Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → best JK series game
best JK series game
2007-05-17, 7:49 PM #41
I stand by my graph.

I'm not really suggesting that they got worse and worse the more they relied upon swords and magical spells. Swords and magical spells are fun. The problem is that the games progressively sell themselves more as a Star Wars spinoff than a great game - which is, in my opinion, the same reason Starfighter was a much weaker game than X-Wing or TIE Fighter, and why Republic Commando wasn't as good as Dark Forces, and why Pod Racer had no classic counterpart.

Also, as the Star Wars elements in the Dark Forces series grew stronger, the FPS elements got weaker. Dark Forces was a first person shooter that was - even compared to Quake - quite revolutionary. Jedi Knight was behind the curve in graphics but ahead of Quake 2 in every other area. The sequels (and other Star Wars games) start falling behind the curve right after that. Jedi Outcast never really did anything that wasn't done in, ...say... Rune, and I don't think the Star Wars themed pile of garbage deserves to be any more well-liked than the norse-themed one.

Ultimately LucasArts is pissing away its IP. It used to be that, if a game were made by LucasArts, its quality was a safe bet. Nowadays all they make is shovelware. So v:)v
2007-05-17, 8:08 PM #42
Originally posted by Jon`C:
It used to be that, if a game were made by LucasArts, its quality was a safe bet. Nowadays all they make is shovelware.

I definitely agree that they're not setting the standard like they used to.

Monkey Island I & II

Zak McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders

Maniac Mansion

Dark Forces
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2007-05-17, 8:23 PM #43
Grim Fandango!
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-05-17, 8:45 PM #44
i just beat JO 20 minutes ago
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2007-05-17, 9:31 PM #45
The Dig

Loom

Full Throttle
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2007-05-17, 9:58 PM #46
well put Jon ' C. However, I don't think that Lucasarts' declining quality of game production can be entirely blamed on the further implementation of Star Wars material. In addition to this, Lucasarts has fallen into the trap most companies have, the over emphasis on graphics, at the expense of gameplay. Frankly, who cares about graphics, further improvements just force us to spend more money upgrading our computers. Discussion aside, it can be said without a doubt that Lucasarts keeps producing progressively worse games.
But it was so artfully done...
2007-05-17, 10:59 PM #47
This and this give me some hope for a good game.

I really hope so at least.
My blawgh.
2007-05-18, 3:52 AM #48
Originally posted by Legolas_Solo:
In addition to this, Lucasarts has fallen into the trap most companies have, the over emphasis on graphics, at the expense of gameplay.

Lucasarts games started sucking waaaaaaaay before they licensed Unreal Engine.
2007-05-18, 4:21 AM #49
Originally posted by Phantom-Seraph:
This and this give me some hope for a good game.

LucasArts has also licensed Endorphin for some awesome physics. I'm betting that's what makes the "no two fights are the same" aspect of the new Indy game possible.

Sucks that it'll probably be console only, though. A mouse and keyboard are the best control system for a lightsaber and force. Besides a Wiimote, perhaps. But it's not going to be on the Wii. :argh:
2007-05-18, 4:23 AM #50
Also, this is seriously :eek: and :awesome:
2007-05-18, 4:46 AM #51
Originally posted by West Wind:
Loom

OH YES

Originally posted by Emon:
Also, this is seriously :eek: and :awesome:

Hell yeah, but they'll have to:

1. Make up a good story line this time

2. Make it for PC :gbk:
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2007-05-18, 11:22 AM #52
Originally posted by ORJ_JoS:
1. Make up a good story line this time
You play as Darth Vader's apprentice :wtc:

Quote:
2. Make it for PC :gbk:
Confirmed Xbox 360, PS3 and PC by someone who is working on Force Unleashed. Confirmed not-Wii.
2007-05-18, 11:23 AM #53

Secret made up no one knows about apprentice.
2007-05-18, 11:34 AM #54
Originally posted by Rob:
Secret made up no one knows about apprentice.

Made up by George Lucas which means that the action figure will be sold in stores before the game is.
2007-05-18, 11:45 AM #55

How is that a bad thing?

Quote:
Confirmed Xbox 360, PS3 and PC by someone who is working on Force Unleashed. Confirmed not-Wii.
I see what you did there. :ninja:
2007-05-18, 11:50 AM #56
but if you're vaders apprentice, how are you supposed to kill all the stormies? wouldn't he get mad?
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2007-05-18, 11:53 AM #57
Yeah, that kind of bothered me too. Stupid secretly rebelterrorist games. :grr:
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-05-18, 12:01 PM #58
Originally posted by Ford:
but if you're vaders apprentice, how are you supposed to kill all the stormies? wouldn't he get mad?

You don't. You play as a Dark Jedi which means you don't get to kill stormies. The game is set between RotS and ANH, after the Clone Wars ended, after all of the Jedi died, but before the Rebel insurgency.

All of this was decided by George Lucas.

So basically this is either going to be a gripping Deus Ex-like Jedi hunting game or it's going to have the most insipid, boring storyline possible. Even more boring than Jedi Academy. And considering the fact that LucasArts is run by... you know... someone as retarded as George Lucas I'm pretty sure it's not going to be a Deus Ex killer.
2007-05-18, 12:55 PM #59
It depends on how much of the story details were thought up by Lucas. Hopefully not that many. Lucas is pretty good at the big picture (especially before he got old and fat), but someone else should be handling the intricacies of the story.
2007-05-18, 1:22 PM #60
Personally, I played the JK series BECAUSE it meant I got to play with lightsabers. Otherwise, it'd have just been another FPS to me. Also, as far as story goes, I play it because, yes, I want to be immersed in the SW universe. Of course, I agree that as a whole, Lucasarts went down in overall quality in their games, but in this case, I'm not really with the main crowd on this one.

As for unmodded whatever, I personally liked JA the most. It did the best job handling saber fights, you got to ride on speeder bikes, most of the missions were fun, and the story elements worked fine for me. In the multiplayer, I also found their addition of the x-wing/TIE fighter fights to be cool as well. Had I been able to play this game back when I played JK, and had there been such a strong community modding for this as games like JK had, I have no doubt this would be my favorite of the series.

JK, however, ties, if not beats JA for me, soley because of its modding community. The main game itself I could only get so interested in -- it was the superior custom levels and mods people made for it that REALLY made me enjoy this game so much. The sort of modding for this I only ever saw matched with Half-Life 1... maybe the modding scene is still as glorious as it was before, but it sure doesn't feel like it.

MotS I sort of lump with JK. It's one of those things you wish had just been part of JK from the beginning, but that's the nature of expansion packs.

I never played DF. It seems like a Doom clone with Star Wars textures to me, and I'm not just saying that because of the engine.

And last, JO. I don't understand what people liked about this game. Who could take Desann seriously? I was not drawn into its environments or story premise or controls.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net

↑ Up to the top!