Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Fixing up a mousepad
Fixing up a mousepad
2008-04-27, 10:19 AM #1
So, I have a neat Dark Forces mousepad that's the boxart of the game. However, it doesn't play nicely with optical mouse (I'm assuming due to the variation in colors).

Is there some way I can put a transparent (but slightly reflective) material on top of it to make it usable?
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2008-04-27, 10:34 AM #2
Actually, IIRC, optical mice dont play to well with reflective surfaces either. In fact, thats the only kind of surface I've ever seen them have problems with. Is the mousepad reflective? Even slightly?
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2008-04-27, 10:45 AM #3
Get a laser mouse.

They work on anything.
2008-04-27, 10:54 AM #4
Optical=Laser
2008-04-27, 10:54 AM #5
No it doesn't, retard.
2008-04-27, 10:57 AM #6
Originally posted by Rob:
No it doesn't, retard.

true story.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2008-04-27, 11:21 AM #7
:awesome:
2008-04-27, 11:58 AM #8
Get a laser mouse.

They work on anything.

Not really. Try anything translucent/transparent :\

However they do work on a lot of surfaces. Or you can get a teflon pad from cshyde.com, it's what I did. Cheap and effective!
D E A T H
2008-04-27, 12:07 PM #9
I was just using my G7 on a glass coffee table this weekend. Seemed fine to me.
2008-04-27, 12:09 PM #10
Get a laser mouse.

They work on anything.

not a glass table
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-04-27, 12:13 PM #11
Optical mice are superior to lasers in many respects though.
2008-04-27, 12:14 PM #12
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:

id be interested in hearing some of those aspects.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2008-04-27, 12:15 PM #13
my laser mouse moves faster on darker surfaces than lighter colored ones.. It's a logitech
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-04-27, 12:20 PM #14
I use a Pikachu mouse pad. I don't know why. Sometimes I swap it for a :) mouse pad.

2008-04-27, 1:02 PM #15

No
D E A T H
2008-04-27, 1:08 PM #16
LOL ROLLER BALL MICE ARE THE BEST EVER.:downswords: :eng101:
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2008-04-27, 1:58 PM #17
http://www.esreality.com/?a=longpost&id=1265679&page=22

I should have said "some" aspects. There really aren't all that many aspects to mice. I admit it's picking at straws, but technically high end IR mice track slightly better than laser mice. They are at least not better than that category.
2008-04-27, 2:04 PM #18
[quote=Obi's Link]Some Logitech and Microsoft mice have a huge performance boost when you overclock the mouse port, because of an interface limit.[/quote]

This can't be serious, overclocking your mouse?
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2008-04-27, 2:10 PM #19
Do you have to be HARDCORE to notice the differences between laser vs optical in the field of gaming? I've used both and don't really note any significant issues. Maybe I need to turn of the dial in my GAMING EXTREMENESS.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-04-27, 2:14 PM #20
Yeah. For most people it's probably a placebo. You don't need an UBER1337AWESOM!!1one mouse to be good at games.
2008-04-27, 2:21 PM #21
My optical mouse is fine except that the mousewheel sometimes doesn't work right. Sometimes it does nothing, but then the next click it moves two, and the next click it'll move one in the opposite direction. Sometimes I try to cycle to a specific weapon and I just CAN'T select it for a good 5 seconds, which is pretty much "you're already dead" in TF2.

2008-04-27, 2:33 PM #22
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Do you have to be HARDCORE to notice the differences between laser vs optical in the field of gaming? I've used both and don't really note any significant issues. Maybe I need to turn of the dial in my GAMING EXTREMENESS.

No, because you'd have to crank up the sensitivity of the mouse for you to notice under regular situations. On extreme sensitivity settings an optical mouse won't be able to maintain single-pixel steps. Any worthwhile laser mouse will be able to. Decent gaming mice will always have a sensitivity selector on the mouse itself.
2008-04-27, 2:54 PM #23
http://www.esreality.com/?a=longpost&id=1265679&page=22

I should have said "some" aspects. There really aren't all that many aspects to mice. I admit it's picking at straws, but technically high end IR mice track slightly better than laser mice. They are at least not better than that category.

I disagree. Going from using an MX510, to an MX1000, to two MX518s, to a G5, I'd say that laser mice are, generally and more recently, going to be miles and miles ahead of Optical mice.
D E A T H
2008-04-27, 3:11 PM #24
I still have that MX1000 you sold me.

I use it more now, because the batteries in my G5 or G7 wore out. :( (Whichever one is the wireless one!)
2008-04-27, 3:28 PM #25
I still have that MX1000 you sold me.

I use it more now, because the batteries in my G5 or G7 wore out. :( (Whichever one is the wireless one!)

G7, but yeah that thing was a tank.

