Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Another film thread...
Another film thread...
2007-06-11, 11:45 PM #1
Mr. Cheapass here finally bit the bullet, and I've now got Blockbuster's Online program. I can get 2 movies delivered to me, and then I can go to the store and get as many movies as I'd like, all for 10 bucks.

I did this because there are so many good movies that slipped by me that I've wanted to see. I will even see a bad movie with something to offer, I just want to watch movies.

Films I haven't seen but want to see (This list will be dynamic. I'll update it with suggestions):

Bladerunner
Clerks (1 + 2)
Godfather (1 + 2)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Good Fellas
The Departed
Little Miss Sunshine
Hero
The Hidden Fortress
Sabrina (the original)
His Girl Friday
Harvey
Cool Hand Luke
The Notebook
Bridget Jones' Diary
Reign Over Me
A Very Long Engagement
Jamon Jamon
Dias de Futbol
Russian Dolls
The Beat That My Heart SkippedRope
The Man Who Knew Too Much
The Boys Next Door
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
City of God
Lord of War
Kelly's Heroes
Donnie Brasco

So suggest movies! I'm into all kinds of things, even chick flicks. I am a psychotic fan of characters, so if a movie has awesome character study, I'm in. I'd also love to see some foreign films, so suggest away.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-12, 12:14 AM #2
Can you get television series on DVD? There are tons of great shows that run like movies. I recently watched seasons 1-3 of The Wire and I was blown away. Having 20+ hours to tell a story allows for great character development and a very deep story that 99% of movies can't even come close to. It's a drama, and since the movies you listed are dramas I assume that you are looking for more serious stories. Rome and 24 are also excellent shows. If you are into comedy, Arrested Development and Entourage are very amusing.
2007-06-12, 12:21 AM #3
I am a REALLY bad person to talk to about TV. I hate TV. 24 is possibly one of the worst things you could ever suggest to me. Horrible show.

And I am hardly limited to serious. I will literally watch any genre.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-12, 12:22 AM #4
Yesterday I watched The Hidden Fortress by Akira Kurosawa. Great movie. Get it now.
Sorry for the lousy German
2007-06-12, 12:24 AM #5
Godfather II needs to be on that list.
Pissed Off?
2007-06-12, 12:25 AM #6
Do you care much for classic movies? If so, pretty much any movie with Henry Fonda, James Stewart, Cary Grant, Steve McQueen, Robert Redford, Paul Newman, or Bogey is worth seeing at least once. My favorites include Sabrina (the original), His Girl Friday, Harvey, Cool Hand Luke and The Sting.

Lots of people discount classics as being "slow" or "boring", but if you listen to the dialogue, it's absolutely wonderful. There were no special effects, fancy camera angles, or computer generated images, so the whole movie is driven by dialogue and acting.
2007-06-12, 12:28 AM #7
I've seen a lot of classics due to having a boss who forces classics on his editors in an attempt to fashion classic editors. I'll look into those directors more, though. And by no means, don't hold back classic suggestions.

And Godfather 2 is included with godfather.

Hero is another!
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-12, 12:28 AM #8
Both Bridget Jones movies!
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2007-06-12, 12:30 AM #9
Those names I listed are actors, not directors (although they may have directed, but that's not what they are noted for).
2007-06-12, 12:32 AM #10
See, I never go for actors names. I've never been into actors.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-12, 12:33 AM #11
That's because modern actors are little more than pretty faces. Those actors that I mentioned were real actors, not just pretty boys.
2007-06-12, 12:33 AM #12
Originally posted by JediKirby:
I am a REALLY bad person to talk to about TV. I hate TV. 24 is possibly one of the worst things you could ever suggest to me. Horrible show.

Fair enough, but I strongly urge you to watch The Wire anyways. It's got a much different feel from most modern TV shows. Its development was heavily influenced by ex-police force members, and if you have any interest in urban/street life I'm sure you'll get hooked.
2007-06-12, 12:40 AM #13
I'll totally check it out. I REALLY like "Rescue Me" so hey, maybe I'd like this?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-12, 3:06 AM #14
Bladerunner 2?
幻術
2007-06-12, 6:08 AM #15
Rope

The Man Who Knew Too Much

The Boys Next Door
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2007-06-12, 6:32 AM #16
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2007-06-12, 6:46 AM #17
Lola Rennt / Run, Lola, Run / Lola Runs

One of the few good German movies that you can find outside of Germany.
Sorry for the lousy German
2007-06-12, 8:47 AM #18
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Bladerunner (1 + 2)

There is no Bladerunner 2. Unless you're referring to the books (there's three of them) and last I checked, Blockbuster doesn't do books.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2007-06-12, 9:03 AM #19
Rocky and Rocky Balboa for really interesting character study.

