Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → post your car payment
post your car payment
2008-03-12, 10:08 PM #41
Theres no point to that if you're working up your credit.
2008-03-12, 11:34 PM #42
When I bought my first car I put a $3000 deposit on it and paid the remaining $12000 off. They put the payments over 3 years I think, so with interest I would have ended up paying something like an extra $4000 if I remember correctly. I paid it off in 20-24 months or so instead and saved myself $1200 or so. They still manage to take more than they should. But I suppose they're not in business to make friends anyway :)
"You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth!! No truth-handler you!! Bah!! I deride your truth-handling ability!!"
2008-03-13, 8:13 AM #43
Originally posted by JediNeo:
When I bought my first car I put a $3000 deposit on it and paid the remaining $12000 off. They put the payments over 3 years I think, so with interest I would have ended up paying something like an extra $4000 if I remember correctly. I paid it off in 20-24 months or so instead and saved myself $1200 or so. They still manage to take more than they should. But I suppose they're not in business to make friends anyway :)

See, that's what I'm afraid of. I know jack and **** about anything financial. So that's why I'm bringing my sister when I actually buy my own car so I don't get shafted. She's a helluva lot more street/financial smarter than I.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2008-03-13, 10:15 AM #44
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
See, that's what I'm afraid of. I know jack and **** about anything financial. So that's why I'm bringing my sister when I actually buy my own car so I don't get shafted. She's a helluva lot more street/financial smarter than I.

Yep, it's always good to seek help when any amount of money is involved.
Car dealers to me are in the same category as lawyers and politicians. Just one step above criminals :P
"You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth!! No truth-handler you!! Bah!! I deride your truth-handling ability!!"
2008-03-13, 10:36 AM #45
Originally posted by Murc XIII:
2008 VW GTI - $270/month

...and a nice loooong warranty.

Good, you'll need it.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2008-03-13, 10:38 AM #46
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2008-03-13, 10:43 AM #47
:\

Is there something fundamentally different about newer volkswagens? As far as I know they all use basically the same engines now as they did way back when and they've always been reliable if you maintain them. Volkswagens are also easy to work on.
2008-03-13, 11:18 AM #48
Originally posted by Rob:
:\

Is there something fundamentally different about newer volkswagens? As far as I know they all use basically the same engines now as they did way back when and they've always been reliable if you maintain them. Volkswagens are also easy to work on.

From everything I've heard, the engines themselves rarely have issues. There have been a fair amount of issues with stuff like electronics, but I'd much rather have that than any engine problems etc. The most recent Golfs/GTIs are all made in Germany (unlike older ones which were made in Mexico), which makes me feel much better about reliability.
2008-03-13, 11:25 AM #49
Electronics like what?

Thats kind of vague. :\
2008-03-13, 12:21 PM #50
Also, insurance is higher on VWs because parts are "harder to get"... I don't think they are, but apparently insurance companies like to pawn that off as a reason to spike your rates another $50 a month just for owning a VEE DUB.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2008-03-13, 12:33 PM #51
Thats bull****.

Quit pulling things out of your ***.
2008-03-13, 12:48 PM #52
You should stop acting like you know everything about everything when you clearly don't. I have met MANY people who have owned VWs and have had accidents and the insurance companies ALL give them crap about parts and costs. ALL OF THEM. So sit down, shut up, and comment when you know something.
2008-03-13, 1:01 PM #53
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
I have met MANY people who have owned VWs and have had accidents and the insurance companies ALL give them crap about parts and costs.

I seriously doubt it.

Volkswagens are all my father has ever owned, and we've never had to pay insurance because of parts "scarcity"

So seriously, stop making stuff up. Or stop being stupid. Pick one, please.
2008-03-13, 1:12 PM #54
Whatever dude, I've got nothing to prove. It's a waste of time to even talk to you.
2008-03-13, 2:54 PM #55
Originally posted by Rob:
Theres no point to that if you're working up your credit.

Ahahahahahahahahaha

Yes, you go work on that credit...
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2008-03-13, 3:06 PM #56
Uhh, I already did.

Thats how I'm getting a better rate on a student loan.
2008-03-13, 3:15 PM #57
It's good you got a better rate, but basically you're saying to get in debt so you can get in more debt.

The ONLY reason you might need any kind of "good" credit rating is for a mortgage, and there are alternatives to that as well, like a 15-year fixed rate mortgage, but that usually requires no other credit, good or bad.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2008-03-13, 4:32 PM #58
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
It's good you got a better rate, but basically you're saying to get in debt so you can get in more debt.

Your credit score improves if you build a history of rotating debt. Financial organizations are more likely to loan you money at better interest rates if they think there's a good chance they will make money on you. Being responsible =/= being profitable. Paying off your credit card in full every month = poor credit score.

You need a good credit rating for everything. Renting equipment, mortgages, credit lines, service plans, car loans, student loans, security checks. They even do a credit check when you buy a new car, even if you're paying in cash. I don't know why but they do it.
2008-03-13, 9:49 PM #59
my 2003 jetta is in the shop getting a new:

transmission
ac compressor
ac condensor
ac panel
2 o2 sensors
throttle body
ecu
ignition coil module
shift interlock solenoid

yeah... good idea buying the warranty murc. hopefully yours won't suck like mine has...
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-03-13, 9:51 PM #60
Well, to be honest, Jettas have always been made of fail.
2008-03-13, 9:57 PM #61
they all use the same engines.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-03-13, 9:57 PM #62
also i only have 80k miles
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-03-14, 5:29 AM #63
Originally posted by NoESC:
yeah... good idea buying the warranty murc. hopefully yours won't suck like mine has...

First, you don't really buy a warranty...

Second, I have high hopes for this car. a) It's the 3rd year it's been in production, b) it's made in Germany instead of Mexico, and c) it uses very few (if any) parts from the MKIV.

And if things go wrong with it sometime in the future, then I will have learned something. But I have a hard time believing that since one 03 Jetta made in Mexico will reflect too much on the quality of my car.
2008-03-14, 6:23 AM #64
mine wasn't made in mexico it's a wolfsburg. but i probably just got a lemon.

your car is sexy as hell and i might still trade mine in for one of them when i get it back today.. :)
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-03-14, 6:36 AM #65
I paid 900 dollars cash for my car aboue 4 years ago now. This car is a tank and will probably last me a good 4-5 more years.
"Honey, you got real ugly."

↑ Up to the top!