Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The Wizard is Angry.
The Wizard is Angry.
2004-07-23, 8:06 PM #41
Sarn, your comment was...
uh... well I can't think of anything...
But take this!
/slaps Sarn in the face with a trout.

------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
"Massassi's cuttin' into my free time, man."

Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited July 23, 2004).]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-23, 8:07 PM #42
Avenger, that comment was falsly affirming and insincere.

(come on, work with me here)

------------------
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2004-07-23, 8:08 PM #43
DogSRoOL, that action was violent and abusive.

------------------

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2004-07-23, 8:10 PM #44
GUYS! STOP!

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-07-23, 8:10 PM #45
/hits Sarn with a DVD player

------------------

Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-23, 8:11 PM #46
He started it.

<.<
>.>

------------------

Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-23, 8:18 PM #47
Gandalf1120, your all caps is unnecessary and rude.

DogSRoOL, your attempt to blame-shift is childish and uncalled for...

Errm.. Ok, sorry, I'll quit. I just couldn't resist that last one. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------

2004-07-24, 2:15 PM #48
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gandalf1120:
It was the woman. She lives there yet my life is dictacted from there. Sorry, that's not how it works. You live here, then you have some power. But you live there, ergo no power. But I found out that dad doesn't like the monitor going off every 20 minutes so it's 2 against 1. Like I said, screw it. I'm dealing with stubbornness and ignorance, very dangerous combination. I've tried to explain to her that leaving it on is like consuming a 100W light-bulb. Soon I hope it will be financially feasable to move out. Right now it is not, much to my chagrin.

Oh well.
</font>

If you aren't paying the electric bill then I can't see where you're going with this.

------------------
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation...
2004-07-24, 3:00 PM #49
I suppose it should matter not one bit to me. So I suppose the obvious question is why am I getting so worked up about it and leave my dad and other alone?

I don't know.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-07-24, 3:41 PM #50
Maybe you're frustrated because you figured youe dad would be happy that you tried to help him out but instead you get the opposite reaction. You also figured that since you're right and your logic is sound that others should follow but they don't. This can easily cause the frustration because you're failing to get any of the expected results; no one else is acting rationally. It makes you wonder if acting rational has any meaning in this world.

Just a thought... I'm bored.
2004-07-24, 4:45 PM #51
Electric bill? I'd be more worried about burning the house down. CRTs aren't nearly as problematic as they were years ago, but an exploding capacitor can easily start a fire. My dad had a really nice 17" monitor that suddenly went up in smoke when he was using it a few weeks ago.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-07-25, 8:18 PM #52
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:
Electric bill? I'd be more worried about burning the house down. CRTs aren't nearly as problematic as they were years ago, but an exploding capacitor can easily start a fire. My dad had a really nice 17" monitor that suddenly went up in smoke when he was using it a few weeks ago.

</font>

Not plausible. Too many large office buildings packed wall to wall with ancient CRT monitors fail to burn down year after year. Freak happenings are no justification for a needless angst fueled rant about a rule laid down in thier own parent's house.

------------------
2004-07-25, 8:47 PM #53
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Farix:
Not plausible. Too many large office buildings packed wall to wall with ancient CRT monitors fail to burn down year after year. Freak happenings are no justification for a needless angst fueled rant about a rule laid down in thier own parent's house.

</font>

Angst? ANGST? Where the **** are you coming up with ANGST? He's just pissed. If he was angsty he'd be acting like a 12 year old. "OMG WRLD IS AGNST ME I HATE MI LFE KLL ME PLZ" That's angst.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-25, 9:50 PM #54
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Farix:
</font>

Logic flaw. Office buildings packed "wall-to-wall" of ancient CRTs are not plugged in. The capacitors are discharged. And if ones were left charged, are probably not charged now.

And Farix, there is no specific rule laid down. My father did not stand up and decry "THOU SHALT NOT TURN OFF MINE MONITOR." Dad and said woman are just being lazy...and stubborn.

And yeah, I'm just mad. Yes I don't pay the electric bill. Does that mean I should leave every light, motor, computer and monitor running simultaneously 24/7/365(6)? After all, I don't pay the electric bill. No. I try to keep the power usage to a minimum. I'm trying to save $$$. I am at least trying to make my dad's financial situation easier by (although it is small) keeping his monitor powered down. I'm not screaming "OMG MY DAD IZ LEIK SO STOOPD! I HAT HIM!11" That's angsty. I'm "Damnit dad! I'm trying to help you here. Work with me now!"

------------------
2004-07-26, 12:09 AM #55
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gandalf1120:
Logic flaw. Office buildings packed "wall-to-wall" of ancient CRTs are not plugged in. The capacitors are discharged. And if ones were left charged, are probably not charged now.</font>

Logic flaw? Who mentioned having monitors not being plugged in? I certainly didn't. Fact is many companies leave computers and monitors on even when no one is using the machine.

Not really trying to be down on you here (unlike how I normally approach things [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] ) but you say you are trying to help his financial situation but he doesn't want your help. To this you've threatened moving out, which I did make a passing remark about earlier in the thread. What that really boils down to is that nothing you have said really fits with this mentality. In fact everything seems to point to a sort of revenge plot against your father's female-in-question. As long as you don't pay the bills he has the right to burn all the electricity he wants.

If his power consumption, however, prevents him from putting food in your mouth and clothes on your back; Then I can see why you might be a little upset.

Are you being fed and clothed? Are you forced to pay the bills?

Do you pay the rent?

------------------
2004-07-26, 8:00 AM #56
Oh so he should just ignore that his FATHER WHO SPAWNED AND RAISED HIM is wasting money which is one of the most precious things in this day and age? Gotcha.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-26, 10:18 AM #57
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Oh so he should just ignore that his FATHER WHO SPAWNED AND RAISED HIM is wasting money which is one of the most precious things in this day and age? Gotcha.

</font>

Water?

------------------
2004-07-26, 10:24 AM #58
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
Avenger, that comment was falsly affirming and insincere.

(come on, work with me here)

</font>

Make me [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-07-26, 10:57 AM #59
Offices usually configure their machines to automatically shut off the monitor after 20-30 minutes of use. My school does this, my dad's office did this, most places I've been to do this. If not for safety then for the electric bill, so no, CRTs are not running 24/7 in most office buildings.

------------------
2004-07-26, 11:16 AM #60
I've seen some dumb people in school when it comes to computers. They assume that because the monitor is off, the computer MUST be off.

That doesn't really have to do with anything here...

------------------
cuttin' into my free time, man."

Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-26, 11:28 AM #61
Ok. She is...let's say not on my best of sides right now. But I think Jedi_Legend said it best about my frustration. I offer to help dad out and didn't seem appreciative about it (this isn't the first time parent[s] didn't appreciate my efforts, BTW). And, well, that bothers me. Which I'm sure is understandable.

Yoshi: I appreciate the setiment. But, I wouldn't exactly call electricity the most precious things this day. It is important and it does cost $$ though.

------------------
2004-07-26, 11:37 AM #62
I was talking about $$.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-26, 11:53 AM #63
Who cares.

Seriously, who cares. In the long run, it probably doesn't cost a whole lot to leave it on.

The only thing it *will* do is decrease the life of the monitor... and really, once again, who cares. Better to have it the way you want than constantly worry about it.

------------------
Ω of 14
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[

↑ Up to the top!