Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Massassi TF2 Server
Massassi TF2 Server
2008-05-23, 3:01 PM #1
I have a multi-purpose server (web, SVN, whatever else) that doesn't get much use. I can run a TF2 server on it. It wouldn't be Massassi exclusive, because then it would be too empty. Rather, Massassians would get priority (via a password or whatever mechanism TF2 provides).
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-05-23, 3:07 PM #2
It would be empty a lot.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2008-05-23, 3:37 PM #3
If you install one of the admin modules, you can set up special rights based on steam ID.

What kind of connection does it have though?
2008-05-23, 3:49 PM #4
Over the summer, it'll be on the CWRU network, which is gigabit ethernet attached to eight T3 lines for the internet connection. My information is out of date though, they probably have something faster now.

For the rest of the year, it may be running on RIT's network, which is comprised of two OC-3 lines.

So, pretty ****ing fast.
2008-05-23, 4:09 PM #5
god damn
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-05-23, 4:31 PM #6
I'd use it.
Life is beautiful.
2008-05-23, 7:15 PM #7
Hook us up with some reserved slots!
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2008-05-23, 8:04 PM #8
It wouldn't be empty if we got lots of people going to it. Massassians don't have to be the only ones there.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-05-24, 4:44 AM #9
doit
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2008-05-24, 5:28 AM #10
We should switch games every once in a while, mix it up!

PS, can we host a ranked TF2 server? Or are they all ranked?
2008-05-24, 6:26 AM #11
That sounds awesome.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2008-05-24, 7:19 AM #12
Originally posted by Rob:
We should switch games every once in a while, mix it up!

PS, can we host a ranked TF2 server? Or are they all ranked?

Requires a lot more space, and then you'll NEVER have regulars to the server, so it'll guarantee that it doesn't get as much traffic as it should.

Unless you can run two servers in tandem by chance.
D E A T H
2008-05-24, 7:40 AM #13
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Requires a lot more space, and then you'll NEVER have regulars to the server, so it'll guarantee that it doesn't get as much traffic as it should.

Unless you can run two servers in tandem by chance.

I'm not sure what they mean by "ranked", but you can run as many servers as you have the hardware to support. All you need to do is set different ports for each.

Also, Emon, are you sure your school has a NAT setup to allow your game to be accessible? Otherwise we're never going to be able to reach it, OC-3 be damned. I don't see why they'd give you an open port to run a gameserver for a bunch of friends.
2008-05-24, 9:06 AM #14
1fort tried a server and it was empty all the time. I suspect because it used a password. Leave it off and I guarantee it'll be active all the time. I didn't play on the 1fort server because whenever I checked it it was empty. I'd definitely play on a community server that actually has people in it.

There are some mods which provide for reserved slots, but these sorta suck for everyone else since you can't tell if there are any until you try to join and get kicked right away. There is another variant which doesn't reserve any slots until someone who can use a slot tries to join... and if the server's full it kicks a random person. That sucks even more but fortunately I only saw it used on one server.

You might try using NO reserved slot functionality and see how it works out. If the server is full lots you can try upping maxplayers from 24 to 32 and adding one reserved slot maybe.

I dunno if reserved slots are a feature of Source (it's not integrated into the query protocol or the server browser if it is) but I suspect it needs third-party admin mods.

2008-05-24, 9:19 AM #15
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
I'm not sure what they mean by "ranked", but you can run as many servers as you have the hardware to support. All you need to do is set different ports for each.

Yeah, I'm just saying as long as the bandwidth can support it.

[quote=Cool Matty]Also, Emon, are you sure your school has a NAT setup to allow your game to be accessible? Otherwise we're never going to be able to reach it, OC-3 be damned. I don't see why they'd give you an open port to run a gameserver for a bunch of friends.[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure mb and other RIT-ians have hosted stuff before. Seemed to work well if I recall right.
D E A T H
2008-05-24, 9:24 AM #16
Rob: my brother rents a CS server. It's got a bunch of surf crap on it right now, but he says it's easy enough to switch back to the stock maps (which is what I assume people want to play), although it's public so it might be harder to get into.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2008-05-24, 11:16 AM #17
Also, Emon, are you sure your school has a NAT setup to allow your game to be accessible? Otherwise we're never going to be able to reach it, OC-3 be damned. I don't see why they'd give you an open port to run a gameserver for a bunch of friends.

