Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What is the point of another Jedi Knight game?
What is the point of another Jedi Knight game?
2004-07-26, 9:42 AM #1
What is the point of another Jedi Knight game? The series was an FPS featuring the jedi with sabers and guns. The problem is that the community splits up into sabers and gunners. Most of the saberists stayed back with JO while the gunners moved to JA or left the whole series. Soon Battlefront and Republic Commando will dominate Star Wars shooters while KOTOR already has popularity as a jedi game. With evolving rifts, is there a future for Jedi Knight?

------------------
Multiplayer Game Alias: II88BlackOps
UT2k4 is awesome!
Corrupted Paths, my dead WIP for JA. Screens here: http://imagebase.freewebspace.com/photo.html

My quote: "People choose to side with the left, and the others choose to side with the right. I go forward."
2004-07-26, 9:44 AM #2
Well, I don't care what everyone else does, I play games if they're fun. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-07-26, 9:45 AM #3
they can't continue it like they have from JK to JO to JA. It's obviously not working.

------------------
Saberopus: omfq musical genuis j00 >mozart
Thrawn42689: Mozart = n00b
2004-07-26, 11:12 AM #4
Odd... I thought JO was more for gunners and JA was more for saberists? Maybe the siege mode might have made you think other wise. I say that because whenever I played JO MP, most people still use their guns but in JA MP, most people sticked with their sabers.

Anyway, as I see it, the series seem to have ran out of steam at this point. Kyle is a old man now and the Jaden bit can't really evolve too much because the character is so generic. I think that maybe LEC should start a whole new series for their Star Wars FPS series. With BattleFront and Republic Commando on the horizon, those might make good replacements for the JK series. If we really want the DF series to continue, I'd say they should make some kind of prequel to Dark Forces so we can still play as Kyle Katarn but without the Jedi stuff in the way.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://geocities.com/savagex378
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-07-26, 11:15 AM #5
The last JK game should be when Kyle is 87 years old where he has to face danger in his travels of the galaxy to find the magical land of Canada to get cheaper drugs.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

--------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info

[This message has been edited by Echoman (edited July 26, 2004).]
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-07-26, 11:20 AM #6
Agreed Echoman, agreed.

<-Ironically, I too am a "Jedi Knight". Where's my damned game based on my adventurous life, huh? Stupid Kyle hoggin' the spotlight.

------------------
[insert various humourous anecdotes here]

[This message has been edited by Insipid (edited July 26, 2004).]
2004-07-26, 11:20 AM #7
Or they make a prequel game using kyle and its all guns

------------------
www.oxyonagon.com
nope.
2004-07-26, 11:23 AM #8
or scrap the whole kyle/jedi thing, and instead have you play through a series of campaigns as a mere typical soldier on the rebel or imperial side. You start at the academy (or in the case of the rebels, wherever they train at) and as the game goes on you get promoted and rise higher in rank.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-07-26, 11:25 AM #9
That's what you sort of can do in SWG, except SWG is mind-numbingly boring.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
2004-07-26, 11:29 AM #10
I hope they never make another Jedi Knight game ever.

I want another Dark Forces game. I really hope Republic Commando doesn't suck.
2004-07-26, 11:29 AM #11
I think people are becoming jaded on SW games in general. Developers are throwing out game after game of things that have been done a million times already. These new games can't hold a candle to the classics.

Battlefront, although it looks to be fun, is basically the Battlefield games on steroids. There's nothing wrong with that, and there may very well be a few new and interesting ideas there, but 90% of it has been done already. If it's fun, people will play it, but as we all know, it's the hardcore gaming community that keeps a game going, and if the gameplay is anything less than perfect, like JO/JA, people are going to move on quickly. Many of these hardcore gamers could give a rats *** about SW. In the end, it comes down to gameplay, and that's why JO/JA have failed in the long run.

