Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → New iPod model announced
New iPod model announced
2004-07-20, 5:17 AM #1
Apple announced on July 19th the 4th Generation iPod. I think it's about time, because of that stupid battery problem. Including 12-hour battery length (so they say...), it includes a couple other improvements. Not a huge overhaul, but I'll buy a new one just for the new battery life. I haven't used this "Click-Wheel", but it still looks slick. My iPod's battery is about to die permanently, so I'm glad on the timing of this. Also, only two models will be available; 20 and 40 GB. $299 and $399, respectively.

[http://images.apple.com/ipod/images/indexipod_20040719a.gif]

Any other iPod owners here?

------------------
Space Colony Inc. Phoenix Suburban City Dereliction

[This message has been edited by Whelly (edited July 20, 2004).]
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2004-07-20, 5:21 AM #2
So they're making it better and dropping the price? Weird.. I've got a 40 gig right now, and haven't had any battery problems. I couldn't be happier. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-07-20, 5:53 AM #3
hmmm... I may get one

------------------
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-07-20, 6:16 AM #4
I thought the 4th Gens were already out? I've played with tons of click-wheels... unless those are on the older generations as well.
2004-07-20, 6:46 AM #5
Good, a new sexy model just as my 15GB iPod is filling up. Now all I need is $300.

------------------
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here this is the War Room.
http://darkestspiral.greentinted.com

"I have no clue why people trust statistics like that. 99% of the time they are made up." - Raoul Duke
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2004-07-20, 6:46 AM #6
Stupid.

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-07-20, 6:57 AM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:
Stupid.

</font>

why may I ask?

------------------
2004-07-20, 7:17 AM #8
Outrageous prices. CDs can be burned. How long are you REALLY away from the computer, stereo, or car radio that you need to spend 300 dollars to cary around a 3 by 2 inch piece of plastic with a dail on it with a bunch of songs on it? Really now, people in 3rd world countries wish they had portable meals, and you've got a freaking portable tower records store. There's something wrong with that.

JediKirby

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-07-20, 7:27 AM #9
... While there is validity to your statement, I fail to see where it's actually relevant. Yes, people in 3rd world countries are unfortunate, and wish they had more food. Many charaties (of which I donate to) provide such services. However, the United States is a capitalist government. Don't chastise me because I want to have a cool gadget. I work to earn the money that I spend, and it's none of your concern on what I or anybody else spends it on.

Personally, I use my iPod IN my car as a replacement for my stereo, via the TransPod FM transmitter. Granted, yes, I do spend alot of time on my computer, but when I'm working out, my iPod doesn't skip. When I'm on a plane, my iPod doesn't need me to switch CD's or take up NEARLY as much room. And I can get better quality audio onto my iPod than I can have on a CD.

Not to mention, it's not entirely plastic, it has a metal backing, and obviously a metal platter to the hard drive. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-07-20, 7:31 AM #10
<3 Yecti. Agree with everything you said.

------------------
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here this is the War Room.
http://darkestspiral.greentinted.com

"I have no clue why people trust statistics like that. 99% of the time they are made up." - Raoul Duke
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2004-07-20, 7:33 AM #11
As do I...

despite rather having this

------------------
yay for not posting much ever
yay for not posting much ever
2004-07-20, 7:35 AM #12
Word. I still think the iRiver looks cooler [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-20, 7:42 AM #13
They also double as portable hard drives that allow you to trafer files between computers, which comes in very handy if said file is bigger than what a floppy cna hold. Also takes a lot less time than burning a CD

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-07-20, 8:45 AM #14
I think the iRiver is oogly.

I have a Best Buy PSP on my iPod that I bought just for the purpose that when the next gens came out or my battery died I could just go swap it out. It's good for $299, so I'll be doing that in the next year I guess.

jEDIkIRBY.... I use my iPod ALL the time, not only for music, but to put driving directions, my calendar, I have a media card reader for it, and I'm looking to get a mic for it. It is one of the more useful things I've bought in the past year. Someone sounds jealous.

Also, dont bring up 3rd World people unless you're actually willing to go help them. Until I see you giving up everything you own for the sake of starving genocide victims in Sudan, dont talk. And yes, I'm going to school for International Affairs and if my music career doesnt make it I AM planning on Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International, or Peace Corps.

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-07-20, 9:15 AM #15
Malus <3's his Rio Karma.

------------------
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2004-07-20, 9:59 AM #16
I don't mean that we should go save a bunch of people in another country, I'm just compairing and contrasting. I think people's morals have gotten lost in gadgets and all that good stuff. You ask an american kid what their morals are, and they might ask you what a moral is, and if they do know, they'll either feed you some classic moral about equality, or they'll say they don't really have any specific morals.

