Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What's the deal with case modding?
What's the deal with case modding?
2004-08-04, 12:11 PM #1
I don't understand why people are putting perfectly good money into making the case on their computer look good instead of putting the extra cash into what really counts, like a slightly better CPU, video card, RAM, etc.

Basically, most casemodding is just pointless eye candy, IMO. Why do people do it? I can understand the artistic motive, but why do people sink signifigant ammounts of money into something that does not boost performance in the slightest on their PC?

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited August 04, 2004).]
2004-08-04, 12:15 PM #2
I think it's time that you learned about the e-p33n.
2004-08-04, 12:16 PM #3
Because it might hide the crappiness of the computer?

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

--------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-04, 12:17 PM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Echoman:
Because it might hide the crappiness of the computer?

</font>

Like how? Give me an example.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-04, 12:19 PM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
Basically, most car-modding is just pointless eye candy, IMO. Why do people do it? I can understand the artistic motive, but why do people sink signifigant ammounts of money into something that does not boost performance in the slightest of their Civic?</font>

Fixed.

------------------
When guitars are outlawed, only outlaws will have guitars.
2004-08-04, 12:21 PM #6
Maybe if your computer has a poor OS, bad memory amount, bad RAM, bad graphic card, and so on. But you love your little computer and had memories (of fixing it). So you might paint it up and give it a good case. Then you can look on it with a smile because, even though your hard drive crashes often, your computer looks kick-*** .

/me shrugs

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

--------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-04, 12:24 PM #7
I'm in the same boat as Paige. I'm not one to blow money on a case mod, but if people want to do it, I'm not going to get in their way.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-04, 12:42 PM #8
You won't, but I will! *throws himself in front of a case that is about to be modded* TAKE ME INSTEAD!

------------------
Kieran: The reason I put a link to it is because she is in underwear and I know the admins are touchy on that.
Yecti: Jaiph will touch himself for hours if he so much as smells a woman's underwear
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-08-04, 12:45 PM #9
They do it because they want to, plain and simple.

------------------
*Takes out his blaster and fires shots at the wall, the blastmarks leave the words "S-TROOPER WUZ 'ERE!!!"
2004-08-04, 12:45 PM #10
To me, case modding is taking a dremil and slicing the hell out of an ATX backplate so itll fit on a motherboard with more ports. I point and laugh at the guys with the lights and case windows, because its completely POINTLESS.

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq!
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-08-04, 12:48 PM #11
As with 90% of activities that human-beings perform, case-modding is useless. But who really gives a rats-*** how useless something you do is? If you're bored enough, you'll find ways to entertain yourself.

------------------
</sarcasm>
Want a free ipod?
http://www.freeiPods.com/default.aspx?referer=7439474
It actually works, too.
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2004-08-04, 12:55 PM #12
It's just cool.

[http://members.cox.net/whooz/killbillcase.jpg]

------------------
"I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be." -Janis Joplin
2004-08-04, 12:58 PM #13
Despite the fact I'd never have anything to with it - the man up there makes a good point.

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2004-08-04, 1:43 PM #14
i just don't get it myself. i have other things to spend my cash on.

------------------
Pissed off?
2004-08-04, 2:15 PM #15
...you guys have a pretty big misconception about modding. Only idiots go buy $15 dollar fan grills at CompUSA. Real modders spend hardly anything. The most expensive parts are the tools, which many of us have anyway, and if we don't they're extremely useful and good to have anyway.

I'm about half done with a System Shock 2 themed case, and I think I've spent like, twenty dollars on it. And ten of it was for a 25 pack of Dremel cutoff wheels which I have used for many other projects so far.

Case modding is no different than any other hobby like modeling or model rockets. Model rockets are seldom practical. Unless you have a barometer in there, you shoot it off because it's fun and because it looks cool. Building it is fun too.

There are different types of modders; stupid ones that spend money on lame blingbling mods from places like CompUSA. They spend $10 on a fan, $20 on lights, $50 dollars on a laser etched window (although I admit these are really cool, as the laser can make a 3D image), etc.

The other type is the kind of person that has mods that are both cool and/or practical. They get $0.69 cent standard fan grills from electronics surplus stores, not lame biohazard grills. Or they make them themselves. They cut an original window design and etch a custom design all by hand...They buy cheap cold cathodes ($6 from SVC.com and still top quality) or $0.30 to $0.45 LEDs. They build circuits to thermally control their super cheap $1.65 fans from SVC (which are the same as the $10 CompUSA fans), and spend no more than a dollar doing so. Or build fanbuses themselves for a small fraction of the retail price...you get the idea.