------------------
www.MentatMM.com (status = down :/)
Napalm Death Squad (status = alpha)
2004-07-26, 11:43 AM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jon`C:
I really hope Republic Commando doesn't suck.</font>

Haha, and Episode III won't suck either. :P

------------------
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2004-07-26, 12:31 PM #13
I think there while be Room for another JK Game,

But not for a few years (atleast 3)
2004-07-26, 12:34 PM #14
Quote:
I want another Dark Forces game.</font>

Oh please yes. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

(And I don't want to hear about how JK was another Dark Forces game.)
2004-07-26, 2:06 PM #15
I want a game where you play as jan and that doesn't involve some really stupid plot about jedi.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-07-26, 2:40 PM #16
That's a good idea, actually (to Flexor).
You could no more evade my wrath than you could your own shadow.
2004-07-26, 2:47 PM #17
Quote:
I hope they never make another Jedi Knight game ever.

I want another Dark Forces game. I really hope Republic Commando doesn't suck.
</font>

We can always hope, but the fact that it's being developed for consoles as well doen't give me a lot of hope. I'm more than willing to be suprised though.

I really hope Battlfront is fun. I like the Battlefield series, so if the gamepley is anything like that, I'll be playing for sure.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-07-26, 2:54 PM #18
I agree with playing games because they're fun.

Why do we have user titles?

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-07-26, 3:06 PM #19
I wouldn't mind a prequel based before Jedi Outcast that takes place right after Jedi Knight or MotS. Since Kyle at some point during that gives up his Jedi side, it could be more like Dark Forces with maybe a little force influence.

I'm getting tired though of the constant need Lucasarts feels to put in Jedi/Sith plotlines even when the story doesn't call for it. Best example is Bounty Hunter, why oh why did they have to throw that Sith witch into the plot for it? There is no way Jango should've been able to win against her.

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-07-26, 4:06 PM #20
I want a game that has JK's gameplay and JO\JA's graphics.

------------------
Kill Your Idols!
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-07-26, 4:14 PM #21
I want a game that has JO/JA graphics and JK's gamaplay and editing capabilities.

------------------
Massassi - Muh-Sah-See
2004-07-26, 4:18 PM #22
Personally, i think it would be best to either put the original Lucasarts team back in the saddle for the next JK-series game (if it ever comes), or eliminate development studios alltogether. Personally, I've had ambitions for a couple of years of working on a TC [cough, cough]... ok, mod for one of the 3 primary next-gen engines: Unreal 2.0 (either UT2k4 or Republic Commando), Doom 3 (depending on engine efficiency), or Half-Life 2 (depending on release date). Unfortunately, i'm not a coder. I'm a mapper thats starting to get into modeling. Maybe i'll bring this up again in a year or so, when my skills have gotten good enough to attempt something of that size.

Back to the real discussion: JO was pathetic. I have not yet found a Star Wars game with more mediocre and slow gameplay or redundant and stupid puzzles (perfect example being parts of the base from the Kejim map). Aside from the saber system (JA had the best developer-side system in my oppinion), JK is still by far the best for storyline, and level design (huge sparwling complexes that render quickly and efficiently, even on old generation systems that predate my last computer (a 333 Celeron [sudders])).

------------------
"Iraqniphobia - The fear of non-existant weapons of mass-destruction."
50000 episodes of badmouthing and screaming like a constipated goat cant be wrong. - Mr. Stafford
2004-07-26, 4:32 PM #23
JK had the best storyline??

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

--------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-07-26, 4:33 PM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Echoman:
JK had the best storyline??

</font>

Ok, perhaps not from the point of view of an RPG gamer, but it had the type of storyline that most related to the format of the classic trillogy films.

------------------
"Iraqniphobia - The fear of non-existant weapons of mass-destruction."
50000 episodes of badmouthing and screaming like a constipated goat cant be wrong. - Mr. Stafford
2004-07-26, 5:02 PM #25
I thought JK's storyline was lame. What made it even lamer was that Kyle simply just found a lightsaber from his father's droid and POW - he is a Jedi.

