Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Don't work with people who don't know anything
Don't work with people who don't know anything
2007-06-14, 7:34 PM #1
I'm just venting:

I've been editing film for 6 years. I am a very good editor, and all of my employers know this. I have worked under-budgeted since I started editing (And now since I've started web designing) simply because of the non-technological area I live in. My skills are under-appreciated, under-paid, and unrespected.

When I say that I need 2 weeks to edit a graduation party video, you do not miss the handoff meeting, and then call me 30 times the next week while I'm at my best friends going-away dinner, wanting to bring the footage to me 3 days before the deadline (Without telling me the actual deadline.). You don't ignore me when I say that "The footage should all fit on one DVD, but if it doesn't work out that way, we'll have to use 2" and then flip out when I have to recut the project for 2 DVDs the night before a deadline I only knew about 2 hours ago. You do not pay me 50 dollars to do 2 weeks of editing in 3 days while my little cousin is up from rochester and wants to go do the things I promised but I can't because I'm editing some ****ing graduation video with far less footage than I need for what I'm being asked to produce. 50 dollars is not a good 20 hour rate.

I've worked with nothing but poor directors my entire life, and I'm sick of it. Sick of being paid "Later when I have the money" sick of being blamed for computer errors that waste DVDs when my boss' wont buy rewritables or a decent burner, and the computer error is my problem. I'm sick of not being paid for training hours. I'm sick of my boss' considering a meal's price 'coming out of my salary' after 8 straight hours of sitting in a mosh pit filming stupid angsty kids that are really afraid to talk to eachother so instead they scream out half assed lyrics in a dimly lit room while grabbing girl's breasts because there's a crowd and no one will see for 9$ an hour. I'm sick of getting phonecalls from the news station wanting me to train in someone that will work for cheaper because they're interns, and paying me $100 for explaining the basic working concepts of WINDOWS let alone the editing software instead of them just hiring me to edit their 3 minute segments about HORSE CARRIAGE RIDES that no one watches because they're boring as snot, but their producer wants pieces that speak to an older generation of viewers.

If I weren't crippled, I'd just buy my own cameras and shoot my own goddamned weddings, graduations, and skateboarding videos and stupid **** that people don't care if the video quality is ****. I should move to somewhere that actually HAS editing jobs that aren't offered by underexperienced idiots with pipe dreams.

Uuuuh... Complain about your job?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-14, 7:39 PM #2
Master the cockpunch and no one will short you ever again.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-06-14, 7:46 PM #3
I'm currently employed (only for the summer, thankfully) at Walmart, in Lawn & Garden. What do I do? I work outside, in the hot sun, lifting bags of dirt, mulch, and stones into people's cars. I do this for 8 hours a day, 4 days a week. How much do I make? $7.50 an hour.
2007-06-14, 8:26 PM #4
I do manual labor for 16 hours in the forest when it's on fire. It's a very dangerous occupation that could kill me. I think I win, except for the Massassians in the military, anyway.
Pissed Off?
2007-06-14, 8:29 PM #5
I don't have a job yet. *insert generic whining about not having a job, and about all the work needed to get one*

2007-06-14, 8:31 PM #6
Don't make it a contest! Everyone has a right to complain in this thread. Even MZZTer.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-14, 8:32 PM #7
I just got a job as a rep for best buy that is about 12 hours a week and $15/hr.

:P

For what it's worth,
I usually quit the jobs that aren't worth my time.
My first job paid really well, but it was SUCH a crappy job. taking surveys from respondants with an ex-military washup for a boss, in his 30's, who made us essentially make up respondant names, phone numbers, and results to meet our quota. Doing literally 10-20 surveys a day, that were in turn about 10-20 pages apiece.
I mean it paid well, but it burned me out after 2 years.

That was about 2-3 years ago, I've worked for a restaurant and CompUSA since then.
Not to say the pay was alot better, but at least the jobs were fun.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2007-06-14, 9:17 PM #8
Once, a few years ago. I had a job that sucked. It sucked allot. Then after working for nearly two years at this job, I realized how much it sucked. So I quit. You should probably do the same.

Now my job sucks allot less. I might even say it doesn’t suck at all. It pays better (and exposes me to significantly more radiation. BONUS! :neckbeard: )

Moral of the story, don’t work at sucky jobs.
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2007-06-14, 9:24 PM #9
I'm not going into any detail, But I work with a bunch of idiots.

When something comes up that no one wants to do, the generic response is "Oh, That's not my job. Get *insert joe's name here* Joe to do it, he's a private and I'm a Sergeant, I don't want to do it, hurrr"

That pisses me off to no end.

