Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Facebook Sucks
Facebook Sucks
2007-11-24, 11:36 PM #1
Man, facebook is a really inferior networking system.

Discuss.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-11-24, 11:45 PM #2
No.
Pissed Off?
2007-11-24, 11:47 PM #3
I sense a hilarous thread in which we all end up in complete agreeance and peace.
2007-11-24, 11:47 PM #4
Gee Kirby. I'd sure like to hear your well thought out reasoning on why Facebook does not meet up to your expectations. How does other sites like "Spaces" or "Myspace" compare to you. Are they better? Are they worse?
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-11-24, 11:47 PM #5
Your mom is an inferior networking system.
2007-11-24, 11:49 PM #6
I dunno, I networked pretty good with her last night.

In the butt.

But I like facebook--keeps me up to date with all my old buddies from HS.
D E A T H
2007-11-25, 12:04 AM #7
Facebook is okay if only because it doesn't suffer from "horrible page design" syndrome, like MySpace does. Although the applications system is rapidly encroaching upon that.
2007-11-25, 12:12 AM #8
If you look at usability rather than page design, myspace is better. I can actually find people. Also facebook pops up a ****ing double captcha thing every few minutes it seems.

o.0
2007-11-25, 12:17 AM #9
...and there are a lot of other things that other people may like while you don't. Rant rant.
Back again
2007-11-25, 12:32 AM #10
Ginormous butt loads of spam messages and friend requests vs. no spam messages or friend request.
Pissed Off?
2007-11-25, 2:15 AM #11
Originally posted by Avenger:
Ginormous butt loads of spam messages and friend requests vs. no spam messages or friend request.

Thats not entirely true. I get absolutely no spam messages/requests on myspace. But I only add real friends/family, so I've only got like 20 people on there. I get more spam crap on facebook so far. Stupid requests to join this or that. I guess it varies depending on who you add.

o.0
2007-11-25, 3:37 AM #12
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
Gee Kirby. I'd sure like to hear your well thought out reasoning on why Facebook does not meet up to your expectations. How does other sites like "Spaces" or "Myspace" compare to you. Are they better? Are they worse?

Dammit you. I laughed to tears at this comment.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2007-11-25, 3:59 AM #13
Originally posted by Greenboy:
If you look at usability rather than page design, myspace is better. I can actually find people. Also facebook pops up a ****ing double captcha thing every few minutes it seems.

Someone needs to learn that usability and design are fundamentally tied together. A website that looks pretty but has no functionality is art, a website that has both is design.

To be honest, both Facebook and MySpace have terrible UIs. Facebook is getting much worse over time as it become increasingly difficult to learn how to use it.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2007-11-25, 4:04 AM #14
The evolution of Facebook's UI has been...interesting. Some elements have been vastly improved, others have turned to ****.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-11-25, 5:14 AM #15
I don't particularly like the sudden surge of ****ty applications that Facebook has now, but every now and then you find something that's amusing to have. Takes forever to scroll through someone's profile page because of all the crap they've added.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2007-11-25, 7:13 AM #16
I changed my status on facebook to say that I was deleting any of my friends who had more than 20 apps on their pages, and no less than 3 people got offended by that and removed themselves.

Seriously why must there be an application for everything? And why do people think that having hundreds of them is a badge of honour? At least there aren't any that automatically play ****ty music when you first load the page, like Myspace has (though I'm almost convinced that that's a base feature of myspace since I have not seen one yet that doesn't automatically play ****ty music. If you have one and you think it plays good music, you're wrong.).

To illustrate my point, here's the applications that one of my friends has:

[http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k133/kyle901/ohgodwhy.png]

And here's the apps that I have:

[http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k133/kyle901/correct.png]

No, I don't need a "funwall"; I don't need gifts; I'm not going to be a vampire, zombie, pirate, or robot, or whatever else. Someone give me a greasemonkey script that completely blocks all superfluous applications on other people's pages and I would be very very happy (no doubt this exists; I should look for it).

But anyways, since we're here, everyone add me: http://utoronto.facebook.com/profile.php?id=28100050
Stuff
2007-11-25, 7:30 AM #17
Facebook is good just for poker. That's the only application you need.

If you don't like it, don't join it. Don't ***** just because it exists :)
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2007-11-25, 8:11 AM #18
I like that app your friend has that just says 'Sex!'
DO NOT WANT.
2007-11-25, 10:03 AM #19
I think Apps are a stupid idea. But I think the real problem lies in the people who have registered for facebook, post-apps. They don't know any better, they don't know what it was like before apps, and so they just see it as another myspace.

