Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → A bat flew into my face
A bat flew into my face
2007-06-20, 9:58 PM #1
Monday night I went out for a run in my neighborhood. About a block down the street a bat flew out of a tree straight into my face and then flew on. It was incredibly fast and I had no time to react until it was gone. I felt a slap on the side of my face from its leathery wings.

Shaken up I ran back home and scrubbed my face and shoulder with soap and water, knowing that that is the first thing to do when faced with possible exposure to rabies. Looking at the mirror and seeing no mark, I figured everything is okay, and went out to run again.

Last night (2 days later) I started getting kind of worried. You think I should go get a checkup?
Dreams of a dreamer from afar to a fardreamer.
2007-06-20, 9:59 PM #2
If you are frothing at the mouth, then yes, seek help.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2007-06-20, 10:14 PM #3
it wouldn't hurt to go to a walk-in and just double check. if anything it will put your mind at ease
"You were probably a result of sabotage."
2007-06-20, 10:17 PM #4
Do you have bite marks on your neck?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-06-20, 10:23 PM #5
I can see that this concern is driving you batty!

SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-06-20, 10:27 PM #6
Go just for piece of mind. Rabies does take a while to develop, let's just say you don't want to wait to develop symptoms to get it checked out.
2007-06-20, 10:28 PM #7
I think you'd know if you had rabies ....
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-06-20, 10:32 PM #8
Originally posted by Freelancer:
I think you'd know if you had rabies ....

The incubation time ranges from weeks to years dude. You wouldn't know for a while, and you want to develop immunity via vaccination beforehand.
2007-06-20, 10:33 PM #9
Wouldn't it have to bite you to get rabies? It sounds like the little ****er just planned a poor trajectory and flew into his head.
2007-06-20, 10:34 PM #10
Originally posted by Wikipedia:
There are only six recorded cases of a person surviving rabies after the onset of symptoms.

:eek:
2007-06-20, 10:36 PM #11
Originally posted by Emon:
Wouldn't it have to bite you to get rabies? It sounds like the little ****er just planned a poor trajectory and flew into his head.

Yeah, never hurts to be safe rather than sorry though. I mean, I don't know the guy, maybe he could miss a bite. He did do the best thing and wash the area, and that should take care of it, but there's always the odd .000001% chance.

Actually, most likely the docs will send him home without anything. However, he seems pretty stressed about this as well, so why not? And maybe he is missing something... I know it sounds stupid, but work with people long enough and your threshold of obviousness kinda gets changed.

Edit: God damn, my books are behind wikipedia in some instances; that's both angering and sad in a way:

Quote:
The most widely distributed reservoir of rabies in the United States, however, and the source of most human cases in the U.S., are bats. Nineteen of the twenty-two human rabies cases documented in the United States between 1980 and 1997 have been identified genetically as bat rabies. In many cases, victims are not even aware of having been bitten by a bat, assuming that a small puncture wound found after the fact was the bite of an insect or spider; in some cases, no wound at all can be found, leading to the hypothesis that in some cases the virus can be contracted via inhaling airborne aerosols from the vicinity of a bat or bats.

It was shuffled in my notes though as well, anyway. There's some debate though as penetration from the lungs is very different from a bite and would require vastly different virulence factors... regardless, again I say get it checked out.
2007-06-20, 11:26 PM #12
Hmm. Well I went to a vet's clinic down the street and she said if I didn't feel a bite and I washed the area, I should have nothing to worry about.

