Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Tablet PC
Tablet PC
2007-05-24, 1:47 PM #1
Because my family is moving to the University of Louisville, I'm going to end up going to the University of Louisville this fall. Unfortunately they require a tablet PC, which sucks for three reasons. One, I just bought a laptop that I really like, two, I hate tablet PC's, and the crappy hardware found inside them, and three, the reason they require a tablet PC is that they've got this huge software system to use it with. I can't help think that I'm going to end up wasting a bunch of money on a crappy laptop that's going to run an incredibly clunky, gimmicky software that "sounded nifty at the time."

Jerks. So anyone know of any good tablet PCs?
2007-05-24, 1:49 PM #2
If you're going to college in Louisville, Kentucky I'd look at http://www.upsjobs.com and see if they have openings in louisville.

They actually have a 100% tuition program dealie there.

Either way...

Why don't you go to college where you want and stop being a momma's boy?
2007-05-24, 2:09 PM #3
Because I don't have 50 grand laying around. Otherwise, yeah, I would.
2007-05-24, 2:16 PM #4
So your parents are only paying for your education if you go where they want you to go?

You have horrible parents.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-05-24, 2:19 PM #5
No, they'd have like 10,000 to 16,000$. If I go here, which is really cheap, and live at home that'll pay for two years, and then I can skate by on scholarships and internships for the next three to four years. Sure I could go to any university i wanted, but I'd get out of collage with 60K$ in debt. We aren't rich.
2007-05-24, 2:49 PM #6
Oh okay, so I'm just an ******* then.
2007-05-24, 3:31 PM #7
What kind of crazy-*** school requires you to have a special computer?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2007-05-24, 3:33 PM #8
Fitchburg State...Everyone needs to have a laptop. Since I'm a Communications Major I need a Macbook Pro, so I'm not complaining. The only problem is Final Cut Pro costs about as much as the laptop itself.
Think while it's still legal.
2007-05-24, 4:02 PM #9
I thought you were in film. Communications? Haha.
2007-05-24, 5:00 PM #10
Try one of these on for size. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

Funny to see you moving to Louisville. I generally see people moving away from here... ;)
Let me know if you need any tips on the city, Ive lived here for quite some time.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2007-05-24, 8:10 PM #11
Yes, Lenovo's got some nice Tablets. I've heard good things about Toshiba ones as well, but you really can't go wrong with the Thinkpad line.
2007-05-24, 8:15 PM #12
Originally posted by Tracer:

I'm going to complain... and wear a T-Shirt from a competing university the whole time I'm there.
2007-05-24, 8:58 PM #13
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
I'm going to complain... and wear a T-Shirt from a competing university the whole time I'm there.

Don't do that, you'll get the **** beaten out of you.

Oh wait...
2007-05-24, 9:19 PM #14
I have an HP Compaq TC1100 sommat or another that runs Wacom screen type thingies. It has a pretty nifty screen and I got it really cheaply on ebay... I keep on seeing others on ebay as well so you might want to check there...
Um... the only problems I have with it is that it wobbles if i try to put up the screen to use it like a laptop for quick typing and such.
-NM

("sommat", "thingies", and "nifty" ARE technical terms, tyvm...)
2007-05-24, 9:46 PM #15
Because I don't have 50 grand laying around. Otherwise, yeah, I would.

Loans, scholarships, grants.

Look them up. Mamma's boy.
2007-05-24, 9:47 PM #16
Originally posted by Victor Van Dort:
I'm a Communications Major

I lol'd pretty hard.
2007-05-24, 10:35 PM #17
Originally posted by Rob:

With loans, he'll still owe money and with interest, it will go up.
Scholarship, yes possible.
Grants, depends on your parent's paycheck.

Sigh, school is getting more expensive by the year.
Back again
2007-05-24, 10:44 PM #18
Originally posted by Warlockmish:
With loans, he'll still owe money and with interest, it will go up.

Woh, ****.

I didn't know this at all. I don't think anyone does. We have to get this information out.

HEY GUYS, YOU HAVE TO PAY LOANS BACK!

Seriously. Thanks for stating the totally ****ing obvious.
2007-05-24, 11:25 PM #19
Well, you were telling him to look something up when Obi_Kwiet already mentioned he didn't want to be in debt.
Back again
2007-05-25, 12:26 AM #20
Debt is a natural part of life. Keeping it under control is the key (obviously).

How else are you going to buy a house or a car later in life.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-05-25, 12:29 AM #21
This guy I work with saves money to buy **** with cash.

I explained why this is retarded, and why $60,000 in the bank could quite easily be used to make you more money or else it'll become worthless but he's retarded and didn't want to hear it.

He's also 36 and still lives with his mommy. Who by the way still cooks his dinner, washes his clothes, and even "pwuts cwold bweer in thwa wefwidgerator" for him.
2007-05-25, 12:31 AM #22
Originally posted by Tracer:

I'm going into architecture and I am required to get a certain type of laptop. This is ideal for the school to avoid students whining "I can't this CAD program open! Waa" or other stupid crap. Schools expect the programs and the students work together without any problems, and this avoids any possible complications due to all different types of computers and hardware.
2007-05-25, 12:33 AM #23
It's also a good way for a school to get money for endorsing a product.. :P
2007-05-25, 12:39 AM #24
Damn straight. And usually these sort of plans comes with an awesome warranty (or atleast they should). So students can't make up excuses for missing a week worth of work because their laptop was thrown down the stairs, covered with beer and other stupid stuff.
2007-05-25, 2:49 AM #25
Toshiba's have really nice tablets. Can't go wrong with them, I had one for a few weeks, then it got stolen.

