Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → My latest purchase...
My latest purchase...
2007-11-11, 8:35 PM #81
waste of ammo and even a zombie torso with intact head can bite you and sometimes i question the removal of the head as a kill... i'd think given the way zombies are animated that the head could still "live" after being removed... it's just less of a threat... something you could keep in a jar on a shelf... maybe even sell ZOMBIE HEADS ONLY $29.95 GET YOURS TODAY!... anyway back to what i was saying

i always have to explain to people who think fire, grenades, machineguns, artillery, or grapeshot would be good for z-day just how wrong they are
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2007-11-11, 8:58 PM #82
Pffft, they can't crawl that fast if they're in pieces.

And they'll fit through the combine harvester easier that way.
2007-11-11, 9:36 PM #83
If I were to fight against zombies... I'd have the demoman from TF2 along side.

The portal gun would be fun though.
Back again
2007-11-11, 10:00 PM #84
I always wondered, Would fire actually hurt them? Or would it just give them a burnt flesh shield?
2007-11-11, 10:10 PM #85
Originally posted by Warlockmish:
If I were to fight against zombies... I'd have the demoman from TF2 along side.

The portal gun would be fun though.

explosives are not going to kill zombies and the noise will attract them from a greater distance than a few gunshots... the portal gun and a woodchipper... now that's an idea

Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
I always wondered, Would fire actually hurt them? Or would it just give them a burnt flesh shield?

fire would eventually kill a zombie by frying the brain but until then you have a mobile torch that is trying to get to it's food (you) this mobile torch can set other zombies on fire causing a massive problem with multiple mobile torches

fire is only useful for disposal of the undead
2007-11-11, 10:19 PM #86
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
It's a gun. It's entire PURPOSE is to commit atrocities.

No. Its purpose is to fling chunks of metal through the air really, really quickly. There's a big difference.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-11-11, 11:13 PM #87
Well, that gun from Minority Report where the gun that shoots the bulge of "air" which pushes people would be useful if zombies crowded you. I would also use a lightsaber too (I bet Yoda could take on a whole city of zombies).

In reality, you probably won't have much. I'd say tactics and skills is where it will count the most, but then again you would need firepower. I know they have incendiary rounds for the .50 BMG, but I'm not sure about .22's and other cartridges, but it would be useful against zombies.

Oh yeah, hollow point or ball? (which one if you are fighting zombies)
Back again
2007-11-12, 1:11 AM #88
the non leathal sci-fi gun from minority report would be extra weight and wouldn't kill the zombie... that extra weight would serve better as more ammo or supplies... .50BMG is a bad idea as well ammo is not easy to find so when you do come across a gunshop or sporting goods store (any place that would carry ammo) your chances of finding ammo are slim plus the rounds are heavy and the guns themselves are horribly large

incendiary rounds are not common and not even a good idea... read above about fire

hollow point or ball? doesn't matter if it's the right caliber for your weapon use it... military uses FMJ rounds because they are forced to... hollow points, soft points, even non jacketed lead bullets are illegal in war (which i find funny but let's stay away from that discussion)

and if you're worried about close combat with the undead a pistol works and if your chosen rifle can accept a bayonet i suggest you bring one

after a small bit of contemplation any reasonably accurate rifle in 7.62x39 or .308 would be best for ammunition availability a .22 would be ideal for zombies as ammunition is the most widely available but in case of living humans who might have gone insane as well as military and law enforcement personel who were turned while wearing some form of body armor or more specifically a helmet you'll want more power but since there are many light weight highly accurate .22s out there you may consider carrying a small .22 carbine or pistol along with the higher caliber weapons

poor jlee... he started a thread on his AR and we go and take a left turn into zombieland
2007-11-12, 6:20 AM #89
So, when do the Nazi's show up?
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2007-11-12, 1:43 PM #90
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
the non leathal sci-fi gun from minority report would be extra weight and wouldn't kill the zombie... that extra weight would serve better as more ammo or supplies... .50BMG is a bad idea as well ammo is not easy to find so when you do come across a gunshop or sporting goods store (any place that would carry ammo) your chances of finding ammo are slim plus the rounds are heavy and the guns themselves are horribly large

Now this depends, if you have a dug in position that is totally or near so secure, having a .50 may be a good idea. Especially if the virus/mutation/whatever is causing some zombies to be particularly vicious or strangely mutated, shielding their brain with excess bone. It is for this reason that grenades, artillery, and flame weapons would help. Consider also that most deaths from suicide bombers in malls and such are from the blast, the not shrapnel and such.

