Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Any ways to make Vista less useless?
Any ways to make Vista less useless?
2008-06-26, 7:01 PM #41
What are you doing to your machine that requires consistant elevated access? I leave the UAC on and I haven't gotten that popup in days..probably weeks now that I think about it. I use a **** ton of Vista stuff, primarily the start menu.

Also. WFP (once you get the hang of it) development is :awesome:.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2008-06-26, 9:58 PM #42
Yeah, same here as MB and JG. Also, I have access to App Data soo ... I dunno what's going on with you.

Also, it's recommended (although I guess a bit more annoying) to have an admin account registered and use a non-admin account normally, and just type in your admin password when UAC pops up. To me it almost feels like sudo ... but more anal and compulsive.
一个大西瓜
2008-06-27, 12:28 AM #43
The only time I ever get a UAC popup is when I'm installing something or when I need to run a program as admin (which is next to never).

You're doing something wrong if you're getting UAC popups more than a few times a month.

There are a few tweaks you can do, like the greying out of the screen can be turned off, i think it's a registry setting that you need to change a value of. click

Might want to check this and this out too

Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
Vista is a turd, people who have it try to defend it, but it is a turd.

And people who don't know what they're talking about will ***** and moan that they don't know how to use something and call it bad because they don't know what they're doing with it.
2008-06-27, 8:21 AM #44
Originally posted by Anovis:
I dualboot linux and vista, I'm in linux 90% of the time. Vista isn't horrible like everyone makes it out to be, but it is annoying to me personally.

Same here.
2008-06-27, 2:49 PM #45
The only problem with Vista is the inconsistent UI, but I don't find it that big of a problem. It's quirky, more than anything. The mashup of UIs you'll find on a Linux distribution is far worse. The majority of Linux developers do not know one thing about proper UI design.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-06-27, 2:52 PM #46
Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
There are files on my own computer that I don't even have access to! I'm the only person that uses this computer, and I have Administrator access, and yet I can't access a curious variety of own folders (like 'Application Data', where various temp files from failed Messenger transfers are stored!

Sounds like PEBKAC, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to access appdata.

You know, the reason "Administrator" doesn't have access to everything is because Windows' security model actually makes sense. System files are usually owned by the System or TrustedInstaller accounts, which makes it significantly harder for malware (and you) to damage the system. If you really want to be :downs: like Linux where root can nuke everything in a single stroke, you could probably set ownership to Administrator on the entire system.

It's funny how Linux zealots have been hammering on Windows for years because of its security, but when Vista implements a similar, nay, better security model, they hate it even more! Haha! :downswords:
2008-06-27, 2:58 PM #47
Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
I can't access a curious variety of own folders (like 'Application Data'

That would be because it's been renamed to AppData, which you can access perfectly well. Application Data is only put there for badly coded legacy apps to use, and to prevent new apps from being badly written to use it it blocks their access. [http://images.mzzt.net/smilies/emot-eng101.gif]

Also Windows has blocked folders from Administrator access since at least XP. System Volume Information is only allowed to be accessed by the System account, which is a good thing since it means if you get viruses they can't write to it either. At least ideally. It's not hard to impersonate System.

2008-06-27, 3:00 PM #48
Also, I hate applications that hijack my Documents and user folders for application data purposes. %appdata%, *******s! :rant:
2008-06-27, 3:02 PM #49
^-- Me too. Even Halo does this.

I just keep my documents in a different folder and I don't use %USERPROFILE%\My Documents.

2008-06-27, 3:05 PM #50
I don't have any of these problems.

You all realize that Windows 7 will be BASED on Vista, right? You can't seriously think otherwise, can you? Windows 7 has been described as an interim update, it will move all of the locations of your favorite settings again to make the UI more consistent, upgrade a few doodads, but for the most part it will just be Vista. They aren't adding new backend stuff to Windows 7 for the most part.
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2008-06-27, 3:42 PM #51
Originally posted by Krokodile:
What has he posted that wasn't up to par with the forum's standards? And "this thread" would be a wrong answer.

Well, I wasn't going to say "this thread" in the first place, I was going to say:

DIS THREAD.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2008-06-27, 7:31 PM #52
Oh my...I'm trying to move a folder to my Desktop. I'm an administrator for Vista.

