Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Armenian Genocide Day
Armenian Genocide Day
2008-04-24, 4:55 PM #1
Lots of people with "93 years of Denial," "Boycott Turkey!" "Armenians Massacred 93 years ago" "Not recognized, Armenian Genocide" type of messages on shirts.

News cover?
Back again
2008-04-24, 4:56 PM #2
and tomorrow is National Silent Day as well.
Back again
2008-04-24, 5:02 PM #3
I'd never even heard of this thing before massassi.
nope.
2008-04-24, 5:06 PM #4
I'm pretty sure SAJN mentioned it time to time.
Back again
2008-04-24, 5:10 PM #5
Made up genocides are fun to celebrate.

Oh wait nobody cares.
D E A T H
2008-04-24, 5:16 PM #6
I'm sure the Kurds are very happy you people are more concerned with what the Turks did almost 100 years ago and not what they're doing today.
omnia mea mecum porto
2008-04-24, 5:25 PM #7
Tomorrow's also ANZAC Day. :eng101:

But yeah, what Roach said. Not that the Armenian Genocide should be forgotten or anything, but for all the handwringing the world does over past genocides, you'd think they'd be more eager to do something about current ones.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2008-04-24, 5:35 PM #8
Originally posted by Roach:
I'm sure the Kurds are very happy you people are more concerned with what the Turks did almost 100 years ago and not what they're doing today.

wah wah you people you people wah
2008-04-24, 5:46 PM #9
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Made up genocides are fun to celebrate.

Oh wait nobody cares.

Shut the f*** up. You make me sick. 1.5 million people dead, and you call it a made up genocide? Not only are their survivors of the genocide, there are pictures of the genocide, documents, and even Hitler himself stated that The Armenian Genocide was the stepping stone for his own genocide. Hitler said "Who now remembers the Armenians?"

This isn't about being a System of a Down fan, this is about being a freaking human being, and feeling compasonate for the Armenian people.

Seriously, get off your high horse, and if you don't have anything contructive to say, just don't talk. You make me sick when you say stuff like that. The Armenian Genocide was very much real, and your an ignorant ***.

Not only is the recognition of this genocide important to those who've suffered through it, it's also important to prevent further genocides around the world. There are genocides happening all over the world today. Darfur has been happening for years, and if we continue to deny genocide we're only setting the future up for more of it to occur. Get a brain people. Nobody is saying the Armenian Genocide is more important now than the genocide's occuring in the present, but the reason these genocides are currently occuring is because history shows people that they can get away with mass murder. If you deny the past, you leave the future open for more of the same.
Think while it's still legal.
2008-04-24, 6:04 PM #10
Originally posted by saberopus:
wah wah you people you people wah

Well obviously not you, saberopus, I'm sure the Kurds don't really want your support.
omnia mea mecum porto
2008-04-24, 6:13 PM #11
Just curious SAJN, do you know a lot of Armenians?
Back again
2008-04-24, 6:17 PM #12
Actually, yes I do. Not being 'IM FAMOUR ON TEH INTERNET' but from working for Serj I've met a lot of people. Through phone, internet etc... I know a few, but in real life, I only know two full-blooded armenians.

I don't think that makes my points any less valid though. One doesn't need to be Armenian to care about a human life.
2008-04-24, 6:19 PM #13
Have you even BEEN to Glendale, California? Armenia away from Armenia. I go there a lot so I know a bunch of Armenians. Also, you can't really generalize all Armenians as one. You could be Persian Armenian, Armenian Armenian, American Armenian, or some other Armenian. I even speak a little bit of Armenian. Honestly it makes me sad to see some Armenians at school just not going to school because they CAN, and some don't even give a **** about the world, just about their cars and other luxuries.
Back again
2008-04-24, 6:19 PM #14
The only Armenians I know grew drugs in my neighborhood. But then I told my boyfriend, who works for the DEA, about them and he arrested them for me.

But later they killed him and I was upset.
2008-04-24, 6:21 PM #15
Originally posted by Warlockmish:
Have you even BEEN to Glendale, California? Armenia away from Armenia.

I'm going to LA this July to work at ComicCon, and I hear a lot of Armenians live there as well haha.
2008-04-24, 6:26 PM #16
Not as much.
Back again
2008-04-24, 6:34 PM #17
Originally posted by SAJN:
Shut the f*** up. You make me sick. 1.5 million people dead, and you call it a made up genocide? Not only are their survivors of the genocide, there are pictures of the genocide, documents, and even Hitler himself stated that The Armenian Genocide was the stepping stone for his own genocide. Hitler said "Who now remembers the Armenians?"