We don't use NAT, each PC is assigned an externally visible IP via DHCP. I've hosted dedicated servers before and it's always been fantastic. RIT really doesn't care what you do with your network access as long as it isn't illegal.
2008-05-24, 12:46 PM #18
Originally posted by Emon:
We don't use NAT, each PC is assigned an externally visible IP via DHCP. I've hosted dedicated servers before and it's always been fantastic. RIT really doesn't care what you do with your network access as long as it isn't illegal.

Jealousy.

Good idea, though. Might actually get me to play TF2 (I think I've played it like twice since I got it in January).
2008-05-24, 1:24 PM #19

So basically RIT is it's own ISP? That must be nice >.>
2008-05-24, 3:49 PM #20
So where is it?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-05-24, 5:19 PM #21
Quote:
Massassi TF2 Server

I'd definately play on it :awesome:
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2008-05-24, 7:09 PM #22

Lots of universities have ridiculous numbers of IPs. I used to have a website that tracked the IPs of students as they took quizzes on my site, and every single one of the lab PCs (25? 30 in just that one room?) had its own IP.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2008-05-24, 9:21 PM #23
And they wonder why we're already running out of IPs.
2008-05-24, 10:56 PM #24

Yes. RIT is an I2 university. :D

Also, it'll be at RIT over the summer, not CWRU (where my brother works).
2008-05-24, 11:00 PM #25
And they wonder why we're already running out of IPs.

Pfft, they gave them away like condoms in the early years. Apple, for example, was given an entire Class A network (17.0.0.0-17.255.255.255).

Some institutions have actually given back portions of their allotted IP ranges as shortages have become a problem.
2008-05-25, 12:21 AM #26
Okay, so what admin tools should I look at? Anything to make administration easier, also log analyzing for statistics is cool.

Also, CM it would be slick if you could set up a subdomain like tf2.massassi.net to point to the server. :awesome: But let's not get ahead of ourselves...
2008-05-25, 12:59 AM #27
mani Admin is good for administration. It's the standard thing you see on your pub servers.
D E A T H
2008-05-25, 1:07 AM #28
Let's get a website for stats plz.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-05-25, 6:17 AM #29
HLstatsX?
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2008-05-25, 7:11 AM #30
you guys are going to make me buy this game
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-05-25, 8:01 AM #31
Originally posted by NoESC:
you guys are going to make me buy this game

It's only 30 bucks.

Why haven't you yet?
D E A T H
2008-05-25, 8:54 AM #32
Twenty, now.

BUY CONSUME PURCHASE BUY CONSUME PURCHASE
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2008-05-25, 9:27 AM #33
D:
Attachment: 19407/they-live.jpg (16,638 bytes)
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2008-05-25, 2:03 PM #34
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
It's only 30 bucks.

Why haven't you yet?

i got rid of the desktop so i only have the macbook, don't know how it will run it (gma950)

i'm in xp downloading my other source games, we'll see.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-05-25, 3:01 PM #35
i got rid of the desktop so i only have the macbook, don't know how it will run it (gma950)

I didn't read it, but this looks like a good start:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=418295
2008-05-25, 3:40 PM #36

I've got the Santa Rosa (X3100 graphics chipset) and it wasn't nearly enough to play it even at 640x480. Anytime you get more than a couple people on, or look at water, etc, fps drops like a rock.
2008-05-25, 3:40 PM #37
Okay, so what admin tools should I look at? Anything to make administration easier, also log analyzing for statistics is cool.

Also, CM it would be slick if you could set up a subdomain like tf2.massassi.net to point to the server. :awesome: But let's not get ahead of ourselves...

All I need is an IP. And make sure to get it my way before the matches start so we can propagate DNS :p
2008-05-25, 11:19 PM #38
It's 129.21.137.92. The TF2 server won't be up for a few days though. I'm moving back home tomorrow.
2008-05-25, 11:37 PM #39
Cocktease.
2008-05-27, 3:22 PM #40
I'd napalm the hell out of y'all if people played on there! :D I hardly touch TF2 because nobody I know really uses it.
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

↑ Up to the top!