Besides, iPods are silly. I just don't see the interest in carying that much money and music in one small portable, loosable device. And no, I'm certainly not wishing I had one: I just spent 1500 on a new computer, and put the rest of my money in the bank, all 3000 of it. I could get quite a few ipods with 3000. Thing is, I prefer to not plug myself in wherever I go.

JediKirby

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-07-20, 10:07 AM #17
Wow. So buying things not necessary for life = having no morals? Right.

Good for you. Thank you for informing us of that. Run along now.

My friend is getting one and I must say, they are quite nifty...not my kind of thing, I don't have enough music, or enough money. Hah.

------------------
WOOSH|-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-07-20, 10:16 AM #18
I'll always stick with Creative for MP3 players. I love mine [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-20, 10:35 AM #19
Quote:
I just spent 1500 on a new computer, and put the rest of my money in the bank, all 3000 of it. I could get quite a few ipods with 3000. Thing is, I prefer to not plug myself in wherever I go.
JediKirby
</font>

I have an idea, how about you donate some of that money. Im sure you wont be needing $3,000 soon, but I know that a soup kitchen or something could use just a little bit. Even $20 would be fine.

------------------
2004-07-20, 10:57 AM #20
Quote:
Outrageous prices. CDs can be burned. How long are you REALLY away from the computer, stereo, or car radio that you need to spend 300 dollars to cary around a 3 by 2 inch piece of plastic with a dail on it with a bunch of songs on it? Really now, people in 3rd world countries wish they had portable meals, and you've got a freaking portable tower records store. There's something wrong with that.

JediKirby

</font>

God you are so damn true

------------------
"Whats your name"
Cody
"No, whats your real name"
Arkon............
Proud member of the Co-op
Flipsides crackers are the best crackers to have ever existed
2004-07-20, 11:47 AM #21
12 hour battery life sounds nice, but then again, we're supposed to be getting 8 hours of the current generation, and I'm only getting 4 - And that's when I'm playing by their rules, ie. no backlight, no skipping around from song to song, etc.. 4 gets me through a day though, sometimes two, and I just recharge it when I sleep.

How on earth does the new click-wheel work? I'm assuming all of the function buttons require you to hold them down for a bit, so that you don't accidentally hit them while using the click-wheel? Hardly seems like a good system to me. It actually kind of worries me, because if my iPod's battery dies, I don't *want* to upgrade to this thing.
2004-07-20, 11:57 AM #22
Creative Jukebox Zen

Best. MP3 PLAYER. EVAR.

------------------

"Bantha's are filthy animals.......I don't eat filthy animals."

"Laugh it up Fuzzball!"
-Han Solo
2004-07-20, 12:11 PM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MBeggar:
Quote:
Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:
I just spent 1500 on a new computer, and put the rest of my money in the bank, all 3000 of it. I could get quite a few ipods with 3000. Thing is, I prefer to not plug myself in wherever I go.
JediKirby
</font>

I have an idea, how about you donate some of that money. Im sure you wont be needing $3,000 soon, but I know that a soup kitchen or something could use just a little bit. Even $20 would be fine.
[/B]

Actually, believe it or not, I donate 1000 dollars a year of my money to a few different groups in my area, at least I try to. I've missed a few years of hard times.

I just think the iPod is silly in the fact that it's 400 dollars for what little it does. I would expect my iPod to get me off, whipe my butt, and brush my teeth, all underwater, at the same time, while playing whichever song I'm thinking of at that particular moment. The only way I could see getting one, is if I were going on an extended trip to a tropical island, or some other less populated area, where it's mundain to stop and get out of the jeap and take out a few CDs every 20 minutes. That's when music calms you, or something. The army would be another good idea, but about the only time of day when I don't have direct access to music is when I'm at school, working, on the bus, or taking a leak.

JediKirby

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-07-20, 12:22 PM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Trigger Happy Chewie:
Creative Jukebox Zen

Best. MP3 PLAYER. EVAR.
</font>

So True [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-20, 12:36 PM #25
god i never realized these things were way up in the multiple hundreds of dollars... that's ridiculous!

I still want one, but i'm NEVER going to pay 300 or 400 bucks for one! good lord.

------------------
Saberopus: omfq musical genuis j00 >mozart
Thrawn42689: Mozart = n00b
2004-07-20, 1:40 PM #26
The iPod only gets 8 hours if that? Wow I wouldn't buy it if I could. I mean you should be getting 10+ on a Lithium Ion. Give me Creative/iRiver or give me death!

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-20, 1:58 PM #27
Bah, the Karma gets 16 hours from its battery.

------------------
2004-07-20, 2:02 PM #28
I could use it as a portable HD for Unreal tournament 2004.

