Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Financial Situation:
Financial Situation:
2008-04-11, 11:01 AM #1
I feel really bad doing this, but as a few of you know, my life has gone to **** the past year or so.

The concern right now is Massassi. The server costs $170/month. Unfortunately, after all my hosting drives, I'm only covering a little less than half of this.

As much as I'd love to continue funding Massassi directly, being often unable to work has made this very difficult. So I turn to you all. Any donations you all can send in would be fantastic. I promise all funds will go to paying for the server (I'll provide screenshot evidence on request), and any extra funds this month will go towards paying future months.

coolmatt@sorrowind.net is my paypal address. I'll try and get a donate button up soon.

Cautionary note: Massassi is not going to close. This server on which Massassi resides is pretty much my life, as depressing as that may sound. All hosted folks should have nothing to worry about. I'm just hoping to get some help in this.

Thanks
Matt
2008-04-11, 11:13 AM #2
Can't you put the google ads back? Would that help?
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2008-04-11, 11:14 AM #3
I'm considering it, but from what Brian has told me, they barely paid pittance, to the point where it wasn't worth the annoyance.
2008-04-11, 11:16 AM #4
oh, in that case, What position of power can I buy my way into? :ninja:
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2008-04-11, 11:20 AM #5
Yes. Power. >.>
2008-04-11, 11:29 AM #6
Are you sure it's coolmatt@sorrowind.net? Not coolmatty@sorrowind.net?

If I had employment atm I'd gladly give some money up. The fun in being unemployed.
D E A T H
2008-04-11, 11:36 AM #7
I might be good for 20$. I'm unemployed, but various debts are trickling slowly back to me.
2008-04-11, 11:40 AM #8
I might be able to slip a few dollars in myself depending on my tax return, however I can't make a promise just yet considering my own completely ****ty financial situation.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2008-04-11, 11:41 AM #9
I'll throw some in for sure, bout time I paid some dues haha. Also, check out and see if you can do a newegg ad. Most of us here use it, I personally would not mind a single banner ad. (or even those ads that seperate every 5 or so posts) if it helped keep this old boat afloat.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2008-04-11, 11:50 AM #10
I have no intention of fueling CM's crack habit.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-04-11, 11:52 AM #11
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Are you sure it's coolmatt@sorrowind.net? Not coolmatty@sorrowind.net?

If I had employment atm I'd gladly give some money up. The fun in being unemployed.

It's coolmatt, no y. I had it right in the op.

I don't expect many to donate, I'm just exploring all my options at the moment :/
2008-04-11, 11:56 AM #12
Massassi is my life, so I contributed. Giving is good. :D
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2008-04-11, 12:01 PM #13
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
It's coolmatt, no y. I had it right in the op.

I don't expect many to donate, I'm just exploring all my options at the moment :/

K, just making sure. Don't want someone to donate to the wrong person :\
D E A T H
2008-04-11, 12:20 PM #14
By the way, I am willing to take suggestions for "extra features" for donators here.

Maybe having the option of setting your own title? Or getting XXXTREME RAINBOW EFFECT NAMES?!!?!?!
2008-04-11, 12:26 PM #15
I'd pay the server costs myself for EXTREME NAMES.

Well, not really. Maybe a fiver.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2008-04-11, 12:31 PM #16
By the way, I am willing to take suggestions for "extra features" for donators here.

Maybe having the option of setting your own title? Or getting XXXTREME RAINBOW EFFECT NAMES?!!?!?!

Can the "ISB" part of "ISB kingpin" in my title be a hyperlink to the ISB? Otherwise, the added guilt will be enough for me. ;)
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2008-04-11, 1:14 PM #17
If we all gave a buck a month (ignoring the fact that paypal would screw that up), I'm sure we could put together a great deal of money.

CM, are you able to add 2 dollars to my hosting subscription? If so, please do. Another 24 bucks a year couldn't hurt, could it?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-04-11, 1:17 PM #18

I LIKE EXTREME NAMES.

Set your own title is kind of meh. Because then people like wookie would just pay for a change and it would take all of the fun out of it.

Another forum I post on, when you want to change your name you buy credits. It's like $1.00. You do the whole thing over paypal, I think.
2008-04-11, 1:33 PM #19
I'll donate for sure in the summer.
2008-04-11, 3:04 PM #20
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
(or even those ads that seperate every 5 or so posts)

Please no. I've stopped using several forums because of this ad scheme. I understand that ads should be visible, but they should NOT interrupt content.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2008-04-11, 3:08 PM #21
How much would I have to donate to get control over the "Nailface" user name with a custom Nailface avatar?

