Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → A 10 year-old college sophmore says video games are....
A 10 year-old college sophmore says video games are....
2008-06-05, 9:41 PM #1
"...a waste of time."

Quote:
But Moshe likes to say he’s no different than other kids. He plays the piano and soccer and has a roomful of trophies from martial arts. His mother says that when he’s not studying, he goofs off and jumps around like any other 10-year-old.

"Goofing off and jumping around" is not a waste of time, but video games are? Kid prodigy my ***. I bet he can't see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

On a side note, how the heck do these kids enter college so early? Do these people take some high school graduation exam to graduate early?
2008-06-05, 9:52 PM #2
Colleges rightly ought to admit on knowledge, not age, as they are certainly not the same. This is not new. David Hume was studying at the University of Edinburgh when he was twelve. Immanuel Kant was studying in university at sixteen. Just sit this kid in front of a TV for a few days, though, and I guarantee we can erode his assiduousness soon enough.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2008-06-05, 10:03 PM #3
If you go to higher education too early you're missing out on the fun that comes from being a young adult.

Shocking waste of 4 years.
2008-06-05, 10:45 PM #4
Originally posted by Cloud:
"...a waste of time."

I bet he can't see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Holy **** my sides hurt.
2008-06-05, 11:02 PM #5
Originally posted by Lord_Grismath:
Colleges rightly ought to admit on knowledge, not age, as they are certainly not the same. This is not new. David Hume was studying at the University of Edinburgh when he was twelve. Immanuel Kant was studying in university at sixteen. Just sit this kid in front of a TV for a few days, though, and I guarantee we can erode his assiduousness soon enough.

Tony Stark graduated from MIT at age 17.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2008-06-05, 11:24 PM #6
Originally posted by happydud:

IN A CAVE!!
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2008-06-05, 11:25 PM #7
Originally posted by Martyn:
If you go to higher education too early you're missing out on the fun that comes from being a young adult.

Shocking waste of 4 years.

I'll drink to that! Get it?
Pissed Off?
2008-06-06, 4:41 AM #8
i hope that little dweeb gets his s**t messed up by several female bullies.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2008-06-06, 5:15 AM #9
Waste of Time eh? Tell that to the thousands of people who spends years developing them.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2008-06-06, 7:11 AM #10
Originally posted by happydud:

He also built massassi in a cave with scraps.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-06-06, 7:14 AM #11
Quote:
Moshe aced all his courses, in such subjects as statistics, advanced mathematics, foreign languages and music. Now he says he’s hoping for a scholarship to a prestigious four-year college.

I wonder how good he is at writing papers.
2008-06-06, 7:18 AM #12
Why do we care what he thinks?

[http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20070314.gif]
2008-06-06, 7:25 AM #13
Uh guys, video games are a waste of time.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2008-06-06, 8:37 AM #14
I bet he can't see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

Cinnamon Toast Crunch is ****ing vile. I ate it once when I was a kid and it actually made me vomit.

Originally posted by Tracer:

You could argue that for any form of "entertainment". If it gives you a break from life and keeps you sane, it isn't a waste of time.

I think it would be really interesting to see a psychological study of kids like this that follows them through their lives. I imagine missing out on a lot of experiences really takes its toll in the end.
2008-06-06, 8:44 AM #15
AND? No space cadet's gonna tell me what to do.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2008-06-06, 9:04 AM #16
Quote:
“I don’t really goof off that much,” he explained. “Except eating and sleeping, mostly I study. Just very, very tiny breaks.”

yeah cause thats fun
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-06-06, 9:05 AM #17
I bet he's real popular...
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2008-06-06, 9:34 AM #18
He's smart, but he really IS going to miss out on a lot of childhood things he will never be able to relate to. Oh well...

Besides, how many girls are there out there that will get his jokes about quantum physics and not think he just spoke in another language?
2008-06-06, 9:45 AM #19
I don't see why people are so defensive about gaming being considered a "waste of time." Stress relief and cooldown, maybe, but not really more than that.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-06-06, 10:02 AM #20
Good thing he gets to enjoy his childhood in between calculus classes.

Friend: "Hey, Moshe, want to go outside and play?"
Moshe: "Not right now, I'm in the middle of my differential equations thesis."
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2008-06-06, 10:03 AM #21
Games really arent any more a waste of time than Music, or Sports... Sports keep you in shape sure, but so does hard backbreaking labor.
2008-06-06, 10:46 AM #22
To say that video games are a waste of time is like saying that reading books is a waste of time based on one's evaluation of the average novel.
Some video games ARE a waste of time, but consider the Monkey Island games for example - I grew up playing them, and as a child they inspired me and fuelled my imagination. There is nothing wasteful about that.
Video games can be art, and they can be thought-provoking. They can lead to the formation of long-lasting friendships, even.