Yeah. That sucked. :(
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-05-25, 6:55 AM #26
:(
2007-05-25, 8:44 AM #27
Quote:
I thought you were in film. Communications? Haha.

Film and Video are considered communications... Haha....or something.
Think while it's still legal.
2007-05-25, 11:32 AM #28

I did. It's a) cheaper this way, and b) I don't get out of collage with debt.

I'm hoping to get some good scholarships after my sophomore year, but either way, it's just not worth 60,000$ to me to stay in a dorm.
2007-05-25, 12:25 PM #29
I did. It's a) cheaper this way, and b) I don't get out of collage with debt.

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

(PS, the debt from a student loan is a massive advantage once paid off because of the credit it will give you. When you buy your first house and can't get a decent rate you'll know what I'm talking about.)
2007-05-25, 1:53 PM #30
WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

(PS, the debt from a student loan is a massive advantage once paid off because of the credit it will give you. When you buy your first house and can't get a decent rate you'll know what I'm talking about.)

Or you can do the one of many, many other ways of building credit and still avoid being in debt.
2007-05-25, 2:07 PM #31
Your Maddox impersonation is failing horribly.
2007-05-25, 2:10 PM #32
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Or you can do the one of many, many other ways of building credit and still avoid being in debt.

You have to BE IN DEBT to GENERATE CREDIT on your CREDIT REPORT.

If I recall, you need a debt for atleast 6 months for it to show on your credit report. Financing is the easiest way to build SOLID, RELIABLE CREDIT.

EX, financing a car, an education, etc. If your CREDIT IS BETTER, you'll have access to larger sums of money at lower interest rates. This is hella important later on in life.
2007-05-25, 2:25 PM #33
You have to BE IN DEBT to GENERATE CREDIT on your CREDIT REPORT.

If I recall, you need a debt for atleast 6 months for it to show on your credit report. Financing is the easiest way to build SOLID, RELIABLE CREDIT.

EX, financing a car, an education, etc. If your CREDIT IS BETTER, you'll have access to larger sums of money at lower interest rates. This is hella important later on in life.

Strange, because I have damn good credit and I have never been in debt for longer than a month (the time it takes the next credit card bill to come in).

So yeah, you fail.
2007-05-25, 2:35 PM #34
Good Credit != Awesome credit
2007-05-25, 6:22 PM #35
I never thought of that, Echoman and Sajn.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2007-05-25, 6:41 PM #36
Good Credit != Awesome credit

Damn good credit != Good credit

:downswords:
2007-05-25, 7:07 PM #37
I live about 20 minutes from U of L. It's not the best school in the state, but it's a good one, depending on what program you're in. I have quite a few friends that have graduated from there. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the area but if you need any advice on most things Louisville, feel free to PM me. If you're in to gaming, you'll be interested to know that Lanwar (300-500 gamers) takes place on campus, and Million Man LAN (2000-2500 gamers) takes place a few miles away. And you might as well get acquainted with Louisville Mojo.

Oh, and as Rob stated, UPS would be a good place to work part-time because they'll pay all of your tuition. However, unless you get in to administration, notebook repair (Toshiba), or logistics, you'll most likely have to work 3rd shift. I worked at UPS for 2 years and enjoyed it very much.
2007-05-25, 9:16 PM #38
I go to WKU and I know some folk at UofL. My roommate's girlfriend goes there.
Quote:
and wear a T-Shirt from a competing university the whole time I'm there.

You should wear Western stuff. And get a bumper sticker that says "Go Big Red!"

That'd be hIlarious.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2007-05-25, 9:28 PM #39
Louisville, worldport, is a part time air operation. You'd work the twilight shift, about 4-5 hours a night. Guranteed three.

From anywhere between 6pm-4am.

It's an air operation, so seniority isn't going to get you a desired time slot. Your seniority doesn't really mean anything in air operations, it's a HUGE grey area in the contract.

Quote:
Damn good credit != Good credit

10% of your credit score is allocated based on the type of debt, without leaving the consumer much of an idea as to what garners the higest percentage. (But you can generally assume credit cards aren't as impressive as you think they are)

Note that financing something is alot different than getting a good APR on a credit card, or paying a credit card on time every month.

Furthermore 30% of your credit score is based on the ratio of your current level of debt and your current level of available credit.

The best credit scores are attained by use of installment credit (auto loans, student loans, mortgages) in addition to revolving credit (credit cards).

Credit cards != loans.

Loans can still help you establish a much higher credit score, and more importantly LOANS LOOK BETTER ON YOUR CREDIT HISTORY. WHICH IS IMPORTANT IF YOU'RE EVER, YOU KNOW, GOING TO FINANCE SOMETHING REALLY ****ING EXPENSIVE OR REFINANCE SOMETHING REALLY ****ING EXPENSIVE.
2007-05-25, 10:02 PM #40
Yeah, but just getting out of collage, don't you think it's best not to buy something really, really expensive. I mean, assuming that you can quickly pay off the loans, you're basically buying credit with the interest money. If I have a job that pays 50-60K a year, I don't think I'll have any trouble buying a house under 100K. Any more than that wouldn't really be wise, or even necessary. Honestly, do you think people who got through with full rides and are in well paying jobs get turned down for loans because they had no debt?

Also, thanks for all the advise and help guys!

↑ Up to the top!