Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The Wizard is Angry.
The Wizard is Angry.
2004-07-21, 12:28 PM #1
Ok, someone PLEASE teach me how to explain the fact that CRT monitors left on, waste power. It is apparent that my dad's s/o doesn't comprehend this fact. She leaves the monitor on. But here's the kicker, I change the power settings in control panel to have the monitor turn off after 20 minutes. She changes it back to 3 hours. I am not kidding you all one bit. And this has been an on going battle. I come home and I see dad's monitor left on wasting power and eating $$$. This happened yesterday too, I changed the settings, and they were changec back. I can only come to one of two conclusions. One, her mental capacity isn't what I would call typical. Two, she is doing this purposefully to anger me, or for some spiteful purpose.

I'm not doing this just because I can or I want to (sort of). I am trying to save my dad MONEY! And she is not helping me here.

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/mad.gif]

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-07-21, 12:32 PM #2
Maybe she's just naturally stupid.

Is there a way to password protect the power settings?

------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
"Massassi's cuttin' into my free time, man."

Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-21, 12:34 PM #3
Punch her in the throat. You save money, and she's no longer wasting our oxygen.

------------------
Roach - Caught in the war of hemispheres.
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-07-21, 12:35 PM #4
so here's what you do. You create a superadmin account on the PC using your dad's existing Admin account. You then lower his settings to the point where he can install and run whatever software he wants, but system settings are locked. You then go through the superadmin account and set the time to whatever you want, and she's SOL on changing it back. Then they ask you why it won't work, and you say because I don't want it to work. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-07-21, 12:37 PM #5
Have GBK write a program that causes goatse to appear on the monitor when she changes the settings. That'll put a stop to things *real* quick. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-21, 12:40 PM #6
Create seperate accounts for everyone and restrict her access to system settings?

Or get someone to write you a program to reset it to 20 minutes everytime the computer boots.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-07-21, 12:42 PM #7
try buying a monitor that isn't an energy hog

------------------
Kieran: The reason I put a link to it is because she is in underwear and I know the admins are touchy on that.
Yecti: Jaiph will touch himself for hours if he so much as smells a woman's underwear
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-07-21, 12:42 PM #8
no say its a glitch...or a virus...or bill gates actualy trieing to safe someones money[whens gbk gonna come in and say some linux crap...]linux ssucks seriosly!do a google search on linux sucks and see

------------------
It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed.
When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.
Join the Army, Go to distant lands, meet interesting people, kill them!

Don't draw fire, it irritates the people around you.
Intel: We put the 'um...' in Pentium

[This message has been edited by imsoshort (edited July 21, 2004).]
2004-07-21, 12:43 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:
Create seperate accounts for everyone and restrict her access to system settings?

Or get someone to write you a program to reset it to 20 minutes everytime the computer boots.
</font>

That would be a good idea (latter one) but the computer is hardly if ever turned off. Like I said, it operates as the fax machine. But I should do the superuser access.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-07-21, 12:50 PM #10
You did talk and explain it to her?

------------------
"Music is the universal language and the
dialect we speak in is Hip Hop!" - King Solomon
2004-07-21, 1:17 PM #11
I was sent these links regarding power consumption of CRT monitors and PCs. Interesting reads especially the ones from dansdata.com. I want to say that they support my claims of monitors draining power although not as much power as I suspect.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=50&threadid=1349489&enterthread=y
http://www.dansdata.com/power.htm
http://www.dansdata.com/power2.htm
http://www.pcguide.com/care/care/compMonitors-c.html

And yes I did talk to her directly about it.

------------------
2004-07-21, 1:38 PM #12
I read somewhere once that with all the power wasted by monitors being left on all over the US in a year, it would total something like 11 billion kw/hour, or enough money to power a million households for a year.

------------------
ZGPC

[This message has been edited by finity5 (edited July 21, 2004).]
2004-07-21, 1:46 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by imsoshort:
linux ssucks seriosly!do a google search on linux sucks and see</font>

You obviously don't know what you are talking about [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-21, 1:46 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gandalf1120:
And yes I did talk to her directly about it.</font>

What was her defence about changing the settings? this should be interesting...

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²[/i]
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-07-21, 1:48 PM #15
kill her.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-07-21, 2:53 PM #16
I'm working at an elementary school this summer, and I swear every single monitor in the whole school gets left on 27/7 unless the machine gets unplugged. Is it that hard to push that little button?

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-07-21, 3:07 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bobbert006:
I'm working at an elementary school this summer, and I swear every single monitor in the whole school gets left on 27/7 unless the machine gets unplugged. Is it that hard to push that little button?</font>

27/7???

What kind of crazy measurement of time are you using? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
This post was proudly brought to you by KegZ™ - Now with 38% more Spam

[This message has been edited by KegZ (edited July 21, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by KegZ (edited July 21, 2004).]
Rock is dead - but I believe in necrophilia.
2004-07-21, 3:09 PM #18
Its like 24/7, only more emphatic.

------------------
-Outlaw Star
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
A Knight's Tail
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2004-07-21, 3:38 PM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Noble Outlaw:
Its like 24/7, only more emphatic.