Also, The other guy I work with (who happens to be a Sergeant while I am a lowly E-3) shows up late to his guard shifts consistantly. He was 37 minutes late the other day! and what am I going to say? "Wtf Sergeant(assface)? You're late!"
Yet when I was 5 minutes late because I was helping someone fill a radio with comsec he was like "WHY THE **** ARE YOU LATE! OMGZ START PUSHING!"

What ever happened to "Lead By Example?"
That is all.
If my smoking bothers you, don't breathe.
2007-06-14, 9:31 PM #10
I work as a tech support and graphic / web design (and my boss quips "other duties as assigned") for the local nursing college at my university. Pays $11/hr. For the most part I enjoy it, and I have some great co-workers, but some days... If people honestly knew how ignorant most nurses were, they wouldn't go to hospitals.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2007-06-14, 9:31 PM #11
I tell airplanes where to park by shaking glowsticks at them.
2007-06-14, 9:32 PM #12
i work in a one hour photo lab at a drug store. i am the head of the department. i was promoted to head of department without a raise. i was promoted to head of department with only enough training to do stuff at the end of the month. i was not told where important things are kept, how to order supplies and things of that nature.

the hard drive failed on our main machine. called in a tech to fix it. he cant fix it without windows recovery disc and software for the machine. these discs are unique to each store. these discs are missing. gone. stupid ex-head of photo. losing important things.

without finding these discs, the entire computer needs to be replaced(which makes no sense to me...) at the company's expense.

we have been shut down all week. the company is paying for it, but no one is coming till tuesday. it'll get fixed then, but things wont run exactly right for a couple days.

when things are good i love my job, but things like this piss me off hardcore.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2007-06-14, 9:32 PM #13
I tell airplanes where to park by shaking glowsticks at them.
2007-06-14, 9:39 PM #14
next week i start at a Nestle R&D plant in the IT department. its a 40 hour a week job and im getting $9.75 an hour
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2007-06-14, 9:40 PM #15
I work as a mechanic for a guy that knows nothing about cars. My boss feels the need to micro-manage the entire shop which slows us down considerably, then he yells and *****es because things aren't getting done quicker. On top of that, the equipment we need to do our jobs (tire changing machines, balancers, air guns, alignment machines etc.) are in horrible condition and the LARGE company I work for will not pay to have them repaired or replaced. Keep in mind, this also includes the lifts I work under for 8 hours a day. That's not a comforting feeling. They finally disabled one lift when it launched a car into the air instead of lifting it slowly. Thank God it landed back on the lift instead of on the guy's head standing next to it.

I hate Sears.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2007-06-14, 9:44 PM #16
I had a fantastic job - and then the CEO ran the company into the ground (one too many Ferarri F430's in the garage). Never did hear what country he ran off too...

Now I sell mobile phones. Not the most thrilling job in the world, but hey, better than nothing. Just enough to get me through uni.
2007-06-14, 9:46 PM #17
How many is one too many?
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2007-06-14, 9:48 PM #18
A shiny red one for him, a yellow one for his wife. Not too sure what the mistress got.
2007-06-14, 9:52 PM #19
Originally posted by 82nd_Fister:
When something comes up that no one wants to do, the generic response is "Oh, That's not my job. Get *insert joe's name here* Joe to do it, he's a private and I'm a Sergeant, I don't want to do it, hurrr"

The joys of the chain of command.
Pissed Off?
2007-06-14, 9:54 PM #20
[CENTER][http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/stevenvaladez/whaaa.jpg]
Not directed at anyone in particular,
athough it is intended largely for Kirby's benefit
[/CENTER]
2007-06-14, 9:56 PM #21
jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus :awesome::neckbeard::awesome:
2007-06-14, 9:57 PM #22
I know right? Delegation is where it's at.

What's funny is, this guy is probably going to get demoted soon and I'll make Sergeant before he gets back up to E-4 :D
2007-06-14, 10:10 PM #23
If you want to get paid more, demand a raise or leave. It is your own damn fault if you didn't set a contract up at all guaranteeing (sp) a specific wage. And if you did, and you are complaining about it, then you really have absolutly nothing to complain about, since you agreed to that money.

Simple as that :/. Otherwise, deal with it.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2007-06-14, 10:15 PM #24
It's really not that easy. I have few payable talents at this moment. One of them is editing. There are crap editing jobs here. My bosses have no money. I pretty much have to deal with it, which is why I'm *****ing.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-14, 10:39 PM #25
Originally posted by 82nd_Fister:
I know right? Delegation is where it's at.

