Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → It's like the Scarlet Letter, except weird and an R
It's like the Scarlet Letter, except weird and an R
2008-06-14, 12:33 PM #1
http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/06/13/branded.ap/index.html

Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) -- A college student who branded a date's body with a scalding piece of metal as payback for never calling her after they had sex was sentenced to five years in prison Friday.

Quote:
The branding "iron" was actually a length of metal wire fashioned into a "R" -- heated, and applied to Samir's torso, said Tracy Golden of the Manhattan district attorney's office. She said prosecutors did not know what the "R" stood for.
一个大西瓜
2008-06-14, 12:36 PM #2
What's a crime in the U.S. is normal sexual behavior in Germany.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2008-06-14, 12:53 PM #3
5 years? That's a bit extreme.
2008-06-14, 12:58 PM #4
We have some seriously disturbed people in the world.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2008-06-14, 1:01 PM #5
Originally posted by IRG SithLord:

Lets hold you up, stick a scalding piece of metal into your skin and hear you say differently.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2008-06-14, 1:02 PM #6
Go for it.

Prison? Yes. 5 years? No.
2008-06-14, 1:03 PM #7
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
Lets hold you up, stick a scalding piece of metal into your skin and hear you say differently.

K. Glowing welding rods are good at closing deep cuts...
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2008-06-14, 1:12 PM #8
5 years is normal for a first case of aggravated assault. She'll get out in 3.
2008-06-14, 1:17 PM #9
So long as she doesn't carve the next letter into a guard.
nope.
2008-06-14, 1:18 PM #10
It's not like she got mad and punched him...she carefully crafted a brand out of wire into a meaningful shape, heated it up, found him and branded him. THAT IS INSANE PERSON STUFF. You're saying 5 years is too much for that? Sounds roughly right to me.
Warhead[97]
2008-06-14, 1:51 PM #11

Er, what? We're talking about a pretty serious, premeditated assault. Frankly I think she should get five years just for thinking that a one-night stand is any kind of basis for revenge. :v:

Also, I have it on good authority that the R stands for "Return my calls you *******."
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2008-06-14, 2:27 PM #12
Or "rapist"
Warhead[97]
2008-06-14, 2:29 PM #13
5 years is a little harsh, but it's refreshing to see a woman get an unfair sentence instead of a man.
2008-06-14, 5:26 PM #14
It just goes to show you.. be careful who you sleep with, she might turn out to be a crazy *****
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-06-14, 5:44 PM #15
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
Er, what? We're talking about a pretty serious, premeditated assault. Frankly I think she should get five years just for thinking that a one-night stand is any kind of basis for revenge. :v:

Also, I have it on good authority that the R stands for "Return my calls you *******."

You gonna give me 5 years if I put a cigarette out on you? :P
2008-06-14, 6:05 PM #16
Personally I'd give you a cracked jaw.

:P
nope.
2008-06-14, 11:18 PM #17

That's not even a little bit comparable. :colbert:
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2008-06-14, 11:37 PM #18

Read the article. She essentially lured him into a hotel and then ambushed him in there.

So yes, if you were to ambush me with a cigarette I would hope youd be put away for some time :P
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-06-14, 11:41 PM #19
Cigarette?

I'd use a cigar.
2008-06-15, 1:59 AM #20
Yeah, the 5 years clearly comes from the meticulous planning. Sick bint.
2008-06-15, 4:33 AM #21
Originally posted by Martyn:
Yeah, the 5 years clearly comes from the meticulous planning. Sick bint.

no no.

she's a *****. the guy is the ibn.
2008-06-15, 5:31 AM #22
This is probably a marketing scheme and the R is for Rock Band or something.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2008-06-15, 5:59 AM #23
They probably meant to make it a K.
2008-06-15, 7:59 AM #24
5 years makes a lot of sense. It'll give her enough time to realize why branding a human being is not a proper social response to anything.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-06-15, 10:21 AM #25
In this country, that is.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2008-06-15, 10:32 AM #26
In most.
nope.
2008-06-15, 10:43 AM #27
That's one of those situations that I probably would have ended up hitting a girl, if only to get away. If you come at me with a hot piece of metal all bets are off.
2008-06-15, 10:46 AM #28
Err, he had 2 blokes holding him down.
nope.
2008-06-15, 11:05 AM #29
Ahh, that explains it. It also makes this even more weird. Are the other guys going to jail as well?
2008-06-15, 11:47 AM #30
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
That's one of those situations that I probably would have ended up hitting a girl, if only to get away.

