Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → President Bush's Impeachment
President Bush's Impeachment
2007-05-09, 7:40 PM #81
Originally posted by Roach:
Why not just nail Bush for using the U.S. military for a religious crusade that his god commanded him to go through with? I'm pretty sure it's unconstitutional for the government to endorse a deity.

I've never, ever heard him said we went into Iraq for religious reasons.
2007-05-09, 7:58 PM #82
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:

That means it's not true!
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-05-09, 8:13 PM #83
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:

That's because you don't care when he does.
omnia mea mecum porto
2007-05-09, 8:32 PM #84
That's because you don't care when he does.

Most, if not all, of these links refer to a BBC series where a Palestinian prime minster says that Bush told him that Bush was on a mission from God.

So, when has George said in a forum heard by more than a couple of Palestinians that he was on a mission from God? Honestly, those links demonstrate horrible journalism, where they credit Bush with a "God told me to invade Afghanistan" quote when it came from the mouth of someone else who mysteriously heard this in such a situation that no one else did.

A reliable source, to be sure. :downs:
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-05-09, 8:33 PM #85
The claims have been denied, according to Roach's search results.

Honestly, I'm inclined to call bull**** on the religious claims. Any sensible president would have struck against Al-Qaeda after 9/11. As for Iraq, I find it far more likely that he went there to avenge his dear ol' daddy after the assassination attempt.
2007-05-09, 8:44 PM #86
Inciting a war and getting over 3,000 of your nations solders killed for personal reasons isn't the kind of thing a president should do.
>>untie shoes
2007-05-09, 9:10 PM #87
I didn't say a president should.
2007-05-09, 9:19 PM #88
Originally posted by IRG SithLord:
Honestly, I'm inclined to call bull**** on the religious claims. Any sensible president would have struck against Al-Qaeda after 9/11. As for Iraq, I find it far more likely that he went there to avenge his dear ol' daddy after the assassination attempt.

dick cheney was bush sr's secdef. in fact, I doubt there's a single member of the current administration who doesn't have some emotional baggage about the first gulf war.
2007-05-09, 9:58 PM #89
Originally posted by Wolfy:
A reliable source, to be sure. :downs:

You're right. I could get quotes from Peter Schweizer, Don Evans, and a few White House aides that say that Bush believes he's on a religious crusade, but minutes aren't taken in meetings like that and it's not a public speech.
omnia mea mecum porto
2007-05-10, 3:20 AM #90
You're right. I could get quotes from Peter Schweizer, Don Evans, and a few White House aides that say that Bush believes he's on a religious crusade, but minutes aren't taken in meetings like that and it's not a public speech.

then why hasn't he invaded iran, pakistan, saudi arabia (their allegiance is so transparent with all the money they've been funneling into terrorist organizations), etc?
Current Maps | Newest Map
2007-05-10, 3:35 AM #91
That's a wonderful question, why are you asking me? I'm not Bush, or any of the brass at the Pentagon.
omnia mea mecum porto
2007-05-10, 3:46 AM #92
Originally posted by Blood Asp:
then why hasn't he invaded iran, pakistan, saudi arabia (their allegiance is so transparent with all the money they've been funneling into terrorist organizations), etc?

the iranian army is specifically trained to repel an american land invasion, pakistan has nukes, saudi arabia probably bought nukes from pakistan.

Iraq was an easy target. Yeah, that's right. An easy target. The only kind of crusade the US can afford to mount would be one bathed in cleansing nuclear fire.
2007-05-10, 4:08 AM #93
You forgot plague and famine as well, Jon`C, like the idea the Pentagon came up with for dealing with Afghanistan.
omnia mea mecum porto
2007-05-10, 7:15 AM #94

Do you actually have any source that supports this claim? Five pages into your Google search, it's still going on about the BBC report.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-05-10, 7:25 AM #95
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2003-04-01-bush-cover_x.htm is one I found for Don Evans.

You'd have to pick up Schweizer's book, The Bushes: Portrait of a Dynasty, for that one.

[Here, I got the quote from that book for you]

Quote:
George sees this as a religious war. He doesn't have a p.c. view of this war. His view of this is that they are trying to kill the Christians. And we as the Christians will strike back with more force and more ferocity than they will ever know. - Cousin of G.W.B. that wished to remain anonymous
omnia mea mecum porto
2007-05-10, 8:53 AM #96
I don't see any clear reference to Iraq in Don Evans's quote.

As for Schweizer, there is nothing convincing about that quote.

A family member of John Kerry, who wished to be anonymous, told me that he is a member of the KKK and is a complete douchebag in every aspect of life. :P

Note: I'm not in support of the whole Iraq conflict or anything. I just believe the religion claims are a bit bogus.
2007-05-10, 9:07 AM #97
You obviously don't know who Peter Schweizer is.

Why is it hard to believe that the president who started the "Faith Based Initiative" nonsense thinks he's doing his god's work?

Here, how about this?

Originally posted by Dubya:
I also have this belief, strong belief, that freedom is not this country's gift to the world; freedom is the Almighty's gift to every man and woman in this world. And as the greatest power on the face of the Earth, we have an obligation to help the spread of freedom.

