Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Age of Conan?
Age of Conan?
2008-07-07, 4:33 AM #1
Heya folks, just wanted to see if any fellow -ians happen to be playing Age of Conan?
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2008-07-07, 9:32 AM #2
I hope to play once I get a new computer. My current system barely meets the minimum requirements.
? :)
2008-07-07, 9:40 AM #3
heheh the game is a bit riddled with performance bugs yet. Its been a better launch than most other MMO's out there, especially WoW, but its still got a good ways to come until full stability and good content.

Its very fun nonetheless. Rather than rushing through the levels (since 60-80 is a grind fest until they add their planned questlines) I'm trying out various classes. Conquerer and Assassin are fracking fun.
2008-07-07, 10:20 AM #4
I've heard the game isn't really complete yet, especially at the endgame.

I may take a peak at it in a couple months when that stuff gets sorted out.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-07-07, 10:33 AM #5
It isn't thats true, but neither was WoW when it was released. Sadly we hear this story/complaint every time an MMO comes out. Its fun to play now, but I'll bet that 6 month down the road with more content its gonna be rocking.
2008-07-07, 10:38 AM #6
Originally posted by Jep:
It isn't thats true, but neither was WoW when it was released. Sadly we hear this story/complaint every time an MMO comes out. Its fun to play now, but I'll bet that 6 month down the road with more content its gonna be rocking.

Yeah, but I started playing about 6 months into WoW, just as endgame was getting situated.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-07-07, 11:24 AM #7
I'm interested in it but am waiting for a trial.
2008-07-07, 11:36 AM #8
Originally posted by Aglar:
I'm interested in it but am waiting for a trial.

They've got buddy keys sent out with the games, but they are waiting to have servers capable of handling the serverload before enabling them. I guess unofficially they are waiting to have released more content.
2008-07-07, 2:47 PM #9
I will most certainly give the trial a play-through. Speaking of which, why wouldn't you launch with a trial of some kind?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-07-07, 2:52 PM #10
Probably because Jep isn't even part of their company.
2008-07-07, 2:52 PM #11
I heard there's titties. Confirm/deny?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2008-07-07, 3:25 PM #12
Confirm. Reasons to make a male character are minimal...

Syph, level 39 Ranger.
Attachment: 19681/Syph_picture022.jpg (62,771 bytes)
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2008-07-07, 5:20 PM #13
I play a lvl 37 Conqueror named Corlag on the Onn server. Pretty sweet, Conq is. They are a great solo and great party class. GO CIMMERIANS!!
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2008-07-07, 5:35 PM #14
Originally posted by Spork:
Confirm. Reasons to make a male character are minimal...

Syph, level 39 Ranger.

Syph... like in "syphilis"..?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-07-08, 2:01 AM #15
Maybe :ninja:
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2008-07-08, 3:59 AM #16
Originally posted by Freelancer:
I heard there's titties. Confirm/deny?

Confirmed. Whoever thought Night Elf chicks dancing on mail boxes was bad is in for a surprise.
2008-07-08, 4:02 AM #17
Originally posted by JediKirby:
I will most certainly give the trial a play-through. Speaking of which, why wouldn't you launch with a trial of some kind?

No MMO launches with a trial version, it kills first week sales and in most cases, on release, the game isn't polished enough. They make their money off pre-orders and hyped gamers, then take 6-ish months to iron out bugs, performance, balance and content, and then when the game's in good shape they come out with a trial.

No MMO out there that I can think of came out with a trial.
2008-07-08, 4:05 AM #18
The only shot I have >.< Yay for my upcoming UI mod

Mathrim, Assassin, 21

[http://wowfiction.net/pics/jepui/JepUIThumb.jpg]
2008-07-08, 9:19 AM #19
Does it have decent PvP or is it crap like most other MMOs?
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2008-07-08, 9:22 AM #20
worth getting y/n
2008-07-08, 9:29 AM #21
I like the PvP right now its mostly kill or be killed, or seige battles. They are fun but need some worth.