I don't understand the "never hit a girl" mentality. Why are girls any different than guys? Are people more willing to throw mindless aggression at a guy? You shouldn't be hitting anyone without good reason.

I mean, if it's because girls tend to be smaller or more delicate, that sort of makes sense, but then you should be just as hesitant to hit a skinny, nancy emo kid.

Er, bad example, but you see.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-06-15, 12:06 PM #31
I hit people who deserve it.

I treat women like people and not objects of sex.

Hence, I hit women. Regularly. I have a routine.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2008-06-15, 12:09 PM #32
Originally posted by Emon:
I don't understand the "never hit a girl" mentality. Why are girls any different than guys? Are people more willing to throw mindless aggression at a guy? You shouldn't be hitting anyone without good reason.

I mean, if it's because girls tend to be smaller or more delicate, that sort of makes sense, but then you should be just as hesitant to hit a skinny, nancy emo kid.

It probably has to do with tradition (from when, I dunno) more than anything. And the root of that tradition was probably not the mentality that girls are more delicate, but something like (this is just an example and probably not true) the "women are morally superior to men" (and thus we have to keep them safe) of the Victorian era, or something like that.
一个大西瓜
2008-06-15, 12:24 PM #33
I would posit that white knighting stems from Germanic and Celtic influences, which aggrandized femininity and symbols of fertility to the point that many 'powerful' words were associated with a feminine gender rather than the masculine gender that's seen in modern Romance languages. This is in contrast to the patronage and authority present in Abrahamic religions and peoples, who generally have a much more dictatorial perspective of the female gender.
2008-06-15, 2:18 PM #34
Am I the only one who finds Testagrossa's surname particularly funny?
2008-06-16, 9:12 AM #35
Maybe if she wasn't such a whore that wouldn't have happened... some people.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2008-06-16, 9:31 AM #36
Originally posted by Recusant:
Am I the only one who finds Testagrossa's surname particularly funny?

Translates to something like Big Head.

(testa = head grossa = big/large)
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-06-16, 10:51 AM #37
Originally posted by Emon:

I think the idea is that males are usually stronger than females, and are supposed to fulfill more of a protector role. There aren't just physical issues, women responded differently to violence psychologically, especially in relationships.

Also, probably because it's considered cowardly to attack someone much weaker than you, and no male would ever want to admit that a women could beat them up. I imagine the exception "unless the women is stronger than the man" fell out of use so fast in never existed in the first place.
2008-06-17, 9:34 AM #38
Originally posted by Spook:
Hence, I hit women. Regularly. I have a routine.

I laughed.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-06-17, 10:25 AM #39
If I did roughly the same act but to a young woman, I bet the reaction would be entirely different. If I lured this woman into a hotel room, ordered fellow men to grab her and prevent her escape, took out a Taser and shocked her, waited for her to fall to ground in pain in order to beat her with my shoes, and laughed at her misery while I applied "a scalding piece of metal" to scar her skin against her will, I'm pretty sure people will think 5 years would be justified. And what if this act wasn't about past romantic issues? What if this act was done because the woman was of a certain race and I just hate that particular one. Reasons could be anything really and alot has to do with descriptions of events, but I'll still be considered a monster.

She's obviously mentally unstable if she feels okay to laugh at the scarred victim after such an assault. I believe she deserves to be locked up away from society for 5 years, if not more, if the woman thinks this was an adequate resolution to such a trivial matter. Not to mention this was planned in advance instead of a spurr of the moment occurrence (like after a few drinks or something) just shows what kind of person she is. It's just "not a big deal" because it's a woman who is the criminal, which may be kinky to some, and it's somewhat humorous in the fact there is now a random "R" on the man's body. But besides that, no ones seems to care about the possible psychological impact on the victim after such an event, even if he's a man. Because things like rape is just surprise sex, amiright?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-06-17, 3:06 PM #40
You people who think five years is too harsh scare the **** out of me.

I wonder how big the brand was.

↑ Up to the top!