Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Smash!
Smash!
2008-03-08, 8:38 AM #1
So for those of us in North America, Super Smash Brothers Brawl comes out tomorrow (in many areas at Midnight, depending on the store). How many of you are going to go it tomorrow, or perhaps maybe not tomorrow, but sometime in the future? Or perhaps you may even already have it?

I know I am.

I didn't really get too excited for the game until last week, and as a result had not preordered it. As the weekend drew near I became more excited, though also fearful that I would not be able to get a copy on Sunday. Last night Gamestop's website still said "Pre-order now" so I opted to check with my nearest gamestop and they said that they were still accepting pre-orders and also advised of a trade-in deal where if you trade in 2 select Wii Games you can get SSB:B for 10 dollars (plus applicable taxes) and to check their website for details.
p
So I went to the site and after some digging I was able to find the specific list of games.

I had a number of the games on the list, but wanted to keep all of them, but I managed to find 2 games that I did not want anymore as I wouldn't play them.

Wario Ware and Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree. So after confirming I didn't want either game by giving them a quick play through, I went up to the store, and was able to preorder my copy, and can pick it up at Midnight tonight!

The original trade in value for Wario Ware was 16 dollars, but they gave me 21 for it towards the game, and for Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree it was originally worth 14, and they gave me 19, totalling 40. I paid 10.83 for the game with tax.

I'm so excited and can't wait to pick it up tonight.

Also, for those interested here is a link to the page on GameStop's site that lists the details of the trade-up program.

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/trade-ins/trade-ins.asp

According to the site it does't just apply to pre-orders, if you were to go in to a store and find a copy you could buy it seems it could apply to that as well.

From what I understand they removed the VC demo of Earthbound/Mother from the game's Masterpieces mode, as well as one other game, whose name slips my mind at the moment. IMO this is quite a disappointment, but nowhere near enough of one to warrant not getting this game. Hopefully this doesn't mean the game will never come to the VC.

So cast your decision on purchasing the game, and let's discuss what could be the greatest Wii game to be released this year.
2008-03-08, 9:03 AM #2
Still haven't decided if I want to keep my Wii or not, so I don't really want to jump in and buy the game if I'm just going to have to sell it at a loss in the near future.

Might just go the mod route.
2008-03-08, 9:08 AM #3
...the mod route? Why?

Anyway, brawl alone is a reason to own a Wii :p
2008-03-08, 9:10 AM #4
Because it's hard to justify paying for games for a system you hardly play when you're a poor student.

If I play it and decide that I'm going to get hours and hours of enjoyment out of it, I'll gladly cough up $50 for a copy. I never really played SSB much, so I don't know how worthwhile it is to me yet. I'm more excited about Mario Kart Wii.
2008-03-08, 9:23 AM #5
I'd get it if I had a wii, but I honestly don't see the point in buying one just for SSB.
nope.
2008-03-08, 9:30 AM #6
Originally posted by Baconfish:
I'd get it if I had a wii, but I honestly don't see the point in buying one just for SSB.

It's better than buying it when the only decent game was Wii Sports (like most of us did).

Now at least there's Mario Galaxy, SSBB, and soon Mario Kart Wii.

But yeah, I'd still wait if you can help it. If you don't feel it's worth it, it probably isn't. Let one of your dumb friends, like me, buy it instead.
2008-03-08, 10:16 AM #7
I can understand you might not like Zelda, Aglar, but what about Metroid Prime? Resident Evil 4? Zak and Wiki? There's a bunch of good games on Wii.
2008-03-08, 10:28 AM #8
RE4 was pretty cool. I played the crap out of it for a couple of days and then got bored. Probably should have just rented it instead of buying.

I guess my main thing is Wii just doesn't have the type of games that interest me. The 360 does. Gears, Halo 3, and CoD4 got way, way more hours of play out of me in the past year than anything else. Maybe my tastes are just too narrow, I don't know. All I know is the Wii really isn't working for me. I'm pretty much going to let SSBB and Mario Kart Wii decide if I should keep it.

e: Also, and this is a big factor, I pretty much *need* multiplayer. I have an incredibly hard time justifying paying $50-60 for a game that doesn't have it. The re-playability just isn't there otherwise.
2008-03-08, 11:12 AM #9
Besides SSBB, I really don't see anything interesting coming on the Wii horizon. I'll try out the game because my Wii is pretty much collecting dust. There is Mario Kart, but honestly, I'm not so excited seeing that the game is pretty much the same graphics-wise from Double Dash and there have been so many Kart games from before with the core gameplay pretty much the same. Online support is interesting, but seeing its Nintendo, they don't seem to know how to expand gracefully to the online world.

