Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Even more changes to the Star Wars DVD?
Even more changes to the Star Wars DVD?
2004-08-01, 3:21 PM #1
http://www.quartertofour.com/bloodynews/postnews/show_news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1090854142&archive=&template=

We already know about the Greedo and Hayden changes, but there are more now apparently (dancing Gungans, new Jabba CG model, Jango Fett's voice instead of Boba Fett's).
Be sure to listen to the soundclip and watch the quicktime video.

So.....does anyone have any ammo for a Dragunov SVD?
2004-08-01, 3:28 PM #2
21:23 <MBeggar> someone burn down lucasarts before they destroy the world

------------------
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-08-01, 4:05 PM #3
damnit, why the hell couldn't he just keep the Prequels consistent with the Originals, and not have to mess with the GOOD Trilogy

------------------
What happens when you cast heal on the undead?
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-08-01, 4:17 PM #4
It's LucasFilm doing this, not LucasArts.

I don't mind the new changes, provided they're done well. The two I am most concerned with are the new Emporer and the new Stormtrooper voices. I hope they're quality.

------------------
Empty.
2004-08-01, 4:26 PM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hellequin:

The two I am most concerned with are the new Emporer and the new Stormtrooper voices.

</font>

surely they are not making all the stormtroopers sound like Jango?

Why would the imperials continue to clone their troopers? It would be easier and more logical to simply conscript (as it has always been unofficially in the EU)

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-01, 4:28 PM #6
The clones though would more loyal, easily "programmable" as it were.

------------------
"This thread is still alive? Someone should kill it."
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2004-08-01, 4:36 PM #7
MADNESS!

Well... no... I suppose if they are indeed done well, these changes could make sense... hopefully.

------------------
Fire Pretty - Graz's Armoury - (That's my blog...)

The Soviet Bunker - (That's my forum...)

"Thou shalt not steal. (Because the government doesn't like competition!)"
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-08-01, 4:47 PM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nubs:
The clones though would more loyal, easily "programmable" as it were.

</font>

it can't be clones, though, b/c if all the troopers were clones, then they would sound all the same. When luke said "Prinoner ttransfer from cellblock aa-23" or something like that, the officer should have seen through the ruse b/c luke sounded different than the other troopers. Therefore, having all the troopers be clones is kind of ludacris.

As far as clones being more docile, the EU states tat strormtrooper cadets atre brainwashed at the academy to make them 100% loyal.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-01, 5:01 PM #9
This really pisses me off :\
I mean even if they DO turn out ok (which I highly doubt), it's just not the same to watch the movie and know they've changed it. They were classics to begin with... quit screwwing with them! You're just not supposed to touch a classic!

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-08-01, 5:17 PM #10
None of these changes really bother me... I kinda like them actually.

------------------
I figure that one day I'll either be famous, or in prison. But I guess if I'm going to prison, I should probably try to do something that would make me famous anyway.
>>untie shoes
2004-08-01, 5:22 PM #11
I think the Hayden thing is a load of crap. The reason RotJ should end that way still is because it showed you what Anakin would of looked like had he never of gone to the dark side.

And the Jango and Emperor thing I don't really mind.

------------------
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2004-08-01, 5:22 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Genki:
damnit, why the hell couldn't he just keep the Prequels consistent with the Originals, and not have to mess with the GOOD Trilogy

</font>

Exactly.

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-08-01, 6:42 PM #13
I'll believe it when I see it.

Eh, I take that back. They seem to give pretty good proof. All the same, I don't think the changes are that bad.
------------------
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.

[This message has been edited by Jazzkokehead (edited August 01, 2004).]
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.
2004-08-01, 6:47 PM #14
Um...if all Stormtroopers were clones, why would they refer to the "Clone Wars?" If they're all clones, every war is a clone war. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged

Banks and banks of humming machinery! I've never seen so many knobs. We're going to have to do something, Charlie! Try pushing that button there. No? How about that one? No, not that one either. I know! I'll try pushing this one. Hold my hat will you? Good fellow.
2004-08-01, 6:50 PM #15
I continue to hold out the small hope that none of that is true. That hope is fading fast.