This isn't about being a System of a Down fan, this is about being a freaking human being, and feeling compasonate for the Armenian people.

Seriously, get off your high horse, and if you don't have anything contructive to say, just don't talk. You make me sick when you say stuff like that. The Armenian Genocide was very much real, and your an ignorant ***.

Not only is the recognition of this genocide important to those who've suffered through it, it's also important to prevent further genocides around the world. There are genocides happening all over the world today. Darfur has been happening for years, and if we continue to deny genocide we're only setting the future up for more of it to occur. Get a brain people. Nobody is saying the Armenian Genocide is more important now than the genocide's occuring in the present, but the reason these genocides are currently occuring is because history shows people that they can get away with mass murder. If you deny the past, you leave the future open for more of the same.

Ignoring the horrible grammar, have you ever once looked at or thought about the other genocides? Armenians died a hundred years ago. Okay, what can we do now? Nothing. No offense, but who cares?

A million Rwandans died in 6 weeks less than 20 years ago. We did nothing. Somalia happened. We did nothing. The Darfur Conflict is happening. We're doing nothing.

My post was completely sarcastic, as this month is also the anniversary of the day the Rwandan president was shot which fired off the Rwandan genocide, and it reminded me of the fact that nobody gave a **** about that happening. In context, I'd rather have seen a thread about that, much rather have seen a thread about that, reminding us that even now we are ignorant and horribly selfish, than about something that happened a hundred years ago that we wouldn't/couldn't have prevented if we wanted to.

Also I find your opinion slightly biased considering your musical fetish, no offense.
D E A T H
2008-04-24, 6:41 PM #18
We're too busy dicking around in Iraq to bother with Darfur.
2008-04-24, 6:43 PM #19
And nobody knows about it because celebrity gossip has replaced global affairs.
2008-04-24, 6:43 PM #20
Originally posted by Vincent Valentine:
We're too busy dicking around in Iraq to bother with Darfur.

Partially that, but also because of the Black Hawk Down incident which would've NEVER happened if they had gone in at night seeing as during the day they're chewing on a fair equivalent to coca leaves all day and crash hard at night. What happens when you invade a bunch of guerrilla insurgents who are cracked out all day and on a hair trigger...during the day?

Oh, they go postal. But no, BRING OUR TROOPS HOME.
D E A T H
2008-04-24, 6:47 PM #21
Originally posted by Roach:
Well obviously not you, saberopus, I'm sure the Kurds don't really want your support.

Sorry Roach, was just a little put off by your use of 'you people', something that a few others on here use in a unecessarily condescending way. On second look, you were clearly just talking to the previous posters, apologies.
2008-04-24, 6:55 PM #22
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Ignoring the horrible grammar, have you ever once looked at or thought about the other genocides? Armenians died a hundred years ago. Okay, what can we do now? Nothing. No offense, but who cares?

Yes, I've researched a LOT of genocides. It's something I, as well as everyone else should care about. As for who cares, a lot of people. What if all of your family was killed, and then the government covered it up and denied it? Would you just shrug it off? Ah, no big deal. As for what we can do now? We can recognize it. Like I said before, aside from preventing future genocide, it gives survivors and family of the Armenian Genocide peace of mine. That's worth a lot more than you even care to imagine.

Quote:
A million Rwandans died in 6 weeks less than 20 years ago. We did nothing. Somalia happened. We did nothing. The Darfur Conflict is happening. We're doing nothing.

And genocides are going to continue to happen as long as we continue to deny and stand on the side lines of murder, rape, and torture. These genocides are just as important, and shame on us for doing nothing about it. But atleast these genocides are recognized. We need to put an end to genocide, but we can't do that until we are willing to realize that it's a real issue, and recognize our mistakes in the past.

Quote:
My post was completely sarcastic,

Your post was not sarcastic at all. Even if you're going to defend that in sarcasm, it makes no sense. You stated that the genocide was made up, that was just bad taste and ignorance.

Quote:
as this month is also the anniversary of the day the Rwandan president was shot which fired off the Rwandan genocide, and it reminded me of the fact that nobody gave a **** about that happening. In context, I'd rather have seen a thread about that, much rather have seen a thread about that, reminding us that even now we are ignorant and horribly selfish, than about something that happened a hundred years ago that we wouldn't/couldn't have prevented if we wanted to.

