Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Financial Situation:
Financial Situation:
2008-04-12, 12:24 PM #41
Originally posted by Vincent Valentine:
I say put the adds up, at the top of the page. Google Ads only pay on clicks, not views, right? I'll be happy to click at least once a day.

I'm pretty sure I've heard that it's not good to just click ads. I forget the exact reason, and I don't know if it applies to Google ads. Just something to think about.
2008-04-12, 12:25 PM #42
Well, I'll click, and then poke around on the advertised site.
2008-04-12, 7:10 PM #43
As Brian used to say, you should only click on ads if you're genuinely interested, otherwise it'll devalue the clicks overall and I wouldn't make as much money on it.

I'll compile a list of donators in a bit, although I don't think I'll post the amounts (just the total) so that individual donators don't feel bad for donating less than another. Any money is more than I could expect of you all.
2008-04-12, 8:44 PM #44
I just had to quit my job today as I'm moving in a week. After I get settled in another couple weeks I can help out.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2008-04-12, 9:10 PM #45
i gave what i could. i've been around for so long, it's time i paid my dues!
"NAILFACE" - spe
2008-04-12, 9:14 PM #46
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
As Brian used to say, you should only click on ads if you're genuinely interested, otherwise it'll devalue the clicks overall and I wouldn't make as much money on it.

I'll compile a list of donators in a bit, although I don't think I'll post the amounts (just the total) so that individual donators don't feel bad for donating less than another. Any money is more than I could expect of you all.

Sounds good. Could we get an overall total though? Just for curiosity's sake.
2008-04-13, 2:37 PM #47
some of what I could spare is on its way.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2008-04-13, 3:25 PM #48
Donators so far:

Gebohq
Evad
*Tim
Genki
Zanardi
Spork
Aglar
LividDK
Seb
Chaz Ghostal
*Andrew

If you have an asterisk in front of your name it's cause I don't know who you are :/

Cash total (before paypal fees and rough estimation of currency conversion): $265!
2008-04-13, 3:56 PM #49
Cash total (before paypal fees and rough estimation of currency conversion): $265!

Woohoo.

Happy to help.
2008-04-13, 4:30 PM #50
My donation consisted of a ziplock bag of 20 year old Lucky Charm marshmallows and three paper clips.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2008-04-13, 4:45 PM #51
Originally posted by Gebohq:
My donation consisted of a ziplock bag of 20 year old Lucky Charm marshmallows and three paper clips.

Estimated eBay value: OVER NINE THOUSAND
2008-04-13, 6:34 PM #52
that's awesome. good news.
2008-04-13, 7:27 PM #53
damn, makes me wonder what three people put in $30
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-04-13, 7:43 PM #54
Since CoolMatty sucks at checking his private messages:

I don't have a Paypal account. Is there a mailing address to which I can send a check?
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2008-04-13, 7:48 PM #55
Thanks to everyone who's donated so far. As for those who wanted to donate but couldn't use paypal for whatever reason, keep checking, I'm looking into a paypal donate button where you can simply use your credit card, no account needed. As for those who wanted to mail me money, my address is:

Matt Merkle
1861 Vanderbilt Dr.
Loveland OH 45140

I also take spare E8500 CPUs and 8800GTs :p

;)
2008-04-13, 7:49 PM #56
Damn it. :argh:
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2008-04-13, 8:09 PM #57
Wolfy sucks at reading threads. :colbert:
2008-04-13, 9:06 PM #58
I'll give you my tax refund.

not
2008-04-13, 9:34 PM #59
I can gather a little bit of money together this summer since I'll be getting a job, but it won't be much since I want to put some of the money to my loans so they don't accrue too much interest
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2008-04-13, 9:37 PM #60
I tried working while in college.

Spent every last drop on booze and eating out. :-/
2008-04-13, 10:28 PM #61
*Tim is me :)
"You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth!! No truth-handler you!! Bah!! I deride your truth-handling ability!!"
2008-04-14, 12:02 AM #62
Sorry to hear about the trouble. I have attached an image showing the "all time" google ad revenue for the site. (about $100 a year on average, but really most of it came in 2005) Keep in mind the reports don't show the date ranges, so you can't see from these numbers that more of the money was made longer ago, more recently it really tapered off as pageviews tapered off. As you can see the best performing is probably the level info pages and the main page. The forums were bad.

Yes, DO NOT click on ads just to "help", they really get pissed (and they do track everyone who clicks). If you click a lot and never buy anything, they will think CM is a fraudster and shut him down.

It looks like the donations have really helped, thanks a lot guys.
Attachment: 19059/ad_revenue_all_time.png (11,629 bytes)
2008-04-23, 4:56 AM #63
Sorry for the thread necro (kinda.)

I'll send you more than usual for my server hosting. You know who I am. iStalk you....
2008-04-23, 7:41 PM #64
Donate money to have people bash my sense of humor?

Where do I sign up?
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2008-04-23, 8:06 PM #65
You can't bash what doesn't exist.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-04-24, 4:14 AM #66
I'll give 10 dollars if I can :downswords:
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2008-04-24, 8:57 AM #67
I would drop the server. Kill all of the non-pertinent data, compress the forums, throw it on a cheapo hosting plan, call it a day. If this means the end of woggle, well, better woggle than forums.m.net. I can't believe you drop that much a month!

P.S.
This is why things are never left in my care ;)

Seriously though that's a major cost; don't put yourself into debt over massassi.

Also, even with the donated money, I think it would be circumspect to attempt to lower monthly costs. It will make donated money last longer and be better for you too.
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2008-05-03, 7:46 PM #68
I'm with Brad. I would just get yourself a good hosting plan for cheaper. $170/mo. is expensive.

What makes up $170?
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.

↑ Up to the top!