Good mouse, just thought it was time to move on.
D E A T H
2008-04-27, 3:30 PM #26
I got an MX Revolution on some super rebate combo from NewEgg. It's pretty awesome. Very comfortable and has insane battery life.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-04-27, 3:33 PM #27
yeah, my G7 batteries are getting a little flaky now, any ideas on what the MX Revolution is like?

as for the mouse mat, no idea.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2008-04-27, 3:36 PM #28
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
I disagree. Going from using an MX510, to an MX1000, to two MX518s, to a G5, I'd say that laser mice are, generally and more recently, going to be miles and miles ahead of Optical mice.

Well, in respect to things that you'd notice, like it's performance on different surfaces, yes, but the G5 won't track as well at high speeds as the MX 518. Still, it's very doubtful that you'd notice the difference in the real world.
2008-04-27, 3:41 PM #29
James, I've had my MX Revolution for several months now and it's fine. I can't imagine why the batteries would die over time, other than poor choice in battery (i.e. flawed model). When charged, the Logitech settings app reports that I have 2 weeks of battery life left. I have never hit the bottom. I just throw it on the charger before bedtime once every few days, and I never have to worry about it.
2008-04-27, 4:52 PM #30
Well, in respect to things that you'd notice, like it's performance on different surfaces, yes, but the G5 won't track as well at high speeds as the MX 518. Still, it's very doubtful that you'd notice the difference in the real world.

No, I'm still going to disagree. Especially seeing as how you can up the refresh rate of the G* mice and not on the MX* mice. I'm sorry, the G5 is just hands down better than the MX518. I didn't want to say so for a while, but it's true.
D E A T H
2008-04-27, 9:13 PM #31
I got sick of bluetooth and batteries, so I replaced my wireless set with a G9 and a G15 Gen 2. I'm pretty happy with them. The cord also doesn't bother me - the reason I switched to wireless in the first place is because of the defective cords in the first generation Intellimouse Explorers, anyway.
2008-04-27, 9:49 PM #32
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
No, I'm still going to disagree. Especially seeing as how you can up the refresh rate of the G* mice and not on the MX* mice. I'm sorry, the G5 is just hands down better than the MX518. I didn't want to say so for a while, but it's true.

I can almost guarantee you that that's a placebo effect, unless you have a crappy desk surface. High end mice are cool and all, but a lot of the gurus you see out there are using Intelliemouse explorers.

Did you see the graphs of the two mice in the review?
2008-04-27, 9:52 PM #33
i moved from a mx500 to a g5. that mx500 was swank, but i had to retire it because it was getting old and gross. the g5 is a great mouse, i haven't had any problems with it at all.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2008-04-27, 10:24 PM #34
High end mice are cool and all, but a lot of the gurus you see out there are using Intelliemouse explorers.

Right, but they aren't playing with high sensitivities. As Jon pointed out, you'll quickly lose per-pixel precision with optical mice. I never cared since I don't use high sensitivities, but some people like it.
2008-04-27, 10:44 PM #35
I've been very happy with my Intelliemouse explorer for years And I think I tend to use the mid to lower end of sensitivities.

Also my mousepad is a, roughly, 13"x18" sheet of cardstock.
Very effective and cheap. I tend to replace it every couple years, though i can't remember how long I've had the current one.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2008-04-27, 11:30 PM #36
I think you'll find that we, the true HARDCORE of gamers use OLD LAPTOPS to play our games and ONLY USE THE TRACKPAD and just use our AWESOME FACES to drive with.

(also it would seem we shout AT random points in our SENtences)

(I use an old old logitech at work that eats AA batteries and is covered in grime)
2008-04-27, 11:32 PM #37
I have an MX518.

And I really don't get why people like wireless mice. Maybe for laptops, but I see no reason for having a wireless mouse for a PC.
2008-04-28, 1:59 AM #38
The cord bothers some of us. It's nice when the mouse is free of all restraints.
2008-04-28, 2:25 AM #39
try playing TF2 on a trackpad, now that's hardcore!

and Emon, thanks for info, I wasn't worried about the MX Revolutions battery life per sa but it's nice to know it's good :)

I was more moaning about how the G7's batteries have started to fade, although to be fair I have really abused this mouse since I've had it, it has dents, scratches and marks all over it from carrying it in my bag to work some days.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2008-04-28, 5:03 AM #40
I can almost guarantee you that that's a placebo effect, unless you have a crappy desk surface. High end mice are cool and all, but a lot of the gurus you see out there are using Intelliemouse explorers.

Did you see the graphs of the two mice in the review?

No they're not, they're using MX series mice because they're solid and dependable. They use them on extremely low sensitivities on extremely large surfaces. Besides that, mice wear out and you can't buy the Intellimouse Explorer 2.0's anymore, the only ones worth owning.

Like Emon said--you lose per-pixel accuracy.

And I don't trust any "review" of mice. Also, it's not placebo effect, I can tell the difference myself.
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!