Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I just realized something....
I just realized something....
2004-07-26, 5:12 PM #1
Most new MP games that we will be seeing in the next 3 years will be using the half life 2 Engine. Since Doom 3 has MP support only up to 4 people and Quake 4 will be made off of the Doom 3 engine, Half Life 2 will be the only MP engine left. Most people don't develop their own engines because it's too expensive. The Unreal 2 engine is just about obsolete, and Quake 3 won't be out for a long time, not to mention games being made for it. This means that almost all MP shooters mad in the next 3 years will be based off the HL2 engine. Weather your interested in HL2 or not it’s gonna have a big impact on your gaming life. No matter how good Doom 3’s graphics are, a 4 player TDM/DM multiplayer capability is going to sink it the long term. That kind of MP will stay alive for maybe 6 months.
2004-07-26, 5:15 PM #2
You do realize if a company buys the source code and license for the Doom 3 engine, they can add support for more players right?

Anyway, as for me, I just purchased a Torque license recently and am trying my best to figure out how it all works! So chances are anything you see comming out of me for the next couple of years will probably be on Torque. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-07-26, 5:16 PM #3
I really doubt it's that difficult to adapt an engine to support more than 4 players.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-07-26, 5:18 PM #4
4 player MP. Wow, that's like... crap. I'm sure they'll add more, but still. Doom 3 MP isn't going to go far.

------------------
ZGPC

[This message has been edited by finity5 (edited July 26, 2004).]
2004-07-26, 5:21 PM #5
That's what I thought at first too, but they sounded kinda skeptical of strong Multplayer expandibility from the articals I was reading. I figure if it could be done they would have done with the game origanally. No one releaces a game with 4 player DM/TDM now days, no one.
2004-07-26, 5:25 PM #6
Its only 4 player MP?
Well, its gonna suck MP then, unless its like, co-op, then it will rock rock rock!

------------------
I AM NOT SKOOJ!!!
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2004-07-26, 5:27 PM #7
Isn't co-op only on the xbox? Correct me if I am wrong, because I would LOVE co-op on the PC version.

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-26, 5:29 PM #8
Really? I had no clue that it only went up to 4 players? That's a drawback...

------------------
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-07-26, 5:32 PM #9
With 4-player mp, we're talking about the Beta here (played at last year's Quakecon). Though I suspect that similar (if not identical) numbers will be involved in MP, there was talk last year of expanding it to 8 players. I also remember reading that there will be co-op on the PC version.

------------------
"Iraqniphobia - The fear of non-existant weapons of mass-destruction."
50000 episodes of badmouthing and screaming like a constipated goat cant be wrong. - Mr. Stafford
2004-07-26, 5:34 PM #10
the engine allows for more but the game will be limited to 4

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-07-26, 5:36 PM #11
Well I do remember hearing Carmack say in a video that they put all their efforts towards the single player game. Didn't think they would neglect the MP that bad though.

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-26, 5:38 PM #12
co-op mode for pc? yes! yes! YES!
THERE IS A GOD! I REPENT MY ATHEISM!!
WOOOO!!!

------------------
I AM NOT SKOOJ!!!
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2004-07-26, 5:42 PM #13
Nobody officially said that...

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-26, 5:45 PM #14
All hope is lost. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-26, 5:51 PM #15
The Doom 3 game will only support 4 players, the engine however supports more (so other games using the engine and even D3 mods will support more players).

And I think I read somewhere that a co-op mod for D3 on the PC was already being planned.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-07-26, 6:09 PM #16
Am I the only person here who can honestly see himself NOT buying Doom 3?

It looks nice, yeah. But plot wise, it seems pretty lame to me. Like 20% of the game is that, and the other 80% is spent saving your butt and killing things. A few years ago, that was fine with me, but now... I want more depth than just that.

Granted, I'm somewhat ignorant on it as well since I've barely read anything about it.

But that's my stand.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-07-26, 6:13 PM #17
the single player was done by the people who did system shock 2...

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
2004-07-26, 6:16 PM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
Am I the only person here who can honestly see himself NOT buying Doom 3?</font>

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/eek.gif]
Yes, that or you are in a very, very small minority [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-26, 6:18 PM #19
i'm not buying it... yet

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif] damn computer

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
2004-07-26, 6:21 PM #20
Well, thats a better reason than "The plot is lame" [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-26, 6:41 PM #21
A better reason in who's eyes? Yours. I think it's plot is lame. I want some actual CONTENT in a game other then mindlessly blowing apart aliens, monsters, and demons.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2004-07-26, 6:45 PM #22
Quake 4...YUCK. Quake died for me after Quake 2. Quake single player was really where it was at. Quake 3 just raped Quake for me. I hated it. THAT IS MY OPINION, so don't "OMG WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT QUAKE 3 ROXORED YOUR STUPID! YOUR OPINION IS WRONG!!!"

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º<) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º<)
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-26, 6:47 PM #23
Ok, so i can't be right all the time (or 50% of the time, or 10% of the time.... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif])

Anyhow, I still plan on gettin Doom3 if only for the engine (hey that was my reason for running out and buying a new copy of Half-Life.... for mods of course. Then there was the fact that my friend lost my copy of HL which included my CD-Key before it really became important).

Doom3 also looks like it's gonna be a lot more plot-based than the original (there actually is a backstory that you go through). Also, it has some of the most frightening sequence i've ever seen in a game (pcgame mods has a collection of videos taped off of techtv, which include the marine trying to open the door, and then being surrounded by demon voices and a red haze (see the third vid in the techtv set).

