Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → POGs
POGs
2007-11-12, 10:52 PM #1
I now understand why I have such an inflated ego.

I'm going through some old boxes looking for old toys for a soldering project when I happen upon 4 gallon sized zip block bags full of POGs. My ego comes from the fact that 3 of the gallon sized bags have been labeled "Won." The other bag is labeled "Bought." In another zip block bag I have counted 24 or so slammers, including my very first slammer that has the moon lander on it.

I only ever bought one slammer, too. We used to have tournaments where we wouldn't play for keeps, but the winner won everyone else's slammers. What's strange is that I can only remember a few epic plays, but remember the kid teaching me to play the game like it was yesterday, then giving me a handful of his doubles so that I could compete.

I start talking to my childhood best friend recently, and he remembers many times where I would cause a big timeout wave after winning a pot of POGs.

If only I could remember my technique... I could start back up again and maybe get the local kids in my neighborhood into it?

Did you POG?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-11-12, 10:56 PM #2
Never was much into POGs. Perhaps I was too old when they were around. More likely, I thought videogames were better. Probably because they are. :P
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2007-11-12, 10:58 PM #3
Remember Alf?
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2007-11-12, 10:59 PM #4
I had a really cool silver slammer and a few pogs. I got into it for a few weeks but I never stuck with it.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-11-12, 10:59 PM #5
That means you POG'd, freelancer. Vote correctly.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-11-12, 11:00 PM #6
I remember them - never was into it, though.
woot!
2007-11-12, 11:01 PM #7
I did it a couple of times.

I was like "eh"
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-11-12, 11:02 PM #8
I used to POG when I was a kid. I probably still have a few of them somewhere.

I never liked playing for keeps, so I didn't get into it too deeply.
2007-11-12, 11:09 PM #9
I had a POG making machine. It was pretty cool.

o.0
2007-11-12, 11:14 PM #10
my POGS got stolen, and then kids started playing crazy bones. whenever they would try to play crazy bones i played crazy stones.
2007-11-12, 11:29 PM #11
I played pogs. But then they banned them at my school because everyone was stealing them from each other.
2007-11-12, 11:33 PM #12
Originally posted by Vincent Valentine:
I played pogs. But then they banned them at my school because everyone was stealing them from each other.

This is why I never got into them.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2007-11-12, 11:36 PM #13
Originally posted by JediKirby:
I now understand why I have such an inflated ego.

Really? I thought it was because you have a napoleon complex.
2007-11-12, 11:45 PM #14
Originally posted by Greenboy:
I had a POG making machine. It was pretty cool.

me too!
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2007-11-12, 11:54 PM #15
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Really? I thought it was because you have a napoleon complex.

That too.

(I saw that coming a mile away as I typed. I knew it'd be you, too)
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-11-13, 12:14 AM #16
Oh man I was king of the playground after my dad machined me some slammers out of 2-1/4" solid brass rods. They were awesome (and bloody heavy).
Stuff
2007-11-13, 12:28 AM #17
Sorry it's hard for me to get excited about a bunch of circular pieces of cardboard.
2007-11-13, 12:28 AM #18
Also, your polls suck. What's the point of a poll if you inject your silly opinion into each of the options?

Imagine the last presidential election:

[ ] George Bush (if you choose this option, you will get a $500 check in the mail)
[ ] John Kerry (if you choose this option you will be waterboarded)
2007-11-13, 12:30 AM #19
Well, his opinion is WRONG, so it doesn't matter.
Sorry for the lousy German
2007-11-13, 1:08 AM #20
I POG'd. I had a couple of neat silver razor shaped slammers. Also, I had a free glow in the dark slammer courtesy of Knott's Berry Farm Amusement Park. I went there at the height of the POG craze, and got a dozen or two POGs with Snoopy in various roles and a glow in the dark slammer.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2007-11-13, 1:51 AM #21
I used to to collect POGs, but would barely ever play for keeps. The few times I did resulted in losing half my collection :cool:
-Snootle
2007-11-13, 3:48 AM #22
Originally posted by Brian:
Also, your polls suck. What's the point of a poll if you inject your silly opinion into each of the options?

