Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Wow, Strong parenting.
Wow, Strong parenting.
2007-06-24, 5:12 AM #41
So wait, now you're trying to say that an adult relationship doesn't have those same concepts? We're not saying that it's ok for them to be married, we're saying it's ok for them to be in love. Or rather, we can't claim that they're NOT in love because we think it's petty for a 16 year old to be in love with someone who makes her feel good. She doesn't have the maturity and brain function to make life changing decisions, so she shouldn't be able to marry him at that age, but we have no right to say what is and isn't love. We need to stay out of that aspect of people's lives all together.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-24, 5:19 AM #42
I doubt a 16 year old knows anything real about love.

I don't think most 18 year olds do either.

If I had my way I'd make everyone wait until they were 21. (That way you can become an alcoholic the day you get married. AWESOME.)
2007-06-24, 10:11 AM #43
Why would you enforce rules onto people that don't matter? Are you going to enforce what color of clothes people wear too? Or how about what time they have to go to bed? IT DOESN'T MATTER. JUST LET PEOPLE LIVE THEIR LIVES.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-06-24, 10:14 AM #44
YEAH, WE'LL MAKE MURDER LEGAL TOO!

I MEAN IF SOMEONE KILLS SOMEONE I DON'T KNOW IT DOESN'T MATTER!

What a retarded train of logic you have going on there.
2007-06-24, 10:23 AM #45
Those aren't even vaguely similar...
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-24, 10:28 AM #46
It's letting people live their lives.

If they want to commit wanton murder, who am I to judge?
2007-06-24, 10:36 AM #47
Originally posted by Rob:
It's letting people live their lives.

If they want to commit wanton murder, who am I to judge?

The difference between murder and what clothes you wear is that one affects another person. That's a pretty damn big difference.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-06-24, 10:40 AM #48
And convincing a young girl into marrying you isn't?
2007-06-24, 10:43 AM #49
Well, it's her decision.

That's the problem with psychological manipulation; it's hard to prove that it's happening and even harder to try to legislate it.
2007-06-24, 10:49 AM #50
So we establish a simple system: 18 year old girls have developed enough maturity to make major life choices. That doesn't mean we claim she can't be in love at age 16, it means she can't act on it until 18. Why is this so hard for you to accept, Rob? A 16, 12, oh my goodness, even 10 year old isn't told that they can't have an emotional response to input, and you're upset?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-24, 11:00 AM #51
**** no Rob, I am sick of things I can't do until I'm 21.

Also, judging from the divorce rate, most 30 year olds don't know how to form or maintain a lasting relationship either.

In fact, people should not get married. The government should breed new offspring. Yes, let THEM be in control, the rest of us can just zombie our way through life.

God dammit I got my point lost in my post again. And this one is even short!:psyduck:
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2007-06-24, 11:17 AM #52
A 16 year old isn't mature enough, end of discussion.

The man is obviously some kind of sick in the head. If he did love her, he would have WAITED.
2007-06-24, 12:41 PM #53
A 16 year old isn't mature enough, end of discussion.
No, not end of discussion. I'm trying to figure out what happened to you or who indoctrinated you to believe such a ridiculously unprovable statement.
2007-06-24, 12:47 PM #54
Go down to the local highschool (OH WAIT) and you might have an idea of why 16 year olds aren't mature enough to make calls like this.
2007-06-24, 12:51 PM #55
I've been a coach at a high school for the last three years and high school kids don't have a clue about what's going on.
Pissed Off?
2007-06-24, 12:54 PM #56
hehe, he has to wait two years before he can take photographs of her vagina.
2007-06-24, 1:01 PM #57
I doubt a 16 year old knows anything real about love.

I don't think most 18 year olds do either.

If I had my way I'd make everyone wait until they were 21. (That way you can become an alcoholic the day you get married. AWESOME.)

This is why I love my Chica, She'll be old enough to buy alcohol on our wedding night ;)
If my smoking bothers you, don't breathe.
2007-06-24, 1:23 PM #58
The man is obviously some kind of sick in the head. If he did love her, he would have WAITED.

That's the truth right there, though.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2007-06-24, 1:37 PM #59
Originally posted by Spook:
**** no Rob, I am sick of things I can't do until I'm 21.

You'll forget about that once you've been 21 for a while.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2007-06-24, 1:52 PM #60
Go down to the local highschool (OH WAIT) and you might have an idea of why 16 year olds aren't mature enough to make calls like this.

The problem is that not ALL 16 year old girls are like that. Most, perhaps, but not all. As said, it's very difficult to prove this, which is why we have laws based on arbitrarily set ages. We look to sociology to find an approximate age when most teens "mature," which is about 18.

You don't know if someone under 18 isn't mature, and you don't know if someone over 18 is. Yeah, it sucks when you're under age even though you can handle the responsibilities of an adult, but on the other hand, it's only a few years out of your entire life.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-06-24, 2:04 PM #61
Originally posted by Emon:
The problem is that not ALL 16 year old girls are like that. Most, perhaps, but not all.

You can usually tell by counting how many times the girl says the word 'like' in a sentence.

"I was, like, in the mall and, like, we went to, like, the food court, but like all the food was so expensive and I only had like seven dollars, and so I just ate like a bagel and had milk as my, like, drink."
:suicide:

At least that's how most 16 year olds are here anyway. :/
2007-06-24, 2:06 PM #62
I think we should hold a pot on how long their relationship will last.
2007-06-24, 2:14 PM #63
I got $10 on 3 weeks
2007-06-24, 2:19 PM #64
I'd put a fiver on 6 months, but I have no cash :( IOU?
2007-06-24, 2:48 PM #65
I think I can make a blanket statement to say that 16 year olds are not mature enough to make a decision like that. Think back to 16. If you had a relationship with someone you thought you were in love with, imagine how your life would be if you were with them now. Most people grow and change a whole lot between say 16 and 20 and he's denying her that chance. I'm not saying that they don't love each other, I'm just saying that 16 year olds don't have enough experience and emotional maturity to be able to have a consistent understanding of what love is that will last forever. And I'm also saying that if he really loved her, he would have waited at least 2 years at least, and at most let her go and give her a chance to grow up a bit.

That being said, I don't see why the media and the rest of the world should care.

also, I almost peed myself laughing because he went to VMI
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.

↑ Up to the top!