Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → working on your car
working on your car
2008-04-14, 5:21 PM #1
I just finished replacing the fuel filter and fuel pump on my Jetta. It decided to die, leaving me carless yesterday. Did it all myself and ended up only spending $400 in parts. The dealer wanted $800 to do the job, so I feel pretty good about it. :D

Just curious how many on Massassi work on their cars themselves...
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-04-14, 5:27 PM #2
Smelly public transit filled with suburbanites who think Austrailia is full of criminals FTW.
2008-04-14, 5:29 PM #3
I do basic stuff, oil, filters, etc.
Pissed Off?
2008-04-14, 5:38 PM #4
I don't have a car at the moment, but in the past I've done a fair amount of work, and if I had one now, I would be doing it myself. So long as it didn't take too much time or effort, and was within my skill level.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-04-14, 5:56 PM #5
Nope, unless you count changing wiper blades ;)
2008-04-14, 6:52 PM #6
I do most of the work... but if its something major like power steering pump which was replaced due to it getting ****ed up by my sister... then i have a place do it
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2008-04-14, 6:54 PM #7
I do it by myself, "myself" being defined as my brother and I.
2008-04-14, 7:03 PM #8
Engine: Someone else. Although I wish to change that.

Exterior: Myself.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2008-04-14, 7:05 PM #9
Only thing I didn't do myself was changing the clutch.
2008-04-14, 7:06 PM #10
I've done everything so far.. but because its a toyota pickup that means all i've done is change the oil+filter, antifreeze, and air filter. It needs a tune up soon, but shop manuals are hard to obtain.

o.0
2008-04-14, 7:17 PM #11
I do just the basics. Acctualy that reminds me i need to check my oil.
BUt anyway, I'd love to be able to do more but I simply don't have the time to learn. Also I use my car too much to be able to make a mistake.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2008-04-14, 7:25 PM #12
i do the basics if i know how to on that particular car, but i'll go in for transmission fluid change on them all, i don't trust myself on that.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-04-14, 8:18 PM #13
Depends on how much I feel like doing something.
2008-04-14, 8:27 PM #14
I used to do most stuff myself, but I've been lazy lately..it's much easier to pay someone to do it when it's 20 degrees and snowing. :P
woot!
2008-04-14, 8:29 PM #15
I checked my oil today.

2008-04-14, 8:31 PM #16
As a mechanic, I think it would be a shame if I didn't.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2008-04-14, 9:22 PM #17
I have a friend who does it.
2008-04-14, 9:25 PM #18
Originally posted by genk:
i do the basics if i know how to on that particular car, but i'll go in for transmission fluid change on them all, i don't trust myself on that.

Transmission fluid exchange is also very easy, especially if it's a manual transmission. Not much harder than an oil change.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2008-04-14, 10:47 PM #19
My uncle and I did a head gasket and timing belt on my MR2 - that was a PITA..not a whole lot of room back there..
woot!
2008-04-14, 10:54 PM #20
Originally posted by Murc XIII:
I checked my oil today.

This :ninja:

I'd like to learn how to do some of this stuff. The last time my car broke I just brought it to the dealership. *glares at fishstickz*
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-04-15, 4:37 AM #21
I personally have no interests in spending my time on my car, when its almost as cheap to go in and get it fixed by a 'professional' and spend my time doing other fun stuff. I of course check all my liquids and do a decent inspection to make sure that nothing is going horribly wrong, but aside from that, my car is for going from point A to point B, sometime C and D.

No need to give it love, on my part.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2008-04-15, 5:30 AM #22
I would do, sicne I'm a cheap-arse.

Alas, I still can't drive.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2008-04-15, 7:20 AM #23
Originally posted by Jep:
when its almost as cheap to go in and get it fixed by a 'professional'

Uh no it isn't?
2008-04-15, 7:30 AM #24
I walk everywhere or take the train.
nope.
2008-04-15, 7:35 AM #25
Originally posted by Rob:
Uh no it isn't?

i agree

last time i did my car filter and oil was a grand total of $17

Go to an oil change place? $30
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-04-15, 7:41 AM #26
I personally have no interests in spending my time on my car, when its almost as cheap to go in and get it fixed by a 'professional' and spend my time doing other fun stuff. I of course check all my liquids and do a decent inspection to make sure that nothing is going horribly wrong, but aside from that, my car is for going from point A to point B, sometime C and D.

