Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → 3G iPhone and other WWDC 2008 discussion
3G iPhone and other WWDC 2008 discussion
2008-06-09, 9:20 PM #41
Which accounts for how much of the market again?
2008-06-09, 10:12 PM #42
Us special, elite top 5%...

Oh wait:

:neckbeard:
2008-06-09, 10:35 PM #43
I'm actually gonna comment on something other than the iPhone :)

I was dissapointed again to see that Apple fails yet again to release something that can compete with Exchange/Outlook Web Access. As they are getting more and more integrated with enterprises (which they obviously are trying to do, if you listened to the keynote today with every other word seeming to be "enterprise"), the one thing that OSX or Apple have never provided is an alternative to Outlook / Exchange web access. I was just really surprised that they haven't yet really released a good mail server. I suppose they are just gonna go the "get everything to work with Outlook and Exchange and we'll be alright" route (which frankly, as it stands, is probably a good way to go since everyone has it).
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2008-06-10, 9:40 AM #44
Originally posted by mscbuck:
I suppose they are just gonna go the "get everything to work with Outlook and Exchange and we'll be alright" route (which frankly, as it stands, is probably a good way to go since everyone has it).

Seriously, it would be futile to try and get big business to move from Exchange.
2008-06-10, 10:39 AM #45
Originally posted by gbk:
The method he mentioned requires an ssh daemon running on the iphone to facilitate scp transfers of the ringtones. Not exactly trivial, and certainly outside the range of feasible options for the stereotypical iPhone owner.

What the hell? Couldn't be further from the truth.

Use Audacity, load an MP3, select up to thirty seconds of whatever song you want to make a ringtone out of, save it as MP3, then change the extension to m4r, and double click it. Then all you have to do is sync your iPhone.

That's it. That's how you get your own custom ringtone on the iPhone.
2008-06-10, 11:21 AM #46
I was just about sold on this...and then I read into AT&T plans. It looks like all plans will be more expensive than they were before. I might have been willing to pay $60/month for the next 2 years, but I'm not sure I want to pay any more than that.

It's things like this that make me hate apple.

And fanboys.
2008-06-10, 11:30 AM #47
Originally posted by Murc XIII:
I was just about sold on this...and then I read into AT&T plans. It looks like all plans will be more expensive than they were before. I might have been willing to pay $60/month for the next 2 years, but I'm not sure I want to pay any more than that.

It's things like this that make me hate apple.

And fanboys.

From what I understand (as of yesterday) only their unlimited data plan is going up, from $20 to $30 a month.

I doubt their calling plans will go up, as that'd give Verizon a huge edge over AT&T.
2008-06-10, 11:45 AM #48
Um, it isn't Apple's fault.

Also, it's not like you're paying $10 more for the same service. It's 3G now.
2008-06-10, 11:55 AM #49
Dude wasn't I just saying data plan costs would go up?
2008-06-10, 11:57 AM #50
Rob is Master of the Obvious.
Pissed Off?
2008-06-10, 11:58 AM #51
They were ignoring me ranting about it in the chat last night. >: (
2008-06-10, 12:47 PM #52
I'm curious. There is a lot of new stuff coming with the firmware. Hardware-wise, what has changed? A 3G chip, and a new backplate? Or did they add a real GPS chip as well? I thought I was reading that is was just providing GPS information from the towers.
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2008-06-10, 12:49 PM #53
Real GPS chip.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-06-10, 12:55 PM #54
Wait, I can't use homebrew apps on the new phone? Also, I doubt I'm going to get a sweeter plan with AT&T than the 20 dollars a month I pay right now...
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-06-10, 12:56 PM #55
AT&T has a $20 a month plan, but it's only like 200 day minutes, 500 weekend and night, or some ****.
2008-06-10, 1:00 PM #56
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Wait, I can't use homebrew apps on the new phone? Also, I doubt I'm going to get a sweeter plan with AT&T than the 20 dollars a month I pay right now...

No one's quite sure. We're all kind of waiting for the iphone 2.0 firmware before anything happens.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-06-10, 1:03 PM #57
I mean, I'd be willing to pay maybe 40 bucks a month for 2 years, but that's about it. The only reason why I'd really want an iphone is that the ui isn't mind numbingly stupid, and that I could use the GPS feature quite a lot.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-06-10, 1:06 PM #58
Originally posted by JediKirby:

My whole family (3 phones) gets 500 minutes day, unlim weekend/tmo-to-tmo/nights, unlimited (within reason) data, for like $65, from T-Mobile here. And their coverage in my experience is ridiculously better than the other carriers, especially considering the free roaming deals they have.
2008-06-10, 1:35 PM #59
That's actually what I get through AT&T and my family. But I don't get to keep that if I get an iPhone, do I?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-06-10, 1:51 PM #60
You probably have to make another contract commitment of atleast 2 years.
2008-06-10, 2:18 PM #61
And you'll need to change your plan if you intend to use any of the bigger features of the phone (you need data).
2008-06-10, 2:35 PM #62
Originally posted by Vegiemaster:
I'm curious. There is a lot of new stuff coming with the firmware. Hardware-wise, what has changed? A 3G chip, and a new backplate? Or did they add a real GPS chip as well? I thought I was reading that is was just providing GPS information from the towers.

It does have a real GPS chip. My understanding is that A-GPS basically means when it can't get a GPS signal, it uses the cell towers. Pretty much the best of both worlds.

As for the plan stuff, I think I read a data plan is mandatory. If you don't want data, best bet is probably to get a v1 iPhone, jailbreak it, and use it with whatever GSM carrier you desire. Of course, you'd be SOL if you want GPS.
2008-06-10, 2:35 PM #63
I don't know how easy those are to turn off either.

On my phone it's just one option I can turn on or off.
2008-06-10, 2:40 PM #64
Yeah, I don't think I'll be getting an iPhone until I move away from home next year, and have to get my own plan.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-06-10, 3:41 PM #65
T-mobile does have superior pricing on their plans (except in my case, I have unlimited everything for $80 a month), unfortunetly they have absolute crap for coverage in my area. Can't even get any reception where I live :(.

I believe the new iPhone is cheaper only because they're offering contract discounts with it. When I bought my iPhone, I didn't have to renew my contract (not that there was an option to) or anything. Just like purchasing a new phone.
2008-06-10, 5:02 PM #66
Its cheaper because of contract updates and cutbacks on materials - plastic back instead of aluminium back, non-included dock, and a cheaper power adapter.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2008-06-10, 6:15 PM #67
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
Its cheaper because of contract updates and cutbacks on materials - plastic back instead of aluminium back, non-included dock, and a cheaper power adapter.

Well yea but if that's all the cutbacks they did it's mostly contract then. A plastic back and non included dock isn't worth $300. I dunno how the power adapter could be any cheaper it's just an adapter to a USB cable.

↑ Up to the top!