Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → best JK series game
best JK series game
2007-05-16, 3:29 PM #1
This has probably been posted trillions of times, but here we go
But it was so artfully done...
2007-05-16, 3:41 PM #2
I refuse to vote as long as Jedi Academy is on the list.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-05-16, 3:59 PM #3
and Dark Forces isn't a Jedi Knight game :P
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2007-05-16, 4:34 PM #4
I cannot choose. Im torn between DF and DF2, just as I have been for the past 10 years.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2007-05-16, 4:49 PM #5
i chose MotS it gave me a challenge today since i was running through SP and now im stuck on the last level the vonskers keep killing me... they are a pain in the azz

but seriously the MP is quite fun for MotS with the added weapons and force :downs:
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2007-05-16, 5:10 PM #6
Dark Forces.

I loved that mortar launcher. Even if it was a stupidly difficult game.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2007-05-16, 5:13 PM #7
I don't see why everyone is against JO and JA. I really enjoyed both of those games.
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2007-05-16, 6:00 PM #8
JO > DF > JK > JA > MotS

IMO
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-05-16, 6:04 PM #9
JK stole my heart. But it's a close call with DF and MotS.

For some reason MotS feels more nostalgic than JK even.

Ask me again next week and I'll probably say MotS, haha.

JO was fun as well. I loved the Nar Shaddaa and Bespin levels even though they could have been better. I loved the idea for Nar Shaddaa Streets, but it was way too small. You basically walk in a circle, all the time in the same area. Shame on them for that. That level could have been sooooo much cooler and bigger. The atmosphere and looks of it were great though!

JA was kind of meh.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2007-05-16, 7:19 PM #10
JK>MOTS=DF>JO>JA

But

Tie Fighter > *
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2007-05-16, 7:30 PM #11
Originally posted by ORJ_JoS:
For some reason MotS feels more nostalgic than JK even.

Yeah, that's kind of weird. Probably because it had some really fantastic multiplayer levels.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-05-16, 7:43 PM #12
Originally posted by West Wind:
Tie Fighter > *

$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2007-05-16, 8:09 PM #13
I love Jk and DF about the same. I like JKO but it doesn't have the same feel as the earlier ones.

Though I'm usually bipolar about everything so my thoughts on these kinds of things change all the time.
My blawgh.
2007-05-16, 8:58 PM #14
my theory is illustrated in the following graph
Attachment: 16281/graph.png (11,035 bytes)
2007-05-16, 9:01 PM #15
The X-axis could also represent time relatively well, but your theory is cool.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-05-16, 11:50 PM #16
Even though I have played JK/MotS (especially amazing SP levels on the latter) probably more than any other game, and even though DF is not a JK game, I'm going to vote for DF, since it always had neater levels and story in general. Yet it also seems to be the trickiest since I don't even remember how to finish the 4th level! Dangit.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-05-16, 11:52 PM #17
Dark. Forces.
2007-05-17, 12:02 AM #18
Jedi. Knight.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2007-05-17, 12:12 AM #19
D.ark. F.or.ce.s
2007-05-17, 1:12 AM #20
I've never played DF. Should I? (Or I could just wait on that mod.)

I voted JK mostly because it most accurately portrayed the pros and cons of using the force without thinking. Playing multiplayer and using force speed to evade certain death and and killing yourself on a wall is kind of humbling.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2007-05-17, 1:15 AM #21
Play DF it's fun :D
2007-05-17, 1:20 AM #22
last week I went through a pain trying to get it to work. I finally managed to get sound and music, but it took a while.

If you buy it from Lucsarts now-a-days will it work with current versions of windows?
My blawgh.
2007-05-17, 2:40 AM #23
I just got it working under DOSbox, but I'm assuming I'm having sound issues, unless there isn't supposed to be talking in cutscenes? I had to config it to use my default midi player, but I think I'll play with the config utility a bit before I start smashing things.

Edit: Well, the General Midi gives me the most epic sounding music, and Soundblaster and Gravis ProSound both work fine for my digital sound (Mine's SigmaTel) so I think I can play now. Now I just wish I had the USB half of my wireless mouse... Or I could play it like I play DOOM... Let's give that a shot.

