Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I kind of want to move to Mexico
I kind of want to move to Mexico
2008-03-27, 2:04 PM #1
http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1725839,00.html

Apparently you can beat up emos almost as much as you'd like.
2008-03-27, 2:05 PM #2
lulz, who wants to road trip down there?
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2008-03-27, 2:08 PM #3
Haha tacoboys
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2008-03-27, 2:09 PM #4
Wow, they actually use the term "emos" in the article. Great reporting there, Time.
2008-03-27, 2:13 PM #5
I don't know if I feel bad or not for chuckling at the Parental Advisory: Emo is Gay.

:P
nope.
2008-03-27, 2:23 PM #6
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Haha tacoboys

you know. if america liked tacos. this would be so much funnier than burgerboys.

that said, i think it's retarded. let people like what they want, sheesh.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2008-03-27, 2:27 PM #7
Considering **** like this happens in some situations, I don't find beating up emo kids (or anyone for that matter) funny.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2008-03-27, 2:36 PM #8
Originally posted by Seb:
you know. if america liked tacos. this would be so much funnier than burgerboys.

I'd probably have stopped using X-boys terms a long time ago if they hadn't been such crowd pleasers... but yeah, tacoboy would definitely be le bättre.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2008-03-27, 2:36 PM #9
Hey you know Rob, people with socks on their arms are more likely to get their asses kicked than emos.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2008-03-27, 2:40 PM #10
For the jarhead

[http://lolthulhu.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/tforte-inurjar.jpg]
2008-03-27, 2:46 PM #11
Considering that emo is about feeling sorry for yourself, this only encourages it.
2008-03-27, 2:47 PM #12
I find your lack of culture disturbing.
2008-03-27, 2:56 PM #13
Americans love tacos. Duh.
Warhead[97]
2008-03-27, 3:27 PM #14
I was talking to Ohwouldyoupleasegooutside.
2008-03-27, 3:39 PM #15
This is actually pretty ****ed up :\
D E A T H
2008-03-27, 3:48 PM #16
I was speaking to Seb. He was all "IF americans liked tacos" and I was all...americans love tacos. Because we're americans!
Warhead[97]
2008-03-27, 4:15 PM #17
I think violence towards people who look and behave differently is the sign of the primitive mind. So those violent Mexican punks can go to hell. But I find the situation of "emo and proud" baffling, especially if I, let's say, didn't know anything about emos.

[quote=From article]In yearbooks, they're the kids who wear exaggerated haircuts and immerse themselves in moody music. In short: the kids jocks have been beating up for decades.
Emos are just one of the colorful youth cultures popular in the U.S. and Europe that have swept over the Rio Grande as the nation opens up its economy and politics and a new generation grows up with the Internet and cable TV. Punks, goths, rockabillies, rastas, breakdancers, skaters and metallers all now pace Mexican streets, adorn its plazas and spray paint its walls. But while most of the trends have met with a begrudging acceptance, emos have provoked a violent backlash.[/quote]

So despite just reading such a dramatic and unpleasant scene as the introduction, it has to understood that "emo" is merely a "culture trend"? So it's not anything about being gay or belonging to a certain race but instead just following a fairly recent and obviously media-produced lifestyle? Okay.

But then in the same paragraph:
[quote=the article]Furthermore, emos complain they are being increasingly threatened and assaulted by smaller groups on the streets on a daily basis. "It's getting dangerous for us to go out now. We get shouted at and spat on. We get things thing thrown at us. There is so much hate out there," said Santino Bautista, a 16-year-old emo high school student sitting in a Mexico City plaza alongside other teenagers in tight black jeans and dark makeup.[/quote]

So it is almost like being racially discriminated against? Now I getting the picture of black man hiding away from lynch mob, but in the case, it only really comes down to clothes and mascara?

Yes, it seems something there is something very wrong with the social culture of the Mexican youth here and is in dire need of fixing. But I can't help thinking that in the meantime, to avoid actual bodily harm, don't wear emo-style clothing? So is there some sort of ideology attached to the fashion that an "emo" can't do without? Because the article seems to suggest that it's nothing really more than a product of what's new in youth culture.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-03-27, 4:33 PM #18
I bet gold is an emo
2008-03-27, 5:09 PM #19
Originally posted by Jon`C:
I bet gold is an emo

Can't be true:

[quote=from article]The emos make a soft target for the aggressors. The vast majority are teenagers, often just 15 or 16 years old. Most are from comfortable middle-class backgrounds...[/quote]
2008-03-27, 5:12 PM #20
gold is totally middle class by mexican standards
2008-03-27, 5:54 PM #21
Originally posted by Rob:
For the jarhead

Is that Cthulhu?

[http://faroutshirts.com/images/cthulhu4Prez-preview-5.png]
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2008-03-27, 6:17 PM #22
Originally posted by Baconfish:
I don't know if I feel bad or not for chuckling at the Parental Advisory: Emo is Gay.