Damn the Internet with its stupid frightening facts.
2007-06-21, 12:15 AM #13
1 case of human rabies in the U.S. per year. That's not frightening at all. It's a relief. You have a higher chance of dying from just about anything else, except maybe an asteroid.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-06-21, 12:15 AM #14
I've never encountered a bat.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-06-21, 12:39 AM #15
There are a few bats around where I live in Tel Aviv, you barely ever see them except late at night fluttering from treetop to treetop (most trees are over 40 feet tall). So it seemed kind of odd that one would fly down from a tree straight into my face when I was the only one on the sidewalk. But anyway...
2007-06-21, 12:56 AM #16
Maybe the bat itself was sick enough not to know what it was doing.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2007-06-21, 4:08 AM #17
You see them all the time in Spain, and quite a few on the Norfolk Broads in England. Not in Liverpool, though.
2007-06-21, 4:14 AM #18
I request fardreamer's user title to be changed to Batface .
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2007-06-21, 4:25 AM #19
when you die of rabies can I have your stuff?
2007-06-21, 4:30 AM #20
If you were anywhere near a watersource like a stream or pond it was probably flying around quite low trying to catch the insects that fly just above it.
2007-06-21, 4:30 AM #21
Originally posted by Jep:
I request fardreamer's user title to be changed to Batface .

DENI---- granted :hist101:
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2007-06-21, 4:50 AM #22
Originally posted by Recusant:
If you were anywhere near a watersource like a stream or pond...

There are streams and ponds in Israel?
2007-06-21, 5:07 AM #23
Originally posted by MBeggar:
DENI---- granted :hist101:

You win. :awesome:
2007-06-21, 5:22 AM #24
Originally posted by lassev:
There are streams and ponds in Israel?

He lives in Israel?
nope.
2007-06-21, 5:37 AM #25
1. Yes I live in Israel
2. Yes there are streams and pods in Israel, it's not only desert you know
3. I think there's a drinking fountain right about where it hit me
4. I can live with BATFACE but does it have to be in red? :P
2007-06-21, 5:49 AM #26
For BLOOD!
nope.
2007-06-21, 6:00 AM #27
Originally posted by Fardreamer:
1. Yes I live in Israel
2. Yes there are streams and pods in Israel, it's not only desert you know
3. I think there's a drinking fountain right about where it hit me
4. I can live with BATFACE but does it have to be in red? :P

Quit crying, I was stuck with Pee-pee socks as my title because of you. :P

Or was it deserpike...

:awesome:
2007-06-21, 8:29 AM #28
Odd, there was an article in todays newspaper about rabies and bats. Said that bat bites aren't always felt...

Get a check up you rabid freak! ;)
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2007-06-21, 9:02 AM #29
I'd buy yourself a gun if I were you. If you start becoming sensitive to the daylight, if you start becoming thirsty regardless of much you've had to drink -- then I suggest you take that gun and use it on yourself. Better that, than the alternative.
2007-06-21, 9:14 AM #30
Can you get banned for rabid posting?
2007-06-21, 9:22 AM #31
*You have contracted polymorphic hemophilia*
2007-06-21, 9:28 AM #32
Better drink a cure disease potion.
2007-06-21, 9:33 AM #33
Hm, pretty sure bats just don't fly into people. They aren't blind, and they can echolocate too... weird. Maybe you scared it.
2007-06-21, 9:34 AM #34
Thanks, like I'm not stressed out enough already. :tinfoil:
2007-06-21, 9:38 AM #35
Maybe it was trying to warn you? Like if you didn't slow down for that bat, an anaconda was going to constrict you.
2007-06-21, 11:15 AM #36
Originally posted by Vincent Valentine:
Maybe it was trying to warn you? Like if you didn't slow down for that bat, an anaconda was going to constrict you.

that does sound like the most likely scenario... yes.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2007-06-21, 11:18 AM #37
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
*You have contracted polymorphic hemophilia*

Polymorphic?

Maybe porphyric hemophilia.
2007-06-21, 11:49 AM #38
Rabies is transferred through infected saliva. So as long as it didn't bite you or the Bat's saliva didn't come into contact with an existing wound, You'll be fine.
If my smoking bothers you, don't breathe.
2007-06-21, 11:51 AM #39
Also the bat would need to have rabies to begin with.
2007-06-21, 11:58 AM #40
you can also get it if the bat's bodily fluids come into contact with a mucous membrane. so if you like to cut your cocaine with bat semen you should probably stop doing that, i don't know

↑ Up to the top!