Basically there are people that buy overpriced premade junk from pimps-r-us, and the kind that build everything themselves and are more interested in practical modifications.

It's also a great way for most geeks to get away from the screen and get some fabrication experience. Unforunately this results in many stupid forumgoers that think they're master machinists because they can use a Dremel or a jigsaw. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-08-04, 2:43 PM #16
I modded my case. It's not really impressive though. I just put something like 9 fans in it, with holes for each one. Two in the window that I cut myself out of plexiglass, one in the top, two on the back and four on the front. I also have fan controllers and whatnot, but I didn't make them myself like Emon said. I wrapped all of the wires from my power supply to glow under the blacklights... I did the wrapping myself and removed the molex plugs with a screwdriver, not a 15 dollar tool like they sell at the mod websites. I did all of the modding myself, and even though I did use some of the premade junk that Emon is talking about, I still take a certain degree of pride when looking at it.

Next on the list. Chrome Pc. All aluminum Lian Li case sanded with 2200 grit sandpaper and buffed with a high speed polisher to perfect relflection. I know it's not actually chrome, but it will sure as hell look like it. Thow in some chrome fans and wire loom, with some nice louvers cut in the side and I think we've got a winner on our hands. That one will be expensive though.

------------------
I figure that one day I'll either be famous, or in prison. But I guess if I'm going to prison, I should probably try to do something that would make me famous anyway.
>>untie shoes
2004-08-04, 2:44 PM #17
I added racing stripes to mine. Makes it go faster.

------------------
<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
<jipe> .. yes, Ubuu, we're racist commy nazi jews, and we hate male pattern baldness
<Professor`K> Sorry, but half-way through your logic, my head exploded
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-08-04, 2:48 PM #18
Bill, I suggest reading this article if you're going to try polishing. You'll definitely want some abrasive chemical polishes to get the proper effect, and to help preserve the metal. The chap in that article ordered from English Custom Polishing (which appears to be down at the moment). Their polishes are fairly cheap for small amounts, and a little goes a long way with polish. They deal in the US, UK and I think will ship elsewhere (albeit more expensive). At the very least you should finish with a protective polish, otherwise the aluminum will return to its original dull look fairly quickly. A clearcoat also works but you probably don't need it with a good polish. See ECP's site about protective polishes; many brands are designed to actually corrode over time so you are forced to buy more polish. ECP is dedicated to quality products and service...I mean just check out their tutorial info, it's incredible how much they show you.

------------------
2004-08-04, 2:57 PM #19
I don't see why so many people are criticizing case modders these days. It's simply a hobby that they enjoy, obviously. Some people mod cars, some people mod houses, other mod computers. I really don't see what the big deal is.

------------------
www.MentatMM.com (status = down :/)
Napalm Death Squad (status = alpha)
2004-08-04, 3:11 PM #20
Why thank you, Emon.

------------------
I figure that one day I'll either be famous, or in prison. But I guess if I'm going to prison, I should probably try to do something that would make me famous anyway.
>>untie shoes
2004-08-04, 3:21 PM #21
I don't think they're criticizing all of them per-se, but rather the assholish ones with the "My 1337 case makes me better than you." attitude. It's those that like to berate others who don't follow their ideaology.

It's kind of like the guy with his car that spent thousands on a set of speakers and then goes around making fun of everyone who just prefers their stuff to be normal.
2004-08-04, 3:23 PM #22
I had a few mods in mind for my new computer. Then I realized how much it was going to cost me in time, money, and frustration. But even above all that, was the fact that one of the things I wanted was a custom window. Then I remembered that I have a habit of kicking the computer when it pisses me off. Yeah, not good to kick the window. So for now, all mods here are off.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-08-04, 3:47 PM #23
Emon beat me to it. While, I really don't take much pride in having a modded case, I occasionally fill loose time at the dorms during summer college classes, I mod cases for the stupid college kids. They pay me about 100 bucks for a modded case that usually costs me 15-25 bucks, and it looks dandy. I have the leasure of a very cheap computer-parts store just down the road from where the college, and I live at. (It's literally smack dab between the two.) While I don't do it as a hobby, I do tend to mod to make massive profit. I've never done some of the creative things you people have showcased before, but I've made some pretty shwank stuff.

That kill-bill mod is sexy. Very sexy. Makes me want to try something a little more extravagant for my next mod..