I LOL'ed and I don't feel bad
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-03-27, 8:22 PM #23
Quote:
After police eventually steamed in and made arrests, the bloody victims lay sobbing on the concrete waiting for ambulances while the mob ran through the nearby streets laughing and cheering.
go figure.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2008-03-27, 8:37 PM #24
Originally posted by Rob:
For the jarhead

[http://lolthulhu.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/tforte-inurjar.jpg]

cthulhu in a jar?
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2008-03-27, 10:48 PM #25
Originally posted by Baconfish:

Yeah nice placement on that, I think time was trying to send a message.
There...are...FOUR...lights!
2008-03-28, 1:14 AM #26
Originally posted by Echoman:
Yes, it seems something there is something very wrong with the social culture of the Mexican youth here and is in dire need of fixing. But I can't help thinking that in the meantime, to avoid actual bodily harm, don't wear emo-style clothing? So is there some sort of ideology attached to the fashion that an "emo" can't do without? Because the article seems to suggest that it's nothing really more than a product of what's new in youth culture.

So you should dress differently because someone doesn't like your style?
Sorry for the lousy German
2008-03-28, 3:00 AM #27
Yes, you should just dress the same.
And you gay people should stop kissing each other or holding hands in public.
And black people should paint their skin white, or have a really good bath and scrub that black right off!

Conform or die! Conform or die! Conform or die!

EDIT:
Also, even though I really dislike emos, I gotta say that article made me think these people are pretty screwed up (and I don't mean the emos)
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2008-03-28, 5:36 AM #28
Originally posted by Impi:
So you should dress differently because someone doesn't like your style?

Or better yet, leave Mexico because Mexico sucks.
2008-03-28, 8:49 AM #29
Originally posted by Deadman:
Yes, you should just dress the same.
And you gay people should stop kissing each other or holding hands in public.
And black people should paint their skin white, or have a really good bath and scrub that black right off!

Conform or die! Conform or die! Conform or die!

This argument is retarded and I can't believe I considered for even one second to point out just how retarded it is. Think with your brain, not your bleeding heart.
2008-03-28, 8:54 AM #30
weirdo goth kids got the snot beaten out of them in my town back when nu-metal was popular, now i guess emo kids get the beatings.

teenagers are retards anyway so if they're gonna fight they may as well fight the most retarded retards.
2008-03-28, 9:15 AM #31
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
Considering **** like this happens in some situations, I don't find beating up emo kids (or anyone for that matter) funny.

Agreed.

Here's some pictures before she died.

This whole "I want to beat some <insert social subculture here> tonight" is childish.
2008-03-28, 9:34 AM #32
Quote:
After police eventually steamed in and made arrests, the bloody victims lay sobbing on the concrete waiting for ambulances

For some reason, I burst out in laughter when I read that.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2008-03-28, 9:38 AM #33
Laughing at the pain of others? I didn't figure Jepman would do such things.
2008-03-28, 9:44 AM #34
Its the sobbing part. The article really wanted to emphasize their emo-ness.

But yea, its a sad thing. Just like the gay beatings. It sucks.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2008-03-28, 11:25 AM #35
/-_\\
2008-03-28, 12:12 PM #36
Originally posted by Anovis:
Laughing at the pain of others? I didn't figure Jepman would do such things.

No, it's not that. It's just that it sounds almost like nothing out of the ordinary had happened.

The thing that is irritating about emos is that their whole persona is defined by feeling sorry for themselves and cultivating a smug sense of superiority over everyone else. This incident shows that that there are more obnoxious groups of people to worry about. High schoolers in general tend to be a painfully immature lot. We should require some sort of boot came right after middle school.
2008-03-28, 12:31 PM #37
Middle schoolers are worse, they're just too physically weak to be a problem.
2008-03-28, 12:35 PM #38
Putting on tight pants and cutting your hair a different way doesnt mean you have to feel sorry for yourself. Honestly Ive met plenty of annoying emo kids, but most of the time they dress like that because of the bands they listen to.

But I guess its the cool thing to do to make fun of people. (lolroblol)
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-03-28, 1:14 PM #39
I don't think it's socially acceptable to commit violence for any reason, but I think it's just ridiculous when someone tries to draw a parallel between people mocking you for dressing up as a sad clown and people lynching you for being black.

Goths and emos are not being singled out because they are expressing genetic traits that people dislike. Goths and emos actively choose to build their entire social identity, persona and style of dress around something as base and shallow as the type of music they listen to. They don't deserve to be beaten, but short of being afforded the freedom to express themselves they are not entitled to any respect for being non-conformantly conformist.

I would very much like to dismiss this train of thought before someone invents a new obnoxious term like "cliquism" oh god damn it
2008-03-28, 1:25 PM #40
I agree with you, Jon. But it's still considered prejudice.

↑ Up to the top!