I'm having more fun connecting my Wiimote to my laptop via Blutooth and doing stuff with it. Like playing HL2, using it as a controller for emulators (oh no!), pointing device for presentations and so forth. Maybe I should just trade in my Wii and just keep the controller.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-03-08, 11:39 AM #10
Originally posted by Echoman:
Besides SSBB, I really don't see anything interesting coming on the Wii horizon. I'll try out the game because my Wii is pretty much collecting dust. There is Mario Kart, but honestly, I'm not so excited seeing that the game is pretty much the same graphics-wise from Double Dash and there have been so many Kart games from before with the core gameplay pretty much the same. Online support is interesting, but seeing its Nintendo, they don't seem to know how to expand gracefully to the online world.

I'm having more fun connecting my Wiimote to my laptop via Blutooth and doing stuff with it. Like playing HL2, using it as a controller for emulators (oh no!), pointing device for presentations and so forth. Maybe I should just trade in my Wii and just keep the controller.

I've been thinking if I sell mine I'll probably keep one of the controllers.
2008-03-08, 12:23 PM #11
I got to play an import version a couple weeks ago, so I don't need to buy it immediately now (which is good -- I'd flop school if I did). However, I'll certainly be getting it sometime after my semester ends.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2008-03-08, 12:30 PM #12
Someone on my floor is getting it tomorrow, thus, I only need to bring my wii controller to join in.
2008-03-08, 2:48 PM #13
Gonna buy it when I can find a wii.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-03-08, 2:55 PM #14
I don't have a Wii. It doesn't seem like I'll be missing much as I have Melee.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2008-03-08, 3:23 PM #15
I have it reserved, but I'm frankly not that excited. I've had it for a month, and while it's fun - just as fun as Melee in fact - that's just the problem.

It's exactly like Melee. Going from SSB to SSBM was a drastic change. More than DOUBLE the characters (more than tripple, possibly?), TONS of new options and modes and items and everything, just so much more content.

Brawl has more characters. It has more modes, more items, more content. But... it isn't enough to make it feel like a new game. It feels like a cheesy expansion pack that gives you five or six more missions, a few new maps, and a new weapon. It's fun, you buy it and you play it, and you might even switch to that instead of the original game (in this case, melee), but it doesn't really extend the overall life of the game.

That's going to be the problem. Playing Brawl feels like playing Melee, and that means I feel like I've already been playing Brawl for six years. Melee was a golden ratio of everything, and they tried really hard not to disturb it. And they didn't. But by doing so, they didn't make a new game, they just made version 2, and even with the new characters and new items and new modes, it is going to get boring fairly quickly.

So I'll buy it. Probably tomorrow even. And I'll play it. But I'm not fanboying over it.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2008-03-08, 3:59 PM #16
By the way, don't get the wrong impression from dud's post. Saying it's "melee 2.0" is high praise enough as it is. We've probably logged a few hundred hours playing melee. We played brawl for a couple hours the other night, and it's still ridiculously fun.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-03-08, 4:40 PM #17
If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Gamestop is selling it at midnight. I'll be there an hour before then, and I plan to play all night and all day tomorrow. I'll post my friend code when I have it. Can't wait to try out online.

Originally posted by FCTuner04:
From what I understand they removed the VC demo of Earthbound/Mother from the game's Masterpieces mode...

What? NO! I want Earthbound on VC.:(
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2008-03-08, 9:52 PM #18
Fish is completely right. It's still a ton of fun, and there are some new things that literally had us crying with laughter (and exhaustion).

And the "If it ain't broke" applies, but again: you don't fix it, you don't change anything, and it's basically the same game. It doesn't have that "new game" appeal to it. It has that "ahh, this is an old classic" feel.

Which is great. But a game that has the "new game" feel that turns into "ahhh a classic" would be optimal.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2008-03-08, 10:04 PM #19
Feels like a new game to me. The gameplay is a lot slower yet a LOT more finesse. I love it. LOVE IT.

/me goes back to playing
2008-03-08, 10:13 PM #20
Quote:
Now at least there's Mario Galaxy, SSBB, and soon Mario Kart Wii.

and lego star wars.
2008-03-08, 11:47 PM #21
Picked my copy up about and hour and 45 minutes ago. So far I love it, but I need to find a control style I like, but there are more than enough options so i can find something I will enjoy.

