Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Pirates 3!
Pirates 3!
2007-05-24, 1:01 AM #1
hey, just got back from watching it. It was pretty darn good. it seemed that Disney took it up another notch with the violence/gore.. which is always good in my book :) There were also parts where I was like WTF IS GOING ON?! but in a good way. Overall I would say that it is up to par with the two previous films.. which is a difficult thing for a movie franchise to do, and still stay fresh.
||||||||||||||||||||
2007-05-24, 1:11 AM #2
Yeah, I just got back from a viewing too.
I'm not quite sure how I feel about it yet. Some neat stuff in there for sure, but it was a little odd in places.
"You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth!! No truth-handler you!! Bah!! I deride your truth-handling ability!!"
2007-05-24, 1:13 AM #3
I was going to see it tonight when we checked the print but my girlfriend threatened to kill me if I saw it without her.
>>untie shoes
2007-05-24, 5:01 AM #4
Seeing it tonight. Just wish I'd rented the 2nd one. I haven't seen it since the theater, so I might not remember everything.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2007-05-24, 5:05 AM #5
http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?t=37654&page=4#post820542

>.>

I'll see it sometime over the weekend. Looks good though.
nope.
2007-05-24, 5:05 AM #6
Originally posted by Spiral:
Overall I would say that it is up to par with the two previous films..

That's only half a good thing.

Going to go see it next week.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-05-24, 5:06 AM #7
Might see it this weekend, I dunno yet. I guess it'll depend on if I can fit it in. Maybe a lonely afternoon viewing for peace and quiet would be nice. Then I don't have to kill the retarded teenagers talking through the movie and munching on their ****ing pop corn like cows.

:suicide:
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2007-05-24, 8:10 AM #8
I'm seeing it on Saturday.
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2007-05-24, 8:11 AM #9
Er.

It comes out tomorrow right? Why does my theater show this:

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (PG-13, 168 min.)
8:00pm | 9:00pm | 10:00pm
2007-05-24, 8:17 AM #10
My girlfriend is an omghuge Pirates/Johnny Depp fan, so chances are I'm seeing it tonight or tomorrow.
2007-05-24, 8:18 AM #11
Haha, Aglar's girlfriend is omghuge.
2007-05-24, 9:11 AM #12
Vinny, the showings start at 8pm on Thursday, instead of the usual 12:00am Friday shows.
2007-05-24, 9:19 AM #13
For real? Why.
2007-05-24, 9:21 AM #14
To increase their "Opening day/weekend sales" numbers I imagine.
2007-05-24, 9:30 AM #15
Just got a call from my girlfriend, we're seeing it tonight at 8:00.
2007-05-24, 10:58 AM #16
This thread needs more pessimism.

The local radio show here said it blew chunks. One was middle of the road on it, one didn't like it, and the third actively hated it. The third believed it was a movie with a bunch of crap they did just because they could do it. Like shooting a monkey out of a cannon. The middle of the road guy got sick of critics(since he was at a special critics showing) grunting and saying crap like "that could never happen". Well, neither could zombie pirates, so you have to accept the other things. Basically, it came down to those who enjoy pirate movies will like this, but probably not beyond that.

If you want to hear it, go to http://x96.com/12605time/djs/podcastdownload.asp It's the May 22nd show. Just right click and save as, but you probably already know that.

It starts at 33:50 and ends at 44:25. I listen to this show often, and it's pretty entertaining.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2007-05-24, 11:28 AM #17
hmm.. I never thought of it like that.. it doesn't really matter a lot though, because it still ahs the charm of the first two, with extremely cool looking actions scenes. This one is more fantastical than the 2nd movie (it seems they get more "legendary" as they go.. but as you had said, skeleton pirates is just as realistic as sea gods, and squid faces.) Over all it was very enjoyable, much more so than Spider-Man 3.. and the Transformers Trailer looked EXCELLENT!!!! AHHH
||||||||||||||||||||
2007-05-24, 8:37 PM #18
I saw it tonight. I thought the ending sucked.

