Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Workout Log Thread
Workout Log Thread
2008-03-18, 7:09 AM #1
So in the Fat Midget thread, the idea to have a Workout Log Thread came up. So here it is!

If you have any specific goals (which you should), I want you to post them at the bottom of your first post. Then everytime you meet one of you goals, post a new list in that post containing all the goals you haven't met, and any new goals.

The idea here is partially so you can just post what you're doing, but also so you can see how much you've progressed over time. For example, if you can do 10 pushups now, and in two months you can do 40, you can look back and see how much progress you've made.

If one of your goals is to lose weight, I want you to post your weight everytime you post as well. That way you can SEE the changes in it over time. Keeping a log with your weight posted everyday (or every couple of days) is FAR more effective than saying "I want to be x pounds" and then just trying to get there. You'll get discouraged much easier.

In order to keep it somewhat organized, lets have a format for posts. Try to keep to this format when posting your log.

Date
Type of Activity
Length of time participating
Details

A few helpful links: (I'll be adding to this as I come up with more):
www.crossfit.com <-- General workouts.
www.beastskills.com <-- Skill work
American Parkour Exercises <-- Good exercises and descriptions
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gfkznb-8rmE <-- QM Tutorial Video
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2008-03-18, 8:47 AM #2
Okay, I'll start.

Goals:
(Not necessarily in this order)
1) Lose some of the fat on my mid-riff, I'm not even fat by a long margin but I've been sitting down too much and I've lost some of the definition I used to have. (I don't think I can measure this or grade it in any meaningful way).
2) Get better at climbing, be able to climb higher grades than my current limit. (Start climbing Brit technical grade 5a consistently and be able to nail some 5bs)
(This will mostly entail improving overall flexibility and my upper body and grip strength)

I already cycle 8 miles daily and go hiking quite often. Final year uni work is getting in the way a lot of the time however. I intend to go back to running and to do some body weight based exercises since I don't have any weights of my own, nor can I afford the gyms here. Tips and suggestions welcome :) Until I've got myself a training routine together I can't really make any proper short term targets.
2008-03-18, 11:11 AM #3
3/18/2008
Neurostimulus
50 minutes

A lecture and discussion in biology class about evolution. Student questions resulted in massive :psyduck:. Probably burned 600 calories trying to block out the experience.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-03-18, 11:21 AM #4
Originally posted by Emon:
3/18/2008
Neurostimulus
50 minutes

A lecture and discussion in biology class about evolution. Student questions resulted in massive :psyduck:. Probably burned 600 calories trying to block out the experience.

I lol'ed
2008-03-18, 11:54 AM #5
haha! ok, my goals are basically the same as Recusant's!! I'd definitely place mine the other way around though, improving my climbing is my main priority. In order to do that I want to work through the following things:

Practice tucks using two chairs
Work up to tucks and eventually L-sits on the ground, on fingertips
Pressups - again, working up to fingertips
Negative chinups, working up to normal chinups
Once I feel confident enough, start using the campus boards at the climbing centre to work on both strength and movement

no pressure dud, as I know you're busy (and school takes priority, remember?!), but if you could help me with specific targets (maybe catch eachother on msn later) then that would be great. at the moment I'm just trying to hold for as long as I can/do enough reps to feel the strain without killing myself! but actual numbers would really help with motivation I think.

I'm loath to measure my waist, as even if a bit of weight-loss from my stomach is something I wouldn't mind happening, I don't want it to be my priority

(oh, and I don't remember numbers from yesterday, so I'll post some after tonight's attempts!)
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2008-03-18, 12:14 PM #6
Just a quick note - Goals are not "lose weight/bellyfat" or "run faster." You want hard, specific numbers. This way you can SEE the progress. If you say "I want to lose my bellyfat," well what's the indication that you're halfway there? 3/4 of the way? It's much harder to focus on generic goals than specific ones (and you can always update the specific ones later).