Now that i've said my bid, i'll leave the rest of you to squabble [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
"Iraqniphobia - The fear of non-existant weapons of mass-destruction."
50000 episodes of badmouthing and screaming like a constipated goat cant be wrong. - Mr. Stafford
2004-07-26, 6:57 PM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
A better reason in who's eyes? Yours. I think it's plot is lame. I want some actual CONTENT in a game other then mindlessly blowing apart aliens, monsters, and demons.

</font>

Okay you don't know what you're talking about. The main part of the game is gameplay, and story, NOT blowing apart aliens. Jesus read up.

SAJN--Q4 is singleplayer based also, carrying on the Q2 storyline.

DOES NOBODY READ ANY ARTICLES?!

God.

DOOM 3 IS BASED ON STORY AND GAMEPLAY. NOT ON KILLING MONSTERS. ALSO THE ENGINE CAN SUPPORT AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE, BUT LOGICALLY, do you think today's COMPUTERS can? Now maybe somebody will get the ****in point that id's been trying to advocate for years.

Or maybe they'll still be ignorant. Yeah, probably the latter.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-26, 7:10 PM #25
The game looks like too much visuals, and not enough time spent on gameplay. A lot of gameplay videos just don't look all that interesting to me. Too thriller, not enough action. Thrillers suck.

JediKirby

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-07-26, 7:31 PM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:
Quake 4...YUCK. Quake died for me after Quake 2. Quake single player was really where it was at. Quake 3 just raped Quake for me. I hated it. THAT IS MY OPINION, so don't "OMG WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT QUAKE 3 ROXORED YOUR STUPID! YOUR OPINION IS WRONG!!!"

</font>

go check google for Q4 stuff nice concept sketches and a few screens of some of the models... you may even recognize some of the new versions of Q2 monsters like the parasite

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
2004-07-26, 7:40 PM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Okay you don't know what you're talking about. The main part of the game is gameplay, and story, NOT blowing apart aliens. Jesus read up.
</font>

Yeah, I think I kinda SAID THAT. I don't know exactly what I'm talking about because I don't really care that much about it. About 80% of what I know about the game comes from here. And most of that was just skimming the threads.

Now then. The trailer on the official site is all I've seen of actual gameplay. To me, it looks like Run and Gun. I'm not a fan of that any more. And the story? The story seemed weak to me.

I'm sorry, but from what I've skimmed, read, and seen, this game isn't my thing.

This is all beside the point really, I think I derailed the thread, and for that I am sorry.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
Last Stand
2004-07-26, 8:23 PM #28
This thread wasn't hard to derail, since it was based on fallacies in the first place. But trust me, I've seen all the videos and all the 'interactive' stuff and well...it's going to be about scaring you in thriller-manner and in psychological thriller-manner. I mean when you go into hell...that's going to be interesting.

------------------
There is no signature

[This message has been edited by Dj Yoshi (edited July 26, 2004).]
D E A T H
2004-07-26, 8:42 PM #29
I seriously, I mean seriously hope that game scares the **** outta me. If it doesn't I might have to get my money back [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
ZGPC

[This message has been edited by finity5 (edited July 26, 2004).]
2004-07-26, 8:45 PM #30
I'm going to have a hard time getting through it--hell HL gave me the heeby jeebies, and System Shock 2 made me crap my pants because the zombies just didn't stop coming.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-26, 10:31 PM #31
How about we play the game before judging it?

Oh I forgot, it's fun to insult what's popular.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-07-26, 10:49 PM #32
So true, so true...

------------------
Burrie - an old, pissed, dillusional, ghetto Scott-Dutchman with an Austrian accent
The answer is maybe.
2004-07-27, 5:55 AM #33
or.... maybe I'm just not all that impressed with the current video's? Well wait, the visuals are out of this world, it just seems a bit too slow paced for me as far as gameplay goes. Plus, those visuals are nice for the first week of playing, but after that, you don't really have time to stop and smell the roses, you're actually playing.

JediKirby

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-07-27, 7:44 AM #34
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:
or.... maybe I'm just not all that impressed with the current video's? Well wait, the visuals are out of this world, it just seems a bit too slow paced for me as far as gameplay goes. Plus, those visuals are nice for the first week of playing, but after that, you don't really have time to stop and smell the roses, you're actually playing.

JediKirby

</font>

I dunno about that. I got amazed by Deus Ex, and hell, still do. It's such an old engine, but pulls off all the details that make the game what it is so perfectly.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-27, 7:57 AM #35
The Doom storyline wasn't that bad. Yes, it did rely on the whole "forces of Hell" thing and "evil scientists" but it had more depth than other games of the era.

The storyline just required you to read. With your eyes.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-07-27, 8:03 AM #36
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
but it had more depth than other games of the era.

The storyline just required you to read. With your eyes.
</font>

Wrong, Strafe owned doom, in just about all ways.. and it came out around the same time(or atleast used the same engine)
2004-07-27, 8:07 AM #37
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Grim Zombie:
Wrong, Strafe owned doom, in just about all ways.. and it came out around the same time(or atleast used the same engine)</font>

Uh...so you're saying Doom's storyline sucked because another game had a better storyline. I'm missing something here. Maybe it's any validity that your post would/should have.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-27, 8:46 AM #38
Strife was and still is an incredible game. It took the DooM engine, made characters interactable, and was a nearly completely non-linear roleplaying game. I've got my copy on loan to a friend, and eagerly wait to get it back from him.

------------------
<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
<jipe> .. yes, Ubuu, we're racist commy nazi jews, and we hate male pattern baldness
<Professor`K> Sorry, but half-way through your logic, my head exploded
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-07-27, 8:57 AM #39
No, he's saying you're wrong about Doom having the best storyline as that other game was better.

------------------
Roach - Caught in the war of hemispheres.
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-07-27, 9:57 AM #40
Except nobody ever said it was the best. I'd take Deus Ex's storyline over Doom's any day.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!