Is there supposed to be a 4th movie?

Agh, I just found out there was something after the credits...and I left...anyone care to enlighten me via PM??
woot!
2007-05-24, 9:53 PM #19
I'll tell the post-credits thing here

A little boy is singing "A Pirate's Life" while arriving to a shore. Elizabeth joins him. The sun is setting, and you see a flash of green light. Will appears at the head of the Flying Dutchman.
2007-05-25, 12:42 AM #20
Just got back from the 12am showing (all showings, including that one, were sold out). That was the best movie I've seen in a long time. I am mentally exhausted after the whole maelstrom sequence. So much amazingly awesome action crammed into an ending is a lot to take in. ****ing fantastic. I might go again tomorrow.

Oh, and how many people, after the line "this is madness," wanted to yell "this is SPARTA"?
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
2007-05-25, 1:08 AM #21
I'm going to see it Saturday. I want to know... do they explain why the Black Pearl is the fastest ship on the ocean? They talked about it in the script, but I want to know if that's in the final film. It was just a really neat part of the script.
>>untie shoes
2007-05-25, 2:36 AM #22
Originally posted by Antony:
I'm going to see it Saturday. I want to know... do they explain why the Black Pearl is the fastest ship on the ocean? They talked about it in the script, but I want to know if that's in the final film. It was just a really neat part of the script.

They do mention that it's the only ship that can out run davey jones' ship, but they don't explain why it's the only one, I assume some kind of specialness about it since davy jones made a bargain with Cpt. Jack.

Originally posted by Chaz Ghostle:
J
Oh, and how many people, after the line "this is madness," wanted to yell "this is SPARTA"?

hehe, I totally did.

Overall, I thought it was pretty cool way to tie up the last movie, in the end they all got to be pirates and captains... and it worked out for everyone. The only problem that I had was that the first one while it did have zombie pirates it still had a certain level of believability that made it seem like it could be real, the second and third films broke that completely and made it all seem like just a fantasy pirate adventure, which is good I guess, but it just felt... different.
The Gas Station
2007-05-25, 2:51 AM #23
Just got back. I'm still thinking about it. It's a lot to take in.

I'm pretty sure I thought it was pretty freaking awesome.
My blawgh.
2007-05-25, 6:23 AM #24
So... many... betrayals. Kudos to the writers for actually bringing all the plotlines made in DMC full circle. Oh yeah, and I'm pretty sure the Maelstrom sequence was probably one of my finest cinematic experiences in a while.

Too bad Spider-Man 3 wasn't as good.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2007-05-25, 9:17 AM #25
That may have been the most wonderfully, ridiculously glorious and beautiful piece of cinema I've ever seen. The only (minor!) complaint I had was the fact that it ended about six different times.

I loved pretty much the whole thing. It was great how they made it really clear that Jack's crazy instead of just hinting at it like in the first two movies. I'll never look at peanuts the same way ever again. :P

Also, the monkey complaint is not valid! Remember, he's an UNDEAD monkey-- shooting him out of a cannon certainly won't kill him!

All in all it was great. Certainly not everyone agrees with me, including two good friends of mine and my little brother, but as far as I'm concerned it was 2.5 hours of pure movie awesomeness.

It was pretty ridiculous.
"It is not advisable, James, to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener."
"Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it."
2007-05-25, 10:39 AM #26
The movie was awesome. It was really long though, and I was expecting it to end quite a few times before it actually did. However, had it not been so late, I think I would have enjoyed it a little more. I really do think it was excellent, but you have to be prepared to sit through a movie that long.

Aside from the length, I loved it. I agree with the statement about the first one being more believable than the two to follow, however, I think they planned on making it more and more 'legend' type as it progressed.