And maeve (and anyone else who wants some help/coaching on goals, or how to get there) - Definitely. Just drop me a line on MSN. (Sir_Happydud@hotmail.com) or AIM: superhappydud.

PS. I'll be participating in this thread too, but I completely destroyed myself physically over spring break and I'm taking some time off to rest and recover.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2008-03-18, 12:16 PM #7
My goal is pretty basic: be fit for the summer because my job is physically intensive. I need to be in good cardiovascular shape, good shape for hiking with a pack on and generally strong.

For the cardio, I play soccer and/or lacrosse 5 days a week. I also ref multiple lacrosse games on the weekends. If things are lacking for some reason, I'll get a 2-3 mile run in, though I prefer my running to be part of something fun.

The hiking is pretty simple: Hike up hills with a weighted pack on. I'm getting that in about once a week if the time permits.

Strengthwise, I do body weight stuff as much as I can because I don't want to be bulky, plus the larger number of reps I can do with push ups, etc, is more beneficial for working long hours out on fires.

Sunday: Reffed 3 lacrosse games (1.5 hours each), played a soccer game
Monday: Two mile run with push ups and core after each half mile, played lacrosse
Today: More lacrosse, more body weight (push ups, pull ups, chin ups, core)
Pissed Off?
2008-03-18, 1:07 PM #8
03/18/08
Went to Arby's
30 Minutes
It was delicious
2008-03-18, 4:20 PM #9
[LEFT]Goals:

1) Lose 25 pounds of fat. Of course, if I can't get some skin-fold calipers (haven't found any in my town so far), then I may just reduce this to "lose 25 pounds" and eliminate #2.

2) Gain 10 pounds of muscle.

3 Patterns of action that impede my goals:
1. Portion sizes too big.
2. Skipping workouts
3. Playing too many video games

3 Patterns of action to establish
1. Regular workouts
2. Go to bed earlier
3. Eat smaller portions, and eat more often

Today, like yesterday, I did nothing. Didn't get to bed until 12:30, and had to get up at 5:45 to get to work early this morning. Tonight, hopefully, I'll be able to get in bed earlier.

[/LEFT]
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2008-03-18, 4:39 PM #10
I don't need to lose weight. Like Recusant I just need to tone up some areas. I also just want to have a healthy lifestyle to counter balance some of my unhealthy activities. I just need to find out what kind of routine I should get into.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-03-19, 7:09 AM #11
this looks like fun.

My current weight is 185 pounds my goal is to weigh 160 pounds. To help me lose it, i'll drink water instead of soda more often, and use the caps from the water bottles to build a huge water bottle cap pyramid. :D
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
2008-03-19, 8:52 AM #12
I worked out a big ol' log just this morning.
2008-03-19, 9:40 AM #13
DATE: March 19, 2008
GOAL: Max out the Lying Leg Curl Machine
TIMEFRAME: This is Week 3 of my new workout regimen
DETAILS: The machine only goes to 60 kg (~132 lbs). Today I tried for my goal and could only do two. I want to do ten. I did ten of 50 kg. Next week I hope to do 55 kg reasonably well. Then I will make another Attempt.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2008-03-19, 3:35 PM #14
Okay.

I've been going to the gym since January 14th. I've had 22 sessions so far (I go three times a week). Today I did this:

18:00 cardio
3x10 calf raises (90)
1x10/4x5 assisted pullups (I'm at 40)
3x10 pullovers (35)
3x10 situps
3x10 bicycle kick things

My goal is generally to get bigger but I don't really know what kind of specific targets I should have.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2008-03-19, 4:18 PM #15
was feeling pretty grim yesterday, managed two tucks on chairs for 30 seconds each.

had an awesome climb tonight though - did two 5B climbs, which I would usually consider out of my range. tried a couple more that I didn't manage, but will try again next week. one definitely requires more strength, so I will keep on with the tucks and chinups (broom handle idea sounds great, gonna give that a go)

2008-03-19, 4:28 PM #16
tucks?
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2008-03-19, 5:11 PM #17
March 19, 2008
Running
~30:00 on the minus side

The route I ran I have figured at slightly over three miles. That means I was running a bit slow. The route is almost entirely on asphalt and cement, and I usually do a two or so minute walk on grass halfway through, to cool of from the impact on the asphalt. It's a really awesome canal road with in and out tree cover, private lanes, houses bigger than mine, and pretty girls driving by in BMWs. Then a random Mexican farm and old classy houses.