The people who were on facebook pre-apps, and still have a billion of them, should be shot.

The only apps I have: the scrabble app, and chess. Neither of these appear on my profile, they only run appear on my side menu when I expand it, and therefore I deem these "acceptable" because they do not clutter up the Facebook Profile page, which was intended to be clean and uniform between every user, making it easy to look at, read, and find the desired information.

I'm planning on writing a worm-app with my friend that you install on your profile. Whenever someone goes to your profile, it downloads and installs itself automagically to their profile, deletes all of their apps except certain ones on a white list (The main facebook apps, the worm), and then it spreads whenever someone goes to THEIR profile.

This is how I will fix facebook. Alternatively, if we can't get the automagical download/install to work, we'll disguise it as something that they would install (some stupid gift thing, or a pirates/ninja/werewolf/etc)
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-11-25, 10:31 AM #20
You don't have to have all the applications you have show up on you page.
Pissed Off?
2007-11-25, 10:35 AM #21
I have like...six or seven of them. I have some friends who SPAM the **** out of me with apps.

I have since told them to stop. But I still mash the ignore button a lot.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-11-25, 10:46 AM #22
There should be an application that lets you make blacklists of people who spam apps. It'd send a wall message to spammers "Brandon St. Germaine thinks you're a filthy spammer that needs to stop sending requests for apps." Maybe it'd even block formerly "ignore"d apps from appearing on your requests?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-11-25, 10:50 AM #23
Apps are the devil in great number. I HATE them all apart from superpoke, because I enjoy flashing a small number of my friends on a bi-weekly basis.
2007-11-25, 10:53 AM #24
I have only two third party apps. Video, which is sort of useful, but more of a plug in than an app. Also, Honesty Box for reasons that I have forgotten. I'll get rid of that soon.
2007-11-25, 10:54 AM #25
Guys what's facebook?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2007-11-25, 10:56 AM #26
Some retarded way of saying "Photo album"
2007-11-25, 11:03 AM #27
Its more of a way to keep in touch with friends at other schools. I hardly look at photos.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2007-11-25, 11:04 AM #28
Originally posted by mb:
Its more of a way to keep in touch with friends at other schools. I hardly look at photos.

Yep, especially for me as a graduate I've now got loads of friends dotted about the country so it's a great way to keep in touch and to organise meet-ups and what have you.
2007-11-25, 11:05 AM #29
Its also a great way to stalk people and gain their mobile numbers.

:P
nope.
2007-11-25, 11:09 AM #30
And in doing so find out that we each speak with an authentic regional accent ;)
2007-11-25, 11:26 AM #31

Uh...no? I found everyone I wanted to on facebook a lot easier than I did on myspace.
D E A T H
2007-11-25, 11:27 AM #32
Im pretty sure Ive never seen a captcha on facbeook
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2007-11-25, 12:04 PM #33
I hardly use either because for the most part I can't stand social networking sites. MySpace sucks because it's become less about networking and more about showing off and blogging about showing off. Facebook's networking system is pretty elegant once you get past all of the apps and other random crap.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2007-11-25, 12:20 PM #34
I like facebook for photos. That's pretty much it.
There are very few people on my list that I don't see on a (semi)regular basis.
I have no apps unless photos and posted items are defined as apps.
I don't even have a wall.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2007-11-25, 12:53 PM #35
Facebook, simply because the average internet user thinks that they are awesome web designers, but are very clearly not.
2007-11-25, 1:18 PM #36
Facebook is absolutely useless for me once it stopped showing what classes you're in. That was the most useful thing about it, so I could find people in my classes in case I needed to ask them anything.
:master::master::master:
2007-11-25, 1:23 PM #37
[http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7931/facebooksuckagepw7.jpg]
This is annoying. The way it fades in and out as a fake popup thing is annoying. Its not pretty. Its slow, and annoying.
Also, myspace lets you turn off almost all the annoying things. Songs don't autoplay for me, email spam is easy to turn off also. Adblock solves that problem easily too.

o.0
2007-11-25, 1:38 PM #38
That doesn't happen to me when I add friends...it's probably in the settings somewhere.
Back again
2007-11-25, 1:58 PM #39
This is annoying. The way it fades in and out as a fake popup thing is annoying. Its not pretty. Its slow, and annoying.
Also, myspace lets you turn off almost all the annoying things. Songs don't autoplay for me, email spam is easy to turn off also. Adblock solves that problem easily too.

...I've never seen that in my entire time on facebook. :/
nope.
2007-11-25, 2:03 PM #40
I guess facebook just hates me. It pops up a few times everytime I use the site it seems.

o.0

↑ Up to the top!