Also see Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut. The Aviator is good for that sort of thing as well.

Those are all very strong movies with amazing acting and character development.
>>untie shoes
2007-06-12, 9:16 AM #20
If you are into characters, then you need to see Scorsese's Taxi Driver.

Foreign films that I recommend:
A Very Long Engagement
Jamon Jamon
Dias de Futbol
Russian Dolls
The Beat That My Heart Skipped

And I second the recommendation of Run, Lola, Run.
2007-06-12, 9:20 AM #21
City of God
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2007-06-12, 9:22 AM #22
I <3<3<3<3 The Aviator

I also enjoyed the rocky films.

I'll add the rest!
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-12, 9:24 AM #23
I'll recommend you three films from my own collection.

Lord of War - simply a superb film. Great music, too.
Kelly's Heroes - my favourite movie when I was a kid, with a nifty cast (Clint Eastwood, Telly Savalas, Donald Sutherland...)
Donnie Brasco - a good film for character, I think, and you've got a few mob-related films on your list already.
2007-06-12, 9:26 AM #24
I think the only movies I don't like are sports movies. And thrillers, but I still watch those.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-12, 9:32 AM #25
Most of these are good:

http://aglar.no-ip.org/movies.txt
2007-06-12, 10:08 AM #26
Ronin is pretty good
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2007-06-12, 10:14 AM #27
BEN-HURRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2007-06-12, 10:32 AM #28
Originally posted by RotM_igotissues:
Ronin is pretty good

Seconded. Also Bullit with Steve McQueen.
Pissed Off?
2007-06-12, 11:23 AM #29
get brokeback mountain and put it on infinite loop
2007-06-12, 11:28 AM #30
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2007-06-12, 12:31 PM #31
Lucky Number Slevin
El Laberinto del Fauno (Pan's Labyrinth)
Before Sunrise
Before Sunset
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2007-06-12, 2:21 PM #32
The Great Escape
Pissed Off?
2007-06-12, 2:52 PM #33
Let's see, character-driven movies... here are some of my favorites:

• The Elephant Man (a must-see)
  • Mr. Smith Goes To Washington
  • Everything is Illuminated
  • 12 Angry Men
  • The Graduate
  • American Beauty (probably my # 1)
  • Memento
  • And because I can, I recommend Eraserhead (I'm 99% sure you'd hate it)
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2007-06-12, 2:58 PM #34
How can so many of you talk about "character-driven movies" and not mention Glengarry Glen Ross?
omnia mea mecum porto
2007-06-12, 4:28 PM #35
Leon/The Professional
Dark City
Strange Days
In The Mouth of Madness
Slacker (Don't confuse this with Slackers, which sucked ***)
Snatch
Lock, Stock And Two Smoking Barrels
The Wicker Man (the original)
UHF
Clerks
Dogma
The Ninth Gate (I seem to be the only person I know who enjoyed it, so watch at your own risk, I guess)
2007-06-12, 4:46 PM #36
The Breakfast Club is a pretty good movie. The plot isn't anything special - it's about a group of different highschool stereotypical boys and girls (nerd, jock, cheerleader, troublemaker, weird goth-like girl) stuck in detention together. And although that may sound very lame, Judd Nelson (John Bender) makes up for lack of originality in whatever little plot substance it has.
幻術
2007-06-12, 6:21 PM #37
Characters?

Rain Man
Shawshank Redemption
Green Mile
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2007-06-12, 6:51 PM #38
Two of my favorite movies when it comes to being character driven would have to be
Wonder Boys
and
The Man Who Wasn't There
"It sounds like an epidemic."
"Look, I don't know what that means. But it happens all the time." - Penny Arcade
Last.fm
2007-06-12, 7:03 PM #39
umm.. I saw Shrek 3 :D

I also saw PotC3, Transformers and DOA.
If my smoking bothers you, don't breathe.
2007-06-12, 10:32 PM #40
Lots to add to my list. I'm going to compile a main list and a sublist when the thread starts to die.

Everything is Illuminated is a movie I want to add to my personal collection, and that's a big statement. I very rarely buy movies. That movie filled me with so much... God, I don't know. Something.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ

↑ Up to the top!