I have been running indoors on a rubberized running track for the majority of the winter, so I think that my temperature tolerance, joint conditioning, and pacing ability has slackened. I felt good, but my ankles are a little sore from running "barefoot"* as are the soles, as I ran through a field at a private park and got sticker balls stuck to the bottom.

*Vibram Fivefingers

Also

Strength Workout
---------
OAP 5x5
Pistols 4x5
Pullups 8x4
Glute-Ham Raise 3x10
Pike Press 4x5

Circuit;
Flag 5
Rollout 5
Chinnies 1 min
4x
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2008-03-19, 5:52 PM #18
Originally posted by Detty:
tucks?

building up to L-seats. as discussed in this thread and the fat midget one

2008-03-19, 5:55 PM #19
Vibram fivefingers are SO AWESOME.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2008-03-19, 6:54 PM #20
March 18:
Push ups 3x30
Inverted Push Ups: 3x20
Decline Push Up: 3x20
Pull ups: 3x5
Chin ups: 3x8
Bicycles (abs): 1x25
Crunches: 1x40
Sit ups (on workout ball) 1x50
Ran lots of lacrosse drills

Today: nada
Pissed Off?
2008-03-19, 7:02 PM #21
Originally posted by happydud:
Vibram fivefingers are SO AWESOME.

For shizzle. I love running barefoot but these are safer with almost no downside. It makes me run with good technique and I just feel so much more natural when I can feel rocks and stuff.
2008-03-20, 5:51 AM #22
Finally got around to making that QM tutorial video. This is my roommate Charlie, as I am recovering from a bit of a case of tennis elbow. :(

This was filmed in about 6 minutes, and edited in two hours. Most of that was rebooting and waiting for it to render three times because it decided it didn't want to render with audio...
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2008-03-21, 1:03 PM #23
your flat is a mess :P

2008-03-21, 3:34 PM #24
21st March
60 second tuck on chairs x 3
first serious attempt at a tuck on the floor = fail (lack of balance & strength in arms)
5 pressups using chair as a starting point (~30 degrees from ground) x 2

2008-03-21, 3:42 PM #25
Originally posted by happydud:
Finally got around to making that QM tutorial video. This is my roommate Charlie, as I am recovering from a bit of a case of tennis elbow. :(

This was filmed in about 6 minutes, and edited in two hours. Most of that was rebooting and waiting for it to render three times because it decided it didn't want to render with audio...

FINALLY.

Your text description sucked to a small degree.

:P
nope.
2008-03-21, 3:45 PM #26
21 March
Warmup
Light Jog (probably half a mile)
100 Jumping Jacks (ew)
50 Squats

Then I played paintball for 5 hours. Legs are sore.
2008-03-21, 5:09 PM #27
March 21
Morning Workout
15:00
5x5 One Arm Pushups
5x5 squats
5x5 Pike Press
5x5 Flag

That seems to be my throw in workout.
2008-03-24, 7:08 AM #28
it occurs to me, wasn't a main reason for creating this thread to be able to keep tabs on kirby's walking routine? and yet, there's no sign of him as yet...

2008-03-24, 7:21 AM #29
Day 1
-------
Attempted one of those tuck things on the floor, balanced just fine but it hurt my hands so I went and watched How I Met Your Mother instead.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2008-03-24, 9:11 AM #30
3/23/08 - 14.5 mile hike with 25 lb pack
Pissed Off?
2008-03-24, 10:21 AM #31
Day 1, (22nd)

got the flu....or some devil enhanced version of it.