People don't give a **** because people aren't educated about genocide. America feels the need to protect it's own politcal interests before the intrests of the people. Even if it means ruining lives. This has nothing to do with nobody caring about Rwanda either. This has to do with you going into a thread about THE ARMENIAN GENOCIDE and instead of being respectful, taking a huge dump all over it.

The quote in my signature is true, and people need to realize that. Recently we had a chance to nationally recognize the Armenian Genocide, and instead of doing the right thing, we caved in under pressure from Turkey to continue to deny it. We currently use Turkey as an airbase (or some military post), and to recognize the killing of 1.5 million people would mean Turkey kicking us out of there. Profits before people. Absoloutley rediculous.

Quote:
Also I find your opinion slightly biased considering your musical fetish, no offense.

Well that's your problem.
2008-04-24, 7:04 PM #23
What about the American Genocide.
2008-04-24, 7:10 PM #24
The quote in my signature is true, and people need to realize that. Recently we had a chance to nationally recognize the Armenian Genocide, and instead of doing the right thing, we caved in under pressure from Turkey to continue to deny it. We currently use Turkey as an airbase (or some military post), and to recognize the killing of 1.5 million people would mean Turkey kicking us out of there. Profits before people. Absoloutley rediculous.

Yes, it's absolutely ridiculous to attempt to save the only friendly air-route between Europe and Asia during a conflict that requires its use by both military and humanitarian organizations, because losing said air-route could easily cause the deaths of millions of innocents. Yeah, profits before people.
omnia mea mecum porto
2008-04-24, 7:12 PM #25
the reason these genocides don't get much attention is that the countries they occur in have no strategic/economic importance to america. so the main proponents of these genocides are activists or people that have a lot of time on their hands.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2008-04-24, 7:35 PM #26
I think more people would care if they actually knew about it, landfish. I recall some statistic where over half of people polled didn't believe that there has been genocide since Hitler.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-04-24, 7:37 PM #27
A lot of people killing a lot of people. The effort alone is staggering. Why bother?
2008-04-24, 7:49 PM #28
Yes, I've researched a LOT of genocides. It's something I, as well as everyone else should care about. As for who cares, a lot of people. What if all of your family was killed, and then the government covered it up and denied it? Would you just shrug it off? Ah, no big deal. As for what we can do now? We can recognize it. Like I said before, aside from preventing future genocide, it gives survivors and family of the Armenian Genocide peace of mine. That's worth a lot more than you even care to imagine.

A few people but it was a completely different world back then. I can't righteously try and criticize what my grandfather's did because life was so different I, personally, can't imagine it. Trying to send people out to Turkey would've been an entire offensive that would've taken years to fully mobilize. Nowadays it's a few days.

And genocides are going to continue to happen as long as we continue to deny and stand on the side lines of murder, rape, and torture. These genocides are just as important, and shame on us for doing nothing about it. But atleast these genocides are recognized. We need to put an end to genocide, but we can't do that until we are willing to realize that it's a real issue, and recognize our mistakes in the past.

I agree with you here, but you're basically reiterating my point.

Your post was not sarcastic at all. Even if you're going to defend that in sarcasm, it makes no sense. You stated that the genocide was made up, that was just bad taste and ignorance.

Listen, just because you have something against me doesn't mean you know what I was thinking when I posted it, why I posted it, or how my post was supposed to be construed. Could you have misconstrued it? I'll give you that. But **** off if you actually think I'd seriously say "a million people are dead LOL HOO CARES"

People don't give a **** because people aren't educated about genocide. America feels the need to protect it's own politcal interests before the intrests of the people. Even if it means ruining lives. This has nothing to do with nobody caring about Rwanda either. This has to do with you going into a thread about THE ARMENIAN GENOCIDE and instead of being respectful, taking a huge dump all over it.

Sigh. Refer to the above. It has everything to do with it. We can learn from recent mistakes a lot more easily than we can learn from something that happened when the world was two AGES behind what it is now. Black Hawk Down is the singular reason we didn't participate in the Rwandan genocide, and it actually has implications that politicians and military officials could learn from. An entirely different world theater a hundred years ago, an entirely different military system a hundred years ago, etc etc, nobody can learn from.