JediKirby

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-04, 4:44 PM #24
I don't do case modding for the fact that the case is standing in a position not all to prominent. That and I'm not so good with tools and building.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-08-04, 4:57 PM #25
It's also a practical thing. My case has good airflow, a few built-in fans, and three temperature monitors. All things I like since I'm overclocking the CPU and video card.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-08-04, 5:57 PM #26
adding more fans/cooling is more than understandable, but i don't understand making oyur computer look like the kill bill thing or the HL2 mod that was posted a few moths ago. To me, it just looks ugly. It's like how townies put nice rims on a s***ty old car.

------------------
2004-08-04, 6:26 PM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wolfy:
I added racing stripes to mine. Makes it go faster.

</font>

<3

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-04, 7:29 PM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
adding more fans/cooling is more than understandable, but i don't understand making oyur computer look like the kill bill thing or the HL2 mod that was posted a few moths ago. To me, it just looks ugly. It's like how townies put nice rims on a s***ty old car.

</font>

Consider things like that HL2 case art. Only instead of using canvas and oils, or photoshop, they use a computer case.

Now if you have to ask why people do art...

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2004-08-04, 7:35 PM #29
I think it's just like having your car detailed/painted/etc... The car don't run no faster with flames on the front but people do it anyway, cause it turns heads...

------------------
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2004-08-04, 7:41 PM #30
All know is eventually, I'm going to build a computer in a toaster (and the CD drive will pop out of the top).

------------------
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-08-04, 7:53 PM #31
I modded my case because I hate beige with a passion.

------------------
This post was proudly brought to you by KegZ™ - Now with 38% more Spam
Rock is dead - but I believe in necrophilia.
2004-08-04, 8:00 PM #32
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evil_Tofu:
All know is eventually, I'm going to build a computer in a toaster (and the CD drive will pop out of the top).

</font>

Apple did that already. They just stopped making them because the demand for that model wasn't that great or something similar. I thought it was cool...

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
Last Stand
2004-08-05, 5:47 AM #33
Yeah, man. It's just another form of art when you think about it. And art people, trust me here, can't leave anything along. I have modded my PC, my Xbox, my Xbox controllers, Guitar, and god knows what else. We just have to put our own touches on everything. Cause the fact of the matter is, we don't think anything is good enough as-is, because no one designs it to fit what we like. So we change it. Plus we're generally tight with money, so instead of spending 150 dollars on a cool case, we spend 30 on one and put 15 dollars worth of mods in it.

------------------
>>untie shoes
2004-08-05, 6:01 AM #34
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bill:
instead of spending 150 dollars on a cool case, we spend 30 on one and put 15 dollars worth of mods in it.

</font>

30 dollars on a case!?

JediKirby

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-05, 7:27 AM #35
Well I mean sometimes it's gotta be aluminum, you know?

------------------
>>untie shoes
2004-08-05, 1:53 PM #36
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
I think it's just like having your car detailed/painted/etc... The car don't run no faster with flames on the front but people do it anyway, cause it turns heads...

</font>

Exactly how many heads is a computer sitting in your room going to turn?

I really do not see the point in case modding. I have a plain black case. The only design aspects i thought about were getting black drives so they diddn't look out of place then I gave it two extra fans to increase airflow. Other than that I see no point in giving lights or a paint job.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!
-----@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-08-05, 2:14 PM #37
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi:
Exactly how many heads is a computer sitting in your room going to turn?

I really do not see the point in case modding. I have a plain black case. The only design aspects i thought about were getting black drives so they diddn't look out of place then I gave it two extra fans to increase airflow. Other than that I see no point in giving lights or a paint job.

</font>

Most people who case mod go to LAN parties.

------------------
2004-08-05, 3:54 PM #38
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:
I'm about half done with a System Shock 2 themed case</font>

Please, by all means, post some pictures. I absolutly love that game.
2004-08-05, 4:00 PM #39
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
Consider things like that HL2 case art. Only instead of using canvas and oils, or photoshop, they use a computer case.

Now if you have to ask why people do art...

</font>

Indeed. Some case mods are really creative and require quite a lot of artistic talent.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-05, 4:00 PM #40
I have col cathode lights, it was only 15 dollars, you can't upgrade anything on your computer for that...

------------------

"Bantha's are filthy animals.......I don't eat filthy animals."

"Laugh it up Fuzzball!"
-Han Solo

↑ Up to the top!