Imagine the last presidential election:

[ ] George Bush (if you choose this option, you will get a $500 check in the mail)
[ ] John Kerry (if you choose this option you will be waterboarded)

This is just making me imagine a Massassitutional crisis, where teh Brain would be irked by some trend in Massassi, and want to change it. Since CoolMatty has THE KEYS of the SOULS, Brian would have to ask CM. And then CM would have a golden, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to legitimately say...

Request DENIED

:awesome:
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2007-11-13, 5:13 AM #23
Pogs were the **** dude.
2007-11-13, 5:21 AM #24
Spook is a pog. :tfti:
If my smoking bothers you, don't breathe.
2007-11-13, 5:34 AM #25
i've forgotten how to play... but i used to... and all i remember is about half my collection was won and all but 2 of my slammers were won (i had probably 25ish near the end) i did lose some good pogs and a few of my slammers in the process

i wonder if i still have the damn things hiding in a box somewhere
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2007-11-13, 6:07 AM #26
Every subsequent post Brian makes, I see a clearer picture of an old man yelling from his rocking chair on the porch.

The poll isn't supposed to be some kind of serious thing. Settle down.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-11-13, 6:14 AM #27
All those crazy abbreviations... what the hell is a POG anyway?
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2007-11-13, 6:27 AM #28
I collected, never played. To be honest I never knew it was a game until a few years ago. I just thought they were neat little things you got in packets of chips.

I have a gold slammer that's made of metal. I highly doubt its real gold, but still pretty cool. I can't remember where I got it, but I still keep it in its original plastic sleeve. Times?
2007-11-13, 6:33 AM #29
we had this two pound brass slammer that was *awesome*
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2007-11-13, 6:51 AM #30
I think I once bought a pack of POGs, tried it once and gave the whole thing to my brother, who proceeded to chuck them in the garbage.

I can't stand little games like that. Just like I hate sitting around a table playing cards. Theres just something about this type of activity that's a complete turn off.

The only "table" game I've ever liked was Drinking Games. :awesome:
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2007-11-13, 6:55 AM #31
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Settle down.

No you.
2007-11-13, 7:32 AM #32
Had a gold sawblade slammer, but it got lost/stolen. :(
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2007-11-13, 7:48 AM #33
Never.

Had.

One.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2007-11-13, 8:00 AM #34
Quote:
POGs? (My childhood was sheltered) (I'm Obi_Kwiet)

I loled at this. :P

POGs sort of went out of fashion (at least where I lived) before I was old enough to understand the fuss was about. It's likely that I had one or two but didn't know what they were. (and I still wouldn't) My parents probably tried to downplay them because my sister and I had a bad habit of taking powerful and arbitrary dislikes to things like that.
2007-11-13, 8:09 AM #35
i POG'd. it was awesome.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2007-11-13, 9:22 AM #36
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
I did it a couple of times.

I was like "eh"

Same here. A few of my friends were really into it, and they let me try it with some of theirs, but I don't think I ever had any pogs of my own, and if I did I definitely never really played it.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2007-11-13, 9:26 AM #37
When I was in high school, all the nerdy people played with MAGIC CARDS. I think POGS were a while after.
2007-11-13, 9:27 AM #38
Originally posted by Jin:
I collected, never played. To be honest I never knew it was a game until a few years ago. I just thought they were neat little things you got in packets of chips.

Same, so I don't know what to vote. :P
nope.
2007-11-13, 9:28 AM #39
Originally posted by Brian:
When I was in high school, all the nerdy people played with MAGIC CARDS. I think POGS were a while after.

Hmmm, I could have sworn POGs came before the Magic : The Gathering craze.

Then again, I AM in Quebec. :suicide:
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2007-11-13, 9:38 AM #40
I was into them for a little while, but since I had little money of my own, and my folks were not the type to give me lots of cash for little frivolities, I never amassed a collection nor did I play for keeps and risk losing the few I had.

However, my freshman year of college, a bunch of kids in my dorm would meet on weekend nights and drink 40s and play pogs.
:master::master::master:

↑ Up to the top!