Just wondering.
2008-04-11, 3:27 PM #22
Originally posted by happydud:
Please no. I've stopped using several forums because of this ad scheme. I understand that ads should be visible, but they should NOT interrupt content.

What if I replace all of Yoshi's posts with google ads? :v:
2008-04-11, 3:50 PM #23
I spend a lot of time lurking around Massassi. It's been good over the years :) so I donated some $.
"You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth!! No truth-handler you!! Bah!! I deride your truth-handling ability!!"
2008-04-11, 6:25 PM #24
What if I replace all of Yoshi's posts with google ads? :v:

Nothing would change. "Product name here."
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-04-11, 10:21 PM #25
twenty bucks to CM

admin now kthnx
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-04-11, 10:40 PM #26
please, no extreme names =s
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2008-04-11, 10:49 PM #27
I really hate the idea of paying for avatars or user titles or whatnot. That's one stay away from paying for moderator rights.

Perhaps you should bring back the ads anyway, I'm sure they'll help a little bit.
2008-04-11, 11:55 PM #28
I'm not doing avatars, in keeping with Massassi tradition.

And custom titles isn't anywhere near moderator "rights", for numerous reasons:

A. Moderators can't change other people's custom titles.
B. Changing your own custom title is done in your UserCP, not ModCP
C. Cause it isn't :colbert:
2008-04-11, 11:55 PM #29
Originally posted by Vincent Valentine:
I really hate the idea of paying for avatars or user titles or whatnot. That's one stay away from paying for moderator rights.

Perhaps you should bring back the ads anyway, I'm sure they'll help a little bit.

I'm with this, the only thing I could see as a good idea concerning this is just have a little emblem under the screen name saying that this person helped fund the server. I wouldn't mind giving a little bit to help fund it, it'll have to wait 'til the summer if t all possible, but I'd be more than happy to give a bit.
2008-04-12, 8:05 AM #30
Thanks to everyone who's donated so far. As for those who wanted to donate but couldn't use paypal for whatever reason, keep checking, I'm looking into a paypal donate button where you can simply use your credit card, no account needed. As for those who wanted to mail me money, my address is:

Matt Merkle
1861 Vanderbilt Dr.
Loveland OH 45140

I also take spare E8500 CPUs and 8800GTs :p
2008-04-12, 8:22 AM #31
Looooooooooveland
2008-04-12, 8:27 AM #32
I've got $5 in my paypal account so you can have it
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-04-12, 8:29 AM #33
I'm looking into a paypal donate button where you can simply use your credit card, no account needed.

I setup a system like this for a client's website.. it just allows people to use there card without having a paypal but it isn't free it costs money.. Paypal has there own API which you use.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-04-12, 8:42 AM #34
Originally posted by Rob:
I LIKE EXTREME NAMES.

Set your own title is kind of meh. Because then people like wookie would just pay for a change and it would take all of the fun out of it.

Another forum I post on, when you want to change your name you buy credits. It's like $1.00. You do the whole thing over paypal, I think.

True. Also, you could make much more money by paying to change someone else's title.
2008-04-12, 9:43 AM #35
Can we get a list or something of those who have donated so we can guilt/ridicule those who havent? :argh:
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2008-04-12, 10:23 AM #36
Funny, when I thought Cool Matty owned a server, I thought he actually owned a server rack in his house. Which I thought was both cool and unusual.

I'll donate something. I have to see if I can get my paypal working. Cool Matty did "fix" the "thing", so that works in his favor.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-04-12, 10:27 AM #37
I'm kind of surprised you'd donate, Spork, as you hardly post anymore. Do you lurk around a lot?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2008-04-12, 10:38 AM #38
From time to time. But, you know, good memories and all plus Matty is a decent enough bloke who seems to care about the place, plus I make a decent enough salary these days.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2008-04-12, 12:18 PM #39
I have $20 CAD in my paypal account, it's yours.

I wouldn't mind paying a couple of bucks a month to keep Massassi running. If we can get a bunch of people to do that it'd help greatly.

As far as "rewards", nothing too crazy. Maybe a small image under the username that indicates the person has donated (that's what PBN does), and the ability to set the custom title or something. Unless somebody has a better idea. After all, we don't want it to be like people are "paying for features", just a little something nice to acknowledge the person's donation would be good.
2008-04-12, 12:19 PM #40
Donations are great and all.... but you're going to have to donate again next month too.

I say put the adds up, at the top of the page. Google Ads only pay on clicks, not views, right? I'll be happy to click at least once a day.

↑ Up to the top!