It tell me I will need give it administrative permissions to process a file operation or whatever, I click continue. Another box comes up, says "Folder operation", I click continue. Then it says I need to give it permission, Try Again or Abort.

I click try again.

It pops up again.

I click try again.

It does this in a loop I guess.

I'm on a "Hate Vista" mood right now. Ubuntu is 100x better.
2008-06-27, 9:25 PM #53
Where is the folder being moved from? You probably don't own it, which means you probably shouldn't be mucking around in it.
2008-06-27, 9:30 PM #54
Permissions are all set for me to have full control. I still don't know if I "own" it, but I just created it in My Documents. After a reboot it moves fine.
2008-06-28, 8:52 AM #55
The legacy My Documents that MZZT was talking about or just "Documents"?
2008-06-28, 9:11 AM #56
Originally posted by Anovis:
Oh my...I'm trying to move a folder to my Desktop. I'm an administrator for Vista.

Same operation for me:

*right click --> move folder*

UAC prompt- confirm this move

*yes*

done
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-06-29, 10:09 AM #57
In response to the deleting thing. Its more annoying to delete a forum post than it is to delete a file in vista.

edit post
delete post
(3 options: Do not delete, delete, permanently delete.)
Do not delete is chosen (er.. why) *click* delete
then finally you hit delete again.

FAIL
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-06-30, 5:27 PM #58
I've been using Vista since July of 2006 and I don't have any problems.
MastaX
2008-06-30, 6:08 PM #59
I'm so glad I went out and bought an XP laptop for dirt cheap the DAY BEFORE vista was officially released.
2008-06-30, 8:25 PM #60
We're so happy you bought a laptop with sucky hardware that probably couldn't run vista anyways.
2008-06-30, 8:28 PM #61
Vista isn't really that hardware intensive as long as Aero isn't enabled.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2008-06-30, 8:33 PM #62
Which is like.. you know.. almost half the point.
2008-06-30, 9:33 PM #63
Magnets
D E A T H
2008-07-01, 7:08 AM #64
Originally posted by Rob:
Which is like.. you know.. almost half the point.

I forgot that shiny things attract your gaze.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2008-07-01, 7:10 AM #65
The entire point of Aero is the way things are being rendered, not how they look.
2008-07-01, 9:21 AM #66
otherwise Vista just renders like
gasp
xp
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-07-01, 11:18 AM #67
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
I forgot that shiny things attract your gaze.

Yeah, what Rob said. Aero uses GPU rendering as opposed to crappy-*** slow GDI. There's numerous benefits of this (especially for folks running multiple monitors).
2008-07-01, 2:03 PM #68
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Magnets

Nuh-uh.

LANDMINES.
2008-07-01, 2:42 PM #69
I just stumbled this today.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-07-01, 5:14 PM #70
Originally posted by JediKirby:

Yes, but does it actually DO anything?
2008-07-01, 5:20 PM #71
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Yes, but does it actually DO anything?

Nope. Doesn't matter though, cause Vista boots perfectly fine if your system configuration doesn't blow.
2008-07-01, 5:41 PM #72
OS loading is dependent mostly on disk read and seek times, so no, nothing.
2008-07-02, 3:31 PM #73
Originally posted by genk:
otherwise Vista just renders like
gasp
xp

actually, it doesnt seem to. in my experience, vista basic 2d is considerably slower than it was on XP, while 3d aero is considerably faster and always preferable.

it's kind of odd, i wonder if they removed some of the hardware 2d acceleration?
2008-07-02, 3:36 PM #74
Originally posted by JediKirby:

this is bad advice, will not speed up your boot time, and may in fact break your computer.
2008-07-02, 10:08 PM #75
Why?

(Not being sarcy, I'm just interested)
2008-07-02, 11:21 PM #76
if it matters to anyone, i just booted up my vista laptop and my xp desktop, they both got to the password screen at just about the same time
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-07-03, 5:25 AM #77
Originally posted by bradsh:
actually, it doesnt seem to. in my experience, vista basic 2d is considerably slower than it was on XP, while 3d aero is considerably faster and always preferable.

it's kind of odd, i wonder if they removed some of the hardware 2d acceleration?

The Vista Basic theme is a bit more complicated than the XP one, plus you have to remember support for larger icons and such.

↑ Up to the top!