My friend code is 2277-6293-6283 so feel free to add me and maybe we can play a match some time.
2008-03-09, 12:35 AM #22
I voted for import, but I actually just walked into GameStop at midnight and picked up a copy.
Think while it's still legal.
2008-03-09, 3:01 AM #23
I'm going to be waiting a bit to get it, only because I have too many games that aren't being played. I bought the Wii for my girlfriend as a birthday present, and she plays it in spurts. Honestly, ****ting 50 bucks for a game that randomly/seldomly gets played isn't worth it to me.

I think the Wii is a pretty solid console and is a lot of fun to play with other people, but I have a library of games that is collecting dust.
Current Maps | Newest Map
2008-03-09, 9:33 AM #24
I just picked up my copy from Best Buy and wtf? Is there some kind of deal going on for the Wii? I swear I saw about 20 people walk out with Wiis and another 30 or so lined up for one. There can't possibly be that many people getting a Wii just for this game... :eek:
2008-03-09, 9:54 AM #25
My friend works in GameStation and she says that they always get shipments of 50 Wii's, and they're all gone by the afternoon.

Now Brawl has come out, it's going to be crazier.
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2008-03-09, 10:00 AM #26
The only Wii game I'm really excited about is Mario Kart.
I've already got too many games I want to play and too little time (on the Wii and even Linux).
Sorry for the lousy German
2008-03-09, 10:12 AM #27
There's a ton of more "hardcore" gamers hat have eschewed the wii until Smash came out, as opposed to "casual" gamers who have been buying party games and barbie's horse adventure or something.
--Garrison Keillor
2008-03-09, 10:16 AM #28
I got it today - loving it.

Here's my FC: 2578-2778-4262

Send me a PM if you add me and I'll add you back
2008-03-09, 12:51 PM #29
Originally posted by IRG SithLord:
I just picked up my copy from Best Buy and wtf? Is there some kind of deal going on for the Wii? I swear I saw about 20 people walk out with Wiis and another 30 or so lined up for one. There can't possibly be that many people getting a Wii just for this game... :eek:

There are still Wii shortages. Thus, when a business gets Wiis, people flock.
2008-03-09, 1:21 PM #30
I'm with Aglar on this one. My roommate's girlfriend came over this weekend and she brought her Wii with SSX something, WiiPlay and Wii Sports.

Like, none of these games last very long.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2008-03-09, 1:39 PM #31
Wii Sports is free and Wii Play is $10. What did you expect?
2008-03-09, 1:41 PM #32
VIN CONFIRMED FOR BRAWL
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2008-03-09, 2:12 PM #33
I wish I had friends to play with.
2008-03-09, 2:28 PM #34
I'm not sure if I should laugh or feel bad for you. But now I'm laughing.

Also, what's with the Friend Codes and why haven't they dropped them. Is Nintendo still going with their "protect innocent children from predators" philosophy for all their games in the future?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-03-09, 4:20 PM #35
Originally posted by Vincent Valentine:
Wii Sports is free and Wii Play is $10. What did you expect?

Wii Sport lasted a long time with my roommates.
2008-03-09, 4:56 PM #36
I am digging Meta Knight and Pit :) My roommate and I are playing through the co-op campaign right now, haven't done Vs. mode yet.
2008-03-09, 7:51 PM #37
Note for everyone- An easy but incredibly boring way to get all the characters:

Do a special versus match. Set it to "Everyone has the damage over time flower" mode. Then set to HP mode. Give your opponent 1HP. Start the match. The match should end pretty much instantly. Rinse, wipe hands on pants, repeat 450 times to get all characters.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2008-03-09, 8:29 PM #38
So. My mother called me today, to inform me that she bought a copy of brawl... but couldn't find a wii. It was my mission to find one, and mail it to her. Of course I couldn't find one.

I do not know whether my mother is a ***** for calling me and demanding I send her my wii, or AWESOME. Seriously. She's never played video games before.
2008-03-09, 10:41 PM #39
Ike is too powerful.
2008-03-10, 12:19 PM #40
The Subspace Emissary took me about 13 hours to beat. I was only at 85% when I finished, too. I'm still missing Wolf, Jiggly, and Toon Link. Do you encounter them in the story?

I tried one With Anyone wifi battle. It was a lot slower than the videos make it look. I swear I had over a second of lag. Maybe my opponents were all from Japan? They didn't seem to have any trouble controlling themselves.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."

↑ Up to the top!