I can't quote, because I honestly don't know much about the Armenian genocide. It was a tragedy, yes, but it doesn't apply to anything today. Give people some peace of mind? I'm all for it. But I don't think you understand the implications it might have politically and/or militarily. Also, if we give up that base, Tibet could be overridden in days and we could do nothing about it. Kashmir could explode at any second (not that it's already not a ticking timebomb). There's much more to consider here.

Well that's your problem.

I don't think it's my problem sir.

EDIT: SAJN, I'd like a serious debate here. I'm not trying to bash you, I'm not wanting to, all I want to do is talk with this as two human beings in a civilized manner. If you can agree to do that I think we may be able to converse instead of permabash each other as we've been doing.
D E A T H
2008-04-24, 7:50 PM #29
Originally posted by Vincent Valentine:
What about the American Genocide.

shhh... the zombie shock troops aren't ready yet... you'll blow our whole plan
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2008-04-24, 10:58 PM #30
If Germany told us that we had to deny the holocaust or else they wouldn't let us use their land for a military base, there would be riots. Why should it be any different for the Turks and the Armenian Genocide?
2008-04-24, 11:27 PM #31
AMERICANS ARE AT IT AGAIN

JOB WELL DONE

DENIALBOYS

... you know, the Armenian genocide was a bad thing per se but nobody ever seems to pay sympathy to the Cambodians under Pol Pot and some current groups like Falun Gong being organ-harvested in the name of bucks. Oh well. I guess that just brings up the other funky word I tend to use ^__________^
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2008-04-25, 2:33 AM #32
itt people counterbalance crimes against humanity
2008-04-25, 6:04 AM #33
If Germany told us that we had to deny the holocaust or else they wouldn't let us use their land for a military base, there would be riots. Why should it be any different for the Turks and the Armenian Genocide?

Because NO ONE CARES

It happned ALMOST A 100 YEARS AGO

You know how many Fortune 500 companies over 100 years old were FOUNDED ON DRUG AND SALVE TRADE? ALOT

I DON'T SEE YOU *****ING ABOUT THIS

This is totally about you mouthing on the knob of that anti-semite. OH HEY, JEW HATING IS JUST AS BAD.

HITLER WAS A JEW HATER YOU KNOW.

Ooops, Godwin's law I win.
2008-04-25, 6:14 AM #34
Sometimes a lot of people just need to die in order to balance the ever-growing overpopulation problem. I think we could use a few more these days.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2008-04-25, 6:23 AM #35
Yeah, we should start with drunktastic lazy texture artists. Population Snippety!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2008-04-25, 8:19 AM #36
Originally posted by Rob:
Because NO ONE CARES

It happned ALMOST A 100 YEARS AGO

You know how many Fortune 500 companies over 100 years old were FOUNDED ON DRUG AND SALVE TRADE? ALOT

I DON'T SEE YOU *****ING ABOUT THIS

This is totally about you mouthing on the knob of that anti-semite. OH HEY, JEW HATING IS JUST AS BAD.

HITLER WAS A JEW HATER YOU KNOW.

Ooops, Godwin's law I win.

Wow, you have 100% NO IDEA what you're talking about. Way to look like a complete ***.
2008-04-25, 8:43 AM #37
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2008-04-25, 9:14 AM #38
Damn whiny Armos. What'd they do for anyone anyway. Greasy tracksuit with Italian shoes and gaudy jewelry wearing used car dealer owning mother****ers.

The Armenians weren't the only people treated like that by the Ottomans. They weren't deported because the Turks didn't like them (which they didn't), but because they were a strategic danger for the Ottoman military. They were wasting soldiers quelling minority rebellions in the East when they should have been out at the front. So they moved them to an area where they wouldn't be a problem. Countries do it all the time. It wasn't a good thing by any means, but it shouldn't be considered a genocide.
:master::master::master:
2008-04-25, 9:22 AM #39
I agree with Rob.

Don't dwell in the past. One must live in the present to look to the future.
2008-04-25, 9:24 AM #40

Because there was a war going on during the Aremenian genocide. We were busy with other events that were out of that area, trying to make the world not erupt into devastating conflict. Not only that, but comparing 1.5 million to millions upon millions of blacks, whites, jews, arabs, gypsies, etc etc is quite crass. Two very different situations and two very different outcomes. We also didn't have anywhere near the manpower to participate in WWI and try to stop a genocide at the same time.
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!