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
"Judging by the name of the author, and the name of the work, I'd guess it's an energy "beam". You know, like in the Japanese cartoons where those guys with big hair fly around, talk philosophy, and shoot fireballs at each other." - Hellequin
*insert some joke about pasta and fruit scuffles*
2004-07-20, 2:37 PM #29
Quote:
I would expect my iPod to get me off, whipe my butt, and brush my teeth, all underwater, at the same time, while playing whichever song I'm thinking of at that particular moment. </font>

Wow, that sounds kind of kinky...

------------------
"May your gravity well be shallow, and your deBroglie wavelength short."
Stuff
2004-07-20, 2:42 PM #30
exactly.

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-07-20, 2:43 PM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Schming:

I have a Best Buy PSP on my iPod that I bought just for the purpose that when the next gens came out or my battery died I could just go swap it out. It's good for $299, so I'll be doing that in the next year I guess.

</font>

Same here. I did my research, and I knew I would need a warranty. My battery is nearing death, so I can't wait to swap it for the new model.

Quote:

Nonsensical jabbering.

</font>

Like Schming said, it's more than a music player... it's a way to organize your life. Almost like a PDA or PocketPC, it organizes and helps you. Also, music is a huge part of my life, so I love to listen to my collection everywhere I go. It's incredibly convenient carrying all of my CDs everywhere I go. It sounds like you don't care about music that much, but I (and most iPod/hard drive-based MP3 players owners) do. I don't see why you're so pissed about a music player.

------------------
Space Colony Inc. Phoenix Suburban City Dereliction
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2004-07-20, 3:42 PM #32
I know, granted it'd be a bit bigger, that I could make the exact same thing with a few spare parts I have in my room, and it'd be free. A shiney metal case and a few advancements in size cannot be worth the 400 dollars they try to get you to buy them for.

JediKirby

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-07-20, 5:11 PM #33
The 300 dollars you pay for the 20 gig model, btw, is actually really cheap. If it were all RAM it'd be in the tens of thousands, maybe even hundreds. But still the technology of a hard drive THAT small that doesn't get headcrashes, and the software, and the compatibility and everything about the iPod is what drives it to its price of 300 dollars. If I had it, I'd gladly pay it. <3 Music, and for Whelly, <3 Ska [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-20, 8:42 PM #34
I dont understand why you would buy an iPod for that much, and use it just for playing music. You would never EVER listen to that much music. It would take something like 3 months continious listening!

------------------
Founder of the Massassi Brute Squad (MBS)

B'tduz: A popular dwarfish game which consists of standing a few feet apart and throwing large rocks at one another's head.

"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!" - His Grace His Excellency the Duke of Ankh, Commander Sir Samuel Vimes.

Morituri Nolumus Mori
Founder of the Massassi Brute Squad (MBS)
Morituri Nolumus Mori
2004-07-20, 8:42 PM #35
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
The 300 dollars you pay for the 20 gig model, btw, is actually really cheap. If it were all RAM it'd be in the tens of thousands, maybe even hundreds. But still the technology of a hard drive THAT small that doesn't get headcrashes, and the software, and the compatibility and everything about the iPod is what drives it to its price of 300 dollars. If I had it, I'd gladly pay it. <3 Music, and for Whelly, <3 Ska [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

</font>

We've been making laptop harddrives for years on end now.

------------------
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation...
2004-07-20, 8:52 PM #36
Quote:
I don't mean that we should go save a bunch of people in another country, I'm just compairing and contrasting. I think people's morals have gotten lost in gadgets and all that good stuff. </font>

How about you set a fine example and sell your computer. I'm sure you could save nigeria with that money!

------------------
2004-07-20, 8:54 PM #37
Uh, Nigeria is always trying to give *me* money...

------------------
"Look at me! I'm Tracer! BLAHBLAHBLAH!"

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-07-20, 10:26 PM #38
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Farix:
We've been making laptop harddrives for years on end now.

</font>

Laptop Harddrives are bigger than iPod hard drives. Also--Kirby, just because YOU aren't a music fanatic doesn't mean others aren't. I personally think that without music, life wouldn't be worth living. Music is the spice of life for me. It's most of what I live for, that next synchronous note, that slightly off-key hum that reminds me of the beautiful compositions stored on my hard drive.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-21, 6:34 AM #39
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tracer:
Uh, Nigeria is always trying to give *me* money...</font>

Classic. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

Anyway, the Dell Digital Jukebox > j00.

------------------
"Why aren't I'm using at these pictures?" - Cloud, 4/14/02
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2004-07-21, 10:20 AM #40
I'll admit I want the Dell Digital Jukebox and the Dell Axim.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!