Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → 360 and noise
360 and noise
2008-05-01, 7:15 PM #1
I'm thinking about buying a 360, but am wary of the noise. How has your experience been?
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2008-05-01, 7:23 PM #2
My 360 is fairly quiet and one of the new models with smaller die cpus and better heat sinks
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2008-05-01, 7:26 PM #3
The fans are nothing to when the DVD drive kicks into high gear.
2008-05-01, 7:27 PM #4
I don't have a 360 but still want to vote.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2008-05-01, 7:31 PM #5
My 360 is one of the earlier models and it's really no louder than my computer. I mean, I don't know how sensitive to noise we're talking here, but it's by no means loud, though I could hear it if I wanted to.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2008-05-01, 7:38 PM #6
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
The fans are nothing to when the DVD drive kicks into high gear.

You'll notice I made no note of what kind of noise. DVD drive noise is included in the poll. I'd edit the poll but apparently only admins can do that? Awell, it's fine how it is.
2008-05-01, 7:59 PM #7
I don't know what era mine is from because it's a replacement for my original which RROD'd. Since this one is louder, I assume it's launch era.
2008-05-01, 8:01 PM #8
My idiot friends have the newer models and insist on putting those big noisy third party fans on theirs. Otherwise they're nice and quiet.
2008-05-01, 8:21 PM #9
I have an old 360 and its quiet
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2008-05-01, 8:25 PM #10
I read a how-to on fixing RRoD'ed 360s. Basically you wrap your 360 in layers and layers of towels and blankets and turn it on. The lack of ventilation and extreme insulation from the blankets causes it to overheat like mad inside. As a result, many of the solder joints melt, forming new joints. You leave it like that for some time, then turn it off and take off the towels. It has been known to work.

It sounds crazy, but it's actually just like doing solder reflow on a PCB (which many hobbyists do in a toaster oven). I'm rather surprised that it was able to get that hot. Maybe it was only that hot near the area surrounding the CPU where (I presume) the bad joints were located.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-05-01, 8:35 PM #11
Originally posted by Emon:
I read a how-to on fixing RRoD'ed 360s. Basically you wrap your 360 in layers and layers of towels and blankets and turn it on. The lack of ventilation and extreme insulation from the blankets causes it to overheat like mad inside. As a result, many of the solder joints melt, forming new joints. You leave it like that for some time, then turn it off and take off the towels. It has been known to work.

It sounds crazy, but it's actually just like doing solder reflow on a PCB (which many hobbyists do in a toaster oven). I'm rather surprised that it was able to get that hot. Maybe it was only that hot near the area surrounding the CPU where (I presume) the bad joints were located.

Thats....nice?
2008-05-01, 8:42 PM #12
Don't you have some munging to go do?
2008-05-01, 8:53 PM #13
Originally posted by Emon:

I really doubt whether you can reflow the solder at temperatures the blanket is capable of. I think something else is in effect.
2008-05-01, 8:55 PM #14
My 360 is a launch-type and it's quieter than launch-type PS3s. My PS3 is a new-type and it's quieter than my 360.
2008-05-01, 10:07 PM #15
mine's oldish and not too loud, not too quiet
2008-05-01, 10:25 PM #16
Originally posted by bradsh:
I really doubt whether you can reflow the solder at temperatures the blanket is capable of. I think something else is in effect.

The fix actually works. But it's incredibly temporary. It was mainly a fix for those waiting for the replacement 360 / box to send it back in.

Anyways, I got a loud one, and I can already tell the DVD drive is failing. During games it literally just stops spinning, and tells me the disc is dirty (when it's perfectly clean). I have to just eject the disc, go back to dashboard, stick it in, and then it works :/. Only a matter of time....
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2008-05-01, 10:33 PM #17
I'm not sure which model mine is (purchased new in September '06), but I've noticed it tends to be loud when running Mass Effect and relatively quiet (though still usually audible) when running most other games.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2008-05-01, 10:47 PM #18
Yours is still first-revision internals. The die shrink didn't happen until April 2007 or around there.
2008-05-01, 10:56 PM #19
i can only hear my 360 if i'm kneeling down in front of it to put a disc in
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2008-05-01, 11:16 PM #20
My launch 360 was loud as hell.