Additional edit: Hahaha, stormtroopers suck.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2007-05-17, 4:53 AM #24
JK works under XP, never had a copy of DF for myself to try, always played it elsewhere
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2007-05-17, 7:04 AM #25
Originally posted by Jon`C:
my theory is illustrated in the following graph

Haha, awesome.

You have some kind of point there.
2007-05-17, 7:34 AM #26
Though DF was a big part of my childhood and a great game, I went with JK because it was a huge part of my early teens, and basically all my formative years were spent in the JK community. It's pretty sad, but it's hard to even remember a time when I wasn't a Zone/Massassi member.

By the way, JK's 10th anniversary is October 9th of this year. We should get a game going or something.
2007-05-17, 8:11 AM #27
I voted JK, but I consider MotS to be a direct extension of the greatness. I love both for the atmosphere and nostalgia even to this day. Never played DF. I won't bother going on a rant of complaints about JO/JA but there are plenty.
2007-05-17, 8:13 AM #28
I'd still play JK/MotS (and all those awesome fanmade SP levels) but I get these annoying crashing bugs so blah :|
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-05-17, 8:28 AM #29
DF. Pure awesome. I just wish I didn't find it entirely unplayable nowadays.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2007-05-17, 9:08 AM #30
I still play DF. Some of its addon levels are incredible (Mt Kurek anyone?)
2007-05-17, 9:30 AM #31
Jedi Knight was great, MotS was okay, but the level design was really bland. Jedi Outcast was a good game, but a pretty 'meh' sequel, and I loved Jedi Academy. Dark Forces frustrates me.
Think while it's still legal.
2007-05-17, 9:43 AM #32
JonC I like your graph, did you play republic commando? Did the lack of force make the game better?
2007-05-17, 9:53 AM #33
RC wasn't a Df game.

>.>

Yay for captain obvious. :P
nope.
2007-05-17, 10:22 AM #34
Personally, I thought Republic Commando was pure awesome, but it's a totally different type of game. And I voted JK, just for the multiplayer memories. I even had a clan, heh.
幻術
2007-05-17, 10:59 AM #35
ok, who voted for Jedi Outcast? OWN UP! :argh: :argh:

i just uninstalled it, i didnt even bother defeating Desann.

WHat a pile of poo

JK>MOTS>JA>JO
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2007-05-17, 11:07 AM #36
Originally posted by Brian:
JonC I like your graph, did you play republic commando? Did the lack of force make the game better?

The fact that the game was easy to play is what made it awesome. :)
2007-05-17, 11:14 AM #37
Originally posted by Ruthven:
ok, who voted for Jedi Outcast? OWN UP! :argh: :argh:

Me.

Considering I've not played JK, it made sense.
nope.
2007-05-17, 11:21 AM #38
You aren't missing much.
2007-05-17, 1:14 PM #39
After all of these years, JK was my favourite of the games, as the levels are still the most challenging and tough even now. What I really liked was the fact that the weapons are uber-accurate and there was more on the use of taking on the stormtroopers on some levels and fighting Dark Jedi. All of the JK Dark Jedi were good opponents. It still is the best Single Player shooter I've ever played. The Crossbow (or Wookie Bowcaster in JO) was the best weapon (its one terrible shame that its shockingly bad in JO or JA).

Despite of all the good and wonderful lightsaber stuff of JO or JA, it still was never as good as the engrossing fun of JK and dealing with those fist-wealding Grans on the first level and that loss of health as a result, or the dramatic battle with Jerec on 21. Perhaps its more fitting that I liked this game purley for the fact its not actully my copy (its my dad's game, but I was allowed to keep it because he's fed up with trying to complete it again and again - and its a shame cause he's good at those games).

Had many good years of fun with JK :).
2007-05-17, 6:02 PM #40
Originally posted by Brian:

Yeah, in that graph 'Quality' should be 'Gameplay', and 'Lightsaber / Force Use' should be replaced by 'Graphical Improvement'.

↑ Up to the top!