I think I'm not going to bother with the DVD set. I'll run my VHS tapes into the iMac, run them through Final Cut, and output them to MY OWN DVDs.

It might not come out looking as spiffy, but at least I'll have the GOOD versions on something more permanent.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-08-01, 7:55 PM #16
Something inside me is bothered about all these changes, then again, I don't really care as I can just watch the original VHS' when I want to and DVD's when I want to. So, I'm just waiting for the DVD's.

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-08-01, 8:18 PM #17
noooooo...... why?! why butcher the good things to "improve them"..... i hope they put in options to play either the new editions to the classic ones, like in StarGate Special Edition DVD..... wonder if they gonna put in the deleted scenes to where you can watch the movie either with or without.... because i remember when i was younger, i watched the star wars movies on TV without that stuff cut out, like the scene where the falcon is on tattooine during a sand storm, which i really liked.....

------------------
Carter: "whats wrong?"
Daniel: "this tastes like chicken..."
Carter: "whats bad about that?"
Daniel: "this is supposed to be macaroni and cheese..."

[This message has been edited by Admiral Zarn (edited August 01, 2004).]
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2004-08-01, 9:02 PM #18
I have one suggestion for all of you people. Stop whining and don't buy the DVD's. I'm sure you all own numerous versions on VHS, and it's not that hard to find those versions on VCD's. If you don't like it, don't buy it. At least that way there'll be some left in the store for people like me who could care less if they're changed or not, and not in the hands of people who won't appreciate what they have.

------------------
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2004-08-01, 9:16 PM #19
Now we see what happens when you write the prequels after the sequels. This whole situation is unreal and insane. It's like some screwed-up form of time travel.

Lucas should have done the Star Wars sextology in order.

------------------
"Look at me! I'm Tracer! BLAHBLAHBLAH!"

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-08-01, 9:58 PM #20
If they really have changed Boba Fett's voice, and if they put Christensen in at the end of RotJ, that would just ruin it.

They made the prequels too kid-oriented and ruined the continuity enough with certain things (Boba Fett's origin, for example), and now they're making some changes to the original trilogy that really don't improve the movies for a lot of people, and in fact detract quite a bit from them.

There are certain changes that I do like, though, like the new emperor holo placed in the "Vader's chamber" scene from ESB, but changing all the dialogue and voice for the emperor seems like a really bad idea. Replacing the CG in various places could be a good thing, or could be quite horrid. If they replace the CG Jabba from Mos Eisley, that would probably be a good idea. I have no idea what else they could replace, except for the entire fly-up to Mos Eisley. Basically, if they just did a reworking of little bits to look better (since they have newer technologies now, it should be pretty easy to do), it would probably be okay. But, redoing the only dialogue one character has, replacing a main cast member's face with someone else's, and removing one of the original cast completely by replacing them in every scene and redoing all their dialogue? Talk about total disrespect for the actors' work.

At most, I'll probably rent the new and "improved" trilogy, just to see what they did right and what they did terribly wrong.
2004-08-01, 10:11 PM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth J:
I have one suggestion for all of you people. Stop whining and don't buy the DVD's. I'm sure you all own numerous versions on VHS, and it's not that hard to find those versions on VCD's. If you don't like it, don't buy it. At least that way there'll be some left in the store for people like me who could care less if they're changed or not, and not in the hands of people who won't appreciate what they have.

</font>

I only have ANH and TPM on actual tape, which i got off of the air.

I do have AOTC as a divx file on 2 cds, though. I use that instead of playing the retail dvd, so it stays in near-new condition. DVDs are damaged so easily, much more so than cds.