Worth getting.... Yes if you are patient with bugs and can wait and be a part of the game's growth. No if you're a whinny **** who expects the dev to fix everything the next day.
2008-07-08, 9:33 AM #22
As with most MMOs, wait a couple months. From what I've heard so far you're paying for a beta of the game.
--Garrison Keillor
2008-07-08, 9:34 AM #23
Man I don't even know if my computer can handle it.
2008-07-08, 9:37 AM #24
Originally posted by Anovis:
Man I don't even know if my computer can handle it.

AMD 4800+
2GB RAM
Radeon X1900XT

and it runs pretty bad in cities :P

Country side 20-30fps
Instances 50-100fps
City Hubs - 13-20fps
Baby Jesus - Weep

Right now they have several bugs crapping down on the performance though. I'm not sure what is going to happen with that... some bugs lingered for a long call in Asheron's Call and Anarchy Online. ._. Overall though, its still fun. Combat is worlds more fun than World of Grab Crotch, Drink Pepsi, Clickclickclick, Down Raid Bosses Craft.
2008-07-08, 7:00 PM #25
...what is the combat like?
2008-07-09, 2:05 AM #26
Combat is very satisfying. It's still an MMO at heart but you have to pay more attention to where you're swinging your sword. The main difference to a game like WoW is that you have to watch what your toon on screen is doing instead of just watching cooldowns tick down.

The game is fun, but dont expect finely tuned well-balanced MMO, it's quite a few months away from that. Currently they're patching at least once a week and there are still a lot of bugs. If you like MMOs, spraying blood, boobies, and dont mind reading patch notes I'd recommend picking it up.

My class Ranger is by far the most gimped in the game. We suck! It's all about future potential... And giant arrows.
Attachment: 19693/Syph_picture004.jpg (88,325 bytes)
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2008-07-09, 2:11 AM #27
Wow that's pretty, if not quite a bit unrealistic. That high in the mountains, the river would be a trickle, not a raging whitewater.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2008-07-09, 4:04 AM #28
Its a valley!

Combat is really involving in my mind.

For melee, (and I believe ranged bows), you are given a series of various combos, that have specific effects according to your classes. Damage, wounds (Damage over time), life stealing effects, mana burns, knockbacks, stuns, etc.

You are given 3 directions to attack from at first, left, forward and right. (At level 40, lower left and lower right are added). You first active a combo, where a little ui prompt tells you the directions you must attack in to active the combo.

So when fighting, you have to keep in mind what combo's you want to use, against whom, and which locations (left, right, top) are your opponents protecting the most.

While defense, parries, etc, are in essence a passive ability, you also have an active blocking button (x) which will boost your defense at the cost of stamina (which you spend for combo attacks). In addition, you can double tap movement keys to dodge left, right, back and forward, while in combat. Each direction you move in will give you a specific short time buff at, again, the cost of stamina.

Forward will give you a chance for your next attack to stun your opponent. Left and right make you harder to hit with magical spells (boosts your resistance) and back makes you harder to hit with melee.

Its a bit of a guitar hero lite meets mmo. I find it much more so involving than World of Warcraft, and I find that you need to adapt your moves, playstyle and spell rotation much more than in WoW because things differ GREATLY from fighting one mob, to two, to spell casters, to each various player classes.

EDIT :

Something fun I forgot about combat! Fatalities!!!

Every time you complete a kill with a combo, you have a chance to trigger a fatality, in which your character will dispatch his current target in one gruesome way or another. Those include a two-handed sword to the crotch, a spin around the falling enemy, and slashing his brains open as he falls face first on the ground. Or a sword thrust right through the chest as the player character presses his face up close to his enemy's, laughing. Or a dagger thrust to the aorta and thrusting them down into the ground. Or a decapitation. Or setting him aflame (Herald of Xotli), etc.

This triggers an extremely fast stamina (and I believe also mana for HoX's) regeneration rate.

EDIT 2 :

Spell casters have the typical spells/spellcasting moves, necromancers can have up to 8 undead pets following them, demonologists have a sucubbi or incubi.