No need to give it love, on my part.

Yeah you might drop some dough on tools & parts, but once you got everything, you do save $$. I want to try and do as much as my 30K maintenance as possible.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2008-04-15, 7:46 AM #27
IF you don't want to pay for the one time cost of tools, you can rent a garage bay with tools for an afternoon for pretty cheap.

If you want to learn how to do things, in many places there are shops that charge less because someone helps you do all the work.
2008-04-15, 8:08 AM #28
IF you don't want to pay for the one time cost of tools, you can rent a garage bay with tools for an afternoon for pretty cheap.

If you want to learn how to do things, in many places there are shops that charge less because someone helps you do all the work.

Not up here..lol
woot!
2008-04-15, 8:10 AM #29
The only time I don't work on my own car is when its under warranty. I'd much rather let someone else do the work so if they mess something up, its covered. (Dealer work that is).

I just recently replaced the clutch in my RSX (it was bad when I bought it), thats a day long job.... dropping the subframe is not fun.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2008-04-15, 9:57 AM #30
Uh no it isn't?

It is where I live, sister.

I might save a few bucks if I do it myself, but its really not worth my time.
2008-04-15, 10:19 AM #31
No it isn't.
2008-04-15, 11:07 AM #32
I get military discounts and it is cheaper.

*****es.

If I had a car that I enjoyed working on I would do more. But something about my current car pisses me of. I change oil sometimes, filters, I can fix the outside, and some of the stuff in the engine, but for the most part I take it somewhere.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2008-04-15, 11:08 AM #33
It is where I live, sister.

I might save a few bucks if I do it myself, but its really not worth my time.

Originally posted by NoESC:
ended up only spending $400 in parts. The dealer wanted $800

If it's anything major I can usually do it much cheaper than taking it somewhere. Especially on the german cars I'm fond of for some unknown reason.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-04-15, 11:12 AM #34
I have a challenge for jepman

I'll pour sugar in his gas tank. And we'll find out if it's cheaper for him to drop an engine in himself or have a mechanic do it. :P
2008-04-15, 11:22 AM #35
You people are pretty ****ing dumb, aren't you?

OBVIOUSLY I'm commenting on maintenance repairs such as oil changes and the like, not about heavy duty changes such as an engine. If you couldn't figure that out for yourself, you're either pretty damn shallow or just trying to look smart.

Of course dropping a new engine into the car is gonna be cheaper if you do it yourself than if you take it into the garage.

However, in my case, I have a friend or two who are mechanics and will gladly do it for me on off hours and not charge the full price. I can also get some pretty cheap parts for my car though my father, thus it really doesn't blow the price through the roof whether I do it myself or with a mechanic.

That aside, I wouldn't have the knowledge, place or patience to do it. Mechanical maintenance really never was a hobby of mine, but hey, if it is for you and you enjoy it, kudos to you.
2008-04-15, 11:47 AM #36
I love cars. I look for excuses to put it on jack stands and replace something.

When my civic got stolen and stripped last year I took my $4500 check and rebuilt it myself.

Projects this spring.. paint and boost the civic. Build my 350sbc and put it in my hotrod
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-04-15, 1:29 PM #37

I'll pour sugar in his gas tank.

Wouldn't that require a significant amount of sugar for a noticeable impact?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-04-15, 1:46 PM #38

OBVIOUSLY I'm commenting on maintenance repairs such as oil changes and the like,

All of which cost about twice as much as doing it yourself.
2008-04-15, 1:55 PM #39
Originally posted by Echoman:
Wouldn't that require a significant amount of sugar for a noticeable impact?

You'd be surprised.
2008-04-15, 2:55 PM #40

Yes I'm obviously very ****ing dumb for not knowing all that about you! I should have known you have friends that give you a discount on labor and family that get you a discount on parts!

:suicide:

And, so you know, just did the transmission fluid change on my friends car. Dealer/shops wanted ~$200-$300, we did it for $50.

Maintenance item, and MUCH cheaper to do it yourself.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT

↑ Up to the top!