Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Children of Men
Children of Men
2007-06-11, 10:49 PM #1
Yeah yeah, I know. SAJN already made his "OMG BEST MOVIE TODAY IS:" thread, and the movie's been out forever, and whatever.

I hate EVERYONE who convinced me to not see the movie because of the ending.

This is probably one of the greatest films I've ever seen. From an editor's perspective, a writer's perspective, a critical *******'s perspective, and a moviegoer's perspective. Hands down my utterly favorite movie I've ever seen.

Now that I've got that out, I want to not argue this movie's merits. Instead we're going to talk about the sickening level of symbolism, religious allusions, and themes.

1. Animals
Why is it that animals and nature are so significant in this movie? I believe that if you include animal sounds, there's an animal in 90% of the movie. I'd like to argue that they embody symbols of sacred earth/nature, but they're present in the art institute, as well as the fishes place?

2. Religion
I keep trying to decide which religious characters fit which people. Kee (Key to...?) is most certainly mother Mary, but the rest of the cast could fit many religious symbols.

3. Guns
Theo hurts the third person guy (The devil my haps?), but no one else. He never touches a firearm (And believe me, I was waiting) and he acts absolutely selflessly. He's not fearless, he's just without care for himself. It is interesting that his dead lover wanted peace and safety, and thought the child would achieve that, and Theo is genuinely peaceful. It is illustrated that the child causes peace by the soldier's reactions.

Any ideas? Opinions? Motifs, themes, metaphors? I wonder about the caretaker, the lady with the dog, and the german couple they stay with.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-11, 11:01 PM #2
The animals thing might be a reference to Blade Runner/DADES. I dunno, I haven't seen the movie myself.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2007-06-11, 11:08 PM #3
I didn't really like the movie. The only good part was when they brought out the baby and the soldiers just let them walk on by.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-06-11, 11:11 PM #4
Who is "the third person guy"? Is he the one on the dirtbike that he slams the car door into and totally pwns? Cuz if it is, that's the only one he hurt I guess.

Oh wait, he also beats the living crap out of Sid. That was friggin awesome.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2007-06-11, 11:24 PM #5
Go away freelancer. Not an opinion thread. Don't anyone disagree with him and start a debate, either.

Yes, Syd. I don't consider the other guy fair to be called attacked. Theo was stopping the bike, not trying to attack anyone.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-11, 11:31 PM #6
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Go away freelancer. Not an opinion thread. Don't anyone disagree with him and start a debate, either.

I hope this is in jest. He can post in this thread just as much as everyone else can.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-06-11, 11:31 PM #7
Any ideas? Opinions? Motifs, themes, metaphors?

Go away freelancer. Not an opinion thread.

"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-06-11, 11:39 PM #8
I don't want to talk about the film's merits. I want to talk about the possible themes, motifs, and ideas within it. What were your marks in reading comprehension?

Please, let's just ignore these 3 posts and move on.

Can you explain more about the bladerunner reference, I haven't seen it.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-11, 11:56 PM #9
Quote:
I want to talk about the possible themes, motifs, and ideas within it. What were your marks in reading comprehension?

Please, let's just ignore these 3 posts and move on.

I would have dropped it if you had left out the jab at my reading comprehension. It's comical that you bring up my reading comprehension right after you conspicuously forsook your initial request for opinions, though. You see, my reading comprehension is fantastic. It's my mind-reading skills that are severely lacking, though, because I was unable to determine that you didn't want opinions even though you asked for them.
2007-06-11, 11:59 PM #10
Quote:
Now that I've got that out, I want to not argue this movie's merits. Instead we're going to talk about the sickening level of symbolism, religious allusions, and themes.

STOP POSTING.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-12, 12:02 AM #11
Maybe Freelancer should be the bigger man and walk away.

Walk away.
2007-06-12, 12:02 AM #12
OH SNAP (Bigger could be in italics too)
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-12, 12:25 AM #13
I thought the long sequences that were filmed in one take were extremely impressive and used effectively throughout the film. I usually don't pay attention to cinematography, but this technique really added realism and gave a more gritty feel to the chase scene than most other films do.

Also, the Strawberry Cough reference was pretty funny. I never thought a major motion picture would cause such a bump in price per oz for such an obscure strain ;p
2007-06-12, 12:29 AM #14
OMG, stop! You're discussing the merits of the film, rather than the themes and symbolism! Oh, wait, it's okay as long as it's non-critical of the film.
2007-06-12, 12:38 AM #15
I thought the long shots really added more to the intensity and belief. Really put you into the movie. But as freelancer pointed out, I'm looking for symbolisms and motifs more than cinematography.