-- SavageX

------------------

[This message has been edited by SavageX378 (edited July 26, 2004).]
2004-07-26, 5:17 PM #26
Well that was better than JA's story line. JA was so predictable, simlistic and unorriganal it was stupid. The lines made it sound like it was part of a preachy adventure cartoon for 8 year olds. That kinda ruined JA for me.
2004-07-26, 5:30 PM #27
Yeah, JA had a lot of problems.
But I will always love it for the sabre styles. JA was definitely all about the sabres.

------------------
I AM NOT SKOOJ!!!
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2004-07-26, 5:38 PM #28
LEC's titles, particularly the SW ones, used to really stand out as high quality. They simply only released awesome games. That just isn't the case anymore.

I did like JO. The gun aspect was ackward but they fluidity of saber fights made up for that. I have yet to play JA. I messed with the XBox demo for about five minutes and wasn't inspired.

------------------
Have you forgotten ...
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2004-07-26, 6:51 PM #29
I didn't think Dark Forces was all that great. None of the LEC FPS games have been blindingly good. JK I'd rate as the best mainly because it tried to do a lot of new things(and succeeded with at least some of them). Although it could still have done with a patch or two and a serious improvement to the netcode.
2004-07-26, 6:53 PM #30
It had 2 patches, they are just like impossible to find.

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º<) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º<)
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-26, 6:56 PM #31
I'm not sure if you're looking back at the games or if you were an avid gamer when those games were new. DF was far superior than it's Doom roots and was really only technically surpassed by Duke Nukem 3D and LECs own Outlaws before the big names made the move to 3D. JK was huge when it came out but was LECs last real jaunt with their own engine. JK and MotS were really the last real FPS games to come from traditional LEC roots.

------------------
Have you forgotten ...
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2004-07-26, 7:05 PM #32
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I wanna see a new star wars game - "Ewok Warrior" where you run around endor throwing spears at stormtroopers and AT-ST's who can't shoot straight.
2004-07-26, 7:09 PM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What is the point of another Jedi Knight game? </font>

To draw out money from the vast majority of SW gaming orientated consumer fanbase and the oh-so-misguided fps community, as much as possible.
2004-07-26, 7:10 PM #34
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GHORG:
I didn't think Dark Forces was all that great. None of the LEC FPS games have been blindingly good. JK I'd rate as the best mainly because it tried to do a lot of new things(and succeeded with at least some of them). Although it could still have done with a patch or two and a serious improvement to the netcode.</font>

Didn't like Dark Forces? Wow. It was great fun for its time.

The JK netcode is genious--I've had a 6-way PLUS game on Dial-Up alone, no broadband. And it was still fairly lagless. It may not be perfect, but hey, it worked before even 56k was the staple. 28.8k baby.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-26, 7:30 PM #35
Eh... not from my experience. I've always found JK to be freakishly lag-vulnerable.

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-07-26, 7:46 PM #36
I remember I would have trouble finding a low pinged JO server that supported guns since everyone set servers to "sabers only". Then some jerk in the game would complain that I was using "lame guns" and not fighting him with a saber.
2004-07-26, 7:52 PM #37
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
It is great fun.</font>

Fixed.

Oh, and as for the netcode... a few of us tried to play a game of Spork a few weeks ago. Like half of the people couldn't see another half of the people. It was horrible.
2004-07-26, 8:25 PM #38
I've played with 6 people at one time, I think I was the only one with 128 kbps broadband (more like 2x the speed of dial up), and it didn't lag much if at all. It was a great time.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-26, 9:54 PM #39
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fourwood:
Like half of the people couldn't see another half of the people. It was horrible.</font>

I've had that problem ever since I started playing JK and MotS. It's annoying.

------------------
GhostOfYoda - General doer of stuff.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2004-07-26, 10:11 PM #40
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SavageX378:
I thought JK's storyline was lame. What made it even lamer was that Kyle simply just found a lightsaber from his father's droid and POW - he is a Jedi.</font>

Was better than Barney on PMS...

------------------

↑ Up to the top!