Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Any ways to make Vista less useless?
Any ways to make Vista less useless?
2008-06-26, 12:40 PM #1
Right, it's been a few months and I'm at the end of my tether with Vista. Everything that you might hate about a Windows OS is perfectly embodied in this stupid, bloated piece of ****.

Vista's idea of 'security' is to flood you with popup boxes until you've lost the will to do whatever it is you were trying to do. Seriously, it takes three confirmation boxes to delete one file? And that's only if I have access to it!

There are files on my own computer that I don't even have access to! I'm the only person that uses this computer, and I have Administrator access, and yet I can't access a curious variety of own folders (like 'Application Data', where various temp files from failed Messenger transfers are stored! and that's another thing, why does Messenger insist on saving to C: and then copying to where I want it to save, rather than save there directly! grr)

This isn't just an empty rant, I need ideas on how to make Vista remotely useable. I've disabled the 'User Account Control' (though that doesn't seem to have reduced the number of popup boxes though) and the silly desktop 'greying out' feature, is there anything else I should do?

An operating system has never felt this much like masochism since I tried Linux.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2008-06-26, 12:42 PM #2
You know.. you can turn all that **** off
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-06-26, 12:43 PM #3
You can press shift+delete to get rid of stuff.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2008-06-26, 12:45 PM #4
Vista is a turd, people who have it try to defend it, but it is a turd.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2008-06-26, 12:48 PM #5
Helio is an overpriced turd.

The people that get overcharged for another networks services and pay for expensive korea phones try to defend it, but it's a turd.
2008-06-26, 12:50 PM #6
Vista is coming out soon with a security update that won't allow programs to install things as a service automatically, in laymen's terms. Which is going to suck.

I dualboot linux and vista, I'm in linux 90% of the time. Vista isn't horrible like everyone makes it out to be, but it is annoying to me personally.
2008-06-26, 12:50 PM #7
Other people seem to think so, but I genuinely like it.

If I didn't I'd replace it with XP already.
nope.
2008-06-26, 12:53 PM #8
start believing in creation
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-06-26, 12:54 PM #9
Originally posted by Rob:
Helio is an overpriced turd.

The people that get overcharged for another networks services and pay for expensive korea phones try to defend it, but it's a turd.

Haha! You're a turd!

:downswords:
2008-06-26, 12:54 PM #10
Your mom is a turd.

Which makes you a turd baby poop head.
2008-06-26, 12:57 PM #11
lmao my mom really is a turd...
2008-06-26, 1:05 PM #12
poo juice
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-06-26, 1:06 PM #13
Jenkem
2008-06-26, 1:11 PM #14
MARGERINE!
nope.
2008-06-26, 1:11 PM #15
Kopi Luwak
2008-06-26, 1:14 PM #16
poo juice
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-06-26, 1:18 PM #17
poo gas
2008-06-26, 1:56 PM #18
The first two posts were relevant, then Rob derailed with a reference to another thread which was completely unnecessary, and the last few posts are complete garbage. Nice going, guys.

Mort, why not just revert to XP? It's not like Vista is a requirement yet.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2008-06-26, 2:05 PM #19
Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
Any ways to make Vista less useless?

Any ways to make you stop posting?
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2008-06-26, 2:08 PM #20
Vista a requirement? Pffft...
2008-06-26, 2:09 PM #21
Windows already announced their next thing didn't they?
Something tells me they've given up on vista
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2008-06-26, 2:14 PM #22
Originally posted by Krokodile:
The first two posts were relevant, then Rob derailed with a reference to another thread which was completely unnecessary, and the last few posts are complete garbage. Nice going, guys.

Mort, why not just revert to XP? It's not like Vista is a requirement yet.

I thought everyone realized that Rob is the cause of most of the problems on these forums.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2008-06-26, 2:15 PM #23
Originally posted by Commander 598:
Any ways to make you stop posting?

What has he posted that wasn't up to par with the forum's standards? And "this thread" would be a wrong answer.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2008-06-26, 2:21 PM #24
Kroko has become so aggressive lately.

This development fills me with joy. Our boy is becoming a man of internets.
2008-06-26, 2:24 PM #25
This isn't just an empty rant, I need ideas on how to make Vista remotely useable. I've disabled the 'User Account Control' (though that doesn't seem to have reduced the number of popup boxes though) and the silly desktop 'greying out' feature, is there anything else I should do?

Then you didn't turn it off. I receive no more "popups" than I do in XP once UAC is disabled. Also, I have absolutely no issue accessing any folder on my system, including application data folders.
2008-06-26, 2:25 PM #26
Application Data is precached stuffs for fasts starts and smooth runnings is it not?
2008-06-26, 2:26 PM #27
No, it isn't. That's precache and in a totally different area.

Appdata contains your local and roaming profiles, which has stuff like your Firefox profile, Outlook database, and tons of program settings.
2008-06-26, 2:35 PM #28
Oh.
2008-06-26, 2:38 PM #29
A big "security warning" pop up comes each time one boots into Vista.
2008-06-26, 2:44 PM #30
I must be missing it. :(

WTF, my vista is busted!
2008-06-26, 2:45 PM #31
Well, it's not big, but it's a red shield with a tip box thing.
2008-06-26, 2:48 PM #32
At first I thought we were joking around.

Now I can't tell on internet. :(
2008-06-26, 2:55 PM #33
Originally posted by Anovis:
Well, it's not big, but it's a red shield with a tip box thing.

Turn it off. Go into security center and click the "Change the way Security Center alerts me" link on the left.
2008-06-26, 2:56 PM #34
[http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/loldog-cute-puppies-it-puppy-hates-vista.jpg]
2008-06-26, 2:57 PM #35
Oh, are you talking about when Vista gets butthurt over turning stuff off so it puts a thingy in your systray?

XP did like the same thing starting with SP2
2008-06-26, 3:14 PM #36
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
[I.T. Puppy]

That sure looks like XP...
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2008-06-26, 3:33 PM #37
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
[http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/loldog-cute-puppies-it-puppy-hates-vista.jpg]

1. That's XP on the screen.
2. Have you ever actually used it or are you just another ****wit that's jumped on the "I'M AGAINST MICRO$OFT, LOOK AT ME I'M IRONIC" bandwagon?
nope.
2008-06-26, 4:27 PM #38
No, the picture just made me laugh. I could care less whats on THAT screen.
2008-06-26, 4:46 PM #39
Vista's idea of 'security' is to flood you with popup boxes until you've lost the will to do whatever it is you were trying to do. Seriously, it takes three confirmation boxes to delete one file? And that's only if I have access to it!

:carl: really? cause it doesnt take me 3 confirmation boxes.

Quote:

There are files on my own computer that I don't even have access to! I'm the only person that uses this computer, and I have Administrator access, and yet I can't access a curious variety of own folders (like 'Application Data', where various temp files from failed Messenger transfers are stored! and that's another thing, why does Messenger insist on saving to C: and then copying to where I want it to save, rather than save there directly! grr)

Youre doing it wrong. CCleaner easily gets rid of those, I know for a fact.

Quote:

An operating system has never felt this much like masochism since I tried Linux.

Masochism is quite the big word right there. I left UAC on and i only ever see it when Im going to install something (which isnt every day) or if im attempting to access msconfig or something.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-06-26, 4:50 PM #40
what MB said.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM

↑ Up to the top!