The idea that video games are a waste of time is just mindless agreement with popular opinions of video games formed by snobbish people who don't know anything about video games.
I'm just a little boy.
2008-06-06, 10:47 AM #23
Some could argue that life is a waste of time.

My care about this kid is just about a nice cooling 0.

And it's kind of sad that his only popularity is being on a newspaper as a "child prodigy" and causing controversy for gamers.
2008-06-06, 11:04 AM #24
eating is also a waste of time in my opinion.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-06-06, 11:23 AM #25
Originally posted by Aglar:
Cinnamon Toast Crunch is ****ing vile. I ate it once when I was a kid and it actually made me vomit.

someone didn't have their dose of sugar enough during childhood!
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-06-06, 12:26 PM #26
haha, asian
2008-06-06, 12:27 PM #27
Originally posted by Tracer:

Video games are no more a waste of time than reading fiction.
2008-06-06, 12:52 PM #28
Originally posted by Rob:
Video games are no more a waste of time than reading fiction.

or Massassi.

:P
woot!
2008-06-06, 12:54 PM #29
Internet is a waste.
2008-06-06, 1:12 PM #30
He is right, being able to concentrate and apply yourself is more useful than being smart. If you have both, you're a person like this. Unfortunately, not everyone is able to just sit down and say, "I will work very hard on this for x amount of time with out getting distracted." You can force yourself to focus, but that can only go so far. The ability to really absorb yourself in something at will is what unleashes the power of the mind.

On the other hand, that won't necessarily bring you happiness.
2008-06-06, 1:39 PM #31
No kid just up and decides that he wants to be in college by the time they are 10.
Pissed Off?
2008-06-06, 2:07 PM #32
Originally posted by Flirbnic:
To say that video games are a waste of time is like saying that reading books is a waste of time based on one's evaluation of the average novel.
Some video games ARE a waste of time, but consider the Monkey Island games for example - I grew up playing them, and as a child they inspired me and fuelled my imagination. There is nothing wasteful about that.
Video games can be art, and they can be thought-provoking. They can lead to the formation of long-lasting friendships, even.

The idea that video games are a waste of time is just mindless agreement with popular opinions of video games formed by snobbish people who don't know anything about video games.

Thank you, Flirb. I was worried nobody here was going to realize that.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2008-06-06, 2:10 PM #33
Originally posted by Avenger:
No kid just up and decides that he wants to be in college by the time they are 10.

nope!

but their parents sure do!
2008-06-06, 2:19 PM #34
Originally posted by Jon`C:
haha, asian

halfie
2008-06-06, 2:22 PM #35
Originally posted by Jon`C:
nope!

but their parents sure do!

Exactly.
Pissed Off?
2008-06-06, 2:54 PM #36
Originally posted by ragna:
halfie

i hope he got the 'does original work' part from us
2008-06-06, 5:53 PM #37
The Cinnamon Toast Crunch comment is more of a jab at the kid missing out on his childhood. Like someone mentioned,

Like other people have mentioned in this topic, video games are indeed meant to entertain. However like novels, books, movies, etc, they can also supplement another purpose. Some games edify like Metal Gear Solid for example. A big underlying message of the game is to put a stop to WMD and nukes. Other games are quite educational such as Brain Age for the DS. What about games that cause people to be interested in something in real life? America's Army probably has probably lured in some new recruits.

Of course there's always the profitability in playing games. The gaming industry generate billions of dollars a year, surpassing the movie industry. There are actual professional gamers who earn a living by playing in tournaments like MLG. Sometimes you have representatives by gaming companies like the Frag Dolls.
Last but not least, gaming journalism is pretty huge.
2008-06-06, 6:09 PM #38
Wait till puberty hits.
Back again
2008-06-06, 8:26 PM #39
America's Army probably has probably lured in some new recruits.

This number would probably be alot higher if not for the corelation between video games fatty fat fat mcfattersons.

PS, I hate "pro" gaming, and everything it stands for.
2008-06-06, 11:11 PM #40
As in "It's not fair that they get to sit on their asses and make money. Whaaaaaaahahhhhhaaaaaaaa!"

You'd do it in a heart beat if you were able.
Pissed Off?

↑ Up to the top!