Source.
omnia mea mecum porto
2007-05-10, 9:42 AM #98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubya
I also have this belief, strong belief, that freedom is not this country's gift to the world; freedom is the Almighty's gift to every man and woman in this world. And as the greatest power on the face of the Earth, we have an obligation to help the spread of freedom.

this shows that George is religious. yes. but the context seems that he is saying that freedom is the greatest force on the planet and we have an obligation to spread it. i think hes saying that "freedom is a god given right." and that is far from saying "god told me to invade"

anyways I've said before, there was plenty of reason to go into Iraq, between the weapons inspections BS and the blatant violations of the cease fire after the first gulf war, there was more than enough reason to take out Saddam. and thats aside from the intelligence about WMD's, the SAME intelligence incidentally that was considered to be true during the Clinton administration.

now weather actually going into Iraq was a good idea or not... thats a separate issue.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2007-05-10, 9:49 AM #99
Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
the SAME intelligence incidentally that was considered to be true during the Clinton administration.

incidentally, the SAME people who fought tooth and nail to keep Clinton out of a war with Iraq are the SAME people who orchestrated the invasion this time.
2007-05-10, 9:57 AM #100
Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
there was plenty of reason to go into Iraq

I've never said otherwise. The Admin gave a couple dozen reasons to go into Iraq.
omnia mea mecum porto
2007-05-10, 10:52 AM #101
Originally posted by Jon`C:
incidentally, the SAME people who fought tooth and nail to keep Clinton out of a war with Iraq are the SAME people who orchestrated the invasion this time.

true... :ninja: something smells like tuna...

I've never said otherwise. The Admin gave a couple dozen reasons to go into Iraq.

im just saying there were other reasons than the "WMD's" to oust Saddam, perfectly legit reasons. but again weather it was actually a good move to go in there... i still have some doubts.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2007-05-10, 10:55 AM #102
Like what?

BECAUSE WE CAN?

Because he's an *******?

Have you not seen that maybe these people will only listen to an ******* dictator? I mean, is nicey nice REALLY working that well for them?
2007-05-10, 10:57 AM #103
A family member of John Kerry, who wished to be anonymous, told me that he is a member of the KKK and is a complete douchebag in every aspect of life. :P

Whats that?

Someone thats maybe related to someone you might be able to consider important gave their opinion as fact?

WELL THEY CERTAINLY HAVE THE CREDENTIALS. IT MUST BE TRUE!
2007-05-10, 11:05 AM #104
You realize, Rob, he was mocking me for quoting something from Bush's cousin, right?
omnia mea mecum porto
2007-05-10, 11:13 AM #105
Yeah.

I was pointing out how juvenile saying things like that is.
2007-05-10, 11:28 AM #106
Well, at least Rob spared us the trouble of having to point out how juvenile he is.
2007-05-10, 2:21 PM #107
the iranian army is specifically trained to repel an american land invasion,

You really think that would stop us? Taking Iran would be easy, holding Iran would be hard.
It is well that war is so terrible - otherwise we would grow too fond of it. - Robert E. Lee
2007-05-10, 3:45 PM #108
Why bother? It would be much, much easier to just pound Iran from the air. If we've learned one thing from Iraq, it's that : Don't fight a guerrilla ground war when you've got overwhelming air supremacy.
Wikissassi sucks.
2007-05-10, 3:50 PM #109
Originally posted by Isuwen:
Why bother? It would be much, much easier to just pound Iran from the air. If we've learned one thing from Iraq, it's that : Don't fight a guerrilla ground war when you've got overwhelming air supremacy.

Is the tradeoff in innocent lives worth an "easy" conflict?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-05-10, 3:54 PM #110
Yes. Yes it is....
It is well that war is so terrible - otherwise we would grow too fond of it. - Robert E. Lee
2007-05-10, 4:21 PM #111
Originally posted by JediGandalf:

Edit: More civics lessons!

:eng101: Because the president is impeached that does NOT mean removal from office right then and there. Clinton wasn't ousted upon his impeachment. The Senate cannot even remove the president

I have never actually taken a quality civics class, but your quote from the Constitution suggests that the Senate can remove the President from office. The Senate is the jury that decides on whether or not a President is guilty during impeachment process. If they vote 2/3, it results in a conviction.
2007-05-10, 10:53 PM #112
Originally posted by Jedi Legend:
I have never actually taken a quality civics class, but your quote from the Constitution suggests that the Senate can remove the President from office. The Senate is the jury that decides on whether or not a President is guilty during impeachment process. If they vote 2/3, it results in a conviction.

I guess I can see that P.O.V. for someone who isn't well rounded in the Constitution (avg. American). So it would seem like the Senate has the capability to throw anyone out on 2/3 vote. But in reality, the Constitution is the authority on throwing out the president upon conviction.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-05-11, 8:48 AM #113
Everything Bush did is technically legal.

Having sex with your secretary technically also is legal.
2007-05-11, 8:53 AM #114
Originally posted by Verticae:
Having sex with your secretary technically also is legal.

Lying to a Grand Jury about it is technically illegal.
2007-05-11, 9:18 AM #115
Lying to a Grand Jury about it is technically illegal.

Which shouldn't have been asking the question in the first place.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-05-11, 1:23 PM #116
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
I guess I can see that P.O.V. for someone who isn't well rounded in the Constitution (avg. American). So it would seem like the Senate has the capability to throw anyone out on 2/3 vote. But in reality, the Constitution is the authority on throwing out the president upon conviction.

I'm not sure what you are arguing here. The House brings the case up and brings all articles. The Senate, with the power given to them by the Constitution, holds the trial. Supreme Court Justice presides if the President is being tried. If they have a 2/3rds majority, the President is removed from office. All of this in Article I, sections 2, 3, 4. So......what are you exactly trying to say here?
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2007-05-11, 2:05 PM #117
Originally posted by fishstickz:
Which shouldn't have been asking the question in the first place.

The questions asked were perfectly legal and not inappropriate in the slightest sense. Clinton gave a false testimony in a sexual harassment lawsuit and that is where he goofed.

↑ Up to the top!