:44 PM #34
Also,

Quote:
What makes this particular string of hexadecimal characters so terrible is that it is the HD-DVD processing key for most movies released so far, published on the net by the AACS (Advanced Access Content System) a couple of days ago by mistake.

Why would anyone bother hacking it, when they just give it away?
Wikissassi sucks.
2007-05-02, 5:45 PM #35
Originally posted by Brian:

Hang it up!
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2007-05-02, 7:53 PM #36

You can't be held responsible for what we say, I'm pretty sure that's been held up in court.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2007-05-02, 8:02 PM #37

Did it say:

Originally posted by MPAA:
HEY STOP POSTING 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0 IT REALLY HURTS OUR FEELINGS
2007-05-02, 8:10 PM #38
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
;814148']Did it say:

<3 :neckbeard:
2007-05-02, 8:22 PM #39
I want to digg an article that talks about how digg users were gigantic pricks and dugg a story that was removed to cover digg's ***.

It's no secret that Digg founders are pirates. They even support piracy by making podcasts about pirating. They also support the entire userbase of digg and would like to keep that userbase by NOT BEING SHUT DOWN. Then again, the majority of digg users are goddamned retards.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-05-02, 8:29 PM #40
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
You can't be held responsible for what we say, I'm pretty sure that's been held up in court.

Actually, as the owner of this site with the ability to delete posts, he is responsible...

But I think it was a joke.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!

↑ Up to the top!