Indeed the maelstrom was probably one of the coolest ending battles of all time, and it had me sitting on the edge of my seat the entire time. Also, who else felt a happiness when you got to see Keira Knightley's sexy legs at the end. (Although I tried to not look too pleased because I was with my girlfriend).

However, I really felt that having William and Elizabeth become separated for 10 years was kind of stupid. I understand that it was the way the debt had to be paid, but I figured they would come up with something else so that you could rest easy. It almost makes me feel like they'd make another Pirates, but at the same time it seems pointless because William and Elizabeth wouldn't get to see each other for 10 years anyways.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2007-05-25, 11:23 AM #27
I enjoyed one and two a lot, I think I need to see this one again to really appreciate it. I think they introduced about 150 too many characters and subplots that you don't really care about in the first half, and then the second half of the movie was good old fashioned Pirates, much like the first film. Also, I think the giant Calypso was one of the cheesiest things I've ever seen in a movie. Overall it was okay. Davy Jones being a total badass made the second movie really good, and the way that they kind of kept him on the shelf in the third movie until the last half hour made me kind of angry. (Also, 9 pieces of 8. WTF?)
Think while it's still legal.
2007-05-25, 11:25 AM #28
Originally posted by Victor Van Dort:
Also, I think the giant Calypso was one of the cheesiest things I've ever seen in a movie.
(Also, 9 pieces of 8. WTF?)

I do agree with you on those two statements, though.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2007-05-25, 11:45 AM #29
SAJN cares about introducing pointless characters yet he loved Children of Men. It boggles the mind.
>>untie shoes
2007-05-25, 12:07 PM #30
Originally posted by Antony:
SAJN cares about introducing pointless characters yet he loved Children of Men. It boggles the mind.

You still being an *** to him for no reason boggles mine.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-05-25, 12:18 PM #31
Originally posted by Glyde Bane:

I just see it as a classic spat between filmmaker and film critic, only dumbed down for the Internet.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2007-05-25, 12:25 PM #32
Originally posted by Glyde Bane:

Nearly everything you post boggles my mind. So what?
>>untie shoes
2007-05-25, 12:33 PM #33
I'm rather anxious to see this one, simply because, after reading most comments about it, here and elsewhere, it seems that all the crap that left a bitter taste in my mouth from the second film is kept to a minimum, and the stuff I liked from the first makes a return.

What makes me cringe is how some qualify it as ridiculous. I thought the idiocy in the second film was going too far "I've got a bottle of duuuuusssstttt" but I shall see.

I'm going in expecting the worste so, I don't doubt I'll at least but pleasantly relieved.
2007-05-25, 12:34 PM #34
I'm going to see it tonight around ten tonight with some cousins who are coming into town. Unfortunately, my girlfriend will not be able to come along because it's too late at night :( .
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2007-05-25, 12:38 PM #35

"pieces of eight" are an actual historic thing. There just happened to be nine of them in this story (even though the actual "pieces of eight" weren't real pieces of eight at all, but that was at least explained in the movie).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_dollar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pieces_of_Eight_%28piracy%29
http://blindkat.hegewisch.net/pirates/money.html
2007-05-25, 12:41 PM #36

Spanish Dollar Tis be the pirate currency, harrrr.
2007-05-25, 12:42 PM #37
Pieces of 8 are coins from that era.

EDIT:

Wow, thanks jep. Always beating me to everything :(
My blawgh.
2007-05-25, 12:49 PM #38
Originally posted by Phantom-Seraph:
Pieces of 8 are coins from that era.

EDIT:

Wow, thanks jep. Always beating me to everything :(

KAWAAAAABUNGAAAAAA DUDE.
2007-05-25, 1:48 PM #39
I just took it as a cryptic pirate thing and didn't worry too much about it. It's just a name.
2007-05-25, 1:54 PM #40
If anything doesn't make sense, just remember that it's a movie with undead living zombie barnacle pirates.
nope.

↑ Up to the top!