My replacement 360 is loud as hell.
2008-05-02, 5:15 AM #21
This poll needs to be multiple choice. One of my 360s is launch era and it's quiet. The other is a new replacement they sent me when my original red ringed and it's quiet. The biggest source of noise I've found is the power brick, but I only notice it when it stays on charging my controller after I stop playing.
2008-05-02, 5:37 AM #22
Haha just last night while I was on the phone (GTA IV sitting idle on my desktop) I was telling the person on the phone how it sounded like I was in a room with a turbine. I don't know if mine is a launch model or not...? I think it was manufactured in March 2007
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2008-05-02, 11:23 AM #23
Originally posted by mscbuck:
Anyways, I got a loud one, and I can already tell the DVD drive is failing. During games it literally just stops spinning, and tells me the disc is dirty (when it's perfectly clean). I have to just eject the disc, go back to dashboard, stick it in, and then it works :/. Only a matter of time....

Yeah, that's a really bad sign. If you still have warranty, I'd get them to fix it ASAP. The 3 year extended warranty only applies to the RROD, so if the drive dies you'd be SOL. Of course, maybe people would just wrap their 360 in blankets and force it to RROD to get it replaced...
2008-05-02, 11:25 AM #24
Who gives a **** how loud it is. Get a surround sound system and start blasting it to GTA IV
2008-05-02, 11:45 AM #25
My roommate has a 360 and it's loud as hell.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2008-05-02, 12:28 PM #26
The loudest part is the CD drive
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-05-02, 12:29 PM #27
High frequency hearing loss is good for something!
2008-05-02, 12:31 PM #28
My 360 is fairly quiet and one of the launch era models

My brother's is louder, but he has little addon fan thing making so wild noise.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2008-05-02, 12:36 PM #29
I've heard those addon fans can melt things.

They also void your warranty.
2008-05-02, 12:51 PM #30
How many versions of 360s are there.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-05-02, 12:59 PM #31
Originally posted by Rob:
I've heard those addon fans can melt things.

They also void your warranty.

Er, no they don't void the warranty. Its an addon fan sold by microsoft.

He's also sent it in twice (due to dvd drive failures) since buying said fan and never had problems with said warranty.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2008-05-02, 1:28 PM #32
Microsoft doesn't make an addon fan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RROD#Overheating

"Some third party manufacturers have also introduced external cooling devices that attach to the console and claim to help prevent the console from overheating.[30] However, reports indicate that some such devices can do exactly the opposite, including the attachment melting on the console itself, possibly damaging the internal microprocessors, and voiding the product warranty. Also, when the attachment is powered by the Xbox 360's power brick, it might overheat the power brick, causing even more problems.[31] [32]"
2008-05-02, 1:29 PM #33
I don't notice the noise unless I'm trying to sleep with it on.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2008-05-02, 1:32 PM #34
Rob's right those aren't microsoft fans..

a friend of mine has it too, it's loud as hell but it does seem to keep his box a lot cooler than mine
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-05-02, 1:33 PM #35
If a 3rd pary device causes damage to your system, it voids your warranty.

Read your warranty.
2008-05-02, 1:39 PM #36
Heh, I like how lead-free solder contributed to the RRoD problems. Greenpeace and the like always lobby for lead-free solders, but the thing is, lead solders work so damn well.
2008-05-02, 2:06 PM #37
Yeah, because children just love ripping open electronics and eating microchips.

(I like them with cheeze wiz and french onion dip.)
2008-05-02, 2:11 PM #38
Well, if you donate electronics (computers, consoles, etc.) to charities that give them to impoverished children in societies such as certain countries within Africa, odds are the wires and electrical components are melted down by the kids and sold as usable metal to scrapyards and so forth. Thus the harmful chemicals in the solder are exposed.

But then again it's Africa so there are probably worse things to worry about.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-05-02, 2:19 PM #39
It's not a concern with people interacting with them so much as what happens when electronics are improperly disposed of. It's a concern with lead say, contaminating soil or water supplies.

It's a good idea to cut back on leaded solders, but companies should be allowed to use it in small quantities (say, xx% of their product) until lead-free solders become good enough and cheap enough to use everywhere.
2008-05-02, 8:15 PM #40
Bleh. I like my electronics with gold wiring and lead solders. Heavy metals are AWESOME.

↑ Up to the top!