What's funny is, this guy is probably going to get demoted soon and I'll make Sergeant before he gets back up to E-4 :D

Many a people have said that sergeants run the army. ;)
Pissed Off?
2007-06-14, 10:54 PM #26
Originally posted by JediKirby:
There are crap editing jobs here. My bosses have no money. I pretty much have to deal with it

No you don't. Move. Change careers. And most importantly, please do it before we must endure more whining.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-06-14, 11:03 PM #27
#1: I can't work at a fast food restaurant while I switch careers.
#2: I can't move and expect to find accessible living.
#3: I don't have any money to move.
#4: You're the LAST person who can complain about whining, mr "change my wikissassi entry so it doesn't reflect how much I complained when everyone made fun of my mom. waaaaah!"
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-14, 11:20 PM #28
I like my job. I get to play with a mahoosive set of virtual meccano. I have a company car and they pay me well and are giving me sporadic but excellent in house training.

I lose the thread

.(
2007-06-14, 11:45 PM #29
Originally posted by JediKirby:
#1: I can't work at a fast food restaurant while I switch careers.

A) Yes you can.
B) You don't have to quit your current line of work to change careers until you're ready.

Quote:
#2: I can't move and expect to find accessible living.

Plenty of people manage it. Christ. Nevertheless, that's why you have a place lined up before you move. This is the internet age. It's not that hard.

Quote:
#3: I don't have any money to move.

Your best-case scenario is the cost of travel. I really doubt you have so much stuff that you'd have to hire movers. Rent a U-haul or something.

Quote:
#4: You're the LAST person who can complain about whining, mr "change my wikissassi entry so it doesn't reflect how much I complained when everyone made fun of my mom. waaaaah!"

I never once requested a change to my page from anyone, nor did I ever edit out any parts of my page pertaining to my mother (because honestly, I never saw any). JM did that of his own volition. Get your damn facts straight.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-06-14, 11:53 PM #30
Originally posted by Freelancer:
A) Yes you can.

Uhhh dude.

You have to be able to reach the fryer to cook the fries..
2007-06-14, 11:55 PM #31
I think Freelancer meant that instead of buying grease for the fries, they would wring it out of Kirby's greasy hair and slimy face.
2007-06-14, 11:58 PM #32
Originally posted by Steven:
I think Freelancer meant that instead of buying grease for the fries, they would wring it out of Kirby's greasy hair and slimy face.

Wow. BURN.
2007-06-15, 12:37 AM #33
How would I work at a fast food joint, freelancer? (And I have a problem with NOT having enough grease in my hair and face, now. I've gone from a zit problem to a moisturizing problem)
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-15, 12:43 AM #34
Originally posted by Zecks:
I'm currently employed (only for the summer, thankfully) at Walmart, in Lawn & Garden. What do I do? I work outside, in the hot sun, lifting bags of dirt, mulch, and stones into people's cars. I do this for 8 hours a day, 4 days a week. How much do I make? $7.50 an hour.

I work at Walmart as a cart pusher, doing essentially the same thing, because our lawn and garden people are lazy, and I only make $7.25. :) But then, I rarely have to deal with the customers, so it's a good tradeoff.
2007-06-15, 12:44 AM #35
We had this editor work with us on some huge website and we were discussing how pictures should be presented. You have to know that she already had very much experience with websites.

Editor: "I like the border around this picture. How thick is the border?"
Programmer: "That should be one pixel. I'll look it up ... Yeah, one pixel."
Editor: "That is too thick. We should do it with half a pixel."
Programmer: "Uhhh, one pixel is the smallest unit we can use."
Editor: "I know, I want it smaller."
Programmer: "I mean, there isn't anything smaller. One pixel is one pixel. You can't make it smaller."
Editor: "I KNOW THAT! I WANT IT SMALLER!"

I'm so glad the company, that hired us, went bankrupt.
Sorry for the lousy German
2007-06-15, 12:49 AM #36
Originally posted by Avenger:
Many a people have said that sergeants run the army. ;)

The only thing my Sergeant is running is my morale... into the ground.

He seriously makes me hate life because he's such a scrawny dude and I could just break him in half if I wanted to.

And he reminds me of that kid from Malibu's Most Wanted. The kid who tries to act black but is as white as it gets? (no racist comment)

I seriously hate him and I keep telling him I'm going to stab him.
He thinks I'm joking.
2007-06-15, 12:58 AM #37
Well it's a good thing you're an idiot and he probably doesn't care.
2007-06-15, 1:00 AM #38
Probably. But I'm still going to stab him before this deployment is over.
2007-06-15, 1:02 AM #39
You're so strong and manly, you could break a guy in half and that makes him easy to hate. Haha.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-15, 1:08 AM #40
Yeah.. he's like 2 feet tall. What would you know about that?

↑ Up to the top!