Quote:
hollow point or ball? doesn't matter if it's the right caliber for your weapon use it... military uses FMJ rounds because they are forced to... hollow points, soft points, even non jacketed lead bullets are illegal in war (which i find funny but let's stay away from that discussion)

This is important. Some weapons, especially pistols, feed one more reliably than the other. I think one of the important things is selecting a pistol that will fire both, than you can fire whichever you come across. However, bullets that break up more are more likely to desecrate the head when they strike bone.

Quote:
after a small bit of contemplation any reasonably accurate rifle in 7.62x39 or .308 would be best for ammunition availability a .22 would be ideal for zombies as ammunition is the most widely available but in case of living humans who might have gone insane as well as military and law enforcement personel who were turned while wearing some form of body armor or more specifically a helmet you'll want more power but since there are many light weight highly accurate .22s out there you may consider carrying a small .22 carbine or pistol along with the higher caliber weapons

IMO here is what I would carry (weapons, I have my entire loadout planned out. I **** you not, every purchase I make of military gear I take into consideration it's usefulness during the zombvie apocalypse);

Cricket Bat
POF P-416-9-PS4X-SF-223-OCC
POF P-308-20-MRR-CF-308 SPR
Glock 21 .45 ACP
Glock 36 9mm (still unsure on these glocks, I don't like the lack of manual safety but like the reliability)
Makarov Pistol (Uses 9x18 Makarov)
Ruger MkII OR 22/45 still working that one out with integral can.

The main thing here is ammunition variation.

Quote:
poor jlee... he started a thread on his AR and we go and take a left turn into zombieland

That's what Massassi is.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2007-11-12, 2:04 PM #91
Originally posted by Spook:
Now this depends, if you have a dug in position that is totally or near so secure, having a .50 may be a good idea. Especially if the virus/mutation/whatever is causing some zombies to be particularly vicious or strangely mutated, shielding their brain with excess bone. It is for this reason that grenades, artillery, and flame weapons would help. Consider also that most deaths from suicide bombers in malls and such are from the blast, the not shrapnel and such.

even with more bone any .30ish caliber rifle round is going to be able to penetrate into the brain... a .50 is overkill... zombies aren't going to be driving armored vehicles and i doubt you're going to be taking too many 2000 yard shots at zombies so the long range capabilities of the .50 are out

and again grenades, artillery, and ESPECIALLY FLAMES are bad ideas zombies are different from humans they feel no pain and weapons that would be effective against the living have to be reconsidered when dealing with the undead plus availability... artillery requires a fixed position and just makes way too much noise, grenades make way too much noise, fire is only to be used for disposal and only in the aftermath of an outbreak...
2007-11-12, 2:38 PM #92
Assuming they're shambler type zombies, I fail to see how having a fixed position is a bad idea, assuming you have plenty of supplies or can easily get them and are sufficiently entrenched behind razor wire, claymores, land mines, and earthen fortifications.
<Rob> This is internet.
2007-11-12, 2:49 PM #93
i already stated that artillery is a bad idea the fixed position issue is more for idiots who might think a mortar tube should be included in the gear they carry should they leave a fortified position

and you don't always have time to build trenches and setup razorwire... though if time permitted a nice secure building well stocked with supplies and surrounded by trenches and razorwire (do not use the trenches they would serve best filled with spikes or bundles of razor wire as an obstacle to slow the advancement of zombies) would be an ideal location to wait out an outbreak... a location with some kind of courtyard where a garden could be planted would be best

and landmines are also not the best idea... they likely will only slow a few zombies and the noise will attract more... even as a warning system they can be a bad idea because of the excessive noise
2007-11-12, 4:15 PM #94
Spook - the Glock 36 is a .45 ACP as well. It's basically a slimline Glock 30. I carry a Glock 21 @ work..good choice. ;)

Quote:
the noise will attract them from a greater distance than a few gunshots

D:

I need a suppressor now.. :tinfoil:
woot!
2007-11-12, 5:02 PM #95
Where, (As in, Geographicly speaking) would be the best place to hide from zombies?
2007-11-12, 5:06 PM #96
On top of the space needle. Cut the elevator cables and block off the stairwells.