There is a special system named spellweaving which you acquire sometime beyond 40, but I do not quite know how it works or what it entails.
2008-07-09, 4:08 AM #29
My class Ranger is by far the most gimped in the game. We suck! It's all about future potential... And giant arrows.

That is SO very very wrong, my friend. Hit level 80 with a Dark Templar and prepare to weep as no one wants you around. Your dps is pathetic, guardians and conqueror are better tanks than you (by a mile), and you only have self heals through combos. And in PvP the only thing you have going for you is, heh, your durability, which still leaves you useless because of a lack of burst damage. A pot generally will out heal your damage.

So, in the end, no one needs you around, and few are likely to spend a raid slot to have you along.

Rangers still do a GREAT deal of DPS in raids, which is their primary roles, so, in effect, they are neither gimp nor broken.

Now, do I agree they could use some help, especially on the PvP side? Yes, I do agree.

But they aren't the most gimped in the game.
2008-07-09, 5:19 AM #30
Let's not turn this into the AoC official forums (:suicide:), but you're right DT are probably the one class down there with Ranger. PvP we have a chance if (and that's a pretty big if) we get the drop from stealth and against any kind of soldier if we have a few things proc. We're not quite dead in the water but we dont bring much to the PvP table.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2008-07-09, 5:28 AM #31
Let's not turn this into the AoC official forums (:suicide:), but you're right DT are probably the one class down there with Ranger. PvP we have a chance if (and that's a pretty big if) we get the drop from stealth and against any kind of soldier if we have a few things proc. We're not quite dead in the water but we dont bring much to the PvP table.

Nah, I don't think this could turn into the AoC forums. We're both much more civil and I think we can discuss things. I'm not gonna forth at the mouth and call you a nub if you disagree with me. :P Hell the most tame person on those forums puts Rob to shame!

But yea, those soldiers are a *****! I can't do much against soldiers (except DT) with my Assassin either. Guardians outheal my damage, and its not because I don't have high burst damage either! Conquerors it will depend. Berserker specs that land a knockback on me pretty much dooms me unless I managed to critically wound him on sneak attack and opening. However their health regen might counter that. And Sins are probably the one class that rangers have a big time advantage over. You can track use and break our stealth with a blink of an eye. No sneaking up on joo!

Man what server do you play on?

My templar's on Wiccana but otherwise my others (Conquerer, Assassin, Herald of Xotli) are on Cimmeria.
2008-07-09, 7:14 AM #32
I play on Gwahlur, apparently it's the unnoficial Aussie server. Be nice if they didnt put downtime from 8pm Aussie time...
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2008-07-09, 7:16 AM #33
Yea, Funcom do seem to have some issues with... common sense. >.<
2008-07-09, 9:12 AM #34
If I can play Crysis on this computer but not Assassin's Creed, do you think Conan could play on it?

If not, I'm going to be a sad panda.
2008-07-09, 9:38 AM #35
I sadly am not up to date on system requirements.

My system :

Asus a8n deluxe mobo
AMD X2 4800+ cpu
2GB Corsair Value ram
X1900XT 512MB GPU
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2

I run the game on an average of 21-30fps outdoors. City hubs I take a dive at 17 avg fps.

I'm almost on full high settings with shadows off, but sadly, its engine troubles more than system performance that are bogging me down. I get about 5fps increase between lowest of low and my current settings. Rumor has it that tomorrow's patch brought some serious performance improvements on the test realm, so we'll have to see.
2008-07-09, 10:04 AM #36
Jepui?

Thats kind of.. aspergers....
2008-07-09, 10:09 AM #37
I'm tempted.
2008-07-09, 11:02 AM #38
Eh. I think I'll wait until Warhammer either way. If Warhammer tanks, hopefully Conan will be more stable by then.
2008-07-09, 11:10 AM #39
I don't know what will happen with Warhammer. I'm hoping it'll be great too. I'm more casual than I once was. I only play a few days a week, compared the 7 days a week every week for 2 years of WoW. :P
2008-07-09, 11:47 AM #40
Not really up on the latest hardware, what does a x1900XT 512 mb compare to in the nVidia realm?

↑ Up to the top!