</font>

Exactly! I meant to write it that way. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-07-21, 3:54 PM #20
Thought this was some gauntlet thread...

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought out "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of the hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts who bought our "Easy Sky Diving" book, please make the following correction: on page 8, line 7, the words "state zip code" should have read "pull rip cord."
2004-07-21, 3:57 PM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by finity5:
I read somewhere once that with all the power wasted by monitors being left on all over the US in a year, it would total something like 11 billion kw/hour, or enough money to power a million households for a year.

</font>

Not if the households have CRT monitors. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------

Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-21, 4:16 PM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DogSRoOL:
Have GBK write a program that causes goatse to appear on the monitor when she changes the settings. That'll put a stop to things *real* quick. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]</font>

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]
No sig.
2004-07-21, 4:16 PM #23
sounds like the wizard is actually pissed off. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
changing your computer settings would piss me off too.

------------------
Pissed off?
2004-07-21, 4:53 PM #24
sure it wastes power, but not that much.. i wouldn't make such a big deal out of it .

------------------
What once was...
2004-07-21, 6:39 PM #25
What's an s/o? Sadistic Orderly? Satanic Owl?
2004-07-21, 7:43 PM #26
significant other

oh and do what yecti said

------------------
http://www.sporkaudio.com
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2004-07-22, 4:18 AM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Roach:
Punch her in the throat. You save money, and she's no longer wasting our oxygen.

</font>

Sounds like a hell of deal.

------------------
Its peanut butter jelly time!
My Personal Site | Remnant Temple Part A | A work in progress
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2004-07-23, 9:31 AM #28
An update:

I'm not going to reason with them now. If they want the power wasted, their problem now. I try to be helpful and I'm told stop. Well to hell with them.

Oooh ooh. Wanna know the kicker? I know if I leave a light on unintentionally, I will get told about it. The ideology of "do as I say, not as I do" is rank in this family. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/mad.gif]

------------------
2004-07-23, 10:55 AM #29
Quote:
An update:

I'm not going to reason with them now. If they want the power wasted, their problem now. I try to be helpful and I'm told stop. Well to hell with them.

Oooh ooh. Wanna know the kicker? I know if I leave a light on unintentionally, I will get told about it. The ideology of "do as I say, not as I do" is rank in this family. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/mad.gif]

</font>

Move out.

------------------
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation...
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation...
2004-07-23, 5:40 PM #30
Is the superuser account still an option? If they ask you about it you could just tell them they broke it and you don't know how to fix it...or something. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged

Banks and banks of humming machinery! I've never seen so many knobs. We're going to have to do something, Charlie! Try pushing that button there. No? How about that one? No, not that one either. I know! I'll try pushing this one. Hold my hat will you? Good fellow.
2004-07-23, 7:22 PM #31
Thrawn... that would be dishonest.

------------------
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2004-07-23, 7:22 PM #32
Quote:
I'm not going to reason with them now. If they want the power wasted, their problem now. I try to be helpful and I'm told stop. Well to hell with them.</font>
I hope you called them morons, and used the F word frequently.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Oooh ooh. Wanna know the kicker? I know if I leave a light on unintentionally, I will get told about it. The ideology of "do as I say, not as I do" is rank in this family.</font>
Throw it in their faces. And don't forget to call them hypocrites... and be sure use the F word frequently.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited July 23, 2004).]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-23, 7:29 PM #33
...DogSRoOL, that would be obscene and disrespectful.

*enjoys his new position as moral advisor*

------------------

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2004-07-23, 7:29 PM #34
Quote:
An update:

</font>

Jsu to ask, who told you to leave it alone? your dad od the woman? if its your dad, that sucks. if it the s/o, then go talk to your dad about it. If you explain it well to him, he should beable to get her to understand. may.

------------------
-Outlaw Star
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
A Knight's Tail
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2004-07-23, 7:34 PM #35
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
...DogSRoOL, that would be obscene and disrespectful.
</font>

But hilarious. If only I could watch. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited July 23, 2004).]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-23, 7:35 PM #36
Noble Outlaw, that would be conniving and manipulative.

------------------

2004-07-23, 7:54 PM #37
No. It wouldn't.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-07-23, 7:55 PM #38
Avenger, that comment was negative and argumentative.

------------------

2004-07-23, 7:57 PM #39
Yes. It was.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-07-23, 8:05 PM #40
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Noble Outlaw:
Jsu to ask, who told you to leave it alone? your dad od the woman? if its your dad, that sucks. if it the s/o, then go talk to your dad about it. If you explain it well to him, he should beable to get her to understand. may.
</font>

It was the woman. She lives there yet my life is dictacted from there. Sorry, that's not how it works. You live here, then you have some power. But you live there, ergo no power. But I found out that dad doesn't like the monitor going off every 20 minutes so it's 2 against 1. Like I said, screw it. I'm dealing with stubbornness and ignorance, very dangerous combination. I've tried to explain to her that leaving it on is like consuming a 100W light-bulb. Soon I hope it will be financially feasable to move out. Right now it is not, much to my chagrin.

Oh well.

------------------

↑ Up to the top!