------------------
2004-08-01, 11:53 PM #22
I have yet to see any proof besides "there is this bootleg that everyone is talking about on teh internet"...

------------------
Sorry for the lousy English
Sorry for the lousy German
2004-08-02, 12:19 AM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spud:
But, redoing the only dialogue one character has, replacing a main cast member's face with someone else's, and removing one of the original cast completely by replacing them in every scene and redoing all their dialogue? Talk about total disrespect for the actors' work.
</font>

You didn't hear about what they did to David Prowse, did you? He recorded the entire films with his voice to find them replaced by James Earl Jones (and with good reason, northern England Darth is slightly less menacing [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]) and because nobody trusted him they also got him to do two different lines in the ESB, one where Darth is Luke's father and the other where Obi-Wan is. He was also completely alienated by the rest of the cast.

------------------
tristan is the best friend of the jedi

"I am the signature virus! Copy me into your signature so that I can take over the world! Moohahahee!"
tristan is the best friend of the jedi

"I am the signature virus! Copy me into your signature so that I can take over the world! Moohahahee!"
2004-08-02, 1:07 AM #24
Poor guy. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
"Judging by the name of the author, and the name of the work, I'd guess it's an energy "beam". You know, like in the Japanese cartoons where those guys with big hair fly around, talk philosophy, and shoot fireballs at each other." - Hellequin
*insert some joke about pasta and fruit scuffles*
2004-08-02, 2:28 AM #25
NORTHERN ENGLAND?! Ack no! He's from Cornwall, one of the places that's as far south as you can go without hitting the channel Isles!!

"Oy foynd yurr lack of fayth disturrrbing"

If you heard the guy speak you'd know why JEJ was put in his place as the voice - he was treated rough though, and that's plain bad. It did however put one black man in a major role though - up until then wasn't ANH an entirely white affair, with Billy Dee Williams taking the token black man role in the following two?

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2004-08-02, 2:43 AM #26
Quote:

</font>

That or you rabid fanboys could get off your high horse and allow people to simply disagree with you. Every single thread like this either you or Alpha1 turn up to stomp out any discussion critical of recent decisions with this franchise. Who elected you thought police? It's a discussion forum, deal.

------------------
"The moral of the story? No means no, especially when it comes to the English language. It's not into the kinky stuff you want it to do, and therefore you should not force it." - Darko
"The moral of the story? No means no, especially when it comes to the English language. It's not into the kinky stuff you want it to do, and therefore you should not force it." - Darko
2004-08-02, 5:16 AM #27
Unfortunately, the rumours appear to be true. Lucas has butchered the original trilogy yet again, but that won't stop me from buying them on DVD when released.

This certainly makes the unaltered laserdisc rips converted to DVD floating on suprnova look mighty tempting. As I own the original trilogy on VHS, I can't see how downloading them could be illegal.

Raynar

------------------
Pagewizard_YKS: "making your own lightsaber doesn't make you a nerd... "
Pagewizard_YKS: "making your own lightsaber doesn't make you a nerd... "
Raynar - the man with a 10.75" ePenis
2004-08-02, 6:54 AM #28
I don't believe the voice-over thing. We heard about the supposed Morrison voice-over's months ago. And I'm pretty sure Lucas explicitly said the stormtroopers weren't the clones, that was just a false conclusion people came to after AotC. I also remember StarWars.com expressly saying that they weren't clones in an "Ask the Council" question. I can't find the question, though.

------------------
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2004-08-02, 6:58 AM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Raynar:
Unfortunately, the rumours appear to be true. Lucas has butchered the original trilogy yet again, but that won't stop me from buying them on DVD when released.

This certainly makes the unaltered laserdisc rips converted to DVD floating on suprnova look mighty tempting. As I own the original trilogy on VHS, I can't see how downloading them could be illegal.