And yes. I don't want to hear criticism of the movie, you're right. I want to hear how effective the movie's elements were. I am a horrible person for requiring people posting agree that it was a good film, and instead talk about the meanings in the film... But you don't get it, do you? Stop posting.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-12, 12:39 AM #16
I thought the movie was crappy.
2007-06-12, 12:41 AM #17
Steven is a waste of space.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-12, 12:43 AM #18
Originally posted by Steven:

I agree with the above statement.
2007-06-12, 6:37 AM #19
Don't anyone disagree with him and start a debate, either.

Steven is a waste of space.

:downswords:

It has begun. Oh yeah, and great film.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2007-06-12, 7:37 AM #20
I wrote three papers on this film in the winter...

The most fascinating aspect of the film, I think, was that Theo was in EVERY. SINGLE. SCENE.

Think about it, watch it again. He might not be on screen 100% of the time, but he is in every single scene.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-06-12, 8:42 AM #21
Because it's nearly a 1st perspective piece. While you're not from his eyes the whole time, you're always looking at his experience.

You don't see him when the old guy is about to kill his wife though.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-12, 9:06 AM #22
I, like Steven and Freelancer, hated this movie.
>>untie shoes
2007-06-12, 9:06 AM #23
You don't see him when the old guy is about to kill his wife though.
True, but I bet you can be sure he knew that was what he was doing inside the house.

I loved this film, had some of the most realistic "war" scenes I've ever seen in a film and I really liked the basis of the plot.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2007-06-12, 11:18 AM #24
Watched it again night before last with friends. Truly fantastic.

I'd probably read the book before trying to delve into 'religous figures' and symbols, it's too easy to say that Sid, the 'bad guy', was the devil... There's not really enough reason to that I'm aware of.

I do think though, that Kee is sort of juxtaposed with a more Mary-like character... you can tell there's supposed to be a contrast between her and the 'mother of the savior' in that she jokes about not being a virgin, jokes about not knowing who the father is, curses, is very down to earth, is a fuji, etc.

One thing about this movie was how well it developed the setting. In other near-future films, they'll highlight the technological differences, or somehow work a scenario in where it's possible to demonstrate some 'situation' that's now commonplace or whatever... In Children of Men, the special effects are more subtle, the screens everywhere, the cages in various places, the buses, soldiers... all are presented as side items, accents on what Theo sees. Yes, there are prisoners being abused and children throwing rocks at the train and a bomb going off and so on, but they're all presented as things Theo sees while he's doing something else... the focus remains on his journey, and thus, the accents don't stick out and become too obviously tacked-on.
2007-06-12, 11:21 AM #25
good movie crap thread
2007-06-12, 11:35 AM #26
Originally posted by Jon`C:
good movie crap thread

signed
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-06-12, 12:12 PM #27
Havn't seen it yet.. Might go rent it today

:)

2007-06-12, 12:25 PM #28
Originally posted by saberopus:
is a fuji

Just a nitpick, it's spelled "fugee", because it's short for refugee.
2007-06-12, 12:27 PM #29
I loved the movie, but was let down by where it ended. It was very powerful though. I can't recall any particular things that jumped out at me as far as symbolism and such. I need to watch it again.
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2007-06-12, 3:13 PM #30
Is this a new movie? I haven't heard of it O_o
If my smoking bothers you, don't breathe.
2007-06-12, 3:25 PM #31
http://imdb.com/title/tt0206634/
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2007-06-12, 3:40 PM #32
Heh, I was reading the review and I thought.. "I've seen this movie." but then I realized I was thinking about Aeon Flux.
If my smoking bothers you, don't breathe.
2007-06-12, 4:22 PM #33
I'm not reading this thread, but I bought this movie last night and I plan to watch it tomorrow.
2007-06-12, 5:37 PM #34
You're in for a real treat, amigo!
2007-06-12, 10:29 PM #35
What about his feet? Is it just a plot device, or could I read more into his feet being the constant burden of his travel?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-12, 11:28 PM #36
Originally posted by Steven:

Thirded.
2007-06-12, 11:30 PM #37
Stop being an overwhelming dick. I just asked for some respect.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-12, 11:31 PM #38
Respect is earned, not requested.
2007-06-12, 11:39 PM #39
Originally posted by Jon`C:
good movie crap thread
why do i have to enter at least 1 characters
2007-06-12, 11:47 PM #40
Stop having an overwhelming dick.

Why does everyone keep saying that to me?

↑ Up to the top!