Day 3,

lost my voice and have the urge to end the suffering in anyway possible.

--------------

Now I know guys like to complain about colds but what I have at the minute goes beyond any form of Flu/Cold I've had before. The fact that the crap I am now coughing up is tinged with red specs in it is beginning to get me worried...Add to this crazy dizzy spells, fever's, headaches, crazy back aches, a throat that feels as though it's on fire and general all round misery.

--------------

As for what I had planned, my sporting activities would have mostly included 2-3 days of skiing by now and maybe also a spell going swimming. The snow around geneva at the moment is awesome.

When I eventually get rid of this "thing from hell" the plan is to cycle into work at least 2-3 times a week, swimming once a week and learn how to do L-Sit's.

Now excuse me while I go wallow in my self pity.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2008-03-25, 10:04 PM #32
I did some light testing/rehab work on my elbow today. Mostly pushups, but also gave some examples of self defense techniques, I was testing to see if there are any problems. There was one or two minor twinges, but nothing major. I think I'm almost healed!

Also did some balance work. I was waiting for about 30 minutes for a ride somewhere, and I closed my eyes and practiced walking on a curb with my hands in my pockets. Very challenging, but got easier after about 10 minutes. I started by just balancing on one foot on the curb, then I tried walking forwards, then backwards. I opened my eyes and tried running for short distances on it, and then practiced spinning in circles and moving forward while on the curb - eyes open and closed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2008-03-27, 2:56 PM #33
Originally posted by Lord_Grismath:
DATE: March 19, 2008
TIMEFRAME: This is Week 3 of my new workout regimen
DETAILS: The machine only goes to 60 kg (~132 lbs). Today I tried for my goal and could only do two. I want to do ten. I did ten of 50 kg. Next week I hope to do 55 kg reasonably well. Then I will make another Attempt.

DATE: March 27, 2008
TIMEFRAME: This is Week 4 of my new workout regimen
DETAILS: What! 55 kg was too much. I fiddled with the adjustments on the machine, did 10 reps of 50 kg, and then went DOWN to 40 kg. I wasn't on my A game today. :smith:
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2008-03-27, 3:12 PM #34
had a pretty good climb tonight, finally did some top-roping, I was getting a bit worried about my stamina with all the bouldering I was doing! I think I did 13 full climbs, mostly 4's, with a few 5A's thrown in. then had yet another go at a 5B boulder problem that's been elusive for over a week now. still didn't crack it, but definitely made progress.

unfortunately, my left arm was absolutely throbbing at the end, which I think is an injury from last year, coming back to haunt me. it's nowhere near as bad as it was, but I just can't climb as hard as I want to whilst it's like this, so I think I need to lay off the climbing a bit and go back to my physio exercises for a while.

2008-03-27, 3:18 PM #35
ok, so I'm a bit silly. about 3 minutes after posting that last message, whilst waiting for the kettle to boil, I had the overwhelming urge to try some pressups, and managed 5 proper ones - more than I've managed before!

still quite stupid though, cos now my left arm hurts again!

2008-03-27, 5:57 PM #36
Two miles in ten minutes.

**** yeah.
2008-03-27, 6:10 PM #37
Originally posted by maevie:
... try some pressups, and managed 5 proper ones - more than I've managed before!

Fantastic! Weren't you complaining a little while ago that you could barely do one?

Progress/Victory is sweet. And painful. And sweet. :D
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2008-03-28, 3:36 AM #38
I believe what I said was that I could barely do a couple :P

but yeah, progress is being made, just a shame that I'm probably gonna have to lay off for a while

2008-03-28, 5:03 AM #39
Originally posted by Spook:
Two miles in ten minutes.

**** yeah.

Wow, that's really good.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2008-03-28, 12:25 PM #40
I need some quad exercises and hamstring exercises that won't aggravate my lower back.

I used to do squats with dumbells and lunges with dumbells, but they both leave my lower back hurting somewhat.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."

↑ Up to the top!