Raynar

</font>

I was thinking the same thing. The prequels seemed too dumbed down for me. I can deal with the bad acting in the original, just dont ruin it by making it like the Lost in Space movie (cheap over the top effects, bad plot, no real villain).

I think one reason why the original trilogy is stronger is because there is a constant villain. Maul was so cool, did they have to axe him in the FIRST MOVIE with only 10 minutes screen time?!?!

The entire Trade Federation thing + Commerce Guilds is just lame. Just because George wants to act like he's commenting on the 20th Century (wto, un) doesnt mean he has to dumb it down even more.

GIVE ME THE ORIGINAL JABBA SONG!!!! AARGHA!!

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-08-02, 7:16 AM #30
Yet another reason for me to give up on anything in Star Wars apart from the games and stories from EU (most of which have ended up being better than the crap that Lucas has spent the last few years churning out).

I'll buy them, but I'm still not happy about the changes, as while they correct some timeline issues, they cause issues in the trilogy itself. The only thing I like is the change to Fett's voice. That's about it.

In my oppinion, the Special Editions were the best version of the films: they dubtly repaired a few issues, but still stayed relatively true to the originals.

------------------
"Iraqniphobia - The fear of non-existant weapons of mass-destruction."
50000 episodes of badmouthing and screaming like a constipated goat cant be wrong. - Mr. Stafford
2004-08-02, 7:21 AM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jagged Conscience:
one where Darth is Luke's father and the other where Obi-Wan is.

</font>

Actually it was, "Obi-Wan killed your father," not, "Obi-Wan was your father."

------------------
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here this is the War Room.
http://darkestspiral.greentinted.com

"I have no clue why people trust statistics like that. 99% of the time they are made up." - Raoul Duke
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2004-08-02, 7:28 AM #32
Well, this still seems like an internet hoax to me. I guess we'll find out next month.

------------------
Have you forgotten ...
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2004-08-02, 8:51 AM #33
Bah, he's making it all up as he goes along, inserting whatever new fad that's popular. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Worth a million in prizes, baby.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-08-02, 8:58 AM #34
It's a shame my unaltered version of Return of the Jedi got jammed in a VCR. Damn you Lucas.
2004-08-02, 9:09 AM #35
Quote:

</font>

Word.

------------------
Fire Pretty - Graz's Armoury - (That's my blog...)

The Soviet Bunker - (That's my forum...)

"Thou shalt not steal. (Because the government doesn't like competition!)"
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-08-02, 11:04 AM #36
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gordon Farcus:
That or you rabid fanboys could get off your high horse and allow people to simply disagree with you. Every single thread like this either you or Alpha1 turn up to stomp out any discussion critical of recent decisions with this franchise. Who elected you thought police? It's a discussion forum, deal.

</font>

Please tell me where I said you're not allowed to disagree with me because I'm right and everyone who dislikes the changes is wrong. People are entitled to their opinion, me included. I'm simply tired of people acting like they are obligated to purchase the DVD set when they know they won't like it. No one is twisting your arm.

------------------
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2004-08-02, 11:07 AM #37
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
Actually it was, "Obi-Wan killed your father," not, "Obi-Wan was your father."

</font>

That would have been some ending. It would have made things interesting for ROTJ. I'm not sure though if it would have had the same impact as Vader.

------------------
"This thread is still alive? Someone should kill it."
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2004-08-02, 1:27 PM #38
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jedi Legend:
It's a shame my unaltered version of Return of the Jedi got jammed in a VCR. Damn you Lucas.</font>

Go to your local discount book store/video store. I found a copy of the original trilogy in amazing condition at a Half Price Books near me. I didn't buy it though.

------------------
2004-08-02, 1:34 PM #39
They replaced Boba Fetts voice with Jangos? Die whores!!! DIE LUCASARTS!!!!! BAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!1

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-02, 2:30 PM #40
I'm surprised none of you are upset about the Gungan's celebration of the Death Star shouting, "wesa free!".

↑ Up to the top!