Make sure you have a lot of food and a generator.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2007-11-12, 5:54 PM #97
But you are assuming that you are a bunch of yahoos alone.

If you have a large group of trained people, you could effectively cleanse various portions of real estate, fortify them, and hold that.

Move out of your horror movie mindset and into the real world! Zombies are not going to just be shambling around, with a few of us running and gunning, it's going to be a war!

As for the Glock 36, that's the compact one right? I have only shot it once, and it was awkward, but it might be a familiarzation problem,
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2007-11-12, 6:15 PM #98

If you have a large group of trained people, you could effectively cleanse various portions of real estate, fortify them, and hold that.

Move out of your horror movie mindset and into the real world! Zombies are not going to just be shambling around, with a few of us running and gunning, it's going to be a war!

As for the Glock 36, that's the compact one right? I have only shot it once, and it was awkward, but it might be a familiarzation problem,

Yeah - the Glock 30 is a compact .45, and the Glock 36 is a slimmer version. It's the most compact .45ACP Glock you can get.
woot!
2007-11-12, 6:30 PM #99
Another question, If you found an APC (And it miraculasly happeded to be fueled) would that make a good way of travel? Seems alot better then a car, But helicopters seem like a good way to get around zombie hell.
2007-11-12, 6:34 PM #100
That depends on their fuel efficiency and how far you plan on traveling.
<Rob> This is internet.
2007-11-12, 7:06 PM #101
If we ever go into naval zombie battles, we could win using greek fire. We would need to find out the secret ingredient however..
Back again
2007-11-12, 7:09 PM #102

But you are assuming that I would trust anyone else enough to stick around with me. Fellow zombie fighters can help you kill zombies, but it's added risk that they could get infected in your proximity, and you might hesitate for a critical moment to kill them while they're transforming.

If the zombie apocalypse came, it would just be me, a shotgun, a lot of ammo, and a crapload of explosives.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2007-11-12, 7:14 PM #103
But what if you get lonely and have no one to talk to? After a while, I'm pretty sure you'll go crazy and "Wilson" would be your only friend.
Back again
2007-11-12, 8:14 PM #104
Originally posted by Lord_Grismath:
But you are assuming that I would trust anyone else enough to stick around with me. Fellow zombie fighters can help you kill zombies, but it's added risk that they could get infected in your proximity, and you might hesitate for a critical moment to kill them while they're transforming.

If the zombie apocalypse came, it would just be me, a shotgun, a lot of ammo, and a crapload of explosives.

I imagine that I wouldn't be able to watch my own back very well during a mass zombie horde rush. Maybe I'd go hang with the SWAT guys. :awesome:
woot!
2007-11-12, 8:23 PM #105
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
Where, (As in, Geographicly speaking) would be the best place to hide from zombies?

This is an important question in need of an answer.

The best place would be a private island located in the middle of an ocean, isolated from every society and connection to the outside world, with a fully stocked warehouse and replenishable food and water sources.

The arctic is a bad idea due to zombies being able to freeze and last for thousands upon thousands of years, and then thawing out and continuing their hunt again. Even staying on an island is only delaying the zombies reaching you, because there are some records of zombies walking around on the bottom of the ocean I believe. Zombies are also known to float all across the oceans and wind up on another coast; so while improbably that zombies will end up on your little private island, it's bound to happen eventually.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2007-11-12, 10:13 PM #106
Orbit would be the safest place. Not like they could miraculously sneak into an orbital habitat/colony with a three day minimum trip time from launch to docking and obscenely detailed inspections.
<Rob> This is internet.
2007-11-12, 10:16 PM #107
Originally posted by Commander 598:
Orbit would be the safest place. Not like they could miraculously sneak into an orbital habitat/colony with a three day minimum trip time from launch to docking and obscenely detailed inspections.

Are Reavers considered zombies..? If so...:tinfoil:
woot!
2007-11-12, 11:48 PM #108
Originally posted by JLee:
Are Reavers considered zombies..? If so...:tinfoil:

No. If anything they're inspired by WH40K's Dark Eldar.
<Rob> This is internet.

↑ Up to the top!